Would Koeman be an upgrade on MP

Ashley Grute

Pooch inherited a team on the up n up with a fantastic team spirit.

Not sure Koeman is getting the same benefit and team spirit is going to need some TLC in the 1st few months for sure.

Think he will make us less predictable than mopo

Pooch inherited a team on the up n up with a fantastic team spirit.

Not sure Koeman is getting the same benefit and team spirit is going to need some TLC in the 1st few months for sure.

Think he will make us less predictable than mopo

I agree with Glasgow:eek:

I thought you were Glagow?

I am Glagow and so's my wife.

If it is Koeman, and we believe it is, then I applaud the board for a good choice. They could've gone for the cheap option like WBA did and get slaughtered long term by us, but they've gone for the right choice of a manager with a fairly decent reputation with the ability to attract players to the club. No appointment will unite the fans completely, but this will come fairly close to it.

Mind you I suppose the Irvine appointment united the WBA fans, just not in the same way!

OK- I like the idea of Koeman and feel he is the big name the club needs but I don't really know enough about him. Does anyone think he is an upgrade on MP or are we all in the position where we won't know until part way through the season- what are your thoughts?

well ....they were both tough defenders who were good at giving away free-kicks, but got the job done.

If we're looking at international experience?.....I'm more impressed by Koeman......as for results ...ask me in a years time.

Without a doubt yes!! His record is excellent & any player in the Saints dressing room will have to give him instant respect for his achievements both as a player or a manager.

Could not agree more - Holland (a VERY good Dutch team) and Barca legend (a proper legend); http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-M3FmMA9-QW0/TmeH8jJdCtI/AAAAAAAAS0I/0CtFhSD4EuA/s1600/Ronald+KOEMAN+Panini+FC+Barcelone.png

How he actually does here - it is impossible to know. On paper he's an upgrade.

Just the kind of manager Spurs should have appointed, someone with a bit more experience and a good win record who has actually won silverware as a player and manager.

As someone mentioned above, his time at Valencia seems to be the one role he wasn't very successful in, but seeing this article from the guardian gives me a bit more confidence that the problems weren't down to him: "a club that's never at peace; the Dutchman walked into a viper's nest, where sporting directors and coaches are at each other's throats like a bunch of deranged emus; where, with honourable exceptions, fans are never satisfied; where president and shareholders are always at war, creating tension and instability"

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/apr/21/europeanfootball.sport

I think, even with some players reportedly wanting out, we're in no way close to that kind of environment. And I'm beginning to feel far more optimistic about him coming than I was initially.

How he actually does here - it is impossible to know. On paper he's an upgrade.

Just the kind of manager Spurs should have appointed, someone with a bit more experience and a good win record who has actually won silverware as a player and manager.

Was thinking this earlier. I know Spurs were linked with RoKo back in December but given that he was a free agent after May then why didn't Spurs go for him? Or perhaps they did & he knocked them back?

Also wondering how Spurs fans feel as & when this appointment gets made? I suspect that a few of them may feel they have the bum end of the deal (in the short term of course)

As someone mentioned above, his time at Valencia seems to be the one role he wasn't very successful in, but seeing this article from the guardian gives me a bit more confidence that the problems weren't down to him: "a club that's never at peace; the Dutchman walked into a viper's nest, where sporting directors and coaches are at each other's throats like a bunch of deranged emus; where, with honourable exceptions, fans are never satisfied; where president and shareholders are always at war, creating tension and instability"

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/apr/21/europeanfootball.sport

I think, even with some players reportedly wanting out, we're in no way close to that kind of environment. And I'm beginning to feel far more optimistic about him coming than I was initially.

And against that backdrop he still won the copa del Rey, of be delighted if he fails like that with us.

Is he an upgrade? Time will tell but I can't see it as a backwards step. As I was happy enough with MP, then I am more than happy with this appointment if it is ONLY a sideways step.

As a name, if you had asked me 18 months ago, would not have focused on MP but of course would have heard of the Cowman.

Well if he comes here as widely reported, he will be a "big Name" for sure.

Will he be any better than Poch, who knows? But I'm sure we will all get behind him...

BTW if he can bring Martins-Indi with him from Feyenoord I will be chuffed.,..

A step up after Pochettino - and hopefully a bit more decent and loyal.
You are in la la land if you expect "loyalty". There is no such thing - especially were managers are concerned. He has already have enough different clubs to indicate that he will be no different to anyone else in that regard - and I don't want or expect him to be.

You are in la la land if you expect "loyalty". There is no such thing - especially were managers are concerned. He has already have enough different clubs to indicate that he will be no different to anyone else in that regard - and I don't want or expect him to be.

Yes sadly the days of long term managers are pretty much gone (if they ever really existed) people like Wenger and Ferguson are the exceptions rather than the rule. Two seasons is a decent return on managers these days.

Depends what floats your boat. I did read somewhere that the club had said that they wanted to promote academy players and if it didn't always work, then the manager would not get the blame, or words similar to that. To me, that statement is one of the biggest selling points that could be made, backed up by a half decent academy. Too often these days, clubs want instant success, or maybe it is a case of having to have instant success in order to survive. I think last season there was a game when we had 5 teenagers on the pitch (including subs - Shaw, Chambers, JWP, Reed and Gallagher) and I am not sure that many/any other clubs could do that and still be half competitive.

A manager here has the opportunity (seemingly) to be able to create something and if everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet, then more time needs to be given. Go to the clubs above us, and while they do try and bring through academy players (who wouldn't try as this is good business practice) they tend to buy the finished article. They want managers more than coaches. Depends what sort of person you are I guess as to what you get more satisfaction from - gaining success from managing a team of stars or creating a competitive team from rough diamonds.

As a supporter, I was immensely proud of Saints last year. I thought that the balance of home developed and bought in was just about perfect. Would I prefer to support a club like Spurs? Sell Bale (no problem there given the price and the fact that Real has such a pull) and buy in £100m of players - not really. I prefer the home grown and English element. I hope that this can continue even if it limits our ultimate success. I do sometimes feel, when the bigger clubs start being arrogant, **** it, if you can't beat them, join them.

Hard to assume loyalty in any manager nowadays but don't think it is impossible that we will never see the likes of Fergie or Wenger reaching 10+ years with a club again. Rodgers and Martinez, for instance, look like they could be in their respective jobs for quite some time. In the case of Koeman, he has said that he wanted to lay down 'roots' with an ambitious club and improve them - so maybe, just maybe, he is looking to the long-term with us.

It is probably the best appointment we could have possibly hoped for in terms of balancing managerial profile, track-record, and coaching reputation. If we were being unrealistic then FdB might have been a tad more exciting, though at least with Koeman, he should have the experience and stature to convince our legion of want-aways that they can progress further with us.

Pretty impossible to compare Koeman and Poch at this stage. Noticed Adam Blackmore saying that Koeman has often inherited well at clubs like Ajax and PSV and has done so again with us. A little unfair as you could say that Poch did much the same - though that's not to discredit the work he did, as he did improve most of the players he inherited immensely, particularly Fonte, J-Rod, and Lallana. The question will be: can Koeman do the same again? It's a tough ask.

I am excited about the appointment though. Koeman should have a much more extensive range of contacts in the game (players and agents) than Poch did, and his profile should mean that we attract better players easier. We obviously did well very well with recruits last summer but you get the sense that took herculean efforts from Cortese, Reed and Poch to convince players such as Wanyama and Osvaldo, who dallied for a long time, whether to join. Given our performances last season the recruitment of players should have been a less stressful experience anyway, but with Koeman's status in the game I'm sure we will be seen as an attractive option by a lot of decent players.

Will be interested to see whether there is much variation with our tactical set-up this season, and whether the 5-3-2 used with Holland will be introduced. We used to segue into a WW formation when attacking with Poch anyway, so players will used to fast transitions and deployment of wing-backs. Definitely would require an additional CB or two (if Lovren departs) though, and I wonder whether we'll ever see Wanyama utilized as a CB given our options at CM. Maybe Ramirez will actually be given an extended spell in the first-team - assuming he stays fit of course - and prove all the doubters wrong. Though that's probably wishful thinking.

Anyways, great that we have got our no.1 choice in and also fantastic that the majority of the fan-base are behind the appointment. Can't ever remember the fans being so united on that front. Starting to look forward to next season now.

If he gets us playing like the Dutch national team we should be continuing our upward curve as they can not only pass and move BUT also Score Goals. Hope he brings some of the Feyenoord players along with him for centre back and strikers.

Ditto.

In terms of playing style, results etc. we can only say in hindsight whether Koeman was an upgrade on MP. But in terms of the impact of his appointment here and now I would say it is a huge step forwards from the club and a signal to the footballing world that we are not about to give up and go back to the lower leagues. Unless players purely want away for economical reasons and have already made up their mind / struck informal deals, Koeman stands a chance to convince Shaw, Lallana, Lovren etc. that we are not in free-fall and that our ambition remains. Also as others have pointed out, he may be able to attract players of a higher calibre than some of our other candidates - and even draw upon his existing network.

So in short: In time, Irvine may turn out to be a better football coach and tactician than Koeman (I highly doubt it), but in the short term we've sent out a strong signal that there is an interesting project on the south coast that players should be fighting to be part of. Good move by the club.

OK- I like the idea of Koeman and feel he is the big name the club needs but I don't really know enough about him. Does anyone think he is an upgrade on MP or are we all in the position where we won't know until part way through the season- what are your thoughts?

None of us knew anything about MOPO before he joined, when he did their were large gasps of "WHO", look at what he achieved, now we have someone coming in with the right credentials and although the C.V. reads better will he be any better? Only time will tell, as most have said come Christmas we will all have a good idea.

Pretty impossible to compare Koeman and Poch at this stage. Noticed Adam Blackmore saying that Koeman has often inherited well at clubs like Ajax and PSV and has done so again with us. A little unfair as you could say that Poch did much the same - though that's not to discredit the work he did, as he did improve most of the players he inherited immensely, particularly Fonte, J-Rod, and Lallana. The question will be: can Koeman do the same again? It's a tough ask.

I think he said he's inherited well from hiddink and van gaal.

the implication being that h hinherited convincing champions at PSV and only just scraped a title in the following season, and he inherited champions at Alkmaar and had them struggling in mid table when he was sacked. he also is thought to have overseen a decline in Ajax followina ariense.

Pochettino inherited well but improved on it.