What Are You Watching..?

Robsk II

2nd SuperSport - Hutchinson beat Michael Dunlop by less than 2 seconds

Klaffenbock won the sideys by 1.12 seconds.

Another TT goes by without me seeing a single bit of action. I saw all of the North-West 200, and a couple of other road races, prior to the TT. Ah well...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just seen the Sony 3D HDTV advert. Yes very good, but why must the voiceover sound the H in HD, i.e he says haitch, instead of the correct aitch. It drives me up the wall.

EDIT: Next, no doubt Z will be pronounced Zee instead of Zed.

Edited by St Landrew

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Pink Floyd perform 'Dark Side of the Moon' at Earls Court in 94 on Sky Arts last night.

Brilliant!

A run through of the complete album with a few differences.

I quite enjoyed what they did with Great Gig in the Sky and the vocalists were impressive but not in the same league as Clare Torry.

(I was lucky enough to see Roger Waters at Wembley Arena in 87 and he performed Great Gig with Clare Torry........ awesome!)

There can't be many bands with a more impressive live show than Pink Floyd.

I saw them at Wembley stadium in 88 and it was utterly breathtaking.........giant flying beds etc.....

Unfortunately I'm not quite old enough to have caught them during the 70s.

Any of you guys seen them live?

Watched Pink Floyd perform 'Dark Side of the Moon' at Earls Court in 94 on Sky Arts last night.

Brilliant!

I quite enjoyed what they did with Great Gig in the Sky and the vocalists were impressive but not in the same league as Clare Torry.

(I was lucky enough to see Roger Waters at Wembley Arena in 87 and he performed Great Gig with Clare Torry........ awesome!)

I saw them at Wembley stadium in 88 and it was utterly breathtaking.........giant flying beds etc.....

Also of interest then would be the director's cut of Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii. It's almost three hours long, released in 2003, featuring eight songs. The original version of the film (1972) was only about an hour long, with just six songs. The Director's Cut has extensive interview segments and footage of members of the band doing overdubs for Dark Side of the Moon in the Abbey Road studios (these sequences are actually staged for the film, since the LP had already been recorded.) If you're a Floyd fan, this is one you ought to see.

Also of interest then would be the director's cut of Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii. It's almost three hours long, released in 2003, featuring eight songs. The original version of the film (1972) was only about an hour long, with just six songs. The Director's Cut has extensive interview segments and footage of members of the band doing overdubs for Dark Side of the Moon in the Abbey Road studios (these sequences are actually staged for the film, since the LP had already been recorded.) If you're a Floyd fan, this is one you ought to see.

Cheers Hamilton. Will hunt it down.

Brilliant!

Yes -I'm old enough :(

I saw them live at Southampton Guildhall way back when. Awesome.

I also saw Hawkwind and Curved Air there - anyone remember them?

Yes -I'm old enough :(

I saw them live at Southampton Guildhall way back when. Awesome.

I also saw Hawkwind and Curved Air there - anyone remember them?

When did you see Floyd in Southampton?

I think I saw Hawkwind at the Guildhall too.....although it may have been in Pompey....I can't quite remember due to having altered my consciousness beforehand.

;)

When did you see Floyd in Southampton?

I think I saw Hawkwind at the Guildhall too.....although it may have been in Pompey....I can't quite remember due to having altered my consciousness beforehand.

;)

I saw this show at P*rtsmouth Guildhall in 1967. What a line up for twice in one evening!

tourbooka.jpg

The Jimi Hendrix Experience tour with Pink Floyd

What a line up!

So who impressed you the most on the night?

Hendrix, I think. Floyd were quite "ethereal" with projected back-drop and I felt at the time a bit weird, but enjoyable. The Nice with Keith Emmerson were superb as well. The problem was with package tours like this, the bands didn`t have time to do more than about 6 numbers each. Great, great night though!

I also remember seeing The Stones on tour with amongst others, Ike and Tina Turner (who were brilliant!!) and The Yardbirds, at the Gaumont (now Mayflower) around the same time. One of the most amazing things that happened was that I saw the Who and the Spencer Davis Group at the Gaumont in the late 60`s. Afterwards we went into a little greasy chip shop about 3 doors up from the theatre. We were in the queue and we suddenly realised that the short guy at the front of the queue in a large fur coat, buying a portion of fish and chips, was Keith Moon! Stood directly behind us was John Entwhistle. We had a chat with him and he told us that Pete Townsend and Roger Daltry were in the Indian Resteraunt across the road, Great days!!

Edited by miserableoldgit

Hendrix, I think. Floyd were quite "ethereal" with projected back-drop and I felt at the time a bit weird, but enjoyable. The Nice with Keith Emmerson were superb as well. The problem was with package tours like this, the bands didn`t have time to do more than about 6 numbers each. Great, great night though!

I also remember seeing The Stones on tour with amongst others, Ike and Tina Turner (who were brilliant!!) and The Yardbirds, at the Gaumont (now Mayflower) around the same time. One of the most amazing things that happened was that I saw the Who and the Spencer Davis Group at the Gaumont in the late 60`s. Afterwards we went into a little greasy chip shop about 3 doors up from the theatre. We were in the queue and we suddenly realised that the short guy at the front of the queue in a large fur coat, buying a portion of fish and chips, was Keith Moon! Stood directly behind us was John Entwhistle. We had a chat with him and he told us that Pete Townsend and Roger Daltry were in the Indian Resteraunt across the road, Great days!!

You lucky lucky b*stard!

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the Brian Clough documentary last night : 'The greatest manager England never had' and although I'm easily old enough to remember the great man in his glory days it was still an education to see this really special manager and unique Human being at work again . A complicated & differcult man in many respects his iron sense of self confidence in his own ability coupled with Peter Taylor's insight on players would produce perhaps the most remarkable double act the game has ever seen . The record shows that they got not one but two struggling , unfashionable , clubs (Derby & Forest) to the very heights of English and European football . Could that happen today in the era of the Premier League and limitless TV money ? I think we all know the answer to that question .

It's a cliche but still true that the modern game just doesn't produce real characters like Clough anymore - this is very much our loss . What a pleasure it was to see him on 'Parkinson' sparring with Mohammad Ali , shouting at players that failed to match his own high standards , & pulverizing impudent reporters how dared question him . Obviously his fearless outspokenness and a great sense of humour made him Gods gift to television as well as football . Contrast & compare that with today's most successful British manager (Sir Alex Ferguson) and you soon realize just how much we miss him .

The programme is honest enough to chart the fall as well as the rise of the man . The Leeds Utd business and the painful fall out with Peter Taylor are faithfully covered , while his descent into alcoholism and subsequent relegation with Forest are equally unavoidable . These truths however should not detract too much from Clough's stellar reputation IMO.

So should Brian Clough have gotten the chance to manage England ? - Well Bobby Robson was a wonderful football man and in my view very nearly won us the world cup back in 1990 , but I think the answer to that old question is probably 'yes' .

The first thing I must say is that I'm something of a purist when it comes to Conan Doyle . I adore and revere the original works so much that most modern adaptions seem inadequate if not a damn right insulting . The recent Hollywood movie for instance was so utterly wrong on just about every level that the memory makes my blood boil . The great exception to this rule was Granada's beautifully realized version with the late Jeremy Brett , this series set the bar so high that I sometimes wonder why anyone else should even bother trying anymore to be frank . So I'm hope you understand I approached Sunday nights new series 'Sherlock' (set in contemporary London) with a sense of some apprehension .

I needn't have worried however because the opening story 'A Study in Pink' (based very loosely on 'A study in Scarlet' but without the Mormons) was a minor triumph . This production got all the key elements right , from Holmes need to constantly prove to everyone he's always the smartest man in the room , to his deep knowledge of the geography of London . You can tell the writers (Mark Gatiss & Steven Moffat of 'Doctor Who' fame) truly know their Conan Doyle - the respect they've shown to 'Who' and now Holmes is the key to the success they've archived I'd say .

Even the elemants they have changed seem appropriate and justified in context . Of course a modern day Sherlock Holmes would employ cell phones and the Internet , and yes with two grown men sharing a flat together the question of sexual orientation must raise its head today more than it might have in Victorian times . In the original stories Inspector Lestrade (Rupert Graves) is more of a caricature of a stupid policeman rather than a real believable detective , here on the other hand he's portrayed in a infinitely more subtle and realistic way - good .

Ultimately the success or failure of this series must depend upon its two leads . Holmes is played by Benedict Cumberbatch , now you might say he looks a tad too young but to my eyes physically he still kinda seems 'right' for the role (this is important) and he certainly brings to it an admirable degree of intensity , infuriating arrogance , and above all the acute intelligence any actor playing Sherlock Holmes must possess . Martin Freeman's 'Dr Watson' is equally successful . No one would play Watson for laughs anymore as Nigel Bruce did back in the 40's , but this troubled ex soldier (suffering from combat stress) has the innate potential to be the central character of this adaption . What a macabre 'bonus' it is that we can still write Watson as receiving his war wound in Afghanistan - 1880 or 2010 . Everything changes , everything stays the same .

Highly recommended . 8/10

I was also watching Sherlock, and would agree with most of Chapel End Charlie's review, but for a few points.

- In my view, Sherlock was portrayed as a 'genius' or 'brilliant mind' to the point of coming across slightly 'Rain Man' imo, especially coupled with all of the shots of road signs etc during the chase scene with the cab.

- I thought Holmes' relationship with the police force was a little cliched - 'we don't want him but we need him'. Mind you, if he'd gone too A-team then i'd probably be more annoyed!

- While Steven Moffat is an excellent writer, and i'm a massive fan of all his work, I felt that he put slightly too much Dr Who into this particular character. I always thought of Holmes as more of a logical thinker rather than somebody haring around the back alleys of Brixton like the Tennant incarnation of the famous Doctor. Even down to the whole "Shh, i'm thinking" scenes, which Dr Who uses rather frequently. A little less chase and a little more cool would be appreciated in the future please Mr Moffat and Mr Gatiss.

Apart from these niggling points though, I must say that it was very entertaining and i'm looking forward to the next two episodes.

7/10

Just started watching Being Human second series on BBCAmerica. I like this.

Getting through season 1 of Deadwood. ****ing great! And will start The Wire season 3 soon.

For ****s and giggles renting old episodes of Allo Allo too.

Just started watching Being Human second series on BBCAmerica. I like this.

Getting through season 1 of Deadwood. ****ing great! And will start The Wire season 3 soon.

For ****s and giggles renting old episodes of Allo Allo too.

the wire is superb

I am getting into Law and Order:SVU at the mo....great stuff

Mongrels on BBC3 - Had high hopes for this.

It get's another 5 minutes, if I haven't laughed by then, it's off.

Really liking this show. The first one was weakest of them so far - was a bit disappointing. Have laughed at lot at every episode though.

Morgan Freeman Lamb; Basil Brush holocaust denier; 'You might be Keyser Soze but you wouldn't know good theatre if it grabbed your **** in the park'

An absolute classic. I've also been looking at any John Betjeman films, especially which feature railways, I can come across. Films like Branch Line are a delight. But anything involving Betjeman has a certain magic.

On another tack, I've just finished watching the second episode of Sherlock, with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman. I thought the first one was actually pretty good, and this one is fairly strong too, mainly because the actors flesh out the characters rather well.

However, being a Holmes fan, since I read The Red Headed League as a kid, there are usually points in an adventure, written by someone else, but inspired by Conan-Doyle, where they trip themselves up. In this episode there was only one I could spot easily. It is where Watson's new girlfriend is strapped to a chair, waiting to be executed by a timed crossbow. Of course, Sherlock manages to get to her, in time, and starts to untie her. Then he is interrupted, by being attacked himself, and the suspense rises. But for me it had gone dead, because of course, someone with the IQ of Holmes would have simply kicked the chair over, thereby kicking the intended target away too. I hope the writer didn't underestimate the IQ of his viewers.

But as I said, pretty good. The best thing about it is Cumberbatch though, who has a certain presence in everything he does.

Edited by St Landrew

Bit slow finally getting round to this. Never had a chance to properly sit down and watch, but thanks to my new found unemployment I have a lot of spare time on my hands.

Borrowed The Sopranos off a mate. Watched about half the first series over the past few days, absolutely hooked. It really is fantastic. Everything about it is so well done. The characters, the slow-building bubbling plot-lines. The cinematography is cracking. Each episode really is like a mini-movie combining to make an absolutely epic movie across the series.

Whooooo bring on unemployment!

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst trying to catch news of Markus Liebherr [incredibly sad, R.I.P.], this evening, I came across the video footage of the two Swedish women who, just a couple of years ago, shocked us all by running into traffic on the M6 motorway. We've all seen it, so I won't link it now, but a couple of hours later, I wanted to catch up on the last Sherlock Holmes episode, and found this...

Madness In The Fast Lane

...which is all about the two identical twins who incredibly got up from being knocked over, to run into traffic again, and then onto crazier things. My mother and aunt are identical twins, and it fascinated me over the way extreme behaviour can be psycologically transmitted from one close person to another.

• 2 weeks later...
Just finished Dexter season 4.

Gripping and clever as always.

What an ending!

Season 5 starts in the US in September - which I may just watch somehow.

Another show coming on there is The Walking Dead, 6 part horror/drama. It it sticks close to the comic it should be tense stuff. Also has Andrew Lincoln as the lead - a bit of a departure from This Life, Teachers and British TV!

• 2 weeks later...

Another one of those BBC4 moments.

I'm not even remotely a fan of mountaineering, even though I've done a little cliff climbing, when I was younger, and a bit more of a risk taker. Yet I watched the documentary of the The Eiger: Wall of Death which refers to the famous north face and I found it compelling viewing. One hour long, so those with a 10 minute attention span need not click the link. Though, I think you could give it a go, just to see if you're as shallow as you believe you are. ;)

Breaking Bad - underrated US show (though it picked up a few emmies) - about an uptight high-school chemistry teacher who is dying of cancer and wants to pass on a decent inheritance to family. To do so, decides to cook crystal meth and go into the drugs trade. 3 series and counting - and if you like the sopranos and wire but have watched them over and over, definitely worth checking out.

• 4 weeks later...

As we can see, the Beeb have been marking the anniversary of the Battle of Britain, and there have been quite a few good programmes. I know, from older relatives and archive news how Southampton was bombed many, many times, mainly because it was the first source of the Supermarine Spitfire, and because of the Docks. Whether you know much or little of WWII times, I would urge you to watch at least the first 10 minutes of this programme on the iPlayer. Makes for fascinating viewing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00trb42/Battle_of_Britain_The_South_Coast_Trail/#

• 1 month later...

Anyone else caught any of Broadwalk Empire?

HBO's new mega money show ($50 reportedly spent on the first season).

It really is something. 1920's Atlantic City revolving around the sale of Alcohol during the time of Prohibition.

Great cast including (to name just 2) Steve Buscemi and Stephen Graham. Scorcese has been involved and actually directed the first episode.

Well worth a watch.

Anyone else caught any of Broadwalk Empire?

HBO's new mega money show ($50 reportedly spent on the first season).

It really is something. 1920's Atlantic City revolving around the sale of Alcohol during the time of Prohibition.

Great cast including (to name just 2) Steve Buscemi and Stephen Graham. Scorcese has been involved and actually directed the first episode.

Well worth a watch.

*Boardwalk

Yes. 'Tis good. Another HBO success! Nice to see some good British performances in Kelly McDonald and Stephen 'nutcase' Graham (as a young bastardly Al Capone) too.

When did that start in England? I forgot to tell my folks to catch it when it came on...

Edited by LVSaint

Has anyone been watching 'The Trip' with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon?

I've had some LOL moments on both episodes so far

Yep,bloody funny yet very strange.

I'm not overly sure what kind of programme it is,yes i know it's a comedy but it has a strange feel to it.

I thought the 'Ray Winston' impersonations were hilarious.

• 1 month later...

Ricky Gervais Out of England 2 on HBO. (His first American gig was very good he did about two years ago. Included the best parts from his stand up shows he'd done up till then, but with better delivery.) I never saw some of his latest material and was never that bothered. This latest American show is nowhere near as good as the first and he mostly comes across as a bit of a plonker.

However, there is a new season of the animated podcasts airing just after the new year which I have much higher hopes for.

• 1 month later...
Just watched Dexter season 5.

Enjoyed it. Didnt hit the high's of S4 but it would have been tough too.

Season 6 confirmed also, however I wonder if it will be the final one.

I finished watching season 5 this week too. Agree it wasn't as good as 4 yet apparently it was the highest rated season in US. glad 6 is being planned. Im gonna miss it when it's gone...