What Are You Watching..?

Robsk II

Dexter season 4.

Afraid there is nothing on British TV that can touch this show as it is that good. Dark, suspense and some humour too. I don't know if the next season will be able to touch this one.

V - the remake series is a load of rubbish. Think they got to the reveal a little too quickly.

have to agree with Rommanager on Misfits, good new actors, sharp writing and decent stories, good fiction show.

Also been catching up on Comedy Showcase on 4oD. A couple real good ones in there, 'Phoneshop' being my favourite.

I too have been watching and greatly enjoying The Orson Welles Sketchbook . This little programme has as simple a premise as you could possibly imagine - a talking head basically - but when that talking head belongs to a man of Orson's wit and intelligence then the end result is something that is quite wonderful .

Inspired I saw a fascinating programme by Simon Callow 'Orson Welles Over Europe' on that BBC i-player thing , among the many gems uncovered was OW's magnificent performance as Falstaff in his Shakespeare adaptation 'Chimes at Midnight' - looks like I'll need to borrow the Tardis to see the full film because I can't find a DVD version available anywhere . :(

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

I too have been watching and greatly enjoying The Orson Welles Sketchbook.

Inspired I saw a fascinating programme by Simon Callow 'Orson Welles Over Europe' on that BBC i-player thing , among the many gems uncovered was OW's magnificent performance as Falstaff in his Shakespeare adaptation 'Chimes at Midnight' -

Yes, I saw SImon Callow's programme too. Very good it was too. I saw Chimes At Midnight many years ago. I also known about the stage production of Moby ****: Rehearsed. What little thought I'd given it, in the past, had been that it was an obvious mistake to do such a production. But with the help of Simon Callow, and interviews with Peter Sallis [of all people] I began to get an idea of the power that a theatre production might have [i do like proper theatre, I just never get around to going]. I bet Welles was f****** awesome as Captain Ahab.

Just finished watching The Day Of The Triffids on the iPlayer. Not bad, but there was that indefinable element of the Dr Who about it, which I suppose infects all British Sci-Fi. There was also too much standing around and talking about what the characters were going to do, rather than actually doing it. For example, at one point in the proceedings, the key people were up against a tight schedule before the Triffids began to spore. They kept on about the shortness of time, but this still didn't stop them standing around, instead of actually working on a solution. But I suppose that overall, it wasn't that bad an effort. Perhaps I'm just too difficult to please.

Just finished watching The Day Of The Triffids on the iPlayer. Not bad, but there was that indefinable element of the Dr Who about it, which I suppose infects all British Sci-Fi. There was also too much standing around and talking about what the characters were going to do, rather than actually doing it. For example, at one point in the proceedings, the key people were up against a tight schedule before the Triffids began to spore. They kept on about the shortness of time, but this still didn't stop them standing around, instead of actually working on a solution. But I suppose that overall, it wasn't that bad an effort. Perhaps I'm just too difficult to please.

I quite enjoyed this, but I have to agree about the Dr Who thing.

I kept expecting David Tennant to appear and save the day.

I quite enjoyed this, but I have to agree about the Dr Who thing.

I kept expecting David Tennant to appear and save the day.

Yes indeed. One point I forgot to mention was the end shot of a supposed Isle of Wight. Now forgive me peeps, but the last time I sailed around the island, which was during that excuse of a summer, a few months back, it didn't look like that. With all that very good CGI work on the film, I would have thought some special effects to eliminate the ferries, other boats, and signs of life, would have been quite within the Beeb's scope.

We could have had the QE2 run aground on the Brambles Bank, because the crew were blind. Mind you, they've already done that.;)

Edited by St Landrew

I was greatly disappointed the BBC choose to rehash Day of the Triffids (yet again) when this story bares close comparison to the rather good 'Survivors' which was only broadcast this year and the recent film '28 Days Later' for that matter . Part One of this two parter failed to retain my interest to the extent that I'll not even bother to see the conclusion - unusual as I'm a big Sci-Fi enthusiast . However strong the cast , however generous the production budget a hackneyed script tends to leave the audience wanting less rather than more . If this is a ratings success I fear an equally unimaginative production of 'The Midwich Cuckoos' lays in wait for the long suffering audience next Christmas . :(

The shame is there are any number of novels and short stories from the greats of Science Fiction that have never been filmed , I'm thinking of the likes of Ray Bradbury , Issac Asimov and Arthur C Clarke (read 'Childhoods End') for instance - a veritable goldmine of fantastic and completely unexploited material which sensitively handled could have produced something both wonderful and original for us all to enjoy .

Yeah, know what you mean about rehashing, CEC.

If I could have my pick of classic British Sci-Fi stories right now, then I would have to plump for the official sequel to H.G.Wells' The Time Machine, called The Timeships, written by Stephen Baxter.

The original book [most definitely neither of the films that supposedly are based on it] is one of my favourite science fiction stories of all time. However, it is woefully short..! Baxter's sequel readdresses that with a spawling story that goes into the future [obviously], back into the past, into alternative futures, and alternative pasts. Great time paradoxes are explored and dealt with fairly nicely. There are some excellent settings and characters, for example, London with a sealed dome built over it completely, and Barnes-Wallis and Guy Gibson making appearances. In the distant alternative future there appear intelligent and highly civilised Morlocks, and other even more advanced life forms.

Anyway, off the top of my head, that would be my choice. Yours..?

That's a good shout , The potential in 'The Time Machine' is almost limitless and it would surely produce something far more interesting than Triffids .

As for my choice there are so many ..... Bradbury's 'Martian Chronicles' could be revisited to advantage (breaking my own request for originality) and I'd love to see someone attempt to film Harlan Ellison's notorious 'Deathbird Storys' - strong stuff and only suitable for broadcast after the watershed for sure but if you did it right something wonderful might emerge .

If you've ever read 'Paingod' it's an experience you're unlikely to forget I'd suggest and 'The Deathbird' itself is a prime example of Ellison's extraordinarily moving writing - the last Human alive confronts God in the ruins of a desolate Earth while the Devil argues he's had a bad press . The memory of it has just inspired me to pick it up it again !

I've have been watching ITV's new crime drama 'Above Suspicion : The Red Dahlia' and although the series has just about kept me watching it has to be said this is far from Lynda La Plante's best effort and a pale shadow of her rather wonderful 'Prime Suspect' of fond memory . Like Prime Suspect the programme deals with a difficult murder investigation (a copycat of the gruesome Black Dahlia case from the 1940's) with a focus on a female detective , but instead of the wonderful Helen Mirran we now have 'DC Travis' (Kelly Reily) - a sexy red head for sure but unfortunately I've seen tree's that are less wooded than this young actress and the suspicion that she was cast for her looks alone is difficult to shake . Some compensation is offered by the splendid Ciaran Hinds as her boss 'DCI Langton' - far too good a actor to get involved with substandard work such as this in my view .

Add uninspired direction and a weak (or underutilised) supporting cast to the mix and you can tell we're not talking about a classic here - more Taggart than Cracker if you know what I mean .

6/10 .

I am gutted. I bought a dodgy DVD version of Dexter Season 3 in Thailand in September while on hols. That is one series never likely to be shown down here, but as others have said, it is just superb.

Anyway, the last disc didn't work, so I took it back to the stall while there for NYE, the guy replaced it, downloded himself to be sure. We tested the disc on his PC. We tested it on the DVD player in the hotel room. We got back home to watch so we could move on to Season 4 and FFS doesn't work again - have tried it on 4 different DVD players/PC's now... grr

So started watching Flash Forward instead. Has potential, we're 3 episodes in, not sure if the hero spoils it by trying to be Nicholas Cage

Watched QI earlier. Bloody hell, was Ronni Ancona absolutely stunning, or what..? I don't know what it is about her, because the still camera doesn't like her face, but the moving camera certainly does. Of course, she was funny too, having a real skill in the meandering monologue. And fair play to the rest of the crew of Fry, Davies, Sandi Toksvig and Jack Dee for making it an entertaining programme.

Really want to see Deadwood and Breaking Bad, shame I am too blaahdy poor to buy them at the moment.

In other news though a works colleague has just lent me the Sopranos, which I have never seen before, amazingly. So once I have finished season 3 of Millennium I will get cracking mafiosi stylee.

Heroes Season 4

Stopped watching Heroes midway through Season 3, because it just seemed to disappear up its own arse with pretentiousness, but this season has restored my faith. The writing is much better (Villains, the first part of Season 3 was awful) and the characters are much more likeable too (especially Robert Knepper as Samuel, who although you know is obviously evil, you can't help but like him a little bit). We've only just got Episode 1 over here last week (it's on iPlayer), but it's been airing in America since September, and the episodes are available at http://www.cucirca.com/2007/05/27/watch-heroes-online/. I recommend that you take a look!

Heroes Season 4

Stopped watching Heroes midway through Season 3, because it just seemed to disappear up its own arse with pretentiousness, but this season has restored my faith. The writing is much better (Villains, the first part of Season 3 was awful) and the characters are much more likeable too (especially Robert Knepper as Samuel, who although you know is obviously evil, you can't help but like him a little bit). We've only just got Episode 1 over here last week (it's on iPlayer), but it's been airing in America since September, and the episodes are available at http://www.cucirca.com/2007/05/27/watch-heroes-online/. I recommend that you take a look!

Similar to me. I loved series 1, but after that it became harder to tell who was 'good', 'bad' etc and the whole thing became boring, story lines would suddenly stop, or change etc etc.

I've tried again with the new series and I'm afraid to me it's no better.

Misfits on E4 is tighter, more powerful, set in the UK and just about to start it's 2nd series in Feb I think. It was tucked away in the schedules and I found it by accident.

went to Shirley yesterday as i felt like being a gypsy by buying other people's unwanted tat. Found The Wire complete series 1-5 boxset in cash convertors for 25 of your english sterling. Am yet to watch any, and missed the start when it was on BBC last year, but am reliably informed by every in-the-know person ever that it will be well worth my time.

At last I will be able to converse with the cool kids again!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm addicted to Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe at the moment. If you don't know who he is, he's written various things from E4 series Dead Set to cracking comedy Nathan Barley, which he co-wrote with Chris Morris. But i'm sure that people will know who he is. Brooker casts his eye over the world of entertainment with such a level of hilarity and disdain that sometimes I honestly think i'm going to die with laughter. I highly reccommend that you watch it if you've not seen it before, and the episodes are on YouTube if you search for them.

Brooker also has a newspaper column, I believe. He wrote quite a nice article about the Cadbury takeover, which rang true on several points with me. Yes, I occasionally watch Charlie Brooker on TV too.

At the moment I'm halfway through the first half of a certain FA Cup Final from the mid' 70s. Aside from the Saints players, and putting my unbiased hat on, watching Steve Coppell reminds me what a very, very good player he was. Eventually IIRC during this match, Peachy and Holmes had the measure of him. Of course, on the opposite wing, Peter Rodrigues made Gordon Hill invisible all by himself.

Brooker also has a newspaper column, I believe. He wrote quite a nice article about the Cadbury takeover, which rang true on several points with me. Yes, I occasionally watch Charlie Brooker on TV too.

At the moment I'm halfway through the first half of a certain FA Cup Final from the mid' 70s. Aside from the Saints players, and putting my unbiased hat on, watching Steve Coppell reminds me what a very, very good player he was. Eventually IIRC during this match, Peachy and Holmes had the measure of him. Of course, on the opposite wing, Peter Rodrigues made Gordon Hill invisible all by himself.

Yeah, he writes for The Guardian, I read his column online sometimes. Not only is he a very funny guy, he's also very intelligent, and could easily be a serious journalist if he wants to, but he prefers p!ssing about making shows about High School Musical where he gets to "mock w*nk" as he calls it about every 20 seconds.

Anyone seen the remake of the Prisoner? I downloaded it from itunes and its pretty good but tails of quite badly into meh.

I recorded all 4/5 episodes of the mini series from channel TNT over here. I got through about half and the remaining episodes are still sitting there unwatched. Prolly should get through them. McKellan is good but the bloke who played Mel Gibson's Jesus as the Prisoner makes it harder to get through. Meh indeed.

Just enjoyed a download of James May playing with Lego...will do the Hornby trains episode tomorrow night. Fun.

Ah sh*t, meant to watch that. Is it any good?

Just imagine what the Labour Party might have been like if she had survived. More importantly, without Mo, there would not have been a Northern Ireland peace process. Loved the bit where she did a 'Basic Instinct' on David Trimble.

Watching the Sopranos as per my earlier post. Iced the first season yesterday morning, then watched three episodes of the second last night. Thus far I would say it is on a par with some of the best television I have ever had the privilege to see. It has everything - great acting, brilliantly written dialogue, lots of humour, references to other gangster-genre films, some world class swearing (When Uncle Jun fell in the shower and exclaimed "Sister's c**t!" I was laughing for about five minutes) and even some decent eye candy.

I love it!!!!!!!!

watched the Cleveland show last night.

The first 5 minutes was like watching Family Guy when it was funny.

Was a bit patchy but i'm going to stick with it

Yeah, it was okay. Not great. Thing is, he wasn't even the funniest character on the show and he somehow managed to get a spin-off. Would've much preferred to see a Herbert the Pervert spin-off :D

Dimbleby. :)

The iPlayer is going to take such a hammering over the coming week.

Damn! Got my Davids muddled :D

Just caught up on 'Mo' - I thought it was compelling viewing and it reminded me of what a great woman she was. I thought Julie Walters' portrayal was excellent. An ex of mine was assigned to her from the Diplomatic Protection Group and he said she really was a great person to know.

The Thick of It.

For anybody who keeps more than a weather eye on politics, this is genius. Was originally on BBC 3 but I think it's now getting repeated on BBC2 from time to time.

Absolutely the best dialogue of any comedy in recent years. Yes Minister brought bang up to date with a heavy dose of cynicism.

And it has absolutely the best character in the shape of the evil spin doctor Malcolm Tucker played by Glaswegian Peter Capaldi.

He swears non-stop but not just any old swearing, this is Malcolm Tucker swearing.

That's all. Fukity-bye.

Past couple of nights I've been watching a thing from the 70s called When The Boat Comes In, with James Bolam. Set on Tyneside (as you can imagine) in the 20s and 30s. Never heard of it before and stumbled on it by accident but it's bloody good; like all those BBC 70s dramas (I Claudius) the sets look like something out of Playskool but the script and acting are top notch.

I wish we still made stuff like this in Britain, unfortunately you have to look to the good American stuff to watch quality TV like this. Shame.

Past couple of nights I've been watching a thing from the 70s called When The Boat Comes In, with James Bolam. Set on Tyneside (as you can imagine) in the 20s and 30s. Never heard of it before and stumbled on it by accident but it's bloody good; like all those BBC 70s dramas (I Claudius) the sets look like something out of Playskool but the script and acting are top notch.

I wish we still made stuff like this in Britain, unfortunately you have to look to the good American stuff to watch quality TV like this. Shame.

I loved that first time around - which channel is showing it?

In the same vein, Our Friends in the North was good too.

More recently, The Street was a superb drama series, produced by the BBC (I think).