Please don't embarrass us with any more clown costumes

dune

Scarves - Okay IMO, quite like seeing the old fashion bar style scarves. These are fine when worn with a winter coat in that season not worn with a t-shirt in the august and april FFS.

Agree about scarves. What do you think of these ?

http://www.savile-rogue.com/championship-c20/southampton-c130

That red and white cashmere one is lovely, bit pricey but still really classy (and that's my 3rd and final post wasted!!)

I'm not a frequent visitor to the club shop, however is it not them who sell the wigs, jester hats and foam hands? If so then they are probably quite happy about people buying and wearing them as it's all extra money for them.

Also are there only 2 acceptable brands of footwear? I'd better send back my Spanish, handmade leather Snipe boots then. Gutted. I'm also a bit confused as to how Pretty Green jeans are acceptable especially as they would have been designed by that complete cretin from Beady Eye. Next time I buy some clothes I better check they have been created by a talentless singer whose biggest audience since he formed his hilariously inept new band was last night after he decided to sit behind the microphone at the post match Manc derby press conference.

Oh and fancy dress at football is wrong, but then so is banging on about what shoes people should wear.

Scarves - Okay IMO, quite like seeing the old fashion bar style scarves. These are fine when worn with a winter coat in that season not worn with a t-shirt in the august and april FFS.

That red and white cashmere one is lovely, bit pricey but still really classy (and that's my 3rd and final post wasted!!)

Ive got one dont wear it that often but when I do its carefully worn under my Crombie overcoat or Barbour and of course only when its cold.

To be fair most people are getting lost in the fancy dress thing but as that video about the stretford end (cracking video btw) showed football in the this country really has lost something in recent years.

I guess the thing with fancy dress is that it's an easy target as it shows the creeping "Americanisation" of the game that's been happening for a while now. Of course people are nominally right in saying that folk should be able to dress however they want but let's look at this honestly, when you watch on tv and see away support like United, Leeds, Spurs, Bristol City, Celtic or Rangers - lads, dads and even families but not normally in colours and nearly all standing - then look at the foam hand fancy dress brigade which would most of you prefer to see?

Hell even my mum (in her 60's) commented on the Football league show by wondering why the hell they always interview the most embarrassing of our fans.

Still on the flip side it's great to see clubs like FCUM coming through the leagues and maybe with time that'll be the difference, the franchises and brands will have their own "entertainment" league and those of us that want something a bit more meaningful, passionate and ours will pick up smaller teams with some soul.

Oh and sadly it's only going to get worse next season, ticket prices will see to that. I just hope our first game isn't on TV as that'll have them out in force, instead it'd be nice to show people that going down to league one has made southampton football club a proper club, with real heart and soul. Rather than one of these corporate jokes that exists in the prem. I'm not however going to hold my breath on that one.

I understand your concern, but anyone who witnessed what it meant to players, NIge and the fans on promotion knows this club has nothing to fear with respect to losing ts soul... Costumes dont undermine it, families and kids enjoying themselves does not undermine it - and the definition of a 'proper club'? You are using 'your' definition, the definition of a few fans on various forums that think there should only be one type of fan, standing on a 70s terrace.

Colours weern't popular then because most clubs beyond a few elite only made kids kits and wearing colours would single you out for a good kicking on the way home if you ran into the away fans... those with a problem with this cant let go of something they either grew up with, or wish they had - and using a few 'proper' clubs as an example is just a way of trying to prevent a natural generational change - everyone looks back at youthful days and thinks they were better, but seriously if you believe that kids, and fans wearing colours and silly costumes takes the soul out the club, then you are mistaken... what rips a clubs soul out is when they dont bother going, when they give up, because a club is dying or they simply dont feel comfortable in the stands.

The nostalgia for those days is understandable, but not when you consider the reasons why football has been 'sanitised' - and we all know the reasons from Heysal to Hillsborough - it may have been directly linked to police mistakes and panic, but the cages and the panic about how football crowds might react based on previous experience led indirectly to those mistakes...

Families, seating, costumes and stupid hats may not be everyones 'ideal' but at least for the current generation its not symbolic of a loss of soul, but a reflection that football is safe and fun for all generations... if some think that is a bad thing, then its simply selfish.

Edited by Frank's cousin

What about a shiny silk one with a pair of tight jeans halfway down my asscheeks so my NEXT boxers are hanging out, with a nice grandad style t-shirt in white, with sky blue espardrilles & a Hollister baseball cap?

I'm not a frequent visitor to the club shop, however is it not them who sell the wigs, jester hats and foam hands? If so then they are probably quite happy about people buying and wearing them as it's all extra money for them.

Also are there only 2 acceptable brands of footwear? I'd better send back my Spanish, handmade leather Snipe boots then. Gutted. I'm also a bit confused as to how Pretty Green jeans are acceptable especially as they would have been designed by that complete cretin from Beady Eye. Next time I buy some clothes I better check they have been created by a talentless singer whose biggest audience since he formed his hilariously inept new band was last night after he decided to sit behind the microphone at the post match Manc derby press conference.

Oh and fancy dress at football is wrong, but then so is banging on about what shoes people should wear.

I like Snipe (not got a pair) also Sebago, Grenson, Trickers, Loakes, Timberland Boot Company (the top end ones), and my favorite Red Wing.

To be fair most people are getting lost in the fancy dress thing but as that video about the stretford end (cracking video btw) showed football in the this country really has lost something in recent years.

I guess the thing with fancy dress is that it's an easy target as it shows the creeping "Americanisation" of the game that's been happening for a while now. Of course people are nominally right in saying that folk should be able to dress however they want but let's look at this honestly, when you watch on tv and see away support like United, Leeds, Spurs, Bristol City, Celtic or Rangers - lads, dads and even families but not normally in colours and nearly all standing - then look at the foam hand fancy dress brigade which would most of you prefer to see?

Hell even my mum (in her 60's) commented on the Football league show by wondering why the hell they always interview the most embarrassing of our fans.

Still on the flip side it's great to see clubs like FCUM coming through the leagues and maybe with time that'll be the difference, the franchises and brands will have their own "entertainment" league and those of us that want something a bit more meaningful, passionate and ours will pick up smaller teams with some soul.

Oh and sadly it's only going to get worse next season, ticket prices will see to that. I just hope our first game isn't on TV as that'll have them out in force, instead it'd be nice to show people that going down to league one has made southampton football club a proper club, with real heart and soul. Rather than one of these corporate jokes that exists in the prem. I'm not however going to hold my breath on that one.

Good post. Sums the subject up very well.

Just maybe nobody on here actually dressed up.........if it bothers you and Dunce sooo much why not just ask the person who is dressed up whilst at the game.......doh, just realised my mistake, Dunce wasn't at the game was he, as he is such an f'ing uber fan he is probably too cool to go and be associated with such weird people.

Did you enjoy your promotion day w@nkin on the sofa Dunce, tab open on SWF and another for ladyboysRus.com? f'ing weirdo!

:lol:

They were two examples. There are several more, Manji has mentioned several more on the approved list.

Here are a few rules for those in doubt. please try and stick to them. What is and isn't acceptable to wear to football

Ok

Smart casual. Dress to impress dark denim jeans which are not faded and have multi pockets. Jeans must fit well. Smart trainers or shoes. For shoes Camper, Clarks originals are acceptable brands. A smart polo shirt or t-shirt and a jacket or well fitting top.

Replica shirts - okay IMO but not my thing. Dont not wear them over a jumper or hooded top. Wear them under a coat or you look like a *****.

Retro shirts - the best bet for a shirter and better than a normal shirt. Again not my thing but better than a relica shirt if its yours.

Not okay

Jester hats - you look like a c*nt. Middle aged blokes wearing them look like a single, loser virgin who lives with his mum.

Wigs - see above

Foam hands and face paints - you deserve to be ironed out

fancy dress - See Jester hats FFS.

this list is not exhaustive. Please try and adhere to it and not embarass the club next season.

KR

Turkish.

:lol:

Can you add beach balls and random inflatables of bananas, hammers & dolphins to that almost perfect list.

I understand your concern, but anyone who witnessed what it meant to players, NIge and the fans on promotion knows this club has nothing to fear with respect to losing ts soul... Costumes dont undermine it, families and kids enjoying themselves does not undermine it - and the definition of a 'proper club'? You are using 'your' definition, the definition of a few fans on various forums that think there should only be one type of fan, standing on a 70s terrace.

Colours weern't popular then because most clubs beyond a few elite only made kids kits and wearing colours would single you out for a good kicking on the way home if you ran into the away fans... those with a problem with this cant let go of something they either grew up with, or wish they had - and using a few 'proper' clubs as an example is just a way of trying to prevent a natural generational change - everyone looks back at youthful days and thinks they were better, but seriously if you believe that kids, and fans wearing colours and silly costumes takes the soul out the club, then you are mistaken... what rips a clubs soul out is when they dont bother going, when they give up, because a club is dying or they simply dont feel comfortable in the stands.

The nostalgia for those days is understandable, but not when you consider the reasons why football has been 'sanitised' - and we all know the reasons from Heysal to Hillsborough - it may have been directly linked to police mistakes and panic, but the cages and the panic about how football crowds might react based on previous experience led indirectly to those mistakes...

Families, seating, costumes and stupid hats may not be everyones 'ideal' but at least for the current generation its not symbolic of a loss of soul, but a reflection that football is safe and fun for all generations... if some think that is a bad thing, then its simply selfish.

I think you have an unhealthy obsession with football violence that probably needs dealing with.

It basically stems from an inferiority complex. Dress up in the right labels, hang around with other people who wear the same clobber and put down people who dont wear those labels and I'll be cool right? Er no, you'll be a sheep who betrays a lack of any independent thought. Last year Stone Island, this year Ma Strum, next year a lump of turd on toast if its photographed well and in the right magazines.

Have you been asleep for 5 years?

Have you been asleep for 5 years?

Im quoting from The Turkish book of fashion. He's still banging the drum for Ma Strum.

Personally I dont object to what anyone wants to wear. Its the lame fake orthodoxy that ****es me off - marketers dreams

Edited by buctootim

Who gives a stuff what labels you wear. Just be a normal bloke going down to the pub and football, not a middle aged man dressed as a clown with face paint and balloons, on a par with Skate bloody Westwood.

Normal?

I would have thought the one thing that we all now know doesn't exist in 2012 is normal. Define normal?

You can't - do you mean a man subgugated to some societal rules dependent on where he lives and perhaps the secular nature of his community?

There are over 100,000 self-proclaimed and practising Jedi in this country. More than dress up in red and white shirts and paint their faces.

So by rights, it would be totally normal for me to attend the opening game of next season in a robe and carrying a light-sabre.

In fact, I might petition this board to do just that.

Edited by Legod Third Coming

Im quoting from The Turkish book of fashion. He's still banging the drum for Ma Strum.

Personally I dont object to what anyone wants to wear. Its the lame fake orthodoxy that ****es me off - marketers dreams

It's a good brand Timothy. Well made,a good fit and don't see any bulbs in it. Therefore I doubt you own any of it.

You've obviously never been to any American sports, then.

Don't know the sociological or anthropological niceties but I would say dressing up in fancy dress is something very English. In part, its whimsical; in part, its self-deprecating; in part, its slightly surreal. The yanks are too earnest for that. Its also why fancy dress is most closely associated with the cricket and there's nothing American about cricket and its culture.

There is a difference to be made between what the yanks do- i.e. facepaint and foam hands and dressing up in fancy dress. And yes dressing up in fancy dress has always been around. There is nothing sterile or modern about it, even if it isn't my thing. Somebody posted a link to the Zulu army in the 1980s smashing up half of Selhurst park in fancy dress. I can point out hundreds of similar examples.

You've obviously never been to any American sports, then.

Don't know the sociological or anthropological niceties but I would say dressing up in fancy dress is something very English. In part, its whimsical; in part, its self-deprecating; in part, its slightly surreal. The yanks are too earnest for that. Its also why fancy dress is most closely associated with the cricket and there's nothing American about cricket and its culture.

There is a difference to be made between what the yanks do- i.e. facepaint and foam hands and dressing up in fancy dress. And yes dressing up in fancy dress has always been around. There is nothing sterile or modern about it, even if it isn't my thing. Somebody posted a link to the Zulu army in the 1980s smashing up half of Selhurst park in fancy dress. I can point out hundreds of similar examples.

You can't point our hundreds of similar examples, because there aren't any. Handful of the obvious.

You can't point our hundreds of similar examples, because there aren't any. Handful of the obvious.

Fancy dress (as opposed to facepaint/foam hands) and final day of the season go hand in hand. Our trip to Boundary Park has even become part of folklore. You might say that fancy dress has lost its wit; but its still fancy dress.

Yeah that was one of the obvious ones.

Every final game of the season I've gone since the late 80's has involved some kind of fancy dress, usually among the away fans. And Im sure its not just happened at our gaff.

Tell us what clothes you wear Timothy, I'm curious.

tbh I dont really mind what anyone wears, ideally a bit of individuality but each to own. I just find the intense concern on a webforum for what other people are singing, saying, wearing etc 'interesting'.

Personally not that interested in clothes most of the time. Got a suit and DJ by Tom Ford, couple more by Paul Smith but workstuff is cheaper like Daniel Hechter or Baumler. In the past have had stuff handmade in shot silk and also bought from M&S or Primark or Top Man. I have no foam hands or face paint but my 22 year old nephew says dressing up as a smurf is the best way to pick up girls.

Not at all. He's slagging off my brands of choice, Im interested to know his.

I dont give a stuff about what brands you buy. You're missing the point - which is that its easy to diss anyones choices and make out they are ****s for making those choices. No-one is the arbiter of good taste / humour. Each to their own.

If being inquisitive and 'how their mind works' and understanding was your aim' date=' you need to ask them.... but in a thread entitled 'dont embarrass us any more clown costumes' that is not the questuon being raised... and its pretty obvious that this is NOT what you are interested in... you just dont like it and annoys you... and you still dont answer why its so important to you what others wear to football.... suggesting it would merely highlight deep seated insecurities, ignorance and intolerance[/quote']

I've said why it bothers me on numerous occasions. Our zany fans that dress up in clown costumes and the like make us look ridiculous and give fans of other clubs a chance to mock us. You may not care about that but I do. I take pride in my football club and want others to be impressed by our club, from top to bottom. That includes the team, the manager, the ground, academy and the fan culture.

I await the deluge of "we don't care what others think" posts. Let me save you all the time and effort, I don't care that you don't care.

I've said why it bothers me on numerous occasions. Our zany fans that dress up in clown costumes and the like make us look ridiculous and give fans of other clubs a chance to mock us. You may not care about that but I do. I take pride in my football club and want others to be impressed by our club, from top to bottom. That includes the team, the manager, the ground, academy and the fan culture.

I await the deluge of "we don't care what others think" posts. Let me save you all the time and effort, I don't care that you don't care.

Fancy dress for end of season games has been around for eons- its as english as terrace culture. And its not specific to our club.

Every final game of the season I've gone since the late 80's has involved some kind of fancy dress, usually among the away fans. And Im sure its not just happened at our gaff.
Not been every final game has it? A handful and a fair few were only a small number doing it half heartedly.

Yes you and the backseat boys have indeed expressed that fact that you 'care' what others think of the club, from top to bottom ad nauseum, that you have 'pride' blah, blah.... when its clear the only fans from other clubs who even give a shiedt about any of this are their own small bands of backseat boys - and you have not answered why what others think should be even relevant - are you 14, spotty and going through that usual adolescent period where you feel the need to impress others rather with every detail? Well at least teh good news is that you will grow out of it.

Yes you and the backseat boys have indeed expressed that fact that you 'care' what others think of the club' date=' from top to bottom ad nauseum, that you have 'pride' blah, blah.... when its clear the only fans from other clubs who even give a shiedt about any of this are their own small bands of backseat boys - and you have not answered why what others think should be even relevant - are you 14, spotty and going through that usual adolescent period where you feel the need to impress others rather with every detail? Well at least teh good news is that you will grow out of it.[/quote']

Based on your spelling and grammar are you aged 4?

Based on your spelling and grammar are you aged 4?

Is there a reason why TCM, Turkish, Sour Mash and yourself answer questions and comments that are addressed to each other? Is it like a bedsit gang mentality? Just interested.

It's a forum, in case you haven't noticed.

Thanks for answering the question. No need to be so aggressive though, you'll end up with an ulcer like Turkish.

I enjoyed the irony of you replying to a question posed to Dune. Very good.

Thanks for answering the question. No need to be so aggressive though, you'll end up with an ulcer like Turkish.

It wasn't irony, it demonstrated my point.

Just show you know The ulcer " joke" wasn't funny the first time and still isn't after cracking it on your 20th consecutive post.

I decided to ignore you because you're not in the cool gang.