Sunderland Build-up Thread

Saint Garrett

Once again the ticket office has let me down, I purchased tickets (or I thought I had) on Weds and even though it took me to a page that said it's confirmed apparently the purchase didn't go through which means I've let my nephew down for his xmas present, not happy at all as its the second time in 2 months they've done something like this.

Once again the ticket office has let me down, I purchased tickets (or I thought I had) on Weds and even though it took me to a page that said it's confirmed apparently the purchase didn't go through which means I've let my nephew down for his xmas present, not happy at all as its the second time in 2 months they've done something like this.

Can't you walk up and buy the tickets today?

Just thought I'd mention the Zambian's aren't too impressed with out comments

"Guys I said it mayuka is a star and people in england are ignorant. Look at the comments made by these saints fans absurd! and very hurtful they have no idea what kind of player they have. http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?41890-Guardian-s-World-s-Best-Footballers"

Hahahah even better - "@ sibs you should be worried about his current situation looking at what those southampton fans are thinking they have no idea who mayuka and I bet you nigel adkins doesn’t either. He keeps playing that uselsess plank J. Rodriguez. If anything mayuka should have been higher on the list its those clueless people in southampton who are finishing him mayuka can easily start for a team Like Inter Milan so what is southampton? Southamtpon is a joke of a club with useless defenders like hoived or yoshida who can’t even sit on the zambian bench. There fans are clueless going on and on about an average player like ramirez who kalaba can tame in his sleep."

Ok last one sorry - "For stumpy and percy the two football “analysts” who say mayuka is finished can you please read that blog and see what the southampton fans are saying about mayuka. From there you will understand why mayuka is sitting on the bench at southampton. The coach Nigel Adkins who is clueless I’m sure has the same mindset as the fans because he is British. Those english people are DULL unlike the spanish and italians who heavily scout and analyse their talent. Those brits just play names. Very very dull indeed. You can see why a finished player like torres will always start."

Quite an interesting comment by one of the Zambians about how Mayuka plays and how he could improve, looks like inside left forward is the go.

"Here is some advice for Mayuka if he reads this space. After watching some comes from the bench games that he played, I noticed that he is a far much better player when playing on the left wing than right because he can easily cut into space and shoot with his right foot. A good example is the Ghana game at AFCON.I have not seen him use his left foot so nothing much I can say about that. Unfortunately,he won’t play the left wing at SOTO as long as Riki Lambert is as effective as he is.

So the only option Adkins has if he is ever to select you is play you on the right wing. You did well in the games you played in terms of showing desire aggression, and speed on the ball keeping the left backs on their toes and stopping them from overlapping. But you have to go a step further with that to bring that “IT” factor Adkins is looking for. There were some issues I noticed which I think are the reasons you have gone to the bottom of the bench list and I will point them out for you here.

First issue i noticed is you play a lot with your back on the goal when played on the right wing. This could be a case of adjusting to playing in that position. But your adjustment has to be fast because EPL defenders are quick and with your back to the goal you have no chance to see them coming. Secondly, it also seems that you have not fully understood your role as a right winger because it appears as though your main objective when you received the ball is to try and turn and drive toward the center forward position which has not been the best use of the ball as that created congestion forcing Lalana to slightly pull back and take him out of position. Rather, you should be hugging that line, watch some George Weah videos, and wiping a cross to create chances for your center forwards.

You have had more game time than Mbesuma had at at Portsmouth. If you are to succeed at SOTO, you have to realize that there is a pecking order and your job for the meantime is to create space and provide goal scoring opportunities for Riki and Lalana. Let them take the heat for not scoring and that will take the pressure off of you from being the man trying to score the goals to being the man creating the space and opportunities for Riki and Lalana which I think comes natural to you because you are a smart player.

Now when you look at Jason Puncheon, when he plays the right wing, he hugs that line almost to the corner flag stretching the defense enough to create space for the center forwards when he finally wips in that cross or cuts back. That is the only difference that has made him more effective and as a result a regular. His job when he gets that ball on the wings is to stretch the defense, cut back or wip in a cross in search of Riki or Lalana. That is what you should be doing and do it better.

So in a nutshell here is some tips. if you are going to play with your back to the goal, when you get the ball on the right wing, pivot/turn with your left foot planted to the ground toward the lines man, race toward the corner flag and the objective from that point is to cross the ball in search of Rikki or Lalana and make that cross a good one. This run opens up a plethora of options like get a cross in, force the fullback into tackling for a bookable offense and you get a throw in, free kick or corner. Which are all good options. If the fullback doesn’t drop you and you get to the corner flag and decide to cut back try to find Lalalan who would be lurking by the edge of the 18 yard box or loop high for Rikki who is good in the air. You have to realize that when you cut back, you now have to use your left foot to be effective. Practice these moves and you will be a first team player in no time."