Olympic Opening Ceremony

dune

I predict it'll be great but there will be the usual grumpy sods boring us to tears about how much they're not interested in it. No, really, despite how many times they'll tell us they're not interested, they really really aren't interested.

Edited by trousers

I predict there will be a miserable bunch of c**** who complain about everything to do with the Olympics from the opening ceremony to the tired old lines of "too much sport on TV". Well, do us all a favour then and f*** off abroad for the next few weeks.

I predict it'll be great but there will be the usual grumpy sods boring us to tears about how much they're not interested in it. No, really, despite how many times they'll tell us they're not interested, they really really aren't interested.

You're right. I'm really, really, really not interested.

Looking forward to the Rowing. Southampton lad (and Saints fan) James Foad is in the Men's Eight, first race tomorrow, final on Wednesday morning when it will hopefully be GB vs Germany for the gold. Good to have a normal working-class lad out there in such an elitist sport.

You think it'll be worth the quoted £13m? For a bit of music and some costumes. Don't get all this hype about the torch either, what is the actual appeal of going to see it?

This!

Cue the SWF whinge brigade who criticise anything thats good, and will try to inflict their misery on everyone else..

I am really quite looking forward to it all.

i enjoyed the jubilee celebrations also

in these times of what seems endless doom and gloom it's nice to have something else on the agenda.

i will be taking my little boy back up to London on monday to soak up the atmosphere.

i certainly won't experience it again in my lifetime and he probably won't either.

he is really quite excited about it also,which I think is great.

he has been learning all about Olympics this term at school and he wants to feel part of it,as do I.

if that makes me out to be a bit of a plum,so be it.

I predict there will be a miserable bunch of c**** who complain about everything to do with the Olympics from the opening ceremony to the tired old lines of "too much sport on TV". Well, do us all a favour then and f*** off abroad for the next few weeks.

Echo this comment!

If people are so bored/annoyed/anti the world's most amazing sporting event is in this country then they are very sad. It won't ever come here again in our lifetime, probably another hundred years or so. It seems to me that watching morons on TV who are complaining are exactly those that were REALLY crap at sport at school and have a huge chip on their shoulders.

Just bloody enjoy it, or as you say, leave the country for 2 weeks!

As a non-royalist, I was pretty disinterested in the Jubilee although the Thames procession was quite impressive despite the BBC's inane coverage.

Quite looking forward to the Olympics although the opening ceremony will have to go some to be better the Beijing.

I'm not doing too badly, thanks. The only problem is that I'm stuck at home for a few weeks with nothing on tele now except the sodding Olympics. Ironic, or what? We're also still waiting for our daughter to have her third and our seventh grandchild. We were originally all booked on a cruise but her pregnancy and my operation have put paid to that. Still, at least I can come on here and have a good moan :-)

Echo this comment!

If people are so bored/annoyed/anti the world's most amazing sporting event is in this country then they are very sad. It won't ever come here again in our lifetime, probably another hundred years or so. It seems to me that watching morons on TV who are complaining are exactly those that were REALLY crap at sport at school and have a huge chip on their shoulders.

Just bloody enjoy it, or as you say, leave the country for 2 weeks!

Why must you enjoy it or leave the country? If you think something ain't great you should be able to comment accordingly. Some of the events will be brilliant. Some will be a waste of time. The faffing around for a month with the Olympic torch, the massively expensive opening ceremony (which is what this thread is about) & and the over the top security and travel related panic ('Olympic' lanes etc) I'm not a fan of - therefore I should leave the country? Right....

Looking forward to team GB success and opening ceremony will be part of that - mark us out as amongst the most innovative, progressive, and forward thinking collection of nations on the planet. Our sporting success, where we will punch above our weight, will do so too.

Went to see the torch - was infuriated by the parade of sponsorship coaches which consisted of Samsung (Korean), Coke (Yanks) and Lloyds (Cu.nts), but the actual torch was surprisingly inspirational (and I suppose its got to be paid for somehow).

Why must you enjoy it or leave the country? If you think something ain't great you should be able to comment accordingly. Some of the events will be brilliant. Some will be a waste of time. The faffing around for a month with the Olympic torch, the massively expensive opening ceremony (which is what this thread is about) & and the over the top security and travel related panic ('Olympic' lanes etc) I'm not a fan of - therefore I should leave the country? Right....

Sounds like you've already made up your mind about it before it's even started. The torch relay was a great success and was well supported. We have yet to see the opening ceremony and i wonder whether you've actually been put out by any increased security measures at all. But don't let that put you off.

According to the Beeb sports bulletin at 07:35, when Team GB lined up before last night's match, only the English players sang the National Anthem.

Yep.

If the players involved dont want to celebrate their British identity, they should be dropped for the remaining games.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind about it before it's even started. The torch relay was a great success and was well supported. We have yet to see the opening ceremony and i wonder whether you've actually been put out by any increased security measures at all. But don't let that put you off.
Sorry, did you actually read my post? As I stated, some of the events will be brilliant, I've got tickets for a few of them. But tell me what about the Archery event that particularly excites you? I work all over London, so I'm well aware of the changes in transport/security policy - but your approach seems to be, that you can only be critical of something that directly affects you? Yes, millions of people stepped out of their houses to watch the torch go by, but millions of people also watch Big Brother every year, I take it you also consider that a great success we should be proud of?

What are your thoughts on the huge increase in costs for the Olympics in relation to the original estimate?

Or the vast power and control that corporations such as McDonalds and Coca Cola have over such basics as what we're able to eat and drink at the events?

Sorry, did you actually read my post? As I stated, some of the events will be brilliant, I've got tickets for a few of them. But tell me what about the Archery event that particularly excites you? I work all over London, so I'm well aware of the changes in transport/security policy - but your approach seems to be, that you can only be critical of something that directly affects you? Yes, millions of people stepped out of their houses to watch the torch go by, but millions of people also watch Big Brother every year, I take it you also consider that a great success we should be proud of?

What are your thoughts on the huge increase in costs for the Olympics in relation to the original estimate?

Or the vast power and control that corporations such as McDonalds and Coca Cola have over such basics as what we're able to eat and drink at the events?

Don't give a ****e!

Its a global celebration that will come along once in our lifetime, and will bring kudos, cash and pleasure to a country that has in a rather depressed state.

You of course have a right to whinge, but don't be surprised if most people ignore you!

Don't give a ****e!

Its a global celebration that will come along once in our lifetime, and will bring kudos, cash and pleasure to a country that has in a rather depressed state.

You of course have a right to whinge, but don't be surprised if most people ignore you!

The cash equation is unlikely to be in our favour, and I could have enjoyed it all the same if,say, the French were doing it.

Don't give a ****e!

Fair enough and each to their own. Fortunately I do not need my country to be hosting table tennis and greco-roman wrestling to make me happy, but I'm glad it's giving you lots of pleasure regardless of the cost.

I can reveal from my sources within the opening ceremony (2 dancers) that Mary Poppins and something called a voldemord are involved in the ceremony.

It is timed down to the minute. They have to be "on stage" at an exact time. (I like to think this makes me ITK)

I predict that some farm animals will break loose or just cr@p everywhere.

From what I am hearing it is quite an impressive ceremony.

Will report back if I hear anything else ahead of the event.

God bless dear old Boris for kicking up the stir last night.

Boy did his kicking of Mutt get coverage EVERYWHERE, well done to the crowd in Hyde Park for cheering along with it.

Will miss the ceremony, bars shut here way before 3am and I ain't going clubbing to watch no James Bond shooting David Beckham moment...

Although.....