What Are You Watching..?

Robsk II

This is way OT, but I've been reading the Walking Dead comics.

It's made me love the TV show more, and it's not because the comics are crap. They're actually better than the show....

...BUT...

who wants to read a comic on-screen? Game of Thrones is a superb show, but essentially, it follows the books quite closely. Significantly more change in S2, I grant you; but the changes make sense for the intended format.

Walking Dead (TV) takes that all a step further. It does more than merge a few characters and plotlines. It actually kills a lot of them off stone dead. Now, a book-to-TV purist might moan that they've strayed too far from the source material. I'd agree with that, but I'm not complaining. Thematically, it's the same show. Hell, most events in the comics turn up in the TV show. They just happen to different characters or at different times. In terms of overall theme, TV and comic are indistinguishable. In terms of specifics, they vary greatly. As a fan of both mediums, this is good to see.

The third, and final, series of Denmark's most successful export since Lego - 'The Killing' - made a most welcome appearance last weekend (BBC4 Saturday) and needless to say I'm already hooked. Now if you really wanted to be critical I suppose you could say that this mixture of crime, psychopathy and political intrigue does conform to a set series formula, but when TV is made quite this well then I'm prepared to overlook a certain lack of originality.

The crew of a cargo ship have been found brutally murdered, and when the world-weary Sarah Lund finally gets round to investigating the case properly she soon finds evidence that the young daughter of the wealthy and powerful businessman who owns the ship may well be the killers next target .....

Never seen it.

But a heads up for those of you who have been watching it.

Met a very nice older lady in an Elevator in Budapest last Friday.... (No not that Bearsy trust me there were much better 24 something Blonde Swedes & Russians hanging around).

Anyway she had in her hand a shooting plan for Borgias III.

So whatever the hell they are doing, a 3rd series is being filmed at the moment.

She only spoke German BTW & it was a LONG time since I scraped my O Level but I think I managed to say "Machen Sie noch eine Series" and she said "Ja aber est ist sehr Kalt"

I took that as a moment to run back to the Swede in the bar

(yeah working on Rule 1 from the event pics on FB)

Apparently they're going to be introducing a "much loved" character from the comics into the TV show soon. Whispers say it's going to be Tyreese. I'd like that, although it would mess up his storyline a bit.

Tyreese. Impressed with this casting too.

http://www.examiner.com/article/walking-dead-news-chad-coleman-cast-as-tyreese-another-character-to-return

One more episode of Boardwalk Empire before season three wraps up. The season finale is going to be epic judging by the penultimate episode I've just finished watching. ****ing love this show!

I watched a load of season one and lapsed for some reason. What I saw was quality though; definitely on my to-watch list.

On a completely different note, I took a look at Arrow tonight. I have to admit - it didn't really interest me. A CW show based on a DC character? After watching Smallville take ten years to accomplish what Superman: The Movie did within 90 minutes, was fully prepared to abandon it immediately if it wasn't much cop. Just through the pilot episode, and am impressed enough to continue. Forget doey eyed teenagers and twenty-somethings staring at each without ever getting it on, this is more kinetic revenge fantasy. You see Arrow doing his thing in the very first episode; they weave the origin story in through flashback.

So far, so good. Not the Wire obviously, but certainly well above expectations.

Not long left on homeland season 2

The sub plot of carrie and Brodie and her love for him is really annoying. The story is good but that just irritates me really

I keep watching despite a lot of plot holes in the second season. Episode 9 is very good though.

The sub plot of carrie and Brodie and her love for him is really annoying. The story is good but that just irritates me really

Starting to get the feeling that this is going to be yet another series that never reaches a climax, like Lost, Heroes etc etc and will just meander along until ratings fall away..

How bout the dumb daughter having guilty conscience. I really give a fvvck about that.

I keep watching despite a lot of plot holes in the second season. Episode 9 is very good though.

Spotted a few continuity errors.

A couple of episodes ago the daughter was walking into college with her boyfriend and the camera was alternating between front and rear views. When the scene was shot from the front, the weather was bright and sunny but, when seen from behind, it was dull and cloudy.

Spotted a few continuity errors.

A couple of episodes ago the daughter was walking into college with her boyfriend and the camera was alternating between front and rear views. When the scene was shot from the front, the weather was bright and sunny but, when seen from behind, it was dull and cloudy.

I think it was about episode 2 where they are in Beirut and Carrie goes to take out her contact lenses with dyed dark hair, then when she returns from the bathroom she's fully blonde!

Two of my favourite shows are currently on hiatus, so I've been catching up with Dexter. Last year, the writers put most of their energy into one big idea and the series suffered as a consequence. It did end rather promisingly with a game-changing plot development, so I have been keen to see how they pick up the pieces.

This year, the series seems to have returned to familiar ground; a little change up of loads of stuff that has worked well in the past as well as a lot of setup for the 8th and final season. I've enjoyed it quite a bit and some may argue that 8 seasons is already pushing it. As a long time fan of the show, I'm enjoying the relative calm before the storm.

Got to admire your commitment pap, I tapped out of dexter season 2. I've been tapping out a lot of stuff lately! I tapped out of Arrow cos tho it ain't as bad as you'd expect it's still pretty dumb. I've tapped out of Revenge cos it's stupid. I'm thinking of tapping out of Homelands too.

Got to admire your commitment pap, I tapped out of dexter season 2. I've been tapping out a lot of stuff lately! I tapped out of Arrow cos tho it ain't as bad as you'd expect it's still pretty dumb. I've tapped out of Revenge cos it's stupid. I'm thinking of tapping out of Homelands too.

S4 is probably the best one.

I haven't gone back to Arrow since I realised that it's basically Batman without the rights to Batman.

Ms pap has strongly urged me to watch Revenge. Gave it a few goes. Not really my thing.

Yeah, I dropped out off Dexter at season 2. It was all about her dumb sister. She didn't even get raped FFS but was acting like she did. Get off the running machine skinny *****, you already look like a man.

Yeah, I dropped out off Dexter at season 2. It was all about her dumb sister. She didn't even get raped FFS but was acting like she did. Get off the running machine skinny *****, you already look like a man.

See, I happen to like the sister. I also think Julie Benz is pretty amazing.

Homeland season finale just finished with a bang.

It's still decent and fresh and I enjoyed this season a lot. As others have mentioned, it will run, and possibly run for god knows how long. I hope it doesn't over extend itself. Speaking of which, about to sit down to the season finale of Dexter.

Homeland season finale just finished with a bang.

It's still decent and fresh and I enjoyed this season a lot. As others have mentioned, it will run, and possibly run for god knows how long. I hope it doesn't over extend itself. Speaking of which, about to sit down to the season finale of Dexter.

just downloaded and watched it.. (we are a week behind in the UK)

talk about a bang...LOL...excellent episode

Not bad was it! Lots of questions to be answered next season.

Dexter also finished with a few bangs as well.

Time to get fully caught up with Breaking Bad now. Just into season three.

I have to make a full and frank apology to Bearsy. I have now seen all of him and her and believe it may be one of the best programmes ever. I was caught up in emotion when he slated peep show (still a great show) and said it is superior to him and her. I was wrong.

Season 2 ep 5 of him and her is one of the best scripts ever.

"where have you been hiding him? He's lovely"

"oh I haven't been hiding him, he's been in prison"

"what?!?"

"yeah, he's a sex criminal....got out yesterday....oh but don't worry, he's on the register"

Jess Brody gets my Parent Of The Year award for (spoilersss) being like "No kids, you have to watch this TV broadcast of your dad confessing to doing a terrorist murder of 200 innocent people"

I have to make a full and frank apology to Bearsy. I have now seen all of him and her and believe it may be one of the best programmes ever. I was caught up in emotion when he slated peep show (still a great show) and said it is superior to him and her. I was wrong.

Season 2 ep 5 of him and her is one of the best scripts ever.

"where have you been hiding him? He's lovely"

"oh I haven't been hiding him, he's been in prison"

"what?!?"

"yeah, he's a sex criminal....got out yesterday....oh but don't worry, he's on the register"

Dunno if you're being sarcastic or whatever but the first 2 series is probs my favourite british TV in last 5 years! I love the relationship between Steve and Becky it seems realistic to me in a way you don't ever see on tv. This new series 3 ain't so lols tho, I've been a little bit bummed bout it.

I also love Dan! Everytime he comes on and starts routing through their stuff I start lolling. It's the way he stands or whatever.

The dude who plays Steve is Genuine Gay btw. Does this surprise you? It surprised me! Good acting!

I'm giving up with Homeland with rumours of it lasting for up to 7 seasons. The first season was brilliant, great TV, the second season has been an insult to my intelligence. The plot holes have become too ridiculous for me to bother when it next drags on.

Dunno if you're being sarcastic or whatever but the first 2 series is probs my favourite british TV in last 5 years! I love the relationship between Steve and Becky it seems realistic to me in a way you don't ever see on tv. This new series 3 ain't so lols tho, I've been a little bit bummed bout it.

I also love Dan! Everytime he comes on and starts routing through their stuff I start lolling. It's the way he stands or whatever.

The dude who plays Steve is Genuine Gay btw. Does this surprise you? It surprised me! Good acting!

Maye it's caused I watched them altogether but I really liked the third series. The first date episode was so good, "what's your favorite museum?"

Dan is pretty good but the most Lols is from the sister. She is like so many women that are really out there. I'm loving it bear, I even watched the making of it videos on their site. I think the two main actors must be boning as they have the same chemistry off screan as on it. Or maybe they are not boning but want to so that is why they have the chemistry.

Yeah that Laura is an absolute c*nt! Hilarious tho!

I only requested one Christmas present this year, I want the big portrait photo of Paul and Laura reading book so I can hang it on my wall. That fat c*nt santa better pull through on this!

Steve is Gay FFS!

Oh, sorry dude, when you said Steve I thought you meant I. Didn't read it properly.

No, seriously this iphone lark (read previous sad laptop news) is no fun, makes my writing and spelling even worser (;0) than usual. Also, I am currently arguing with an angry lawyer who keeps changing the subject to suit him. I am not good with names though, I thought you meant Dan (sisters boyfriend) was actually gay in real life as well as in the show.

Btw - how are your pilates coming on? Still going to the 'class' 4 time a week?

I'm giving up with Homeland with rumours of it lasting for up to 7 seasons. The first season was brilliant, great TV, the second season has been an insult to my intelligence. The plot holes have become too ridiculous for me to bother when it next drags on.

I'm with you on this. I just watched the season finale lastnight and thought it was a very good episode. But I really can't see where it's going to go next season, and you're right about the plot holes as well. Far too much stuff just glossed over to make it even slightly believable. I doubt I will be bothering with the 3rd series.

Are they going to make a fourth series of Him & Her? They should do, plenty of mileage left in it I reckon. Build-up to the wedding(s) etc

Random trivia - the actress that plays Laura (def the best character in the show, she sums everything bad about birds) is the younger sister of Russell Howard

Also - Christmas special is on tonight apparently!

With so much Xmas related slop on our screens at this time of year I hope you lot didn't miss something that was really worth watching yesterday - The Story of a Fairytale of New York (BB2 Midnight). Now I suppose you're all familiar with this song and many of you (like me) may regard it as your favorite Xmas music, with its oh so bitter-sweet message of love and disillusionment. This programme spends a whole hour exploring the back story of how this perfect little musical gem came into existence.

Now you can't talk about the song without starting with its male vocalist and co-writer, the legendary Pogues front man Shane MacGowen. Never a handsome (or indeed sober) man, a lifetime of substance abuse has reduced him now to a zombie like state that's quite enough to frighten small children and cause even strong men to flinch. It's a minor miracle he's still alive if you ask me. But who cares, because as a songwriter MacGowen has a kind of beautifully poetic, yet raw/savage quality that is rare if not unique. Apparently it took him years to get this song to its finished state - this is hardly surprising given his chaotic lifestyle - but surely the results of his labour were well worth the wait.

As a duet the song obviously requires a female singer. The original choice (Cait O'Riordan) left the band so, by chance almost, Pogues producer (Steve Lillywhite) suggested his wife for the job. Thus the unlikely partnership of Shane McGowen and the lovely Kristy MacColl (a talented singer/songwriter in her own right) came about, and a little piece of musical history was made.

Most surprising of all is that McGowen and MacColl recorded this technically complex song in entirely separate locations and it only came together on Steve Lillywhite's mixing desk - as prime a example of the music producers art as you'll ever see.

PS, there is no NYPD Choir!

:facepalm:

You guys have NO idea how lucky you are living in the Real World.

So, last night I notice my OSN Player (Think Sky+) had recorded Episode 1 of Strike Back in HD. Oh cool thinks I, people said it was at worst OK and others said it was a good show. So I sit myself down with an OSH and put the feet up.

Yep Cracking stuff, though I thought the Character Development was kinda missing. And the whole background support staff all seemed a bit "just existing".

Anyway, I thought, cool, I think I got the series on a dodgy DVD on one of my Bangkok Trips I'll dig out Episode 2 as it was still early

And find some bloke in a House in Iraq......... WTF??

Ah Bless our Muppet TV Channel decided to simply start showing Season 2. Nope, never bothered with S1 just dump S2 onto the plebs....

I mean FFS, they pulled the same sh1t with Downton Abbey. Whack - straight into S2, so we have to fart around and download the damned stuff.

You guys have NO idea what it is like to have the Quality of Customer Service and awareness that Sky give you (no REALLY, don't get me started on the local support structures)

Anyway Rant over.

Now playing S1 catch up so can see S2 in HD from next week.

Looks like decent Telly for once

(Oh and NO sign of Homeland S2 down here. Why?)

Edited by dubai_phil

Phil.

The chances of you receiving all that much sympathy for your horrific Arabic TV nightmare would be improved if we didn't all know that you are certainly getting mega bucks for working out there in the first place!

Look on the bright side - at least you don't have to put up with minimum wage and 5 inches of bloody rainfall every day :scared:

Phil.

The chances of you receiving all that much sympathy for your horrific Arabic TV nightmare would be improved if we didn't all know that you are certainly getting mega bucks for working out there in the first place!

Look on the bright side - at least you don't have to put up with minimum wage and 5 inches of bloody rainfall every day :scared:

Yeah that's true. If only we didn't have to pay 8 quid for a pint or 400 quid a month for Electric & Water you'd have a fair point ;)

So, just for that here's our favourite Christmas Song. Kinda sums up what we'll do tomorrow.

The classic from Chris Rea......

[video=youtube;jQTVpem9-hI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jQTVpem9-hI

:twisted:

A question regarding the finale of Homeland :

If your car was packed with enough explosive to do that damage, do you think you would notice it was a teensy bit heavier than usual ?

Yeah and if Carrie is 'missing presumed dead' it seems a bit odd that no one noticed her car was missing from the car park.