What Are You Watching..?

Robsk II

horrible bosses...

Jennifer aniston is AMAZING in this

Yeah saw it 2 nights ago mentioned it in the Films thread.

Dragged future Mrs D_P to watch it last night so twice in 2 days and the gags just get better 2nd time around

Totally did not recognise JA 1st time until the credits - so out of character and what did they do to puff her cheeks out like that? Colin Farrell was a classic cameo as well, specially the "outtake clip at the pharmacy" "I'm blowing dust mites outta my brain give me roofies" & 10 years for Video Piracy lol

I'd do her in all 50 States.

That's not a catch phrase from a movie

It is now.

Lol

A few US shows that have caught the eye:

Eastbound and Down -

Louie

Both are comedies - Eastbound and Down has elements of a good Will Ferrell film and stars Danny McBride as a burned out former Baseball star. Like a redneck version of Alan Partridge. Louie is also funny - how edgy, liberal-baiting humour should be done.

Just finished watching Homeland, like a thinking man's 24. About a former US marine who returns from Iraq and is suspected of plotting a terrorist attack against the US. Not a bad way to kill a few hours.

Edited by shurlock

A few US shows that have caught the eye:

Eastbound and Down -

Louie

Both are comedies - Eastbound and Down has elements of a good Will Ferrell film and stars Danny McBride as a burned out former Baseball star. Like a redneck version of Alan Partridge. Louie is also funny - how edgy, liberal-baiting humour should be done.

Just finished watching Homeland, like a thinking man's 24. About a former US marine who returns from Iraq and is suspected of plotting a terrorist attack against the US. Not a bad way to kill a few hours.

Blimey - now we know why you knew so much about Lee signing.

You're SDR aren't you....

stief87 Steve De Ridder

Just finished the first season of #homeland! Great show!

3 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

8)

BBC Entertainment (One of our Sat channels down here) had a brainwave this week. They changed their local Broadcast timings to match OUR time zone.

With the dramatic effect of suddenly having something OTHER than Doctors or Weakest Link on from 9pm onwards.

OK so the stuff is still 2009 Vintage but the first effort tonight

Ideal

Live at The Apollo

Little Britain (one of their best ever episodes - the trip to the Opera & another Gay in The Village)

followed by a cracking (for us) TV Movie Freefall that actually made you want to go and punch the Mortgage Salesman.

Things are picking up, (apart from the fact that Dr Who on Saturday is the Voyage of The Damned where Doc falls for Kylie)

As a Conan Doyle fan I feel like I should really like the BBC's Sunday night drama 'Sherlock' - but I just can't get into it for some reason.

Benedict Cumberbatch (as Holmes) is an inspired piece of casting, so perhaps this versions failure (as I see it) is down to a scriptwriter who is perhaps not quite as brilliant as his reputation suggests. I might also add that the annoying (over)use of on-screen graphics and the obsession with contemporary gadgetry also irks this viewer somewhat. But maybe the real problem is more fundamental, as well written as they undoubtedly are, these are in truth hastily written short stories intended for immediate consumption, they are not 'high art' (like Shakespeare for instance) that can be easily adapted to any time period.

To me they really need to be put firmly back in their original pre forensic science, handsome cab, and 'Bradshaw' world to make much sense as compelling stories. And there's always the ghost of Jeremy Brett hanging over any attempt at Holmes of course ..... God bless him.

Still about a million times better than Guy Ritchie's dismal movie versions - all copy's of which should be burnt.

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

I've seen loads of stuff recently, but perhaps the one I want to highlight is The Boys From Brazil. Always fancied watching this and never quite got around to it. Some very good performances (Olivier, Peck), and a story which is both a bit ridiculous and a bit prescient. Well recommended if you have never seen it.

As a Conan Doyle fan I feel like I should really like the BBC's Sunday night drama 'Sherlock' - but I just can't get into it for some reason.

Still about a million times better than Guy Ritchie's dismal movie versions - all copy's of which should be burnt.

Agreed and agreed. There is nothing clever nor funny about an American playing Sherlock Holmes. It does NOT work and it is not an adaptation of the character that I like.

Benedict Cumberbatch (as Holmes) is an inspired piece of casting, so perhaps this versions failure (as I see it) is down to a scriptwriter who is perhaps not quite as brilliant as his reputation suggests. I might also add that the annoying (over)use of on-screen graphics and the obsession with contemporary gadgetry also irks this viewer somewhat. But maybe the real problem is more fundamental, as well written as they undoubtedly are, these are in truth hastily written short stories intended for immediate consumption, they are not 'high art' (like Shakespeare for instance) that can be easily adapted to any time period.

To me they really need to be put firmly back in their original pre forensic science, handsome cab, and 'Bradshaw' world to make much sense as compelling stories. And there's always the ghost of Jeremy Brett hanging over any attempt at Holmes of course ..... God bless him.

I've got no problem with Moffat's Sherlock series. The contemporary setting almost puts it in a different universe for me, nicely compartmentalised from my treasured memories of the original tales.

Guy Ritchie's Sherlock films are crap. RDJ's accent seems to hit the right tone, but doesn't flow in the same way as a native would. Plus they relegate Holmes to an action hero, which is not really what he is famous for.

I am filling in some of the gaps on my 80s movies. It's always a dangerous thing to do. Some stuff holds up remarkably well, while other films are utterly obsolete relics of their time.

The movie I am watching at the moment falls into the latter category and then some.

(drum roll)

Red Dawn.

The movie focuses on a group of teenagers/young adults in the aftermath of a joint Soviet/Cuban invasion. It's almost one of the most overt pieces of propaganda I've ever seen. Communism is simply equated with evil. The very first action of the pinkos is to open fire on a high school. At various points throughout the movie, you also get to see wholesome US citizens mowed down by machine gun fire.

Extremely interesting as a historical curio, but almost no value as a movie.

I recored an old 'Columbo' episode at the weekend and I was almost surprised to be reminded of just how wonderful a series it was in its prime. As a detective drama there's so much wrong with it I suppose; it's formulaic to a fault, Columbo 'gets his man' with remorseless regularity every episode, and the so called evidence he unearths to prove his case would I reckon (very often) never stand up in a real court of law without a convenient confession attached - but frankly I just don't give a damn.

Peter Falk is of course superb as Columbo, but a large part of the shows appeal is that he always manages to attract a stellar cast of the most celebrated actors of the age to guest star for him. The episode I saw (Identity Crisis) had both Leslie Nielson and Patrick McGoohan in it - how fantastic is that - and I can recall Johnny Cash, Ray Milland, Roddy McDowell, Donald Pleasance, Robert Culp and half a hundred other great names who featured in this long running series.

For me, nearly as entertaining as the oh-so clever scripts and wonderful acting is seeing 1970's cars (the cars I grow up with) back in their prime - in this case the villainous McGoohan swanning around in a gorgeous met green Citroen SM 'Maserati'. A motor I'd be tempted to commit a fiendish Columbo style murder to get my hands on.

Great nostalgia television form what is arguably its golden age.

About to get started on Homeland (HBO), House of Lies (Showtine) and already watched first half of pilot of Alcatraz (by the makers of Lost...even has big Hurley as one of the central characters!)

Also watching Downton Abbey on PBS. ITV cheese factor aside, the production values and ensemble cast are top notch.

I recored an old 'Columbo' episode at the weekend and I was almost surprised to be reminded of just how wonderful a series it was in its prime. As a detective drama there's so much wrong with it I suppose; it's formulaic to a fault, Columbo 'gets his man' with remorseless regularity every episode, and the so called evidence he unearths to prove his case would I reckon (very often) never stand up in a real court of law without a convenient confession attached - but frankly I just don't give a damn.

Peter Falk is of course superb as Columbo, but a large part of the shows appeal is that he always manages to attract a stellar cast of the most celebrated actors of the age to guest star for him. The episode I saw (Identity Crisis) had both Leslie Nielson and Patrick McGoohan in it - how fantastic is that - and I can recall Johnny Cash, Ray Milland, Roddy McDowell, Donald Pleasance, Robert Culp and half a hundred other great names who featured in this long running series.

For me, nearly as entertaining as the oh-so clever scripts and wonderful acting is seeing 1970's cars (the cars I grow up with) back in their prime - in this case the villainous McGoohan swanning around in a gorgeous met green Citroen SM 'Maserati'. A motor I'd be tempted to commit a fiendish Columbo style murder to get my hands on.

Great nostalgia television form what is arguably its golden age.

Columbo is charming, but you're right - it's formulaic. Every episode, Colombo essentially badgers someone into a confession. He's the proto-stalker.

• 2 weeks later...
Moneyball.

Found a link to see it online, muchos good so far.

Great film and relevant to us "Sports Fans"

Meanwhile I watched this by accident

Have to say given she had 7 mins to set the stage up from scratch and take it down again was a helluva comeback

Stunning even with her tripping over & MIA flicking the bird!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PyfdoZldrS4

Busy day was tired, channel hopped nothing on. Checked out "Catch Up TV service" and found nothing apart from a Cartoon which had been advertsid on Pay Per View a month or so back.

I'm really not into "Animations" but we stuck it on.

The Legend of The Guardians -The Owls of Ga'Hoole... (Hell even the name had put me off)

Wow, they really have come a long way.

What astonishing Animation detail. I mean just stunning visually, may sound daft to talk about Feathers rustling but every individual one.

Storyline is Kiddie Hero against all odds stuff, Good v Evil and no doubt the books are popular but have to say if I was judging the film as a story it would be a 5 or 6 out of 10 (and that only for Originality) I'd critique the Home Tree from Avatar co-incidence, but as an Entertaining movie that drew us in and some of the big detail scenes were ssimply awesome visually.

Really glad I watched it, some techie geeks must have spent months programming that stuff at Animal Logic.

For impact (on us & probably on Film Animation) going forwards - 9/10

For story and adding value to life/drama 2/10

Wonderful film and makes all those Toy Story/Despicable Me/Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs type Animations seem utterly out of date.

You could amost believe they were real Owls acting...

(And I'm sober!)

Falling Skies

Couple of episodes in shows some promise.

BUT

What is it these days with US series? - is there some template that there MUST be family side plots? Terra Nova became rubbish real quick as a result of dumb kids and FS seems to suffer from the same story concept so far.

I mean the Canvas is Broad enough as it is with a story line but why make it 60% the kids centric?

Falling Skies

Couple of episodes in shows some promise.

BUT

What is it these days with US series? - is there some template that there MUST be family side plots? Terra Nova became rubbish real quick as a result of dumb kids and FS seems to suffer from the same story concept so far.

I mean the Canvas is Broad enough as it is with a story line but why make it 60% the kids centric?

I watched a couple of episodes of this. Keep meaning to pick it back up, but it sort of takes a sledgehammer approach to foreshadowing. Do you have any notions about where the mechs might come from?

I've been watching David Hasselhoff's Celebrity Roast. The format of the show is this. One celebrity is roasted by numerous other celebrities, who each do a five minute skit. This one is nostalgia gold. David Hasselhoff is the roastee, while the likes of Pamela Anderson, Hulk Hogan, Jerry Springer, George Hamilton and a few people that probably only Americans will know make up the numbers.

The host is Seth McFarlane, creator of Family Guy. The skits are variable, but generally, it's brutal and very very funny. On Netflix.

I see this show on tv called New Girl.

It's about one of those annoying pretentious girls you get who mega try hard to be all kooky and weird and "individual" despite wearing identical thrift store outfits. The kind of turd who sings their sentences and does stupid little dances all the time. The show is true to life in that the girl is hot - this personality disorder doesn't happen to ugly girls as they are soon advised in no uncertain terms that their behaviour is unnacceptable, not endearing and in fact really really really fracking annoying.

In the show she's living with three dudes. That's plausible enough cos these skanks rarely have girlfriends. To her face they pretend that her behaviour is at best cute and at worst mildly embarrassing. They do this because they want to bone her. What's missing from the show is that behind her back they should all be ripping the p!ss out of her and saying what a really annoying fracking b!tch she is! This would make the show more satisfying for the viewer who's thinking the same thing.

I've been watching David Hasselhoff's Celebrity Roast. The format of the show is this. One celebrity is roasted by numerous other celebrities, who each do a five minute skit. This one is nostalgia gold. David Hasselhoff is the roastee, while the likes of Pamela Anderson, Hulk Hogan, Jerry Springer, George Hamilton and a few people that probably only Americans will know make up the numbers.

The host is Seth McFarlane, creator of Family Guy. The skits are variable, but generally, it's brutal and very very funny. On Netflix.

They did a good one of your avatar a while back.

They did a good one of your avatar a while back.

Does he need it? :D

Shatner has done a fine job of sending himself up over the years. I will say this for him, though. His musical career is considerably more impressive than Leonard Nimoy's.

Ta for the tip, though - I shall seek it out.

Homeland is on tv tonight b!tches! Ive already seen it and I'm pretty sure I reviewed it on here somewhere but I can't find it so I thought I'd give you a couple of teasers to highlight key moments and encourage peeps to toon in:

1) In one bit Claire Danes who plays a CIA agent is so busy and important she doesn't have time to shower before a meeting so she just grabs a facecloth and wipes off her vag with it! Sweet!

2) In other bit the wife of the soldier who'd been missing for 7 years is desparate for a boning (she'd been doing all his mates while he was 'away') so she gets her tits out to entice him (really nice tits!) but what he does is just w@nk off and wipe it on her face! Sweet!

It's a sweet show!

I see this show on tv called New Girl.

It's about one of those annoying pretentious girls you get who mega try hard to be all kooky and weird and "individual" despite wearing identical thrift store outfits. The kind of turd who sings their sentences and does stupid little dances all the time. The show is true to life in that the girl is hot - this personality disorder doesn't happen to ugly girls as they are soon advised in no uncertain terms that their behaviour is unnacceptable, not endearing and in fact really really really fracking annoying.

In the show she's living with three dudes. That's plausible enough cos these skanks rarely have girlfriends. To her face they pretend that her behaviour is at best cute and at worst mildly embarrassing. They do this because they want to bone her. What's missing from the show is that behind her back they should all be ripping the p!ss out of her and saying what a really annoying fracking b!tch she is! This would make the show more satisfying for the viewer who's thinking the same thing.

You'll not talk about my Zooooey like that and get away with it, sir!!

I watched a couple of episodes of this. Keep meaning to pick it back up, but it sort of takes a sledgehammer approach to foreshadowing. Do you have any notions about where the mechs might come from?

OK we got through to Season 1 finale tonight.

The series still has "issues" of trying too hard to bring in human interest stuff when they should just be trying to survive.

But, give them their due it does keep going well, has some good (if obvious) twists and turns and does manage some scary and even sinister moments (the harnessed kids in the Hospital for one).

The build up to the season finale is again good if a little predicatable, but the last few moments go into NOOOOOOOOOOO don't leave us HERE mode.

In answer to your question about the Mechs. You have to get to the last 2 episodes to start to see more of the picture - sorry - no spoilers here but in answer to your question - you learn a lot more but still no idea where & why and for what.

The sinister part is you learn quite early on that the Skitters "LOVE" the children...

They really have set it up very well for a second Season (which they have confirmed) they need to go away from little trips into the woods on motorbikes and start to see a bigger picture IMHO.

Sarah Carter was a big improvement to the show (in a oh yes please way)

But I agree with this last paragraph of a review

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/falling-skies-tv-review-196959

But the entertainment value and suspense of Falling Skies is paced just right. You get the sense that we’ll get those answers eventually. And yet, you want to devour the next episode immediately. You know, like a raptorsaurus.

I have to agree with that. I wanted Terra Nova to be as good as it could have been but it was destroyed by "the Kids". Falling Skies treats it differently, makes the characters stronger and eventually you actually start to care about them, and cleverly makes sure that unlike many series, some friends are lost along the way.

Possibly as tense (and unusual) season finale final 5 minutes as I have seen TBH. It isn't the usual simple knife edge, it hangs everything you have learnt so far on it.

Looking forward to the summer & S2

I've just seen the Danish series 'Those Who Kill' broadcast Thursday night by ITV3, and as a newfound devotee of the oh so fashionable 'Scandinavian Noir' school of crime fiction I must say that although the pilot episode may well have lacked a certain something in originality, I still found it quite gripping - indeed two hours of subtitled television just flew by leaving me eager for more.

The basic premise is that a damaged, but rebellious, young female detective tracts down murderers with the assistance of a (brilliant) criminal profiler, not one long investigation this time but separate cases. Yes I know we've all seen similar US and British crime programmes before, but this series is well plotted and very pacy - if you like this kind of thing you may well find it worth your time giving it a go if I may be so bold as to suggest.

Friday Night Lights has started on SKY Atlantic, its about a small town high school football team and the first two episodes have been great, indeed a review in the Sunday Times last week reckons its already better than the Sopranos and might be better than the Wire!! Weeds is stlll great although its lost a little of the suspense, Hung was great and can't wait for the new series and ditto Game of Thrones which restarts in March or April. British TV is still pretty dire.

Friday Night Lights has started on SKY Atlantic, its about a small town high school football team and the first two episodes have been great, indeed a review in the Sunday Times last week reckons its already better than the Sopranos and might be better than the Wire!! Weeds is stlll great although its lost a little of the suspense, Hung was great and can't wait for the new series and ditto Game of Thrones which restarts in March or April. British TV is still pretty dire.

Friday Night Live is excellent. Currently doing catch up on Sky Box with American Horror Story which is superb as well.

"British TV is still pretty dire" ? 100% Dire in fact. Name me one good non-documentry British drama or comedy ?

I spent ages trying to convince Ms pap to watch Wrath of Khan. She's on a proper Trek tip now. Started rewatching TNG. First season is a bit hit and miss, but I'm actually very impressed with how well it holds up. They did a great job on the sets, so it's only the occasional space special effect that looks a bit dodge. Incidentally, this is the show that really turned me into a geek. Used to be on in my mate's house on BBC2 back in the day. Saw "Best of Both Worlds" ( the one where Picard gets turned into a Borg ). Was rather exciting.

"When's the next one on?"

"Next year"

"Mwah!"

First ever cliff-hanger, and it worked, the b*stards!

Sometimes. I'm the luckiest guy alive living in this crazy town and away from Blighty.

But then there are days like today when I realise how unlucky I am and how incredibly fortunate you lot are.

yep I was able to buy Sherlock S1 & S2 on my last trip.

How astonishingly good is that, and I had to wait AGES to see it.

Damn you lucky buggers.

Walking Dead is back on which is enjoyable, although getting a little too melodramatic. I want more zombie chases. The climax at the midway point in this season was classic though - with the barn.

I have a stack of Homeland episodes waiting to be watched.

Looking forward to Sherlock that starts soon. Being Human started back up here and is not as good as past seasons...they just killed most of the original cast off.

I don't care much for Ricky Gervais anymore, although Idiot Abroad is still watchable. Life's too Short on HBO is so/so, but nothing fresh.

I spent ages trying to convince Ms pap to watch Wrath of Khan. She's on a proper Trek tip now. Started rewatching TNG. First season is a bit hit and miss, but I'm actually very impressed with how well it holds up. They did a great job on the sets, so it's only the occasional space special effect that looks a bit dodge. Incidentally, this is the show that really turned me into a geek. Used to be on in my mate's house on BBC2 back in the day. Saw "Best of Both Worlds" ( the one where Picard gets turned into a Borg ). Was rather exciting.

"When's the next one on?"

"Next year"

"Mwah!"

First ever cliff-hanger, and it worked, the b*stards!

Strange. The impression I got when it was recently repeated on yet another Sky channel (CBS Action, I think) was just how badly dated the earlier episodes look now.

However, one of my more geeky friends posted this on FB recently and I must say it looks intriguing...

http://hothardware.com/News/Remastered-Star-Trek-The-Next-Generation-Bluray-A-Huge-Leap-Forward/

Strange. The impression I got when it was recently repeated on yet another Sky channel (CBS Action, I think) was just how badly dated the earlier episodes look now.

However, one of my more geeky friends posted this on FB recently and I must say it looks intriguing...

http://hothardware.com/News/Remastered-Star-Trek-The-Next-Generation-Bluray-A-Huge-Leap-Forward/

A lot of the transient stuff ( alien of the week, etc ) does look pretty dated - but the set of the Enterprise looks excellent from the first episode onward.

Haven't seen any of the HD remasters they've done ( 4 episodes so far ) but I'll probably be on board for the lot if they do it.