What Are You Watching..?

Robsk II

Years behind everyone else but bought The Sopranos box set back in October and got through it all in the space of two months. Absolutely brilliant TV, I expect I'll watch it again all the way through within the next year or so.

Now onto The Wire and nearly finished the first series. Have enjoyed it but miss watching The Sopranos so far! In a way find it better to wait until this series end and just ploughing through the box sets rather than waiting every week for another episode! I'm sure I'll get round to watching Breaking Bad eventually too.

Boardwalk Empire just wrapped up the fourth season. The finale gutwrenching episode was one of the best I've seen, to a season that has been brilliant.

Season finale on Saturday. Quite brilliant. Richard Harrow's death sequence so poignant with him appearing before the family he longed for not disfigured. Season 5 will be the last of one of the finest ever TV series though.

Started watching a show called Leverage.

It's a show about a former insurance claims investigator asked to lead a team of crooks. Seems like a modern day A-Team, even down to having a crazy person on the team. Quite enjoyable so far for what it is.

Started watching a show called Leverage.

It's a show about a former insurance claims investigator asked to lead a team of crooks. Seems like a modern day A-Team, even down to having a crazy person on the team. Quite enjoyable so far for what it is.

Its a rip-off of the BBC Show Hustle.

http://news.yahoo.com/tv-series-2014-152215076.html;_ylt=A0oG7mCdO9ZSZSoA_F9XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTB0YzE0NXBmBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA01BUDAwNV8x

Inbound series from the US new ones and returns

It IS worth sticking with S3 of Homeland bpsaint. It is pretty turgid at times in the early - mid part and lost a lot of viewers, but it does turn itself around very well in the final 3 or 4 and sets up a decent chance that S4 could be good and also pretty damned "current/accurate"

SPOILER ALERT :-

(Well nothing too bad re the story line in S3)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/22/homeland-renewed-season-4_n_4144549.html

Just a reminder to keep an eye out for Helix (and Almost Human)

2nd episode of Helix started to flesh out the story and is starting to get quite claustrophobic and (almost) scary. Not sure yet whether it could become a Walking Dead with Intelligent "Superhuman" Zombies or just a Bio Med is out of control type warning show.

Almost Human is really starting to flow now, the template enables the writers to come up with totally off the wall "Crimes".

Last week was "Hi-Tech necklacing" broadcast on the Dark Net (Bad Internet)

This week was about a "Guided Bullet" - software hacks CCTV, Mobile, GPS data, you fire a bullet and it flies round corners and up stairs etc until it finds the victim. Potty but feasible stuff.

It is developing into good Saturday evening fun, unusually putting normal Sci Fi Weird idea technology into the hands of "standard Cop Series" Baddies and the banter between the Cop (Karl Urban) and his "Nutter" robot Dorian is enjoyable. Has a "something bad going on in the background" story running through it as well, "Bar Coded Baddies" pop up from time to time.

It ain't Dr Who but it has hit a 8/10 from us now (even without the Sex-Bots who still get mentions!) and is top of our "Don't Miss" TV shows at the moment.

i watched a new show bout pirates. It was really good show! It is American show but the main guy is English i recognised him from something, but I can't remember what. It is really good show! I don't know what it's called but i would watch it if i was you, it is really good show! It had lesbian in it + also prostitutes. In one bit, they is taking this pirate to meet Black Beard (who is king of pirates) and he is v.nervous, but when they take him inside it is not Black Beard the pirate it is prostitute who is called Black Beard cos she is having v.thick + hairy bush!

Edit: Spoilers

Edited by Bearsy
Added + hairy to bush description

Has anyone here mentioned Suits?

Very good buddy legal drama thing. Very watchable, Mrs norwaysaint and I have been watching two or three in a go on netflix. Can't put my finger on what elevates it above a lot of other stuff, maybe just the strength of the lead actors/characters, but it certainly works.

Have recently tried and disliked Fringe and Continuum, both dull and unoriginal.

what elevates suits above other stuff is the paralegal bird, who is hot as balls. I used to watch it but i tapped out i think after the first season. I started not to care if that kid kept his dumb job or not. I like that other guy tho, wassisname, Lewis, it's like they drafted him in from an entirely different show. A sitcom bout Fruits in the City.

*HERE BE SPOILERS*

I dare say its small, but dedicated, fanbase will agree with me when I say that the final two episodes of 'The Bridge' proved to be extraordinarily powerful television, and I'm not just talking here about the eco-terrorist's ruthless plot to turn people into living bio weapons - terrible as that was - but also the consequences on Saga and especially poor old Martin.

Martin (with his life falling apart) just had to kill Jens just to get him out of his head and Saga had to turn him in when she found out about it I suppose. But for just one brief moment I did start to wonder if she could overcome her 'Robocop' programming just this once and save the only true friend she will probably ever know - not to be of course. These characters are true to themselves to a degree you seldom see in television drama.

How I will miss this splendid series and I must admit to my fellow 'Bron' fans out there in SWF land that the idea of being denied my weekly 'Hollow Voices' fix is actually a quite distressing thought.

Tak!

Finished watching Sherlock series 3. It's still a very well put together show, entertaining and the two leads are great to watch together. But I'm getting a bit frustrated by the overall smugness of the creators - Gatiss and Moffat. It's become far too pleased with itself and has detracted quite far from the excellent first two seasons.

(Moffat IMO, has always shown great promise - his individual Doctor Who episodes he wrote in the Tennant years - Blink, Girl in the Fireplace, Silence in the Library, etc. But once he took the reins of the whole thing, the show got a bit up it's own arse and repetitive.)

Walking Dead starts this weekend. Another series that's loosing it....

When does Game Of Thrones start back up? :)

Almost Human has returned after a 2 week "mid season break" in the US. WTF is that all about?

Up to episode 8 now (Sexbots are long gone Bear, moved way beyond that now). Have to say it has held interest up to now as damn good sci-fi buddy cop movie mix, but now that the bonding between the Cop Karl Urban & his DRN has been established it has started to develop the sub-plot that was inferred to a few times in earlier episodes.

No idea whether it has reached UK yet or Netflix or Download land, but it really has become a firm DON'T MISS in Chez D_P.

Helix has about 6 main characters, up to episode 5, and I have to hand it to them, I haven't got a farking CLUE what is going on, who is good who is bad who is conspiring where and why the Monkeys screamed.

When nothing else is on check out the Movie channel for The Light of Day (2012). Never heard of it before - Henry Cavill, Sigourney Weaver, Bruce Willis. Seen it a thousand times before amateur gets dragged into some Spy Conspiracy thingy and has no idea what is going on yadda yadda.

But very well put together, great action and location and an enjoyable way to spend the evening when you've had enough of 6 hours of Luge/Biathalon

Started watching Apparitions with my mum last night. It's on US Netflix. Martin Shaw plays an exorcist in the Catholic church and uncovers evidence of a Satanic plot. I'm not very religious myself, but I do love to see it in fiction; The Omen is one of my all time favourite horror films. This has a similar vibe about it. Will probs watch the rest.

Watching Life on Mars for the n'th time.

i only watched like the first episode of life on mars and then i tapped out cos i don't like things where It's All Just A Dream. It seems such a terrible cop-out. Even as i young bear i had strong objections to Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland and the second half of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

The Walking Dead started again last night, seems like they're going to reaaaaaally drag out the first part of this run of episodes because we only actually saw 3 of the characters from the show over the whole running time of the episode. Still, there were some good bits and i'm looking forward to seeing what happens between the end of the season.

I'm also watching True Detective, which I have been looking forward to for a while. Caught up on the first 3 episodes last week and watched last night's one today. It's really excellent TV, and it doesn't feel slowly paced despite each episode being an hour long. There's a continuous action shot in the last episode (E4) that lasts for 6 minutes which is a really astounding piece of cinematography, as well as being a great action shot.

Oh, and it has the coolest f*cking title sequence i've seen on any TV show:

The Walking Dead started again last night, seems like they're going to reaaaaaally drag out the first part of this run of episodes because we only actually saw 3 of the characters from the show over the whole running time of the episode. Still, there were some good bits and i'm looking forward to seeing what happens between the end of the season.

I'm also watching True Detective, which I have been looking forward to for a while. Caught up on the first 3 episodes last week and watched last night's one today. It's really excellent TV, and it doesn't feel slowly paced despite each episode being an hour long. There's a continuous action shot in the last episode (E4) that lasts for 6 minutes which is a really astounding piece of cinematography, as well as being a great action shot.

Oh, and it has the coolest f*cking title sequence i've seen on any TV show:

Yep mentioned True Detective above - glad some others are getting into it.

Thought the end of EP03 was difficult to top but the last 6 mins from EP04 was ridiculously good -like a setpiece from CoD or Battlefield, reminiscent of Children of Men, Wu Tang Clan blazing out-and all on my laptop.

Edited by shurlock

i only watched like the first episode of life on mars and then i tapped out cos i don't like things where It's All Just A Dream. It seems such a terrible cop-out. Even as i young bear i had strong objections to Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland and the second half of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

It's Not 'All a Dream', it's anything but.. That's what you get for just watching the 1st episode.

That aside I'm ****ed off because Misfits has finally come to a close and the BBC has decided to cancel Ripper Street leaving it hanging.

Edited by RonManager

It's Not 'All a Dream', it's anything but.. That's what you get for just watching the 1st episode.

serious? It seemed like he was in coma having a little dream. How did it turn out then? Was he on Mars all along? Don't be afraid to put spoilers on me!

Yep mentioned True Detective above - glad some others are getting into it.

Thought the end of EP03 was difficult to top but the last 6 mins from EP04 was ridiculously good -like a setpiece from CoD or Battlefield, reminiscent of Children of Men, Wu Tang Clan blazing out-and all on my laptop.

the tits in ep 2 were amazing!

House of Cards season 2 just popped up on netflix, which solves the problem of what I'm gonna do with my hangover on sunday am

I'm a big fan of the original and the sort of person likely to sneer at anything inferior, especially if it's a cheap American knock-off. The main thread of the story looks like its going to be similar; has the same "fk me!" moments of the original, but they're better implemented. No spoilers. I'm loving the adaptation.

The US version has an excellent cast, allowing it much more scope. Robin Wright is a great example; her workplace shenanigans from S1 were probably the weakest aspects of that run. She's got much more to do from the four episodes of S2 I've seen so far. Ep4 is dynamite, and she provides most of the explosions.

Sound of Cinema: The Music that Made the Movies (BBC4 Friday)

I'm much enjoying Neil Brand's look at a aspect of film making that is crucial to the cinema going experience, but sometimes overlooked as the viewer is captivated my the sheer power of imagery. Last weeks instalment examined how from the 1960's onwards Jazz and Pop music dominated soundtracks began to overshadow the traditional symphonic scores associated with the older generation of films.

When you compare Bernard Hermann's (brilliant) original compositions for numerous Hitchcock films with the contemporary music derived scores for later movies such as 'Bullit' or 'A Fistful of Dollars' for instance and the change is both revolutionary and very obvious. Indeed, so eroticly charged were some of these new soundtracks considered to be that the sultry jazz style adopted in 'A Streetcar Named Desire' was actually censored in order to protect the public! Some modern Directors dispense with the orchestra altogether - Quentin Tarentino's infamous 'Reservoir Dogs' being a case in point ... the 'super sounds of the 70's' are here to stay it would seem.

Both the 'old school' film music of the past and what we hear today can, at its best, be genuinely wonderful stuff - this informative (and surprising funny) BBC series has even inspired me to download even more of it onto my already overloaded MP3 player.

House of Cards season 2 just popped up on netflix, which solves the problem of what I'm gonna do with my hangover on sunday am

I'm 3 episodes into the new series now and liking it a lot. Unlike Suits, where I could watch 3 or 4 episodes back to back, I always find one episode of this gives me enough to chew over for one night, certainly can't do more than 2.

Bit of a shocker at the end of that first episode...

I'm 3 episodes into the new series now and liking it a lot. Unlike Suits, where I could watch 3 or 4 episodes back to back, I always find one episode of this gives me enough to chew over for one night, certainly can't do more than 2.

Bit of a shocker at the end of that first episode...

i know what you mean, but i'd seen the original bbc series before i saw this one & i was only surprised it didn't happen end of season 1. I feel like the boner factor has been reduced by a factor of 4.6 tho, hopefully they will address this in the following eps.

I have just finished series 2 of The Killing which was good but not as good as the incredible first series. Quite fancy starting the Bridge now but I don't want to overdose on Scandinavian cop shows.

Enjoyed Babylon the other night and looking forward to the proper series starting later in the year. Walking Dead has started again which is possibly my favourite tv show of the last 10 years. Have been taping Mob City but yet to see it and despite having the first 3 series on DVD for over a year I've yet to start watching Breaking Bad.

i know what you mean, but i'd seen the original bbc series before i saw this one & i was only surprised it didn't happen end of season 1. I feel like the boner factor has been reduced by a factor of 4.6 tho, hopefully they will address this in the following eps.

Spoiler- will lezzer action do? though to your temper excitement, it's more Anna Friel-Brookie era than anything else. The Latino bird of the English photographer is also promising, though so far she has been criminally underused.

So House of Cards S2 is done.

I remember reading a review of the first season which said that the acid test of this show was whether it was good enough for you to want to play the next episode. It's definitely that. Like the first season, you could argue that some of the sub-plots seem a bit like filler, but they're never entirely wasted. The Rachel side-plot is a big part of Stamper's character development. It ends up going somewhere.

The transition works really well. House of Cards was a great concept in the UK; it works just as well, if not better, when stretched over the US political framework. It's also a cynic's wet dream; it's full of back-channeled deals, double-crossing and generally paints the political system as something entirely corroded. There doesn't seem to be a straight-shooter amongst them; all self-serving political machines that'd throw grandmothers under buses for votes. Some take that more literally than others.

Given the constitutional differences, there's a big departure from To Play The King and this season really represents the departure point from the original show. I can see this running for more than three seasons and get the feeling that it'll very much be its own thing from now on.

Ep 5 of True Detective again confounding expectations as things are tied up very quickly before jumping ahead 7 years and joining with the present. If you've seen it, you'll know what I mean.

It's a great show, no doubt. I reckon at this point I'm sposed to be suspecting either McConaughay or Harrelson of being the Yellow King, i could make a case against either of them but it would all be circumstantial. I might be missing stuff tho, sometimes it's so slow + people talk in mumbly thick accents it's hard to follow. Like when McConaughay bangs on about time being circular or flat or quadrangular or whatever the ole attention starts to wander. There may be clues in there but i wouldn't find them out! I guess I'm just not True Detective enough :(

It's a great show, no doubt. I reckon at this point I'm sposed to be suspecting either McConaughay or Harrelson of being the Yellow King, i could make a case against either of them but it would all be circumstantial. I might be missing stuff tho, sometimes it's so slow + people talk in mumbly thick accents it's hard to follow. Like when McConaughay bangs on about time being circular or flat or quadrangular or whatever the ole attention starts to wander. There may be clues in there but i wouldn't find them out! I guess I'm just not True Detective enough :(

There's so many details that get thrown around that you have absolutely no idea if they're relevant or not, which keeps you guessing. It was funny how Marty just blew that guy away though when he found those kids.

That is exactly right Mikey! Here is some of the little details in the case I'm building against Marty/Harrelson which may be important or as you say may just be you know, normal dramas!

1) Marty is often disappearing ~"3 nights in a row"

b) Marty is very angar about sex, DID SHE SUCK UR DICK? DID SHE SUCK UR DICK? Well, maybe a little...

4) His daughter at age 6 or whatever drawing weird sex pictures - where did she find out about gimp masks in pre-internet world? Did she stumble on Marty's polaroids?

ii) Did he kill that dude cos of the kids, or was it so he would not be identify? It was clear he never let that dude see his face!

Also check this exchange:

Rust: You ever been hunting?

Marty: Bagged a ten point buck last year

Rust: I'm not talking about sitting in tree house plucking off some buck high off your gash brah

Marty: F*ckin prick!

This is v.funny exchange, but check this 10 point buck yo... erm isn't that where you'd get antlers to put on dead womens????

There's so many details that get thrown around that you have absolutely no idea if they're relevant or not, which keeps you guessing. It was funny how Marty just blew that guy away though when he found those kids.

Followed by one of the funniest lines of the series so far "Good to see you commit to something”.

That is exactly right Mikey! Here is some of the little details in the case I'm building against Marty/Harrelson which may be important or as you say may just be you know, normal dramas!

1) Marty is often disappearing ~"3 nights in a row"

b) Marty is very angar about sex, DID SHE SUCK UR DICK? DID SHE SUCK UR DICK? Well, maybe a little...

4) His daughter at age 6 or whatever drawing weird sex pictures - where did she find out about gimp masks in pre-internet world? Did she stumble on Marty's polaroids?

ii) Did he kill that dude cos of the kids, or was it so he would not be identify? It was clear he never let that dude see his face!

Also check this exchange:

Rust: You ever been hunting?

Marty: Bagged a ten point buck last year

Rust: I'm not talking about sitting in tree house plucking off some buck high off your gash brah

Marty: F*ckin prick!

This is v.funny exchange, but check this 10 point buck yo... erm isn't that where you'd get antlers to put on dead womens????

I don't think we've met the killer yet - if this whole thing is connected to some kind of devil worshipping cult that involves "top brass" it's probably not just one guy. Unless it's the future version of Marty's youngest daughter? She plays the utter psycho child Lizzie in The Walking Dead..

Probably the best writing i've ever seen translated to the screen though. People talk about The Wire being written like a novel, slowly unfolding, but this is some next level sh*t yo!

Followed by one of the funniest lines of the series so far "Good to see you commit to something”.

I lol'd at that line. The show is actually really funny at times too, Marty's seething anger at finding out his daughter is a slut was darkly humorous.

Silk (BBC1 Monday)

Last night saw a welcome return for the beeb's classy legal drama and it wasted no time at all getting back into the action as the teenage son of one of Shoe Lane's leading barristers was arrested and charged with the manslaughter of a policeman during one of those 'kettleing' operations. Crusading silk Martha Costello (Maxine Peake) soon found herself butting heads with the Metropolitan Police yet again and attempting to walk a fine line between doing the right thing for her (guilty but vulnerable) client, and doing the right thing.

Away from the courtroom drama, alpha male chief clerk Billy (the superb Neil Stuke) now has a hostile new office manager to deal with as well as having to cope with his terminal cancer - which remains for the time being very much his secret. I see fireworks ahead.

If I were to venture one small criticism of a series that I much admire it is that there was a hell of a lot of plot here to cover in a single hour long episode. The law moves at its own pace and perhaps this series would be even better if it did too.

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

Bout half way through Series 2 of House of Cards.

Wow, they didn't hang about getting back into full swing! Was still a bit in shock at the first episode the next day.

Also, I think Claire Underwood is one of my favourite TV Characters.

What a great show this is.

i watched the whole stupid thing. I didn't know what most of it was about, i didn't understand why it was so important for chinese to build or not build that dumb bridge. Couldn't someone else build it? Do chinese build all american bridges? I also thought that billionaire doing an elaborate illegal system to fly a mere £20m back and forth to china was dumb also. Also the murder scene was dumb, wind the tape back a touch and the po-po would have seen a v.suspicious character wearing ridiculous elma-fudd disguise.

With regards to claire, i liked her cos she was badass but then they done that dumb scene where she started crying.

This show is not let me down yet tho:

[video=youtube_share;MPTgkX4p9Ng]