Shock - Redknapp says players aren't good enough

itchen

This time he's talking about Spurs but it all sounds familiar.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/dec/15/tottenham-harry-redknapp-premier-league

Harry Redknapp last night offered Tottenham Hotspur's shareholders and the club's chairman, Daniel Levy, a damning assessment of the squad he inherited from Juande Ramos and warned that a complete player overhaul will be required if Spurs are to challenge for a top-five finish.

Tottenham's directors unveiled details of the club's proposed 60,000-capacity stadium at their annual general meeting yesterday and, while those plans were warmly received by those present, Redknapp made it clear that the club's short-term aims may be unobtainable given the weakness of the current squad. Spurs were bottom when the 61-year-old succeeded Ramos in October and, although they have since climbed to 15th, further upheaval is needed if they are to challenge for Champions League qualification.

Redknapp appeared to surprise the board members on the top table when asked by the non-executive director Mervyn Davies to assess the squad in a brief question and answer session conducted in front of 200 shareholders. "It depends where you want to go and finish," said the manager. "If you're talking about finishing fifth or in the top four, it's well short of that. I'm not going to stand up here and lie to you.

"So far we've got the best out of what we have here but the squad is still well short of the top four and not as good as Aston Villa's and other teams challenging to be up there. There's a lot of work to do if we are going to get where we want to be. I bet you wish you hadn't asked me that question now, don't you, Mervyn?"

Levy had earlier stressed that he anticipated "no major transactions" for the club in the winter transfer window, saying the challenge was "to realise the full potential of our squad". Redknapp appears to accept that he may have to operate with loan deals at best next month given that potential targets such as Lassana Diarra, Matthew Upson, Jermain Defoe and Carlo Cudicini are unlikely to be available mid-season. However, it appears the Spurs hierarchy must brace themselves for a further significant outlay in the summer having spent some £78m last summer‚ albeit with £73.7m recouped in sales.

"We want to build a team here that every*body's proud of," said Redknapp. "We need proper players and a proper team that can take us to where we want to go. Then I can bow out in a few years' time and leave you all with a team in the top four. As for this season, I think there will be 14 teams stuck in a possible relegation battle. Anybody could slip into it. You wonder where we'd be now if we hadn't had such a fantastic run. It doesn't bear thinking about. Everybody's scrapping for their lives and looking over their shoulders. I couldn't stand here and honestly say we're looking to get into Europe."

Spurs effectively spent £5m on players. With high ticket prices and sold out stadium I get the feeling their is plenty of coffers available but Spurs don't want everyone to know this. Lets hope ****flaps takes Johnson and Crouch from the skates.

How do those in the squad now go out motivated when their manager comes out with that statement, "need proper players & proper team", I must mitigate my part in the potential failure of any team I manage, its like his very own insurance policy "I told you when I first came here they were not good enough" thus indemnifys him from any attempts to knock him off his and TV/Radio pundits pedestal

Edited by INFLUENCED.COM

Thing is though I'm not sure he'll politically get away with it at Spurs. At Skates or us he can play the pessimist but he's more likely to be challenged at WHL. His start there buys him extra capital but it won't have done him any favours in the long-term. I think Spurs will have some money to spend but look at their new stadium plan, even with regeneration money that is not going to be cheap to build. It might only be a net £5m spend in the summer but the signing on fees for players costing £14-15m will be huge and the net income came on one player - Berbatov - so the overall wage bill won't have reduced much.

Spurs must have one of the strongest squads in the Premier League. Bale can't get in the side and they have a a midfield containing Lennon, Huddlestone, Modric, Jenas and Bentley. They also have Pavlyuchenko up front, so hardly a club in crisis. If they wanted to challenge for a top 4 finish they should have looked elsewhere for a manager.

Hopefully (as we're so strapped for cash) someone at the club will be keeping their eyes peeled for any large bets being placed at Betfair so at least we can all make some money this time:

1. Notice new tea lady appointed at White Hart Lane.

2. Wait for rumours of Redknapp's disappointment at replacement of favoured ex-tea lady and difficulty working with new tea lady who doesn't know he takes two sugars.

3. Observe large bet being placed on Redknapp leaving Spurs.

4. Display shock when Redknapp resigns and returns to 'spiritual home'.

5. Collect large winnings which can then be used to pay off our debts.

Simple.

Well there's a shock. Harry under fire for telling it like it is. Do any of you think that Spurs are a top four side? If not what has he said that's incorrect?

Top 4? No. That'll go to Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea and will for years to come unless someone does something spectacular. Top 5...For sure, they are no worse off than Villa, Everton, Hull (lol) or anyone else. Infact the only difference between them and Arsenal baring an ounce more of skill, is a decent player manager. That's not a player-manager for anyone not quite getting the gist of what I am trying to say.

Harry may be guilty of loads of things, and I'm not a fan in the slightest, but if you put the Spurs squad side by side with any of the top 5 clubs, his squad is poorer. He's actually telling the truth for once.

And he's prepping the bungs too. ;)

Have they got worse players than Villa, Everton or Hull?