Child Benefits

Dibden Purlieu Saint

Lovely (albeit ridiculous) rant but it avoids the question.

It is greedy to ask for something that you don't need. It is not "greedy" or "pathetic" or "sick" to feel unhappy that something that always has been given is taken away.

I would imagine that many families with one earner just over £50k will be hit very hard by this. Some will have large mortgages, various children, only one earner, debts and so on.

People have had about 2 years notice about the cut. Plenty of time to adjust household budget.

We're not saying that it isn't??

Well at least we all agree then. I would cut it much further, it's a completely outdated idea.

When the news broke I was amazed that people earning so much got the benefits. even in a good financial climate it would be better targeted to people who need it, not just want it. I hate dole scroungers but at least they would spend it not just shove it in a bank.

Personal questions then, choose not to answer if you prefer: are you currently receiving any form of benefit or tax relief or have you ever in the past?

Nope. I'm not in the top tax bracket but me and my wife earn above average salaries. I wouldn't expect handouts if I had a kid.

Might have to in the future. I wouldn't be against it for the very richest.

Why not now? If you feel there's an acceptable threshold to lose one well established, non means tested state payment, you presumably feel that there is an acceptable threshold to lose another?

Well at least we all agree then. I would cut it much further, it's a completely outdated idea.

When the news broke I was amazed that people earning so much got the benefits. even in a good financial climate it would be better targeted to people who need it, not just want it. I hate dole scroungers but at least they would spend it not just shove it in a bank.

Means-testing costs a fortune.

So happy to preach on for cuts to be made but will take tax out of the system.

If I pay someone cash it's up to them if they want to pay tax on it.

Anyway I include myself when I say society is greedy, we have all grown up in a system where greed is good. 50K earners crying like babies when they have their had outs taken away is just a really sick example.

Anyway I include myself when I say society is greedy, we have all grown up in a system where greed is good. 50K earners crying like babies when they have their had outs taken away is just a really sick example.

You can tell by the language being used he's on a wind up. No one is crying in anyway.

Bless you. Nobody is crying on here. Sadly some people will be hit very hard by this. You clearly don't get that income doesn't always equate to disposable income.

You pay cash in hand knowing that the discount you've received is because tax won't be paid on it.

It doesn't matter how many times you say it, it won't make it true. No one is crying like baby.

I'm not saying anyone on here is, they were having a right moan on the news about it tho.

Did you stop to think that perhaps it was because they might be affected, or just presume that they were sick and greedy?

The Volvo does about 24mpg, it's an automatic so that makes a big difference, and I average about 26 out of the M3. However, I do need some new rear tyres for it :D

So if you ignore road tax, tyres, insurance, depreciation and servicing and only count the marginal 2mpg, its cheaper to run?

What are you on about? You seem to have got yourself all confused. I have not said I am deserving financially, however it's frustrating that something that has ALWAYS been available for everyone gets removed just after I have had my first child. The same with paying for University. You can be frustrated about something yet agree with the reasons why they came to fruition.

You're right, I am confused. You're moaning about not getting handouts although you are now saying you're not financially deserving. You have previously on this board said that you're a Tory, so surely you believe that people should be looking after themselves and not relying on handouts. So, you're moaning about something that you agree with? Is that it?

The Volvo does about 24mpg, it's an automatic so that makes a big difference, and I average about 26 out of the M3. However, I do need some new rear tyres for it :D

I think you can make some considerable savings that will negate your 'loss' of child benefit. This is a good example of why someone in your position (and the same goes for me) should not be getting child benefit.

So if you ignore road tax, tyres, insurance, depreciation and servicing and only count the marginal 2mpg, its cheaper to run?

Road tax is more in the Volvo (£190 a year more), insurance is about the same (Volvo insured under me, M3 under her), servicing is about the same (had the big service done as part of the sale last year, back to standard service for the next 25000 miles). Tires are a bit more, £60 per tyre). And depreciation, I don't know frankly, Volvo probably more as we cane the miles out on that one. So yes, it is cheaper to run.

You're right, I am confused. You're moaning about not getting handouts although you are now saying you're not financially deserving. You have previously on this board said that you're a Tory, so surely you believe that people should be looking after themselves and not relying on handouts. So, you're moaning about something that you agree with? Is that it?

I explained my position above. As said, you can be frustrated about something even if you agree with the reasoning.

In addition to this, you can vote Tory without having the all the Tory traits.

It's not all black and white, there is also a myriad of greys...

I think you can make some considerable savings that will negate your 'loss' of child benefit. This is a good example of why someone in your position (and the same goes for me) should not be getting child benefit.

This is an example of why the arguments can get confused. It used to be called 'child allowance'. Now whether you think it right that the state should help parents or not is a different matter, but giving back to the earner a small part of what they earn is not a 'benefit' or 'gift' in my understanding. Such people are already paying more than their fair share of the cost of running our society, in my opinion.

This is an example of why the arguments can get confused. It used to be called 'child allowance'. Now whether you think it right that the state should help parents or not is a different matter, but giving back to the earner a small part of what they earn is not a 'benefit' or 'gift' in my understanding. Such people are already paying more than their fair share of the cost of running our society, in my opinion.

Just found out about Childcare vouchers - they look pretty helpful actually.

Just found out about Childcare vouchers - they look pretty helpful actually.

and tax free... I've used care-4 which is an easy way to do it, some employers also give an incentive (shh) to use them.

Also this link maybe helpful on Government Childcare Vouchers - Better Off Calculator:

www.gov.uk/childcare-vouchers-better-off-calculator

and tax free... I've used care-4 which is an easy way to do it, some employers also give an incentive (shh) to use them.

Also this link maybe helpful on Government Childcare Vouchers - Better Off Calculator:

www.gov.uk/childcare-vouchers-better-off-calculator

And NI! Not sure about student Loan though. My company gives a 4% incentive - better than nothing!!