Basset .....LOWE DOES INTERFERE

Delmary

The critical flaw to this is that Lowe is a man who will defend himself if others bad mouth him. The fact Bassett has not been handed a writ for Libel/Defamation of character from Lowe nor have TalkSport (BBC) received anything would make it true. Lowe has taken many people to court over remarks about him, with this being the biggest damnation one of all you would expect him to keep to his trend.

Thus meaning your defence of Lowe has no legs to stand on.

Except Basset's comments aren't necessarily defamatory. All we have to go on is someone making a summary of the comments - not the direct quotes themselves.

And, if they were only made last night means Lowe will have something like three years to take any action, should he so choose. The only people he has taken to court so far for defamation is The Times for comments which were without doubt libellous.

Except Basset's comments aren't necessarily defamatory. All we have to go on is someone making a summary of the comments - not the direct quotes themselves.

And, if they were only made last night means Lowe will have something like three years to take any action, should he so choose. The only people he has taken to court so far for defamation is The Times for comments which were without doubt libellous.

Depends on the truth of the matter. It all adds up.

Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out.

Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out.Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out.Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out.Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out.Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out.Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out.Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out.Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out.Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out.Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out.Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out.

Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out.

Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out.Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out.Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out.Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out.Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out.Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out.Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out.Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out.Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out.Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out.Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out. Lowe out.[/ WHAT YOU TRYIN TO SAY BOY?

Priceless, you guys hide behind the fact that there is no evidence, when the evidence comes to light you claim it's not such a big deal.

It's black and white, as far as I'm concerned that's one rumour substantiated, lets get on and prove once and for all that this club will be better of if Lowe and the rest of the c*uts f*ck off forever.

Who is hiding behind the fact? I have not seen one post where anyone is denying this did not happen or is plausible.

Originally Posted by St Marco viewpost.gif

The critical flaw to this is that Lowe is a man who will defend himself if others bad mouth him. The fact Bassett has not been handed a writ for Libel/Defamation of character from Lowe nor have TalkSport (BBC) received anything would make it true. Lowe has taken many people to court over remarks about him, with this being the biggest damnation one of all you would expect him to keep to his trend.

Thus meaning your defence of Lowe has no legs to stand on.

Critical flaw? This is ludicrous beyond belief. It is obvious from Satchel’s statements to the press that Lowe was asking him to play more of the youth. It is also apparent that this was ignored until we got to a low ranking cup game and they were all thrown in together, with very little chance of success. You feel that because Basset is not being taken to court for repeating the obvious gives further gravity to your conspiracy theory? There will be no action because it is obviously true, but trying to build a sinister plot around that basis is ridiculous.

The question that then needs an answer is "was Lowe correct in making the suggestion he did"? Well in my opinion, given the position we now find ourselves in and how we got here, it was paramount this was done. How do you think these decisions were made at Norwich and Palace? The manager off of his own bat decides he has had enough of all these old pro's and wants to play the youth players instead?

It would not worry me who made this decision, Mandaric, Crouch or Uncle Tom Cobbley. The chairman is there to make such influences / decisions because it can have significant impact on our ability to trade in the future.

The main criticism we have levelled at the team at present is we do not have the balance correct between the senior pro’s and the youth players. Well at that time we could easily have afforded the correct balance and saved so much funds to keep us going for a long time in the future.

It has to be asked, who would you go to to compile a list of good things?

There's.....

Oh and there's...

Not forgetting...er, what's his name?

But he built the stadium. Oh yes, and he arranged the finance for the stadium; and let's not forget we wouldn't have the stadium...

Well, I've never heard Strachan say a bad word about him.

I didn't... There's something about Lowe I don't like, I think it's his distaste for the fans, but there's no harm in making honest and genuine statements to put him down, rather than relying on fantasy... Unless this website has changed THAT much.

Who is hiding behind the fact? I have not seen one post where anyone is denying this did not happen or is plausible.

Critical flaw? This is ludicrous beyond belief. It is obvious from Satchel’s statements to the press that Lowe was asking him to play more of the youth. It is also apparent that this was ignored until we got to a low ranking cup game and they were all thrown in together, with very little chance of success. You feel that because Basset is not being taken to court for repeating the obvious gives further gravity to your conspiracy theory? There will be no action because it is obviously true, but trying to build a sinister plot around that basis is ridiculous.

The question that then needs an answer is "was Lowe correct in making the suggestion he did"? Well in my opinion, given the position we now find ourselves in and how we got here, it was paramount this was done. How do you think these decisions were made at Norwich and Palace? The manager off of his own bat decides he has had enough of all these old pro's and wants to play the youth players instead?

It would not worry me who made this decision, Mandaric, Crouch or Uncle Tom Cobbley. The chairman is there to make such influences / decisions because it can have significant impact on our ability to trade in the future.

The main criticism we have levelled at the team at present is we do not have the balance correct between the senior pro’s and the youth players. Well at that time we could easily have afforded the correct balance and saved so much funds to keep us going for a long time in the future.

Im getting confused as to who likes Lowe and who doesnt on this thread as it seems the sensible posters have turned up with decent arguments. Had to put up with mr ....... and his fantasys all day.

The thing that the sensationalists are getting mixed up with is the thought that Lowe is picking the team/formation/tactics on a daily basis rather than the normal input any chairman is entitled to give at any football club.

Sure we would be better off if he had nothing to do with our club but all the main shareholders have given good enough argument as to why they havnt got a clue and we all long for someone to come and buy us.

Have Crouch and Salz got the right credentials and backing to do a better job? Who knows? but I dont exactly get excited at the thought of them being at the helm although I would like to be convinced otherwise.

I wonder if the Echo run a story on this or if it builds more momentum. It would be nice to hear what Basset has to say to expand on it or clarify what he was trying to say. Would also be nice to hear what Lowe himself thinks about it.

IMO if there are any more reports they will just be to clear what was said and it will all die down rather than a public slanging match between all the ex managers and Lowe.

glad I am not the only one to be amazed at the reaction in this thread -go as far as saying comical in its hysteria!

storm in tea cup.

Football club Chairman attempting to pressurise his manager into selecting players he does not want to play , and you consider that a 'storm in a teacup' . Is there anything Rupert Lowe could do that would upset you ? :confused:

I would have thought most fair minded fans could agree that was quite a major issue at any football club at any time , but each to his own I suppose .

I didn't... There's something about Lowe I don't like, I think it's his distaste for the fans, but there's no harm in making honest and genuine statements to put him down, rather than relying on fantasy... Unless this website has changed THAT much.

Really? I haven't read anything on here from either side that doesn't seem genuinely felt - certainly nothing that slides into fantasy. Speculation maybe, but then none of us is in the boardroom (or I don't think 'we' are) - so what the hell.

What Lowe has failed to grasp, I would suggest, is that fans have real economic power when they are somewhere over two-thirds of the source of the club's revenue.

Thousands of fans have voted with their feet not because they hate Lowe specifically, in some class-warrior way, but because they feel alienated from a club that seems so to be more driven by a reckless pursuit of some kind of youth-team nirvana than produce a balanced team of experience and talented younger players. The 'shop window' trumps three points, week in, week out. It saps the will to live as a supporter.

The reason the Bassett remarks have been picked up is because it confirms what has has long been suspected, and it comes from a source without a current agenda at the club and with no specific axe to grind. It is credible.

If Lowe is in any way concerned by the way Bassett's comments have caused a stir, he should come out and properly clarify what it is he does and doesn't do. DoF or not? Adding names to the team sheet, or not?

I don't think he will though - I expect him to keep his sullen silence going for a while yet.

Edited by Roman

Rupert Lowe is trying to be innovative instead of using tried and tested methods

Clive Woodward - failure

Simon Clifford - failure

2 dutch coaches unproven in the english league - failure

Playing all youth players - failure

Our very own radio station - failure

why does he always feel the need to do things differently to successful clubs? it certainly hasn't given us an edge in any way shape or form.

Rupert Lowe is trying to be innovative instead of using tried and tested methods

Clive Woodward - failure

Simon Clifford - failure

2 dutch coaches unproven in the english league - failure

Playing all youth players - failure

Our very own radio station - failure

why does he always feel the need to do things differently to successful clubs? it certainly hasn't given us an edge in any way shape or form.

yea but our catering was second to none... once!

I'm sure there will be some truth in what Bassett said but he doesn't strike me as the brightest spark or as someone who would miss the opportunity to take a pop and distort the truth in the process. Consequently it could be the distorted truth.

I don't actually see the problem with a chairman telling his manager that the club needs to bring a certain quota of youngsters through into the first team.

I do see a problem with the chairman trying to pick the first team. But we don't know that's really quite how it happened.

As for Redknapp. Well his team selection was a resounding success wasn't it? And since when has Redknapp needed any sort of excuse to quit a club? He's now on his 3rd job where he's claiming it's his last before retirement. If something better comes up than Tottenham then he'll be off.

I'm sure there will be some truth in what Bassett said but he doesn't strike me as the brightest spark or as someone who would miss the opportunity to take a pop and distort the truth in the process. Consequently it could be the distorted truth.

I don't actually see the problem with a chairman telling his manager that the club needs to bring a certain quota of youngsters through into the first team.

I do see a problem with the chairman trying to pick the first team. But we don't know that's really quite how it happened.

As for Redknapp. Well his team selection was a resounding success wasn't it? And since when has Redknapp needed any sort of excuse to quit a club? He's now on his 3rd job where he's claiming it's his last before retirement. If something better comes up than Tottenham then he'll be off.

Typical reaction this. Well... since HR left he has gone one way and we have gone the other. And I love the way you make a character assasination on Bassett too. "Not the brightest spark and someone who would distort the truth"?

You obviously know him well to make such a judgement?

What is comical is how so many who think it is a storm in a tea cup either try and move the debate away from the real issues, start to insult others or miss the point entirely.

Firstly this has absolutely nothing to do with Lowe's background, his fondness for shooting or his preferred sport being hockey. To suggest otherwise is just diverting the issue.

Secondly there is nothing wrong with the Chairman/CEO dictating the parameters within which the manger manages, i.e. transfer kitty available, salary budget available and setting target & objectives. He should also be involved in contract negotiations, transfer negotiations and dealing with agents.

Thirdly, there is nothing wrong if the Manager/Head Coach decides he wants to go overwhelmingly with youth. That would be his decision and he would have to be judged on it.

But the problem comes from this part of the response from Basset:

Every week Harrys selection was picked over, every week Rupert Lowe insisted he included more youngsters, every week Harry resisted.

This clearly states that the Chairman/CEO is second guessing the manager, interfering with team selection and stepping into areas of detail that he should be nowhere near.

Once given the general parameters to work with the manager should be left to manage. Of course he should be overseen, reviewed and assessed, but the Chairman/CEO should in no way be interfering with team affairs on this level.

Now if Lowe was prepared to interfere at this level with someone as 'backward looking', 'dinosauric' and 'traditional' as Redknapp, just what level is he interfering with poor old puppet Jan?????

What is comical is how so many who think it is a storm in a tea cup either try and move the debate away from the real issues, start to insult others or miss the point entirely.

Firstly this has absolutely nothing to do with Lowe's background, his fondness for shooting or his preferred sport being hockey. To suggest otherwise is just diverting the issue.

Secondly there is nothing wrong with the Chairman/CEO dictating the parameters within which the manger manages, i.e. transfer kitty available, salary budget available and setting target & objectives. He should also be involved in contract negotiations, transfer negotiations and dealing with agents.

Thirdly, there is nothing wrong if the Manager/Head Coach decides he wants to go overwhelmingly with youth. That would be his decision and he would have to be judged on it.

This clearly states that the Chairman/CEO is second guessing the manager, interfering with team selection and stepping into areas of detail that he should be nowhere near.

Once given the general parameters to work with the manager should be left to manage. Of course he should be overseen, reviewed and assessed, but the Chairman/CEO should in no way be interfering with team affairs on this level.

Now if Lowe was prepared to interfere at this level with someone as 'backward looking', 'dinosauric' and 'traditional' as Redknapp, just what level is he interfering with poor old puppet Jan?????

This is a correct post.

I can't believe how many people fail to see the point Basset was making.

"He plays long ball, who cares....."

"We put lots of money into the academy..."

FFS - grow a brain. Desperate stuff.

glad I am not the only one to be amazed at the reaction in this thread -go as far as saying comical in its hysteria!

storm in tea cup.

Nick, you clearly want or feel the need to defend Lowe - as is your right.

But, I was told, by Harry Redknapp before he was our manager, that Gordon Strachan was getting very, very fed up with Lowe trying to influence team selections and which players to buy.

Why would he tell me this if it was a lie? At that time he was manager of CHAMPIONSHIP team Portsmouth and had NO axe to grind as far as Lowe was concerned.

There is a lot more to this than meets the eye and that you appear to be willing to accept.

This is a correct post.

I can't believe how many people fail to see the point Basset was making.

"He plays long ball, who cares....."

"We put lots of money into the academy..."

FFS - grow a brain. Desperate stuff.

Indeed.

What's more, the roles that Um describes as fitting for a chairman/CEO should surely be the preserve of the Chairman of the football club, where there is one, NOT the chairman of the holding company?

not hearing the quotes for myself I will take what has been said as what Basset said and think that we will either hear something from Lowe about it being a load of donkey balls or threaten court action or at least something as I agree now as I agreed before that it is pretty daming. Or we will hear from Basset with a statement of how he didnt mean it to sound like it did and Rupes just asked more questions than the run of the mill chairman type of rubbish.

either way I dont think we will get any nearer to the truth of what actually happens from lowe to manager or what happened back then. the thought of Rupes picking the team is absolutly mental and should not be tolerated by any manager but as we have been through a few im surprised more havnt popped up and said this is what happens. maybe now basset has, rednapp and strachen and gray will follow suit. cant see that happening either though.

Football club Chairman attempting to pressurise his manager into selecting players he does not want to play , and you consider that a 'storm in a teacup' . Is there anything Rupert Lowe could do that would upset you ? :confused:

I would have thought most fair minded fans could agree that was quite a major issue at any football club at any time , but each to his own I suppose .

source - Bassett - has said that it didn't influence manager and that was accepted and that he was happy to work in that regime -more than happy -applied for the job after seeing how lowe was. storm in tea cup.

and yes read my posts.

Nick, you clearly want or feel the need to defend Lowe - as is your right.

But, I was told, by Harry Redknapp before he was our manager, that Gordon Strachan was getting very, very fed up with Lowe trying to influence team selections and which players to buy.

Why would he tell me this if it was a lie? At that time he was manager of CHAMPIONSHIP team Portsmouth and had NO axe to grind as far as Lowe was concerned.

There is a lot more to this than meets the eye and that you appear to be willing to accept.

suppose its need rather than want -not out allegiance but to try to get some much needed balance.

It is obvious Lowe has had a problem retaining managers -huge problem and clearly significant in our relegation.

source - Bassett - has said that it didn't influence manager and that was accepted and that he was happy to work in that regime -more than happy -applied for the job after seeing how lowe was. storm in tea cup.

and yes read my posts.

Nick, please don't take this the wrong way and I mean no offence but you strike me as being the sort of bloke that if you caught Lowe in bed with your wife you would doff your hat and say "how was that for your, Sir?"

Probably completely out of order but you do seem to go a long way out to defend a bloke who is not worth defending.

just live is real world -interesting piece on sky sports news where interviewed like of Ray Wilkins how said most chairman are talking to managers daily about players, teams etc.

And also remember start of this is saying it was not forced therefore ignored suggestions and he wanted to work there as manager after seeing it!

More concerned with info above about him annoying WGS if true than this

posted much earlier in thread but this says how bad Bassett thought it was

says he is willing to allow the former England rugby coach greater involvement with the first team - something that Redknapp balked at. Indeed, the uninvited attempts by Woodward, during one training session, to show players such as Nigel Quashie how to kick a ball proved to be the final straw for Redknapp - who walked off shaking his head.

But Bassett says: "There's nothing wrong with having a different coach. Clive is a performance director and is very good on the analysis of Pro-Zone and some coaching methods that they used in rugby, the nutrition and certain things." He goes on: "Clive's not an ogre or anything like that. I'm sure he's got things to bring to the table that could be interesting."However, the former Wimble-don, Sheffield United and Nottingham Forest manager - to name just three of his seven clubs - also adds: "But it's not that he's all of a sudden going to take over the first team. Because I coach". Emphatically, he adds that he is not "a manager who sits in the office, on the phone" but one who expects to be out with the players.

Bassett's conciliatory approach is sensible given the decision taken by the Southampton board at their meeting on Thursday to back chairman Rupert Lowe and to allow Woodward an increased role with the first-team squad. Lowe would like to go further and give him full control, but it has been agreed that, probably, that will not happen before next summer at the earliest, and may have to wait until the year after.

Southampton are drawing up their shortlist of candidates, but say they will not be rushed into an appointment. The immediate targets are a cadre of young, forward-thinking managers such as Watford's Adrian Boothroyd and Brentford's Martin Allen. Interestingly, both are well-known to Woodward, as is Derby County's Phil Brown, while another who could be considered is the Northern Ireland manager, Lawrie Sanchez, who had wanted the Portsmouth job.

Bassett knows he may not fit the desired profile, but his weight of experience, and willingness to fit into the system being planned by Lowe, may help if the club cannot secure their favoured names. He will be in charge of today's meeting with Luton (whose manager, Mike Newell, is attracting covetous glances)with Dennis Wise.

Interestingly, Bassett also makes it clear that he and Wise, who, although 38, has a playing contract at Southampton, want to be regarded as a duo. He adds: "If I get the job I want Dennis to be with me and Dennis has said he'd want me. It's not like boss and assistant. We bounce ideas off each other".The two worked together at Wimbledon, of course, and, more recently, at Millwall, where the roles were reversed and Bassett assisted Wise. "We've spoken about it and think we can do a good job," Bassett says of the present situation. "We're confident. In the next 18 months, if we couldn't get Southampton up then we'd resign." Tellingly, he adds: "You always plan, but perhaps if it's not here then we might get a job somewhere else".

His current coaching contract expires at the end of January - "but contracts don't worry me," Bassett says - and he also dismisses Redknapp's statement that he always felt he was "keeping the seat warm for someone else" (i.e. Woodward).

"Every management job I've been in I thought that," Bassett says. "As sure as eggs is eggs you either leave or get the sack. So someone replaces you. There's no point worrying about that. You have to be flexible to survive." It's a credo that may stand him in good stead right now

and yes read my posts.

I'm not sure why I'm bothering but.....

Bit of selective editing there NickG? Just a bit, eh?

It influenced the manager to bugger-off.

He said he was happy because he could put up with it. How long for, we'll never know. I think the question of what effect does Lowe have and has had on the football side is slightly more pertinent than the question of what effect Lowe may have had on Harry Basset.

An excellent point well put. The comments from certain factions (criticising Bassett, the poster or bringing up anything other than the subject in question) should be treated with contempt, or better still, totally side stepped and ignored.

Lowe should stay well away from football matters. Arrogance blinds a man from learning, as evidence so clearly suggests.

Just think of it this way - Would you allow Jan to speak with the bank manager about overdraught extensions, close parts of the ground, make crucial financial decisions, budget for catering staff and oversee the general operations side of the business?! NOPE! Me neither. Stick to what you know...

Chairman (and executives supporting staff) = the running of the business, finances and administration.

Manager (and coaches & medical staff) = the coaching, fitness, selection, tactics and general well being of sporting side - the development & progress of the football squad.

Chairman (and executives supporting staff) = the running of the business, finances and administration.

Manager (and coaches & medical staff) = the coaching, fitness, selection, tactics and general well being of sporting side - the development & progress of the football squad.Thats all the role terms Lowe applied for,as Wilde said he wont be here 6months a year.Pity it was the first 6 months of the season!! lol ;)

'Their manager seems to be niave as well, he hasn't come to terms with english football yet. To many youngsters all at the same time.

I know their chairman Rupert Lowe claim its cost cutting, but having experienced some time there with Harry Redknapp. I know he was always wanting us to play the young players.

Every week Harrys selection was picked over, every week Rupert Lowe insisted he included more youngsters, every week Harry resisted.

Whilst Harry and I were in charge that was not a problem however annoying it was. Then Rupert got two of his buddies involved, one from a non league club, one from another sport.

This was the end of Harry he walked as soon as an offer came in. I stayed for a while but could see how the wind was blowing.

Several ex Saints managers warned me not apply for Harrys job, because Rupert had always interfered in their job on the same lines.

In the end I was not offered the job, probably Rupert knew I would ignore his orders.

Saints fans....

read this.

read this again.

It's both true and sums up the cancer in this club.

Please....

NORTHAM...

Stop supporting.... Start killing Lowe.

and yes read my posts.

Buy you're (deliberately ?) confusing two separate issues .

If you are referring to post 43 in your 'read my posts' advice (which I have) this seems to be a piece principally regarding Bassett's reported willingness to work with Sir Clive should he have become SFC manager - clearly this is quite a separate issue to Rupert Lowe pressurising his managers/coaches into selecting young players they do not feel are ready for the first team . I can only suggest you reread the thread starter .

I must repeat the club Chairman attempting to pick the team is most certainly a major issue at any football club and characterising it as a 'storm in a teacup' seems to me an excessively generous interpretation for any Saints fan to make .

I'm reminded of World War Two being described as 'a little local difficulty' !

Buy you're (deliberately ?) confusing two separate issues .

If you are referring to post 43 in your 'read my posts' advice (which I have) this seems to be a piece principally regarding Bassett's reported willingness to work with Sir Clive should he have become SFC manager - clearly this is quite a separate issue to Rupert Lowe pressurising his managers/coaches into selecting young players they do not feel are ready for the first team . I can only suggest you reread the thread starter .

I must repeat the club Chairman attempting to pick the team is most certainly a major issue at any football club and characterising it as a 'storm in a teacup' seems to me an excessively generous interpretation for any Saints fan to make .

I'm reminded of World War Two being described as 'a little local difficulty' !

I think people are reading Bassets comments of Every week Harrys selection was picked over and believing that it means Lowe was picking the team. Does the manager not pick the team from the squad he takes to each game not long before kick off? Could it be that the normal monday meeting they all have is when Lowe picks over Harrys selection?

Lowe - We have a a very good acadamy, are none of the youngsters ready for your team selection?

Harry - I dont think so

Lowe - My staff in the acadamy tell me 1 or 2 are ready for the step up

Harry - I have not seen enough about them to think they are but some might make the break through at some point

Lowe - I would like to see 1 or 2 get a chance like Dyer and Walcott as they seem pretty good, we also have 1 or 2 defenders that could be good and we always seem to come up short in defence.

Harry - tell you what I will throw them all in together in a random cup match and not give them too much instruction and you can see how good they are

Lowe - Listen saggy chops dont get your arse in your hand with me as I am still the boss, allot of money has been invested in bringing the youth through and there seems to be a gap between reserves and the old cronies you play instead. get it sorted or i will hunt you like a duck.

Harry - oh yeah Walcott is pretty nifty and that bale lad aint half bad too. Ill take back what i thought of the youth and ill take the credit for finding them. and now ill pee off cause i been out smarted by a hockey playing duck hunter with rosey red cheeks!!!!!

Just a random guess at a possible conversation between the 2. Surprisingly basset didnt have much to say, eiter that or he was rambling so much he was being ignored. lol

storm in tea cup.

Storm in a thimble.

Are we talking about the same Harry Redkanpp who was given £6m to spend to keep us up and who blew in on the likes of Davenport, Bernard and his crocked son?

Are we talking about th same Harry Redknapp who threw too many kids into one game to make a point and then publically humiliated them when they lost?

Are we talking about he same Harry Redknapp who, when he couldn't sigh Morrison threw his toys out of the prma and said he wouldn't bother looking for another striker?

If Lowe has such an all powerful force at St Mary's how come Redknapp called the shots?

I also recall the cyber football managers on here telling all and sundry that the old journeyman pros should be got rid of and the the "kids" could do no worse!!!

One final thing, let's remember that the "kids" at the time included the likes of Walcott and Bale, Mills and Blackstock. How many of those getting all pious on this thread threw their toys out of the pram when those players left?

Bassett has said quite clearly that Redknapp picked the teams, so what is the problem.

We got relegated and didn't set the world alight in the following season under Redknapp. What should the people running the club do? Nothing? Don't you think they are entitled to express opinions?

If Redkapp had wanted more support he had Woodward to call on (someone who knows something about winning) but we were told that Woodward was not allowed anywhwre near the first team squad.

In any business, when things are not going well, don't you pool your resources and look for new ways forward?

Not if you're Harry Redknapp (the man who left his "spiritual home" the minute he could see the cash drying up).

Still let the witch hunt continue, the masses always feel better when they have people to blame and burn.

Storm in a thimble.

Are we talking about the same Harry Redkanpp who was given £6m to spend to keep us up and who blew in on the likes of Davenport, Bernard and his crocked son?

Are we talking about th same Harry Redknapp who threw too many kids into one game to make a point and then publically humiliated them when they lost?

Are we talking about he same Harry Redknapp who, when he couldn't sigh Morrison threw his toys out of the prma and said he wouldn't bother looking for another striker?

If Lowe has such an all powerful force at St Mary's how come Redknapp called the shots?

I also recall the cyber football managers on here telling all and sundry that the old journeyman pros should be got rid of and the the "kids" could do no worse!!!

One final thing, let's remember that the "kids" at the time included the likes of Walcott and Bale, Mills and Blackstock. How many of those getting all pious on this thread threw their toys out of the pram when those players left?

Bassett has said quite clearly that Redknapp picked the teams, so what is the problem.

We got relegated and didn't set the world alight in the following season under Redknapp. What should the people running the club do? Nothing? Don't you think they are entitled to express opinions?

If Redkapp had wanted more support he had Woodward to call on (someone who knows something about winning) but we were told that Woodward was not allowed anywhwre near the first team squad.

In any business, when things are not going well, don't you pool your resources and look for new ways forward?

Not if you're Harry Redknapp (the man who left his "spiritual home" the minute he could see the cash drying up).

Still let the witch hunt continue, the masses always feel better when they have people to blame and burn.

You were going so well untill that point lol

I think Woodward could have been given a better go but the deciding factor was that Rupert Lowe was involved. Had we got a chairman with billions to spend and he was the one bringing Woodward in then I think the press and everyone else would have given it a fair crack to see if he can bring anything to the table.

I can't see why fans cannot 'question' what is something so close to their hearts?

I can't see why, if fans think that something is wrong, that they can't speak up without being called a mob, or that they're blowing it out of proportion?

The trouble with having fans that are easily dismissive, is that, when something terrible happens, we have no ground or motives to act upon, we become hypercritical in our actions.

If some fans want to 'question' the amount of input that the Chairman of the PLC has on the SFC, then they should. Just because you don't find it interesting or believe it, doesn;t mean that it doesn't go on. And this head in the sand approach is born oout by many of the pro-Lowe comments on here, claiming that some fans thinks he is 'picking the team'! Now that is just exaggerating the point to enable you to ignore 'the debate'. By pretending that you understand that Bassett claimed Lowe was picking the team, is actually proving that you haven't read, haven't digested and haven't formed an opinion on the matter at hand.

If you want to poo poo people's opinions, then read them and comment on them.

And because this is my last post for the next 24 hrs, I'd like to point you to my previous post in this thread, it isn't about whether Lowe picks the team or not, it's an opinion, based on the onformation available, and what 'I' believe. If you have an 'opinion' on this, please retort (wait 24hrs) and I will respond.

(P.S. not just aimed at you SOG, just had to say this again as Um Pahars had pointed this and other points out earlier, but some people are ignoring the debate)

(P.P.S, see you on the Bassett in the Echo thread :))

I can't see why fans cannot 'question' what is something so close to their hearts?

I can't see why, if fans think that something is wrong, that they can't speak up without being called a mob, or that they're blowing it out of proportion?

The trouble with having fans that are easily dismissive, is that, when something terrible happens, we have no ground or motives to act upon, we become hypercritical in our actions.

If some fans want to 'question' the amount of input that the Chairman of the PLC has on the SFC, then they should. Just because you don't find it interesting or believe it, doesn;t mean that it doesn't go on. And this head in the sand approach is born oout by many of the pro-Lowe comments on here, claiming that some fans thinks he is 'picking the team'! Now that is just exaggerating the point to enable you to ignore 'the debate'. By pretending that you understand that Bassett claimed Lowe was picking the team, is actually proving that you haven't read, haven't digested and haven't formed an opinion on the matter at hand.

If you want to poo poo people's opinions, then read them and comment on them.

And because this is my last post for the next 24 hrs, I'd like to point you to my previous post in this thread, it isn't about whether Lowe picks the team or not, it's an opinion, based on the onformation available, and what 'I' believe. If you have an 'opinion' on this, please retort (wait 24hrs) and I will respond.

(P.S. not just aimed at you SOG, just had to say this again as Um Pahars had pointed this and other points out earlier, but some people are ignoring the debate)

(P.P.S, see you on the Bassett in the Echo thread :))

I think what winds me up and maybe some others is the sudden jumping up and down claiming how evil lowe is, yet when the real facts and not the fabricated ones that are used to suit peoples agendas are available they are just dismissed them as if they mean something else. some kind of coded message to the resistance or something.

I dont like Lowe personally but untill there is a better alternative there is not much I can do about it.