Sunderland Build-up Thread

Saint Garrett

People tend to see football players as one dimensional. Lee is pacey, has a great work ethic so would track back, scored a great goal against derby from the inside left position, linked up well with Lambert everytime he played last year. The most logical type of player to bring in would be someone who would give sunderlands poor defence no time on the ball, that's lee. When have you seen him play in that position with the quality of our first team around him and in our system everyone is interchangeable, so we don't want a wide left player more an inside forward.Shoot me down if you actually have a better idea for lallanas replacement but Rodriguez is never a left winger as we found out to our expense earlier this season, guly has only ever done anything for us as a second striker, Ramirez has to play in the hole, how can you waste the talents of our best player on the wing? Options are limited but we need the best make shift. Can Reeves play there, probably a good understanding with Shaw?

People tend to see football players as one dimensional. Lee is pacey, has a great work ethic so would track back, scored a great goal against derby from the inside left position, linked up well with Lambert everytime he played last year. The most logical type of player to bring in would be someone who would give sunderlands poor defence no time on the ball, that's lee. When have you seen him play in that position with the quality of our first team around him and in our system everyone is interchangeable, so we don't want a wide left player more an inside forward.Shoot me down if you actually have a better idea for lallanas replacement but Rodriguez is never a left winger as we found out to our expense earlier this season, guly has only ever done anything for us as a second striker, Ramirez has to play in the hole, how can you waste the talents of our best player on the wing? Options are limited but we need the best make shift. Can Reeves play there, probably a good understanding with Shaw?

Is Lallana wasted out on the left?

Ergh god. Why would Lee get a go in front of any of Guly, J-Rod, Mayuka, Reeves, Davis, JWP. He has barely played since Jan/Feb, he only played for about 2 months before and scored what...1 goal?!

I'm not writing him off, but if he's not getting in the first team squad, why would we suddenly throw him into start a game we need to hit the ground running? Also probably wouldn't have the understanding with the rest of the squad as he's not played.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/sunderland-afc/safc-news/sunderland-boss-no-excuses-1-5245389

Martin O'Neill comes across in this as a tad patronising towards Lambert and even, I would suggest, towards Saints. Rickie knows what to do.

I'd say that it probably depends on the tone of what's said. That could be read either way IMO.

I'd say that it probably depends on the tone of what's said. That could be read either way IMO.

You are right it could be read both ways though it seems customary for Managers to be outwardly complimentary of opposing teams in pre-match interviews and this just seemed a little patronising to me. It seemed to me Lambert was being damned with faint praise. There's the lazy comparison again with Grant Holt

You are right it could be read both ways though it seems customary for Managers to be outwardly complimentary of opposing teams in pre-match interviews and this just seemed a little patronising to me. It seemed to me Lambert was being damned with faint praise. There's the lazy comparison again with Grant Holt

Just about as expected then! It's an easy answer which is already into the public domain so it's not going to get any kind of reaction!

Not really. I think he's better than Holt and doing more than just a job in the PL and I'm not alone in that.

He didn't compare him to Holt, only in relation to them both being late starters in the premier league after doing well for so long in the lower leagues and that in the premier league you come up against different types players every week.

If you take the Holt reference away, there is nothing there which is even remotely patronising or disrespectful.

He didn't compare him to Holt, only in relation to them both being late starters in the premier league after doing well for so long in the lower leagues and that in the premier league you come up against different types players every week.

If you take the Holt reference away, there is nothing there which is even remotely patronising or disrespectful.

But the Holt reference is there. Jeeze this is a strange forum sometimes. Happy Christmas anyway.:)

But the Holt reference is there. Jeeze this is a strange forum sometimes. Happy Christmas anyway.:)

Not really mate, if you post an opinion about an article which others don't agree with, can they not say anything? That would be an even stranger forum wouldn't it?

Happy Christmas to you too.

I expect MON to load the midfield and rely upon Fletcher to nick a goal. MON sides are usually set up soundly and fight for every inch of turf. I just hope they have some injury hang overs. Sunderland could easily pull this one off, it will be down to Adkins tactics in making sure they don't. As long as we match them up in midfield we have a decent chance being the home side and Ramirez to pull the strings.

As a wide midfielder I don't think that applies. Lallana is a winger, Ramirez is not, completely different players. Non argument.

Non argument? Very arrogant post

Ramirez was a left winger for Pernol and Bologna before he moved to a more central position. Him and lallana are actually similar in that sense, it wasn't that long ago that Lallana was playing in a more central position for us. They can both do a job central or wide. We don't play with out and out wingers anyway so I don't really know what you are talking about.

Ramirez was a left winger for Pernol and Bologna before he moved to a more central position. Him and lallana are actually similar in that sense, it wasn't that long ago that Lallana was playing in a more central position for us. They can both do a job central or wide. We don't play with out and out wingers anyway so I don't really know what you are talking about.

For once I agree with the Digster here.

It's not up for discussion, so shut up!

More heavy rain, potential for it to be off? Seem to recall the only postponement we've ever had at St Marys was for a waterlogged pitch

It was due to pass before KO which would have given a fighting chance of getting the pitch ready. According to the Met Office now it's heavy rain all day with an amber warning. Very real chance this could get called off IMHO

whilst most of the discussion is about the selection of Lallana's " replacement ", let's not forget that this is a big game for Kelvin Davis, too.

After the savage treatment he received from the Sunderland fans in his time there, it's time for him to exorcise that " personal spook " in his career...with a clean sheet.

In his 6 years at SMS, he has shown loyalty, and consistancy and has become a role-model as a good club man. Well done Kev.

It's true that a keeper can only be as good as the defence in front of him and TBF.....in his time at Sund'land, he had a pretty " ropey " line in front of him and shouldn't be blamed for everything that went wrong.

whilst most of the discussion is about the selection of Lallana's " replacement ", let's not forget that this is a big game for Kelvin Davis, too.

After the savage treatment he received from the Sunderland fans in his time there, it's time for him to exorcise that " personal spook " in his career...with a clean sheet.

In his 6 years at SMS, he has shown loyalty, and consistancy and has become a role-model as a good club man. Well done Kev.

It's true that a keeper can only be as good as the defence in front of him and TBF.....in his time at Sund'land, he had a pretty " ropey " line in front of him and shouldn't be blamed for everything that went wrong.

I've got a feeling Boruc will start. He was in all the Saints player training vids from Thursday, so seems very much involved still.

I've got a feeling Boruc will start. He was in all the Saints player training vids from Thursday, so seems very much involved still.

That means little, Gazzaniga, Boruc and Davis are all in those videos. Boruc was also in the training videos in the build up to the Reading game and was on the bench, he was in pre-match training videos before the Norwich game and wasn't on the bench but did the warm down after the game finished with the other unused players.

Edited by Matthew Le God

More heavy rain, potential for it to be off? Seem to recall the only postponement we've ever had at St Marys was for a waterlogged pitch

Why is no-one else troubled bout the weird adverts that is suddenly plaguing this place? Over the past few days I've had pap selling me books bout dogs, kraken selling me Arsenal and now Saint137 is on here selling playstation games! I'm starting to think this is the apocalypse the Gayones predicted!

That means little, Gazzaniga, Boruc and Davis are all in those videos. Boruc was also in the training videos in the build up to the Reading game and was on the bench, he was in pre-match training videos before the Norwich game and wasn't on the bench but did the warm down after the game finished with the other unused players.

He just seemed heavily involved. We'll have to wait and see.

Why is no-one else troubled bout the weird adverts that is suddenly plaguing this place? Over the past few days I've had pap selling me books bout dogs, kraken selling me Arsenal and now Saint137 is on here selling playstation games! I'm starting to think this is the apocalypse the Gayones predicted!

Did it happen at 11.11am? It has been as dark as night here since then, so guessing it has. S^£&, and I was up in hospitality for this game.