Captaincy

whelk

Apologies if discussed already in match thread but thought it odd kelvin got the armband back on Sunday.

Don't know if Adam felt snubbed but seemed to be the most vocal I have ever seen him in a game although much directed at clattenburg. Would like to see more sounding off from him as to me is too quiet and needs to be more inspiring.

Apologies if discussed already in match thread but thought it odd kelvin got the armband back on Sunday.

Don't know if Adam felt snubbed but seemed to be the most vocal I have ever seen him in a game although much directed at clattenburg. Would like to see more sounding off from him as to me is too quiet and needs to be more inspiring.

Kelvin is club captain and carries huge respect inside the club. His wife organises all the ladies days out, and KD is responsible for integrating new squad members and has a massive personality that goes a long way to keep moral high.

On the pitch, without Kelvin I think Lallana has grown into the armband and is a worthy vice captain. However, on the handful of occasions Kelvin will start, it is accepted he will wear the armband.

Kelvin has been told he will stay on at the club after his contract runs out, again this is due to his presence in/ around the squad. One of our biggest attributes is the cohesion in the squad, Kelvin (and his wife) are a big part of that. Similar happened with Jaidi. I expect the same to happen to Rickie.

I think his performances this season have been inspiration enough, plus he seems plenty vocal to me. Strange that Davis was given the armband though, maybe Pochettino misunderstood his role as club captain?

Might be a team vote? Perhaps players insist that when KD plays he gets the armband. A respect thing for the "daddy" of the group?

Daily Echo: SaintsFC ‏@the_saints 3h

[southampton FC] Osvaldo in fitness race to face Chelsea http://bit.ly/19CFUOO #saintsfc

Buried in the above tweet!

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/10905431.Osvaldo_in_fitness_race_to_face_Chelsea/?ref=twt

Pochettino also cleared up why Kelvin Davis was skippering the side at Everton.

Though Davis is club captain, Adam Lallana normally wears the armband on matchdays.

“It was all just a nice gesture for Adam Lallana in forwarding the captaincy to Kelvin. There was nothing in it,” he said.

“Kelvin is the club captain but he is also a team captain, as is Jose Fonte, Rickie Lambert.

“Basically they all made the decision in the end but it was basically just a nice gesture from Adam to Kelvin.”