Guardian's World's Best Footballers

SaintWill71

Better than Pastore, Nasri, Kagawa and Snejider ?! Hmm...

Probably one of those better prospect moments more than anything else. Clearly has some talent but is 22 needs nurturing and breaking into the premier league properly (well hopefully otherwise they are just making it up as they go along)

Once again you can be brilliant for Dortmund or Valencia or whatever and be a total misfit in the EPL. It's not the same game of football.

German football has more in common with EPL than say Spanish football. Was up in Manchester when Borussia Dortmund played City and they really made them look like mugs. The standard of German football is hugely impressive.

German football has more in common with EPL than say Spanish football. Was up in Manchester when Borussia Dortmund played City and they really made them look like mugs. The standard of German football is hugely impressive.

I've watched a fair bit of German football over there last season and saw Hamburg, BVB, Schalke, Werder Bremen and Wolfsburg and all were very impressive (bar Hamburg who were having a stinker of a season). When I saw Schalke they were superb and have got a brilliant winger, think they finished 4th as well.

Sure I saw something somewhere that Germany are actually leading the way with points won at european level or something with Spain 2nd and England 3rd.

but I used the adjective "different", didn't say better. English football is just that different and it takes certain qualities to adapt to it. The list of brilliant players from afar who've been complete non-entities in the PL is long indeed.

So if Mayuka is at 85, I would expect to see another dozen or so Saints players in the next instalments. I'm guessing that Messi will be #2 with AL ahead of him. Rickie should be comfortably in the Top 10 along with Gaston. Expect to see Chung about 70. I heard that Danny Fox was #101. I wonder what numbers our three keepers will be. No offence to Emmanuel, who I am sure will turn out to be a bargain, but difficult to justify this ranking on evidence so far.

I think it's obvious that Mayuka's ranking is down to his appearances for Zambia at the ACN than anything he has done at club level.

The people putting the list together obviously thought they have to put a promising young African player in there somewhere to cover all bases.

Reading are going to sign aother Zambian striker, Sunku or something like that, is he any good,where does he rank ?

What I find really odd about this is that Mayuka had to be in someone's top 30 players in the world.

Seems bizarre, considering he can't even get into Saints first XI.

These lists always throw a few unknowns in to try and boost the credibility and the "look at me and my football knowledge" factor.

Let's not forget Mayuka is still very young and will only improve. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him, but I'm not going to demand it right now.

These lists always throw a few unknowns in to try and boost the credibility and the "look at me and my football knowledge" factor.

Let's not forget Mayuka is still very young and will only improve. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him, but I'm not going to demand it right now.

I dont know why people assume that because a player is young they are guarenteed to improve. It's been said about Mayuka, Rodriguez and Yoshida this season. Ryan Smith, Lee Molyneux, Leandre Grifit and Yohan Folly were all young when we signed them and tipped for greatness, they certainly didn't improve.

I like Mayuka, reckon he's got a bright future ahead of him and is a talent, scored 32 goals in 55 appearances for Young Boys, but I think someone covered it well in the comments section where they said that he's only included because Zambia won the ACN and he was top scorer. As I said, reckon he's a good prospect, but 85th best player in the world...? Maybe not...

I like Mayuka, reckon he's got a bright future ahead of him and is a talent, scored 32 goals in 55 appearances for Young Boys, but I think someone covered it well in the comments section where they said that he's only included because Zambia won the ACN and he was top scorer. As I said, reckon he's a good prospect, but 85th best player in the world...? Maybe not...

Wouldn't even make 85th best player in the Championship to be honest, especially as we don't play him. Scoring a shedload against Burkina Faso or Gambia don't make you one of the world's top 100 players. That said we need to play him because we're sometimes a bit predictable.

I dont know why people assume that because a player is young they are guarenteed to improve. It's been said about Mayuka, Rodriguez and Yoshida this season. Ryan Smith, Lee Molyneux, Leandre Grifit and Yohan Folly were all young when we signed them and tipped for greatness, they certainly didn't improve.

To clarify, from the little I've seen I think he already has talent to improve upon. The others you've mentioned (with the exception of Griffit) never showed the necessary talent to justify being given the time to improve.

Fwiw we also didn't really keep any of those players long enough to see great improvements.

Wouldn't even make 85th best player in the Championship to be honest, especially as we don't play him. Scoring a shedload against Burkina Faso or Gambia don't make you one of the world's top 100 players. That said we need to play him because we're sometimes a bit predictable.

What's with the sudden venom towards Mayuka on here? We haven't seen enough of him to make a complete judgement either way.

To clarify, from the little I've seen I think he already has talent to improve upon. The others you've mentioned (with the exception of Griffit) never showed the necessary talent to justify being given the time to improve.

Fwiw we also didn't really keep any of those players long enough to see great improvements.

What's with the sudden venom towards Mayuka on here? We haven't seen enough of him to make a complete judgement either way.

No venom at all from me, just think we need to play him that's all. Plus statistically Vermalen is ranked 85th in the PL (Punch is 84th) so really 85th globally is a bit of bollix isn't it?

I dont doubt he's got potential and looks decent but this doesn't always mean they will fullfil it, football is littered with players of potential that never made it for one reason or another. There are no guarentees he is going to improve.

I dont know what you mean about Ryan Smith not showing potential, Mark Wotte described him as world class! :lol:

Folly was talked about as the next Viera, then he just never got any better, if anything he got considerably worse.