What Are You Watching..?

Robsk II

Flashforward, on Five did anyone else see this? Wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, the background story is quite interesting(the entire population of the world blacksout for 2 minutes 17 seconds at the same time and they all get a glimpse of their future's). I'll give it a few more weeks before passing judgement though.

• 3 weeks later...

Oz.

HBO prison series.

There's a torrent floating round with all 6 series.

Well worth a look.

But be warned, it is unrelentingly grim and disturbing.

Edit: I wish to point out that I do NOT condone file sharing or any kind of sharing. Remember: BE SELFISH, DON'T SHARE.

Edited by Block 5
Legal small print etc...

• 3 weeks later...

Armstrong and Miller are a particular favorite of mine ATM - living proof that the sketch show format lives on in rude health despite all reports to the contrary . Haven't been to the movies recently but the last time I did (some forgettable kids film) I witnessed 3D technology for the first time - wow !!!!

I have seen the future - and it comes with funny glasses .

ps - does anybody know when/if ITV will broadcast series 3 of 'Dexter' ?

• 3 weeks later...
Armstrong and Miller are a particular favorite of mine ATM - living proof that the sketch show format lives on in rude health despite all reports to the contrary . Haven't been to the movies recently but the last time I did (some forgettable kids film) I witnessed 3D technology for the first time - wow !!!!

I have seen the future - and it comes with funny glasses .

ps - does anybody know when/if ITV will broadcast series 3 of 'Dexter' ?

My brother took his grandson to see the new 3D animated A Christmas Carol and he said he was astounded by the 3D depth. By his descriptions, I would imagine it was pretty impressive.

Anyway, that's not why I'm adding to this thread. It's to comment on Garrow's Law. When I caught a trailer of this series I thought it might be pretty good. But since I missed the first couple of episodes, I didn't want to be a slave to the TV/iPlayer and just let it go. Then I friend of mine told me about it, and advised me to watch. I'm glad I did. Pretty damn good drama, although the stories are a little straightforward. I've had this opinion for some time that Costume Drama succeeds so well because the merest glance, the ill-chosen word, the slightest insult, bear enormous consequences. Whereas in dramas set in the present day the ettiquette is so blunted that all but the most blatant of scenarios fails to attract an audience. I hope for more Garrow's Law.

Paradox, as I missed the first episode I watched it on iplayer and if there is an award for the worst dialogue in a TV drama series then this is going to win hands down! I just wish I could travel back in time so I don't have to watch it in the first place. I see the budget cuts at the beeb are having no effect on the quality of their drama. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished a marathon catch up session of 'Misfits', hidden away on E4.

I tried the first episode after seeing the trailer and have ended up thoroughly enjoying the first series. Good new actors, imaginative storyline and funny too.

It would be easy to compare it to 'Heroes', but on an E4 budget. Just hope it doesn't disappear up it's own arse like that series did.

Looking forward to series 2 in the New Year.

Any art lovers out there (or even those with just a passing interest) would do well to catch BBC 4's 'The Private Life of a Christmas Masterpiece' - a fascinating look at a famous 'old master' painting and its (often remarkable) history . Last night featured one of my personal favorites - Pieter Brueghel's wonderful Census at Bethlehem . I can ask for no more really .

Highly recommended .

I don't care what anybody says, my favourite was Ivor the Engine.

My ringtone.

Ivor rocks.

Sooo much better than that wimpy Thomas (which is for kids).

In a one on one shunt-off, Ivor would kick Thomas's shiny blue bunker.

You can get a DVD with every episode on it.

You can get a DVD with every episode on it.

You turned into B Rabbit..? ;)

At the moment I'm sitting back with a nice piece of Stollen and a large brandy, and watching episodes of Red Dwarf III. I think the series was getting on top form by series 3. By then it was being LOL funny for much of an episode. Ah, nothing to do now but think how I'm going to cook the joint tomorrow. I was thinking about doing it overnight in a very slow oven. maybe I'l get up early and start it straight away. But then again, that sounds a bit energetic.

Well now back to Red Dwarf. Polymorph is the episode.

right now

A bridge too far

What colour underwear does she have on pervo? Are you outside her house spanking the monkey like Bundy? Which gets me onto this thread, I am going to watch the new Bundy film ( 2008 ) to get me into the xmas spirit, but I doubt it will be as good as the Michael Riley Burke one. I'll let you know later.

Last night [Xmas Eve] I watched the latest adaptation of The Hound Of The Baskervilles. I've always been a bit of a Sherlock Holmes fan ever since I first read the stories, as a kid, and have invariably found the traditional screen portrayals of Holmes and Watson to be inaccurate to varying degrees. A few years back, the Beeb did a completely new Holmes story with Rupert Everett, and whilst it was very good, I thought Everett, as Holmes, was a bit too brooding. Ian Hart, as Watson, was excellent, and pretty much the best screen Watson I've come across.

I don't know what it is with previous versions, but Holmes adventures are full of dark evil. Yes, there are the lighter stories, but more often than not, there is ample opportunity for serious adventure. One from the darker set is the Baskerville story. Unfortunately, it has been poorly made and remade so many times, and without fully exploring the depths of darkness of the story, that there is always something new that can be drawn from it. But it was with this inheritance that I had only mild expectation as I began to watch this one. And bloody glad I did, it's a little cracker.

Everyone knows the story in some form, and this adaptation keeps reasonably well to the original, except that it shifts the time to the festive season. Once again, Ian Hart plays Watson excellently, and the rest of the actors throw themselves into their parts with gusto. This time, Holmes is played by Richard Roxburgh and although I was sceptical at first, I'm not at all sure a better choice could have been made. Conan-Doyle was Scottish, and so is Roxburgh, who leaves the slightest lilt to his cultured and clipped english. Together, Hart and Roxburgh team up very well indeed, and I would be quite happy to see a whole raft of adventures involving them. Also nice to see, in this adventure, that the story location of Dartmoor was properly used. It provided that sharper edge.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/houndofthebaskervilles/

Did a little digging on the adaptation I was writing about, and found the Beeb had made it back in 2002..! So it was earlier than the adventure involving Rupert Everett, by two years. I missed it back then, but I'm glad I've seen it at last. What a shame Roxburgh didn't carry on playing Holmes.

Oh well...

Seeing no version of The Signalman in the schedules, I decided to get my old home made DivX disc of it down from the shelf. It never fails. It's not the ghostliness of the story, which is quite gentle by today's standards, but the quality of the story and the performance of the actors, primarily Denholm Elliot [the signalman] and Bernard Lloyd [the traveller]. It's perfect for snuggling well into your armchair with a good whisky or brandy. I can always recommend it.

And my old DivX CD is standing up very well in the quality of its play too.

Did a little digging on the adaptation I was writing about, and found the Beeb had made it back in 2002..! So it was earlier than the adventure involving Rupert Everett, by two years. I missed it back then, but I'm glad I've seen it at last. What a shame Roxburgh didn't carry on playing Holmes.

Oh well...

I enyoyed it to a degree but to be frank I found Roxburgh's performance rather anemic and the actor playing Watson was at least 15 years too young for the part . This adaption also annoyed me by portraying Holmes as a habitual drug user or addict even while investigating an intensely interesting case such as Hound of the Baskervilles - any fan blessed with even the most basic grasp of Conan Doyle's wonderful creation will know that the worlds first and foremost consulting detective would only ever partake of his notorious '15% solution' during periods of extreme boredom between cases ("the dull routine of everyday life" as he called it) and never while at his work as it were .

While this version of 'Hounds' may have its problems I fear they will pale into insignificance when compared to the new film - portraying Holmes as a Hollywood action hero just about misses the point on every possible level - I refuse to watch it on a point of principle .

I must confess I may not be the best judge of modern Sherlock Holmes productions as I'm still in awe of Granada TV/Jeremy Brett's definitive Holmes from the 80's . Rather like previous generations for whom Holmes and Basil Rathbone were synonymous I just can't see anyone even getting close to Brett in the subtlety and intelligence he brought to what was to prove the greatest role of his all too short life .

If the formidable Irene Adler was always The Woman to Holmes then Jeremy Brett will forever remain The Sherlock Holmes to me - I can accept no substitutes unfortunately .

0206sherlock.jpg

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

I enyoyed it to a degree but to be frank I found Roxburgh's performance rather anemic and the actor playing Watson was at least 15 years too young for the part . This adaption also annoyed me by portraying Holmes as a habitual drug user or addict even while investigating an intensely interesting case such as Hound of the Baskervilles - any fan blessed with even the most basic grasp of Conan Doyle's wonderful creation will know that the worlds first and foremost consulting detective would only ever partake of his notorious '15% solution' during periods of extreme boredom between cases ("the dull routine of everyday life" as he called it) and never while at his work as it were .

While this version of 'Hounds' may have its problems I fear they will pale into insignificance when compared to the new film - portraying Holmes as a Hollywood action hero just about misses the point on every possible level - I refuse to watch it on a point of principle .

I must confess I may not be the best judge of modern Sherlock Holmes productions as I'm still in awe of Granada TV/Jeremy Brett's definitive Holmes from the 80's . Rather like previous generations for whom Holmes and Basil Rathbone were synonymous I just can't see anyone even getting close to Brett in the subtlety and intelligence he brought to what was to prove the greatest role of his all too short life .

If the formidable Irene Adler was always The Woman to Holmes then Jeremy Brett will forever remain The Sherlock Holmes to me - I can accept no substitutes unfortunately .

Hmm, can't really agree with a lot of that. As I've said before, I've read all the Holmes stories, and it may help if I say I've re-read them on many occasions. So when it comes to age and the respective character of the players, I think I've got a prety good idea. Ian Hart is certainly NOT too young to play Watson. He is supposedly playing a character in his early 40s. We're not talking about the bumbling character Nigel Bruce [of the Basil Rathbone era] made Watson out to be. Watson was actually intelligent and quick of mind and body, and in any other situation, he would more than have held his own. However, he was partnered by a genuis of logic and observation, in Holmes, who was actually very channelled in his intelligence. He could certainly be a bit of a thicko, in some areas, where he had absolutely no interest at all. In these general areas, Watson was more than his equal. But Watson was definitely on Holmes's turf, and so obviously lagged behind. Holmes' genius is to be able to gather the threads and make the leap of logic, that no other fictional detective is capable of. Many adaptations quite portray Watson incorrectly, let alone Holmes. Alongside Jeremy Brett, David Burke played Watson too slow of thought, and although Edward Hardwicke had his character right on the money, he was beginning to be too old for the part.

For my money, Jeremy Brett was an excellent Holmes, if a little too theatrical and emotional. Holmes was a minimalist. He was cold in character, and only thawed in exceptional circumstances. Brett was a little too warm, IMO. I think Roxburgh gives a very good account of Holmes, although being The Hound Of The Baskervilles, this is almost Watson's adventure, and so we don't see as much of Holmes as we usually might. Roxburgh's Holmes is cold [anaemic is pretty good], calculating, and he makes errors. People die, or are gravely injured, because he doesn't solve the case in time. This is all found in the stories.

However, one performance doesn't allow us to make a real judgement when based against so many of Brett's, whose performances definitely got worse as he aged, gained weight, and lost health. It also didn't help that ITV would inevitably try to screw up the stories by blending several of them into one episode. I have all the JB Holmes episodes. For my money, it's a shame the Beeb didn't do them instead.

BTW IIRC, Holmes would occasionally take a 5-7% solution when on a case.

No, I'm not expecting great things of the Downey Jr Holmes. However, I won't blank it out.

Edited by St Landrew

Hmm, can't really agree with a lot of that. As I've said before, I've read all the Holmes stories, and it may help if I say I've re-read them on many occasions. So when it comes to age and the respective character of the players, I think I've got a prety good idea. Ian Hart is certainly NOT too young to play Watson. He is supposedly playing a character in his early 40s. We're not talking about the bumbling character Nigel Bruce [of the Basil Rathbone era] made Watson out to be. Watson was actually intelligent and quick of mind and body, and in any other situation, he would more than have held his own. However, he was partnered by a genuis of logic and observation, in Holmes, who was actually very channelled in his intelligence. He could certainly be a bit of a thicko, in some areas, where he had absolutely no interest at all. In these general areas, Watson was more than his equal. But Watson was definitely on Holmes's turf, and so obviously lagged behind. Holmes' genius is to be able to gather the threads and make the leap of logic, that no other fictional detective is capable of. Many adaptations quite portray Watson incorrectly, let alone Holmes. Alongside Jeremy Brett, David Burke played Watson too slow of thought, and although Edward Hardwicke had his character right on the money, he was beginning to be too old for the part.

For my money, Jeremy Brett was an excellent Holmes, if a little too theatrical and emotional. Holmes was a minimalist. He was cold in character, and only thawed in exceptional circumstances. Brett was a little too warm, IMO. I think Roxburgh gives a very good account of Holmes, although being The Hound Of The Baskervilles, this is almost Watson's adventure, and so we don't see as much of Holmes as we usually might. Roxburgh's Holmes is cold [anaemic is pretty good], calculating, and he makes errors. People die, or are gravely injured, because he doesn't solve the case in time. This is all found in the stories.

However, one performance doesn't allow us to make a real judgement when based against so many of Brett's, whose performances definitely got worse as he aged, gained weight, and lost health. It also didn't help that ITV would inevitably try to screw up the stories by blending several of them into one episode. I have all the JB Holmes episodes. For my money, it's a shame the Beeb didn't do them instead.

BTW IIRC, Holmes would occasionally take a 5-7% solution when on a case.

No, I'm not expecting great things of the Downey Jr Holmes. However, I won't blank it out.

I would never claim or argue that Dr Watson was written or should be portrayed as a buffoon - far from it (although Nigel Bruce played the fool rather well in retrospect) but to me a young looking 30 something actor looked entirely out of place in this key role . I see the original Strand Illustrations as the best guide as to how ACD envisioned the characters appearance .

As for the BBC not making Brett's Holmes I tend to agree but they obviously must still have thought pretty highly of them because they bought the series off Granada after all and broadcast it a few years ago - a most singular event in this corporations long history I'm sure you will agree . I have no memory of SH taking drugs during a case and certainly not while he was investigating the Hounds , but if you say he did then I'll take your word for it .

You criticise JB for portraying Holmes in a 'too emotional' light - for me far from being a weakness Jeremy Brett's ability to find the humanity underlying Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's apparently 'cold fish' was the mark of his genius and a object lesson in the true actors craft .

I revisited the Granada Hound of the Baskervilles only a few months ago as it happens and for me while it's most definitely not my personal favorite ('The Blue Carbuncle' by the way) it easily outranks all other recent versions in its sense of period menace and threat , but 'each to his own' as they say .

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

I revisited the Granada Hound of the Baskervilles only a few months ago as it happens and for me while it's most definitely not my personal favorite ('The Blue Carbuncle' by the way) it easily outranks all other recent versions in its sense of period menace and threat , but 'each to his own' as they say .

Yeah, The Blue Carbuncle isn't bad at all. My personal favourites from the Granada series are The Bruce-Partington Plans and The Musgrave Ritual. Upthere in terms of the stories, should have been The Sussex Vampire, but ITV screwed it up, as they so often do.They did it with several adventures, also notably with The Mazarin Stone.

I couldn't tell you my favourite story from the text. Many of them are of comparable quality. I also think radio is almost the prefect medium for Holmes tales.

What did you think of Rupert Everett in The Case Of The Silk Stocking..?

Yeah, The Blue Carbuncle isn't bad at all. My personal favourites from the Granada series are The Bruce-Partington Plans and The Musgrave Ritual. Upthere in terms of the stories, should have been The Sussex Vampire, but ITV screwed it up, as they so often do.They did it with several adventures, also notably with The Mazarin Stone.

I couldn't tell you my favourite story from the text. Many of them are of comparable quality. I also think radio is almost the prefect medium for Holmes tales.

What did you think of Rupert Everett in The Case Of The Silk Stocking..?

I didn't like Rupert Everett very much either (yes I know I'm being too hard) I thought they strayed too far from the ethos of the original work - almost CSI Baker Street at times . It's interesting to speculate on how Holmes would have coped with modern crime forensics - he would have loved the pure science involved but hated the reduced role for deductive reasoning that would have resulted from it . I did rather like that series the BBC made on Dr Joseph Bell a few years ago - more of that would have been most welcome .

As I say The Blue Carbuncle is special for me (especially at Christmas) but as a child reading ACD for the first time it was 'The Red Headed League' that probably captured my imagination , while no great feats of mental gymnastics are required from our hero the mystery of the story is quite wonderful to my mind and outrageously unlikely . :D

I think modern TV producers are missing out on a trick - instead of trying to endlessly reinvent Sherlock why not write a original story around the really bright member of the Holmes family - Mycroft .

I did rather like that series the BBC made on Dr Joseph Bell a few years ago - more of that would have been most welcome .

I think modern TV producers are missing out on a trick - instead of trying to endlessly reinvent Sherlock why not write a original story around the really bright member of the Holmes family - Mycroft .

Agree on Rupert Everett, although I think Holmes would have loved modern forensic detection. He was the first [fictional] detective to use forensic methods, after all. It is said that Scotland Yard actually did begin to be more scientific in their methodology due to ACD's accounts, although I'm not sure of the validity of that. As the episode involving Everett, I thought it fine, and nothing that ACD couldn't have written, as all the Conan-Doyle elements are there.

I completely missed the scottish Dr Bell series, and I hope some day that they are repeated.

I agree that modern TV producers may have missed a trick. But then Mycroft was such a stay-at-home. He was either the clerk and computer at Whitehall, in his rooms, or at his Diogenes Club. He did nothing other than that. As Sherlock said, of Mycroft's ability to be a detective; he is incapable of it..! Not much scope there then, unless you meant something other than a detective series.

At the same time as the BBC cast Rupert Everett, ITV had cast Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie in the Holmes/Watson roles. But as the productions clashed, ITV put the Fry/Laurie one on hold. Laurie went off to do House and it was never thought about again. Shame.

I think Fry and Laurie would have been awful as Holmes and Watson. Maybe if Hugh Laurie had been Holmes they may have had a chance. But Stephen fry just isn't hard edged enough, and I've seen too many soft portrayals of Holmes and Watson, as if they belong to a set of detectives including Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot. Frankly, Holmes is much, much grittier than that pair.

Agree on Rupert Everett, although I think Holmes would have loved modern forensic detection. He was the first [fictional] detective to use forensic methods, after all. It is said that Scotland Yard actually did begin to be more scientific in their methodology due to ACD's accounts, although I'm not sure of the validity of that. As the episode involving Everett, I thought it fine, and nothing that ACD couldn't have written, as all the Conan-Doyle elements are there.

I completely missed the scottish Dr Bell series, and I hope some day that they are repeated.

I agree that modern TV producers may have missed a trick. But then Mycroft was such a stay-at-home. He was either the clerk and computer at Whitehall, in his rooms, or at his Diogenes Club. He did nothing other than that. As Sherlock said, of Mycroft's ability to be a detective; he is incapable of it..! Not much scope there then, unless you meant something other than a detective series.

Your depiction of Mycroft Holmes is of course exactly as Arthur Conan Doyle described him but my idea of a Mycroft Holmes series - I will call it 'The Reluctant Detective' - is that the characters idleness and well known fondness for never leaving the comforts of the Diogenes Club become the main thrust (indeed the 'unique selling point') of the script . What fun we could have dragging this fundamentally aloof and unwilling curmudgeon away from his stuffy little world and out into the fight against crime - a fish out of water offers some real comedic potential .

You'd have to invent some pretext to get Mycroft to engage in real work obviously , perhaps MH's shadowy HM Government connections might suite him to a counter-espionage as much as a crime fighting role (he could even found the precursor to MI5) and a less astute 'sidekick' would ensure that the Holmes family's insufferable tendency for showing off could be well catered for . Steven Fry may well be all wrong for Sherlock but he'd make a wonderful Mycroft .

Detectives are seldom if ever portrayed as inactive establishment types (quite the opposite) so I'd hope The Reluctant Detective might provide something that is all too rare on modern television - a new experience .

PS - I fear I may just have reinvented Inspector Morse !

What a great debate about the great detective!

IMHO Brett's portrayal of Holmes is superb, and nobody has come anywhere near.

I just spotted the Granada / Jeremy Brett box set for only £30 in Tesco: bargain!

As for radio productions, the BBC produced the entire canon with Clive Merrison as Holmes and Michael Williams as Watson a few years back. They are pretty good although Merrison occasionally gets on my nerves.

You should be able to pick them all up on CD as audiobooks.

PS. Holmes never took cocaine when he was on a case.

I think Fry and Laurie would have been awful as Holmes and Watson. Maybe if Hugh Laurie had been Holmes they may have had a chance. But Stephen fry just isn't hard edged enough, and I've seen too many soft portrayals of Holmes and Watson, as if they belong to a set of detectives including Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot. Frankly, Holmes is much, much grittier than that pair.

Couldn't agree more StL. What people don't really think about is that Holmes was operating in a dangerous time. The late 1800's had an underground scene that would frighten off most crime fighters, so Homes would have to be a pretty tough guy. I have never really read the book, so can only base my views on films and TV. Stephen Fry would have been awful as either one of Homes or Watson. He's just too camp. At that time he would have been a bit of a fatty as well, not the way a crime fighter would be. That's why I Robert Downey Jr has got to be the best Homes that there has been to date. He brings a toughness oto the role and a sexiness, that has been really lacking. He makes Homes seem like a real crimefighter. I like the way he shows off his toned body.....a crimefighter like Holmes would have to be fit. I like the way he gets involved in sexual deviancy......it's a great insight into the lonely life of a crimefighter. Whenever you see other detectives portrayed, they are always shown as struggling with relationships (Morse, Frost, Juliet Bravo etc) but never do they accept that this lack of relationship building will inevitably lead to sexual deviancy. I like that and I like the way Downey does it. He is by far the best Homes and should be applauded. I just hope that the writer is able to come up with a sequel or two because this Homes story has a lot of potential and Downey as Homes has a lot more to offer.

Couldn't agree more StL. What people don't really think about is that Holmes was operating in a dangerous time. The late 1800's had an underground scene that would frighten off most crime fighters, so Homes would have to be a pretty tough guy. I have never really read the book, so can only base my views on films and TV. Stephen Fry would have been awful as either one of Homes or Watson. He's just too camp. At that time he would have been a bit of a fatty as well, not the way a crime fighter would be. That's why I Robert Downey Jr has got to be the best Homes that there has been to date. He brings a toughness oto the role and a sexiness, that has been really lacking. He makes Homes seem like a real crimefighter. I like the way he shows off his toned body.....a crimefighter like Holmes would have to be fit. I like the way he gets involved in sexual deviancy......it's a great insight into the lonely life of a crimefighter. Whenever you see other detectives portrayed, they are always shown as struggling with relationships (Morse, Frost, Juliet Bravo etc) but never do they accept that this lack of relationship building will inevitably lead to sexual deviancy. I like that and I like the way Downey does it. He is by far the best Homes and should be applauded. I just hope that the writer is able to come up with a sequel or two because this Homes story has a lot of potential and Downey as Homes has a lot more to offer.

The books are worth reading. There aren't many, why not invest in a copy of "A Study in Scarlet"?

The books are worth reading. There aren't many, why not invest in a copy of "A Study in Scarlet"?

Indeed, unless you want to pay for bound or limited editions, you can pick up the complete short stories in one volume, and the novels in another, quite cheaply. Pretty amazing for the world's greatest detective.

When I read the whole lot again as an adult, I picked up two books from Chancellor Press complete with original sketches by Sidney Paget, £7.99 [stories] and £5.99 [novels]. They're well out of print now, but even today you can find a something similar:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Sherlock-Wordsworth-Library-Collection/dp/1840220767/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

That's a far better deal than I got 25 years ago. :)

Edited by St Landrew

Indeed, unless you want to pay for bound or limited editions, you can pick up the complete short stories in one volume, and the novels in another, quite cheaply. Pretty amazing for the world's greatest detective.

When I read the whole lot again as an adult, I picked up two books from Chancellor Press complete with original sketches by Sidney Paget, £7.99 [stories] and £5.99 [novels]. They're well out of print now, but even today you can find a something similar:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Sherlock-Wordsworth-Library-Collection/dp/1840220767/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

That's a far better deal than I got 25 years ago. :)

I have the two-volume set The Annotated Sherlock Holmes (in hardcover) edited by William Baring-Gould.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Annotated-Sherlock-Holmes-William-Baring-Gould/dp/0517502917/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261936877&sr=1-5

I saw a version of Hound Of The Baskervilles with Spike Milligan as Sherlock Homes. It was all right but it got a bit silly after a while and they kind of ruined it. I dont know why they didnt just follow the original story its not as if Arthur Conan Doyle is a bad writer!!

I hate it when they change the film story from the original book it came from. I think it is disresepctful to the writer and Spike Miligan is nothing like I imagine Sherlock Homes to be like he was a comedian mostly.

I have the two-volume set The Annotated Sherlock Holmes (in hardcover) edited by William Baring-Gould.

Ah, now William S. Baring-Gould was quite an authority on Holmes. He even wrote a "biography" of the detective, which I have, and argued that it wasn't a work of fiction..!

http://www.alibris.co.uk/booksearch?cm_sp=narrow*middle*hard&wquery=Sherlock+holmes+of+Baker+Street&qwork=6054434&qsort=pr&browse=2&binding=H

Edited by St Landrew

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Annotated-Sherlock-Holmes-William-Baring-Gould/dp/0517502917/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261936877&sr=1-5

I have this edition too. It is much better than the other editions that are just words because there are lots of pictures and you can just look at them and work out what the words mean from the pictures. I am glad there is someone else like me who goes for annotated editions for this reason.

Anyone had a go at The Orson Welles Sketchbook in the last few days. A bit self indulgent, but there are few people who could witter on about something I know nothing about and remain interesting. Here's episode 4 on the BBC iPlayer:

Hopefully you picked up a few tips.