What Are You Watching..?

Robsk II

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OZ if your of a gritty hbo bent (sopranos wire etc) it predates them but was brilliant at least for the first two series

also track down CITY of MENnot the film but series by those who made city of god

aslo worth a revisit is

smileys people and tinker tailor both from the late 70,s 80,s alec guiness is sublime

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So, a few recommendations.

Breaking Bad is back. If you haven't seen it, the general premise is that a high school chemistry teacher finds out he has terminal cancer and decides to start making crystal meth to provide a nest-egg for his family after his death. Very well written, with some real dark humour. Brian Cranston ( Malcolm in the Middle's dad ) is the lead.

True Blood is back for a fourth season. Excellent show, but full of nooky like most HBO stuff. I'm not actually against nooky per se, but it looks a bit sussed when you're watching these shows in digs, and there are sounds of sexual conduct coming from your room. Set in a universe where vampires are real, and have "come out".

Finally, any fans of the 80s Transformers show that have been disappointed with the big screen Baygasms will love Transformers Prime. It's a CGI show masterminded by two of the Lost writers, focuses on the robots, has the original actors for Optimus Prime and Megatron in their respective roles and also features sci-fi legend Jeffrey Combs. What more could you want, apart from the obvious, which is a life.

So, a few recommendations.

Breaking Bad is back. If you haven't seen it, the general premise is that a high school chemistry teacher finds out he has terminal cancer and decides to start making crystal meth to provide a nest-egg for his family after his death. Very well written, with some real dark humour. Brian Cranston ( Malcolm in the Middle's dad ) is the lead.

True Blood is back for a fourth season. Excellent show, but full of nooky like most HBO stuff. I'm not actually against nooky per se, but it looks a bit sussed when you're watching these shows in digs, and there are sounds of sexual conduct coming from your room. Set in a universe where vampires are real, and have "come out".

Finally, any fans of the 80s Transformers show that have been disappointed with the big screen Baygasms will love Transformers Prime. It's a CGI show masterminded by two of the Lost writers, focuses on the robots, has the original actors for Optimus Prime and Megatron in their respective roles and also features sci-fi legend Jeffrey Combs. What more could you want, apart from the obvious, which is a life.

Has the 4th series of TB started in America now then?

CBS Action are repeating Star Trek TNG from the very beginning as of yesterday. Bejeesus! How dated does this look now?

I remember when this was first aired on UK TV when I was at secondary school, and I thought it was the coolest thing EVER! But watching it again now it looks almost as dodgy, in terms of the sets and effects, as the original 60s series.

CBS Action are repeating Star Trek TNG from the very beginning as of yesterday. Bejeesus! How dated does this look now?

I remember when this was first aired on UK TV when I was at secondary school, and I thought it was the coolest thing EVER! But watching it again now it looks almost as dodgy, in terms of the sets and effects, as the original 60s series.

Funnily enough, I'm in the middle of watching the pilot again, and thought exactly the same thing. Most of that episode looks like the result of a raid on a period drama's costume department.

I love me a bit of Trek though, and TNG contains some of the best of it. By the time I've watched a few episodes, my brain will have already stopped noticing the crappy effects.

• 1 month later...

I've just seen 'Too Much, Too Young' a BBC 4 programme covering the mysterious (and often overlooked) world of the Medieval child. Presented by one of these telegenic young academics that seem now to dominate this type of production (in this case Dr Stephen Baxter) I found it both throughly informative and entertaining. It seems that the 1960's idea that childhood as we know it just didn't exist as a distinctly different stage of life back in the middle ages turns out to be very mistaken.

Children, then as now, did manage to find the time in their hard life's to play games and have fun, and although they only had an appalling 1 in 2 chance of surviving into adulthood each child was as precious and loved by their parents as any of their modern equivalents. When you think about it people don't really change that much do they. When you consider that we can (And do) today imprison children as young as 10 years old, it was illuminating to discover that as far back as Anglo-Saxon times a child was not considered fully adult until they reached the age of 12. Something tells me on that particular question our ancestors were more right than we are.

Probably still available on that iPlayer thingy, I can recommend it to all.

• 3 weeks later...

BBC America are being especially kind to me recently. They've been showing the first series of Battlestar Galactica (yes,nothing to do with the Beeb...) I've been impressed and pleasantly surprised.

Also been enjoying The Hour and new season of Luthor starts soon, on the same channel.

Been a diehard fan of Dexter over the years, but the first season passed me by when it originally aired. About halfway through and it is bloody brilliant. New series starts soon on Showtime. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Camelot.

Sort of a poor man's Game of Thrones, makes sure it has some great breasts in every episode.

Arthur is a wimpy surfer Dude type and it doesn't work, Merlin is Joseph Fiennes and he is excellent with a darkness and pain in every word.

So, apart from Merlin, the scenery and hubba hubba Arthur's half sister Morgan (Eva Green http://www.google.ae/search?q=eva+green+pictures&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7SMSN_en___GB373&prmd=ivnso&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=lSl-TtWyMMe_0QXh85jrDw&ved=0CCIQsAQ&biw=1183&bih=653), what makes it enjoyable?

It's the "re-imagining" of the Legend, not so much the script, but just the way they have brought the characters and a twist to the stories, how Excalibur was formed, the Sword in the Stone, The Lady in the Lake. It's also the Celtic feel of the sets and the feeling that it has links back to the Cornish/Tintagel ideas of Camelot.

Look too closely it's not too good. Step back and "feel the story" then it's been done well.

It won't get past the 1st Series, but an enjoyable hour of watching each evening

Crikey, we are up to date these days with our Telly Series.

Completely by accident last night caught the two hour pilot/premiere of Terra Nova, only 2 days after it aired in the US. the ads gave no indication what it was about - seemed a family living in wilderness type thing.

Starts in 2140 with the world dying of Environmental damage and families limited to 2 kids by law with a Cop getting home to his family of 5 with an Orange. The future world CGI Effects are really good, but was trying to work out why there was a mix of US & Aus accents, still thinking it was some new Aussie series.

Anyway there is a crack in the fabric of Spacetime (oh see what Torchwood/Dr Who has done there) and so mankinds' only hope is to be zapped 85 billion years back into the past to "start again".

So the family end up in a camp and suddenly it seems we are in Walking with Dinosaurs but with humans and future technology....

It's only at the end of the first episode that I notice it is an Amblin Production, some googling this morning and it is Spielberg's massive budget one year project Jurassic Park re-visited and filmed in Aus.

It IS very good, the action sequences, the scenery and sets (over 250 of them) are excellent (although a couple of scenes were really poor painted backdrops - seems they lost a lot of shots to heavy rains). (Each episode takes 6-8 days to shoot but 6 WEEKS of post production and with a massive budget)

So it seems everything is set up for a cracker. We have dino's, we have conspiracies (strange markings on rocks, refusnik rebels), Environmentally protective ways of dealing with Killer Dino's....

But we also seem to have Kids. Young Kids and kids with Teenage Angst rebellious streaks.

So it could gto either way, if they can stick to balancing the conspiracies with the struggle to build a new world and NOT fill it with too much "family soppiness" this is going to be a massive series in the US and no doubt soon in the UK.

Visually excellent and has Spielberg quality all over it (apart from the two paintings - lol)

Wednesday nights are going to be stay home nights over here for a while that's for sure.

Hope the writers don't feck it up

Crikey, we are up to date these days with our Telly Series.

Completely by accident last night caught the two hour pilot/premiere of Terra Nova, only 2 days after it aired in the US. the ads gave no indication what it was about - seemed a family living in wilderness type thing.

I watched this too. While they've obviously lashed a lot of money into it, and the general premise is exciting enough on the surface, they really need to sort some of their writing out.

Example? That bit where all the teenagers are trapped in an RV, surrounded by killer dinos, cognescant that help is on the way.

So one of them decides that instead of just waiting, she's going to run out of the armoured vehicle and make her way five miles back to the camp, in the midst of a ****load of nocturnal dinosaurs ( including the ones surrounding the RV).

Bolox.

BBC America are being especially kind to me recently. They've been showing the first series of Battlestar Galactica (yes,nothing to do with the Beeb...) I've been impressed and pleasantly surprised.

Also been enjoying The Hour and new season of Luthor starts soon, on the same channel.

Been a diehard fan of Dexter over the years, but the first season passed me by when it originally aired. About halfway through and it is bloody brilliant. New series starts soon on Showtime. :)

Stick with BSG. Really good series. If you plant your head in the real world time that it started, you'll get more out of it. Despite being a sci-fi show, the things that happen have incredibly strong parallels with things that were going on in real life at the time.

As usual, you have to watch sci-fi or comedy to get close to the heart of an issue.

Watched 4 seasons of Breaking Bad in the last month or so, cannot wait for the last 2 episodes of this season. Such a great show!

Good lad, SuperMikey.

Some absolutely tremendous performances in that show.

Very difficult to pick a favourite character when so many are portrayed so well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Been watching Top Boy on Channel 4 recently, it's fantastic. Not only is the acting brilliant by an almost unknown cast, it's absorbing, well-written and gritty too. And to top it all off, it's scored by Brian Eno.

Definitely watch this if you haven't seen it already!

I won 2 free tickets to see Britney in concert.

I'm just back from it.

I didn't post this in the what are you listening to thread because it really wasn't music. Hell, she kept forgetting the words to her own songs. Luckily she was miming so most the crowd didn't notice.

It was a Light & Dance Spectacular without much dancing. Although the Male dancers seemed to pay homage to the original Police Academy by wearing outfits from the Blue Oyster Bar.

She is really getting a bit too dumpy for an evening of Swimsuit demonstrations, and really not so sure how her LapDance of a Local kid is going to go down with the censors here. I detect a bit of an uproar.

It was about as sexy as a fart in a Jacuzzi and her bum is not worthy of the name compared to Kylie. It was worth the price of a free ticket but I'm pretty hacked off about paying 6 quid for the petrol to get there.

If she comes to a venue near you soon & your 13 year old daughter insists on going - LET HER GO WITH HER MATES, trust me, you'd rather sit in the Fratton End on a Saturday afternoon

Very pleased to see the return of 'The Mentalist' after too long a wait, although I must say the relative ease of Jane's escape from the serious charges he was facing did seem a tad contrived. The new series of 'The Closer' on the other hand maintains this series very high standards - indeed, it's something of a mystery to this viewer why this fine show is buried on late night TV.

But the highlight of the week may well turn out to be Sunday nights series premier of 'Garrow's Law' on BBC1 - If it's half as good as the previous series then we're in for a treat.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just bought a DVD box set of Star Trek: 'The Original Series' with the laudable intention of giving it away as a Christmas present. Unfortunately I'm enjoying the adventures of Captain Kirk and his valiant crew so much I thinking of keeping it. Yes Ive seen them all a 100 times and I'm a terrible Sci-Fi geek, but this really is all my yesterdays in a box.

Disappointed with the new series of Garrow's Law by the way - I fear it's lost its mojoe

• 3 weeks later...
Breaking Bad just gets better and better. Didn't think they'd top the season 3 finale but the end of season 4 was intense. They could almost have ended the show there. Think there's one more season. Glad they've kept it darker and more real than Dexter, where you always know you like the protagonist.

Breaking Bad became something epic toward the end of season four. What is astounding about that achievement is that it happened in a very organic way. No "jump the shark" moments. The characters are what drives this show, and much like The Wire, I enjoy seeing all of them. Saul Goodman is just amazing.

Speaking of Dexter, the end of season 6 has been quite good. Still unsure about the writing over the last couple of years though. Dialogue has become cheesy and Dexter seems to make far less effort to be careful, people are acting out of character and there are some continuity problems, not to mention not enough development over the whole season. It needs to work towards an ending now really. 8 seasons is too much and it'd be a shame to see it decline further.

I have enjoyed Dexter this year, but I know a lot of people haven't (for reasons you're all too aware of, but again, no spoilers). The major problem with the show at this point in its life is the tendency to hit the reset button. Apparently, in the Jeff Lindsay books, Deb finds out about Dex pretty early on. I hope they're moving toward that. I think it'll be an interesting dynamic.

The real question for me this year is why Dexter even bothered getting involved to the level he did. His sister is running the department and could desperately do with a win. Dexter literally had no relationship with the killer apart from that he cultivated himself. No reason to get involved with the amount of evidence that he would have been able to accumulate.

Anyone watched Person of Interest? Fantastic show, best new thing I've seen in a long time. Could go anywhere with it really, it's almost real life Batman, with a hint of Bond but a lot of background info and flashbacks like Lost, and clearly a far bigger story in the background. A must see. As always with the great drama, it's not on here, so online is the only way to watch.

I've seen the first couple of episodes of this. Have to say, while I think it was well done, just got the impression that it was Early Edition with more pizazz and less information. Might give it another go. Do the following episodes step the game up at all?

Why is US drama so much better? I like a lot of UK comedy, the occasional piece of drama, but the US just makes it work better. Probably bigger budgets, makes it more cinematic, better locations, better actors, better writers. Really can't imagine Breaking Bad, Dexter, The Wire being set over here without seeming endlessly crap.

I'm in the same boat as you are on the relative quality of UK and US drama. Most of the stuff I enjoy watching is from the US, although we are making some excellent stuff too. Misfits is a really great show, which I'd wholeheartedly recommend.

As for why we're poles apart, I think a lot of it has to do with commercial revenue. The Beeb is constantly under review, and has always been subject to smaller budgets than its US counterparts. ITV knows where its bread is buttered, so ploughs its cash into reality nonsense.

Channel 4 deserve a lot of praise for their output. I know they kickstarted the reality rush with Big Brother, but they do really good and subversive work for a commercial broadcaster.

Although I'm only up to series 3 with Dexter, I must say I'm still finding it to be deliciously dark entertainment - but as you say commercial pressures within the US TV industry will probably keep it in production far too long and sully the stella reputation among its devoted audience it has earned. That would be a great shame because it's truly compelling television and a unique concept for mainstream programming.

But leaving all that that to one side for the moment, would the existence of a human being the like of Dexter Morgan be even possible in the real world ? Could you in reality, like Harry Morgan did in fiction, take a profoundly damaged child psychopath in-the-making like Dexter and intensively train him to become a high-functioning killer (with a kind of moral purpose) that could fit in with the 'normal' people around him, and for his true nature to remain unsuspected by all - bar the much missed Sgt Doakes that is ?

From the little I know of real life psychopathic killers (Peter Sutcliffe, Thomas Hamilton, Ed Gain ... etc) they tend to become isolated from mainstream human society and they would probably display evident signs of their internal disorder to those around them if they were not. There again we've all heard of the 'he seemed like a nice bloke' type quotes from neighbours every time one is uncovered I suppose.

Possible or not, the script writing and acting from Dexter's brilliant ensemble cast is of such a high order that I'm more than happy to suspend any doubts I may harbour regarding the programmes (fascinating) central conceit - for the moment.

OK just seen XFactor US final.

Have to say can see why SC left you lot in the UK with Gary Barlow & went Stateside.

Any one of the finalists could be Will Young or Gareth Gates, apart from the chick who could be Whitney or Maria.

Anyway loved it and hope the fat old rocker wins it. His total disbelief at introducing Alanis in his song in the final was what makes him our fav

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2077367/X-Factor-USA-Finalists-duet-Alanis-Morissette-Avril-Lavigne-R-Kelly.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

The results show was great "Light Entertainment" again, with a nice touch from the Superstars.

I'd probably download a Josh Krajick Album. But Melanie will be a Vegas Cabaret Superbowl classic singer.

But the moment of the night was Leona Lewis singing Snow Patrol's Run. Goosebumps

This weeks episode of 'The Mentalist' was outstanding I thought. The CBI were on the trail of a serial killer - The San Joaquin killer - who it turned out was a psychotic attention seeker who had inserted himself into the investigation by becoming a kind of expert media 'rent-a-quote' on the murders he himself was committing. Jane of course with his infinite insight into the human condition soon cottoned on to him, but the killer was (for once) a match for our brilliant hero and outwitted him.

I've seen quite a bit of this type of detective drama by now (to put it mildly) and I can normally predict how the story will end long before the hour is up - but this time the script didn't 'telegraph' how Jane would stop the killer, indeed the awful cold-blooded way Jane actualy dealt with him (involving his nemesis Red John) did not even dawn on me until the end credits were rolling.

In a sea of dull and formulaic TV, the shock of that sudden realization made this episode a rare treat.

Although I'm only up to series 3 with Dexter, I must say I'm still finding it to be deliciously dark entertainment - but as you say commercial pressures within the US TV industry will probably keep it in production far too long and sully the stella reputation among its devoted audience it has earned. That would be a great shame because it's truly compelling television and a unique concept for mainstream programming. .

I'm afraid to say that series 6, for me anyway, has been much weaker than the preceding seasons. Hope they rediscover the formula but I'm not counting on it. The well crafted characters (other than Dexter), recently, have all been naff and the storyline blah.

(One of my favourites,Deadwood stopped short (maybe too short IMO!). But all three seasons were collectively strong and will live in fond memory, rather than others that have started so well, but 4,5 or 6 seasons start to show their limitations.)

I’ve watched the mini series of Great Expectations, over the last few nights, I thought it was fantastic, with Ray Winstone at his menacing best playing Magwitch & David Suchet & the equally intimidating Jaggers. I’ve never seen any other screen adaptations of this & haven’t read the novel since 1983 as part of my O-Level, so it was a bit strange seeing the beautiful Gillian Anderson playing Miss Haversham, someone who I’d pictured as an old crone, but I thought she “unwound” brilliantly. I’m sure they took a few liberties with the plot as well, but still thoroughly enjoyed it. Well done the Beeb.

Finished season 6 of Dexter which for me was also disappointing. Felt like it was just going through the motions at times and I rarely felt the suspense as I did in the earlier seasons, particulary 4 which for me is still the best so far. To be honest it felt like i was watching a soap opera at times, and without giving anything away what the hell were they thinking with the answer to Debs 'true love'!? That said though the ending should make for an interesting 7th season.

Got given the first season of The Walking Dead for Christmas. I'd been meaning to download and watch it for a long time but never got around go it, so looking forward to that.

I've greatly enjoyed the old Ealing Comedies that have been broadcast this Xmas - The Ladykillers is great fun in a macabre sort of way, but the real highlight for me was The Lavender Hill Mob in all its post-war London glory - which for some inexplicable reason I haven't seen for decades.

Next Xmas I'd love to see broadcasters revive two grand old TV traditions - The much missed Xmas Eve BBC ghost story and showing really old stuff such as a Laurel & Hardy season for instance. There must be a whole generation growing up that are totally ignorant of just how wonderful early stuff could be - Buster Keaton, The Keystone Cops, Harold LLoyd, I loved it all .... dust it all off and show it again I say

Was most impressed with Sky's Treasure Island. I thought Eddie Izzard made a great Long John Silver (albeit with a couple of James Mason moments thrown in), and the story was done well with some good filming. I expected it to be aimed at kids, but it turned out to be really enjoyable TV.

Dunno if you lot still get it, we have to rely on imported dodgy DVD's & downloads of Fringe.

It was meh ish in Season 2, first half of S3 was better, the last part got better and better and S 4 really is getting better & better.

The characters are more complex, the writers must have been on LSD for some of the episodes (especially in S3 titled LSD) to have serious TV turn into cartoons and then time travelling.

Great entertainment made even better by having TWO agent Dunhams in it, one the cute but damaged blonde and the feisty oh yes that could be fun redhead.

Deffo one of those US series that needs time to get stuck into, now compulsive viewing down here