Olympic Opening Ceremony

dune

I'm not too sure that anyone outside the UK knows or even cares too much about Great Ormond Street Hospital

So what? This is quite rightly about everything we should be proud of as a nation. I'm sure it's being explained to them.

The Jubillee didn't do it, The European Championship didn't do it, The Torch relay didn't do it..

....But right now I feel genuinely patriotic and proud.

And for those that find it painful, there is an off switch. Exercise your right to choose. ;)

Edited by Colinjb

The Jubillee didn't do it, The European Championship didn't do it, The Torch relay didn't do it..

And for those that find it painful, there is an off switch.

Remember, Colin, this post will still be here tomorrow.

So what? This is quite rightly about everything we should be proud of as a nation. I'm sure it's being explained to them.

You might think that but i don't. It's being televised to a world wide global audience and don't really think that at occassion like the opening of the olympic games you should have to have it explained to you what GOSH are or who Isambard kingdom Brunel is, but that's my opinion.

In a way it does reflect this country. False history, X-Factor look at me public participation, bad dancing, over-acting, pompous, fakery, over emphasis on multi-culturalism................

Sums it up for me I'm afraid, and I was really looking forward to tonight.

In a way it does reflect this country. False history, X-Factor look at me public participation, bad dancing, over-acting, pompous, fakery, over emphasis on multi-culturalism................

How does the suffragette movement fall into that?

And for those that find it painful, there is an off switch. Exercise your right to choose. ;)

I'd rather watch and cringe.

A perfect summary.

The fake representation of multicultural 19th century Britain did it for me.

Could you imagine the outcry if non white performers were barred from that section?

They are modern british citizens, they have every right to embrace this country's histroy and play a part in retelling it.

Could you imagine the outcry if non white performers were barred from that section?

They are modern british citizens, they have every right to embrace this country's histroy and play a part in retelling it.

F/ck the outcry. Can you imagine white people in an African tribal re-enaction? No thought not.

F/ck the outcry. Can you imagine white people in an African tribal re-enaction? No thought not.

Yes, but Kenya (for example) isn't a multicultural society in the same way ours is. Whilst there may be areas of the country that are still relatively unicultural and natively ethnic, most city areas such as the one this ceremony is being held are not. Therefore the comparison is invalid.

Yes, but Kenya (for example) isn't a multicultural society in the same way ours is. Whilst there may be areas of the country that are still relatively unicultural and natively ethnic, most city areas such as the one this ceremony is being held are not. Therefore the comparison is invalid.

Well SA and Australia are. Would you expect to see black colonialists in their historical re-enaction and whites dressed as natives doing a war dance. Equally would expect to see whites dressed as Red indians at an American ceremony?

Well SA and Australia are. Would you expect to see black colonialists in their historical re-enaction and whites dressed as natives doing a war dance. Equally would expect to see whites dressed as Red indians at an American ceremony?

I'm playing into your hands here you little scamp.

I would expect to see history told with a little sensitivity. Any areas where oppression has played a factor are shameful and should be treated as events to learn from, not celebrate. As such, no I wouldn't expect white dancers to play a part in a dance retelling say of the massacre of Zulu warriors... that would be something never to be retold in this manner.

This is modern britain. We are a nation of many colours, religions and creeds. I am proud we live in a nation that any viewpoint, so long as it is not directly criminal can be expressed, regardless of how incorrect or flawed that view may be. ;).

That is a very fair comment dune...............over to you Colinjb.

see you just have ;)

I would expect to see history told with a little sensitivity. Any areas where oppression has played a factor are shameful and should be treated as events to learn from, not celebrate. As such, no I wouldn't expect white dancers to play a part in a dance retelling say of the massacre of Zulu warriors... that would be something never to be retold in this manner.

So why is OK to distort the history of this country?

So why is OK to distort the history of this country?

It's not been. Modern citizens retelling the genesis of this nation is not distorting it, regardless of whether their relatives may have been here at the time, its the nation they now call home and they are celebrating it.

This is modern britain. We are a nation of many colours, religions and creeds. I am proud we live in a nation that any viewpoint, so long as it is not directly criminal can be expressed, regardless of how incorrect or flawed that view may be. ;).

Actually isn't that a 'distortian' of history which wouldn't then make it 'history'?

Actually isn't that a 'distortian' of history which wouldn't then make it 'history'?

No, the history still exists, it just hasn't been used to cause offence. Trivialising oppresion is a far bigger sin then discretion. History is there to be learnt from, not to be flaunted foolishly. All countries have events they regret. I notice China didn't mention much of their domestic policies in the Beijing opening ceremony.

Edited by Colinjb