Olympic Opening Ceremony

dune

It's not been. Modern citizens retelling the genesis of this nation is not distorting it, regardless of whether their relatives may have been here at the time, its the nation they now call home and they are celebrating it.

It's PC b/llocks that is what it is.

No, it's been distorted so it's not technicaly 'true'.

No it hasn't. Please, again, for the sake of clarity, explain why people of different ethnicity to the indigenous populace who have become naturalised residents and part of our society celebrating the nation's history has distorted it....

I wasn't aware that someone of Caribbean/African extraction from a (possibly...) third generation Afro-British family doing a dance interpretation of the Industrial revolution, a key event in his nation's history, has distorted it...

Edited by Colinjb

So, to clarify. Are you saying that Black britains cannot publicly celebrate their nationality and the history involved?

Of course they can, but what i'm saying is that the representation of 19th century Britain was farcical.

Of course they can, but what i'm saying is that the representation of 19th century Britain was farcical.

Only if you let it bother you.

It's hardly a farce that modern british performers, regardless of ethnicity, celebrate part of their nation's history.

Should all the Greeks in 2004 have gone home because their bloodlines had been contaminated by the Turkish Ottoman invaders?

So, to clarify. Are you saying that Black britains cannot publicly celebrate their nationality and the history involved?
But they’re not "celebrating" it. They're actors/performers, paid to take part in a show, which is supposedly an historical representation of a particular period of British history, but is instead distorted to fit in with ridiculous PC pressure. It's not like the "multi-cultural" make-up of this country hasn't been well represented throughout the rest of the show.

But they’re not "celebrating" it. They're actors/performers, paid to take part in a show, which is supposedly an historical representation of a particular period of British history, but is instead distorted to fit in with ridiculous PC pressure. It's not like the "multi-cultural" make-up of this country hasn't been well represented throughout the rest of the show.

Yes, it's just like reading a history book.

No it hasn't. Please, again, for the sake of clarity, explain why people of different ethnicity to the indigenous populace who have become naturalised residents and part of our society celebrating the nation's history has distorted it....

I wasn't aware that someone of Caribbean/African extraction from a (possibly...) third generation Afro-British family doing a dance interpretation of the Industrial revolution, a key event in his nation's history, has distorted it...

Ooooo you snuck that one in quick ;)........did you realize that i was looking back at your posts to see where I was trying to pick you up on?

It doesn't really matter because we're probaby miles apart on our personal view points....i do respect yours though Colinjb.

So again, should we have bared performers a chance to be employed based on race?

It's not PC ****** if the performing companies have a diverse membership. And we have no method to prove otherwise, especially considering that locals will more then likely have been employed for this purpose.

is instead distorted to fit in with ridiculous PC pressure. It's not like the "multi-cultural" make-up of this country hasn't been well represented throughout the rest of the show.

The perfomers are probably a representative ethnic makeup of young Londoners. If the games ever get held in the Scilly Isles no doubt the show will look different.

So again, should we have bared performers a chance to be employed based on race?

It's not PC ****** if the performing companies have a diverse membership. And we have no method to prove otherwise, especially considering that locals will more then likely have been employed for this purpose.

Because they look nothing like the people from the period of time they're supposedly re-creating. I believe it is the reason that acting is one of the few industries you can legally 'discriminate' on the basis of race for that very obvious, practical reason.

Because they look nothing like the people from the period of time they're supposedly re-creating. I believe it is the reason that acting is one of the few industries you can legally 'discriminate' on the basis of race for that very obvious, practical reason.

It would be seriously bloody pettit though.

Where is the practical benefit in descriminating at an Olympic Opening ceremony? An event which will be abstract and celebratory of the nation as a whole rather then aiming for painstaking historic accuracy. Not to mention the whole ethos/spirit of the games in the first place.....

So let's have a show of hands of those who are loving it. So far we've got BTF, SaintAndy666, Colinjb and thedelldays. Anyone else?

It has been great overall. Some awful early moments but I got into it. It was a lot fresher and original and much less hackneyed retro than I feared

The crowd, have they been briefed to ge certain colours at a specific time? Or are they wearing something reflective?

They got some sort of screen they're holding which are all atched to a central control system. Very clever and innovative.

Apparently they've all got handsets that are computer generated (so the commentators said). Something like 40 days to wire up the stadium.

A mass electrocution is on the cards then. I might just watch some more.

It would be seriously bloody pettit though.

Where is the practical benefit in descriminating at an Olympic Opening ceremony? An event which will be abstract and celebratory of the nation as a whole rather then aiming for painstaking historic accuracy. Not to mention the whole ethos/spirit of the games in the first place.....

Becuase it isn't discrimination. You wouldn't expect a white person to play Nelson Mandela in a story of his life would you?

They'll be letting blacks compete in the games next! Tut.