What Are You Watching..?

Robsk II

Whenever we watch it we have it in German with subtitles. For some reason it just seems right to watch it that way, it's the same with Downfall.

The only way to watch any foreign film, imo. You're robbing yourself of a big part of the performance by going dubbed, and the alien nature of foreign films that makes them so cool in the first place.

I have been watching the US version of House of Cards, the Netflix exclusive. I've recently watched the UK version, so was a little intrigued by the show for curiosity value, if only to see how badly they've messed it up. In all truth, I think they've done a very good job.

It's undergone a number of changes in translation. Francis Urquhart, the Conservative chief whip, becomes Frank Underwood, the Democrats whip in the house who carries himself as a softly spoken Southern gent. They've expanded the series to include a number of sub-plots, some of which work better than the others.

The pervs among you will be pleased to know that the US version is a lot easier on the eye ( the cokeheads missus is amazing ), but assessing the show on higher merits, there's a lot to like - and quite a lot of room for this to justifiably be a separate thing from its UK source material. Very impressed so far.

Still watching, the lost room, and have one episode left. It is a bit like a computer game.

Also watching desperate housewifes with the wife from season 1.

Also our first Saturday of the month 'fish & Chip night with the kids, we are all sitting down together and watching Harry potter right from the beginning.

I'm watching this one show called Girls. If i was to explain it to you it would sound terrible, but is actually pretty good. Has boobs.

When I went home to visit the folks a few months ago my Mum was watching an episode of Girls. I watched a bit with her and unfortunately it was a bit R-rated for parental viewing.

It is quite dirty show! In the episode i was just watching dude is hitting on this girl and she's saying no cos she has boyfriend and then what he does is step into her space and says "when we first fvvck you'll be scared because I'm a man and I know how to do things." And she makes a shocked face and then she rushes off to the toilets and backs herself against the wall and starts frigging herself off madly! This explains a lot to me cos quite often I'm hitting on birds and finding they suddenly disappear! It hadn't occurred to me before they is all in the toilets frigging themselves off!

nah you have to spend a few minutes admiring the acting or whatever first. If i remember rightly fat bird gets bummed early doors tho. I should say one of fat birds, cos they is all mostly a bit fat. It's kind of the point of the show!

Witness the maiin fat birds boyfriend, he is my new hero! He is taking treat em mean to whole new level! It is good cos they have counterpoint of this other dude who is treating his bird nice and you see how much she hates him for it, whereas mean dude has got his bird desperate to get bummed.

Yeah they love it cos it shows people acting like fat girls is desirable!

I'm being mean, i watched with bird and she is genuine loving it! It is actually a show for girls like Sex In City, except it is more cool and less annoying. I know that sounds terrible but trust me is Quite Good Show.

yer. Looks terrible don't it? I wouldn't of watched if I'd seen that poster first.

It has HBO on it. That normally means swearing and sex at least.

I should perhaps qualify my opinion. When a TV programme carries warnings of graphic sex, violence and adult language, I normally say "Excellent!".

HBO is not a good TV channel to watch if you live in a shared house, though.

Authorities not going to be after me, downloading from work. Also, they've got bigger fish to fry, searching for Jaybob and stuff.

Didn't ask for links bear, asked for more info, wanted to know if it was on normal TV or netflicks or something. Streaming is for gays gives you computer aids. It is bad enough on match days, I'm closing party poker windows for hours.

Stuff I like:

Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe - delightfully acerbic in-your-face television - not one for the easily offended

The Wonders of Life - brilliant TV and a free holiday courtesy of the BBC for Professor Brain Cox - proper job!

Chivalry and Betrayal: The Hundred Year War - a smashing medieval history series, although Dr Janina Ramirez's sizable backside is becoming rather off putting

Some stuff I'm not so keen on:

Ripper Street - the period interests me greatly, but this mediocre series just doesn't

The Gadget Show - that bald bloke needs a good slap, now where's the 'off' button?

New Tricks - the same old sh1t

Still watching, the lost room, and have one episode left. It is a bit like a computer game.

Also watching desperate housewifes with the wife from season 1.

Also our first Saturday of the month 'fish & Chip night with the kids, we are all sitting down together and watching Harry potter right from the beginning.

I watched The Lost Room. To my knowledge, Kevin Pollak has now played two characters with a look of heterochromia , yet does not have the condition himself.

Finally caught up with the first 5 episodes of S2 of Once Upon a Time this weekend.

We really enjoy this.

Perhaps it's because we'd REALLY love to know what type of sh1t they smoke when they sit down and plan their story lines.

OK, so episode 5, we've got The Evil Queen who wants to not be evil, her really doubly evil Mother, King Midas, Sir Lancelot, Snow White, Rumplestiltskin, The Mad Hatter, and Dr Frankenstein.

OK so what about episode 6? OK yeah, I'm feeling this, Mulan, Sleeping Beauty, Captain Hook, a Beanstalk and a Giant? Hmm not sure that's random enough, yeah, that works, Robert Carlysle as a Gaurdian Angel armed with a typewriter and some twist in the tale regarding a Rolex watch. Brilliant, pass de dutchy from de left hand side dude.

The Walking Dead is back, people. I am chuffed that this is so. I am also pleased that they are going balls out with a certain character being at home to Mr Fruitcake (grief and nut, flavour aficionados).

Just finished watching this week's episode. The show used to be accused of being slow. Never minded that, and it still has its quieter moments, but the show runners have got supremely adept at putting a TV show together on a tight budget. Yes, they save money on sets, and I'm sure that as usual, 99% of zombie action will take place at the prison, the town or "random bit of forest B".

Seeing it all in motion is superb.

BANSHEEE!!! is the most sex and violence show on tv! I'm gonna promote it till everyone watches it. Here is some infos bout the main characters in BANSHEEE!!! with poss spoilers.

The Dude he's been in prison for 15 years for doing a diamond robbery and then he gets out and immediately becomes sheriff of town of BANSHEEE!!!

Big Nose is the bird that the Dude loves she done the robbery with him and got away with the diamonds. The dude has mostly gone to BANSHEEE!!! to get his diamonds back but when she offers to give them back he's like "you can't buy me off like that!". We first meet her getting licked out by her new boyfriend. She also nearly gets raped one time.

Big Nose's Daughter is sometimes 12 and sometimes 15. She's definitely the Dude's daughter but we don't officially know that yet. She's often getting felt up by older dudes but this ain't pedo cos the actress is prob 28 or something.

The Mermens there is lot of mermens in this show, the best one is the Head Mermens Daughter cos she is the hottest girl on tv and the Dude fvvcks her loads and she has really good boobs and arse

The Giant Gay Albino tries to make the Dude suck him off so the dude cuts off the Giant Gay Albino's knob and then breaks his neck with lifting weights

The Heavyweight Champion Of The World for some reason does his world title fight in small hick town of BANSHEEE!!! but he does a bad rape so the Dude beats him up bad right in front of everyone even tho he's supposed to be Sheriff and breaks his arms so he can never fight again

The Main Gangster used to be a mermens but he's gangsta now. He arranges a small illegal rave in a barn on a farm in small hick town of BANSHEEE!!! but it's ludicrous cos the small illegal rave in barn has like a dozen armed security guards talking on intercoms like they're protecting president or something. Then there is bad drugs so Dude has to intervene and do some murders.

These is just a sample of great things you see in small hick town of BANSHEEE!!!

This is the Head Mermens Daughter! Do you want to see her boobs? Course you do!

Lili_Simmons.jpg

yeah i watch it sometimes it's not my favourite tho cos I'm allergic to his dumb daughter and dumb ex wife. The daughter is the worst! When she comes on doing her forced goth acting and is like "Dear Father, I Wish You Would Refrain From Suckulating Mammaries When Your Offspring Is Resident In Ur Domicile" i always want to jump through screen & stab her in neck!

I've just seen 'Looking for Lowry' (ITV Sunday) fronted by a life long fan of the great man - the noted actor Sir Ian McKellan. I too have long admired this artist so I found this programme most interesting. Along with the familiar (and immensely appealing) 'Matchstick Men' industrial landscape paintings that he will be forever remembered for, it turns out that L S Lowry could paint a diverse range of other subjects with equal skill. His lesser known (and rather disturbing) abstract style portraits and anatomical studies show a artist of some range and stature.

On a personal note, Lowry was one of those men dominated by a cold and manipulative mother who had ideas far above the family's upper working class status. A lonely man, he never married and found forming relationships with other people very difficult. He obviously found solace in his art.

For such an enduringly popular artist with the British public it is rather odd how the art establishment still look down on him for some reason. The Tate Gallery for instance have over 20 of his best works - all in storage! I understand this programme may have prompted a rethink of that misguided policy.

PS - this programme also managed to avoid employing that bloody pop song - get that in your head and it's there for a week!

Anyone see the chicken shop cutting edge thing last night. Pretty funny, I thought at first it would be how the place is really scabby and the staff are ripping people off and frying rats and stuff but actually it is about all the mentals that go in there and use the place. Loud school kids in the day time, religious freaks, then p!ss heads at night throwing chicken about and fighting each other. The staff seemed used to it though. In the end I felt really sorry for the staff, putting up with that all day and night.

Anyone see the chicken shop cutting edge thing last night. Pretty funny, I thought at first it would be how the place is really scabby and the staff are ripping people off and frying rats and stuff but actually it is about all the mentals that go in there and use the place. Loud school kids in the day time, religious freaks, then p!ss heads at night throwing chicken about and fighting each other. The staff seemed used to it though. In the end I felt really sorry for the staff, putting up with that all day and night.

I wanted to watch that. It looked interesting.

I think I like some weird shows. I've been enjoying the shows the Beeb have been doing about people in random scenarios, for example Pound Shop Wars (or something like that, it was about Pound Shops) and Allotment Wars.

Yeah me too, I generally only watch nutters on tv now. My favourite is the one were teenagers go on holiday and bone each other, then get stds and stuff. Kavos is the best one of these but the Magaluf one and the one were the parents are watching them isn't bad either. It's the new scum on the run stuff as people have gotten board of those cops style programmes.

Just watched the first episode of the new series of Black Mirror. Forgot just how unsettling this show could be. Charlie Brooker is probably the best thing to happen to TV in the 21st century so far imo, everything he's done has been excellent, from Dead Set to Screenwipe to How TV Ruined Your Life through to Black Mirror.

Just watched the first episode of the new series of Black Mirror. Forgot just how unsettling this show could be. Charlie Brooker is probably the best thing to happen to TV in the 21st century so far imo, everything he's done has been excellent, from Dead Set to Screenwipe to How TV Ruined Your Life through to Black Mirror.

I've followed Charlie Brooker's career for yonks, since the days he used to draw offensive ads and write for video game mags. Always been very funny. He used to have a website called SuperKaylo. Home page carried the disclaimer "Not suitable for children. Or c**ts".

Will need to catch up with Black Mirror.

I watched the movie/ documentory about The Libertines reunion last night, 'There are no innocent bystanders'. It was pretty interesting if you like the libertines and are interested in them of course. If not it is just 3 guys that are pretty good at music trying to get one guy who is a genius but is also a flakey skag head to try and go to rehearsals.

One of the main problems for the band seems to be that Pete sleeps when he wants. This is a problem cause the other guys are more your MLG style musicians than your Pete Doherty style rock star. The other guys are trying to practice the songs while Pete being the one that wrote the songs is more into "enjoying the music". There is an embarrassing bit when Carl is pretty much being fought the song he supposedly wrote as he has no idea how it goes. He is too posh to be really likeable, in fact if made in Chelsea were auditioning for new people they would say he is too posh. It is interesting though as he is the one that has to control Pete and make sure he turns up at gigs and stuff. There are a couple of funny bits with him calling Pete and repeatedly saying the venue he is supposed to be at's name. In the end he just shouts "I'll text it to you!".

I've followed Charlie Brooker's career for yonks, since the days he used to draw offensive ads and write for video game mags. Always been very funny. He used to have a website called SuperKaylo. Home page carried the disclaimer "Not suitable for children. Or c**ts".

Will need to catch up with Black Mirror.

Pfftt!

I used to walk round Exmoor with a placard predicting his birth etc etc...the ponies 'neighed me down', but they won't look me in the eye now.

Actually I've been way behind on this so have watched the 1st 2 episodes from season 1 over the last few days. Loved the first one, but thought the ending a bit meh. I took it to be a comedy, dark yes, but a comedy nonetheless. With that in mind I would have the final scene with the PM getting in and shouting 'honey I'm home' to be met with an excited squeal/grunt off camera, then cut to credits.

The second one was not as good, but ok. A take on a possible future world but in the end quite predictable. Good SFX though.

Phew, just watched the 3rd one about filming your life on a chip in your head. The most dramatic of the 3, no jokes in this one. Had no sympathy with any of the characters.

Intense, but I thoroughly endured it!

Edited by RonManager
update

I've just seen 'Looking for Lowry' (ITV Sunday) fronted by a life long fan of the great man - the noted actor Sir Ian McKellan. I too have long admired this artist so I found this programme most interesting. Along with the familiar (and immensely appealing) 'Matchstick Men' industrial landscape paintings that he will be forever remembered for, it turns out that L S Lowry could paint a diverse range of other subjects with equal skill. His lesser known (and rather disturbing) abstract style portraits and anatomical studies show a artist of some range and stature.

On a personal note, Lowry was one of those men dominated by a cold and manipulative mother who had ideas far above the family's upper working class status. A lonely man, he never married and found forming relationships with other people very difficult. He obviously found solace in his art.

For such an enduringly popular artist with the British public it is rather odd how the art establishment still look down on him for some reason. The Tate Gallery for instance have over 20 of his best works - all in storage! I understand this programme may have prompted a rethink of that misguided policy.

He visited Southampton in 1956 and his painting of the Woolston Floating Bridge is in the Art Gallery.

Not sure if this goes in here or the films thread.

But I have been watching a few of the BBC Storyville documentaries to pass the commute.

1st one I watched was about the founders of The Pirate Bay and their continuing court battles. Was really interesting to see the chaps behind it, and some of the reactions to them. Should mention large parts are in Swedish (with subtitles obv), which is helping my fledgling attempts to learn the language (I go to Stockholm & Malmo fairly often with work).

2nd one I watched was the next episode about Hacktivism & Anonymous. This one was really interesting, I guess having a politics degree and an interest in the web and peoples behaviour online drew me to this - but I certainly would recommend it. It frames a lot of the debate in a geo-political viewpoint, which I think gives these groups and their activities a fresh perspective to a lot of the scaremonger you may see elsewhere.

I do love the Beeb.

Out in the USA on 31 March on sky in UK on April 1 :-)

Yep, we should get it here about 4 hours before you lot.

I can get my review in just in time to let Bearsy know what the bewb count is

Just discovered they were showing Banshee down here - damn you Tokes, we're at Episode 7 why didn't you do your reviews on that earlier.

I've just seen 'Voyager: To the Final Frontier' (BBC4 Thursday) which has nothing to do with Star Trek and everything to do with the two outstandingly successful NASA space probes that did so much to expand humanity's knowledge of the outer solar system.

We take missions of this sort for granted now, but there was a time not so long ago when it was considered a practicable impossibility to send a probe to the outer planets because it would have taken many decades for a conventional rocket propelled probe to transverse the vast distances involved. Then a brilliant young mathematician named Michael Minovitch (who was still studying for his PhD) conceived the 'slingshot' method of employing planetary gravitational force to accelerate the craft so that after reaching the first target it could 'slingshot' around it and then travel fast enough to reach the next planet in a reasonable timescale. The mathematical calculations require to calculate the complex trajectories involved were, as I'm sure you can imagine, quite formidable.

Then a NASA engineer at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Gary Flandro) suddenly realized that the orbits of Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune would all be in relatively close proximity to each other, on the same side of the Sun, during the 1975/76 period. This favorable planetary alignment will not recur for another 176 years. The rest as they say 'is history'.

Today, 35 years and 11 billion miles later, the Voyager probes are becoming the first ever man made objects to leave our Solar System for the enormity of interstellar space. Incredibly these 1970's era machines are still sending back data, still functioning as designed. There are many candidates I suppose, but perhaps the Voyager probes can lay claim to being the greatest machines ever conceived by the mind of man. A smashing programe that really should be a 'must see' to anyone with even the slightest interest in space exploration I would have thought.

OK, so I guess it's up to me to say it.

Kia C'eed....

I know it's trendy over there to hate everything Clarkson does now he's successful...

But the Reasonably priced car review has to have been the silliest, most OTT, and NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bit of stupidity they have ever come up with.

Absolutely classic bit of TV that.

(And yes, the Marketing man (and cynic) in me actually does say - bloody well done to the Kia people who approved the budget for that as an "Advertising" campaign - takes balls to be creative AND daft at the same time. What were the other cars they tested??? ;))