Immigration street - TV show set in Southampton

doddisalegend

As someone put it on another forum

In the end it was a bunch of utter c*nts, protesting that they didn't want to be made to look utter c*nts by acting like utter c*nts.

Couldn't have put it better.

That Jaqui woman, the councillor in the meeting, made me laugh - saying what a vibrant, happy, multicultural society they had. That's exactly what the documentary was portraying until they started all their protest nonsense.

Brilliant, a program to raise tensions against immigrants, just what we need 3 months before a ****ing election.

Because it's not a true representation. They are edited in a way to create controversy.

Funny really, after all that it's the natives that come out the worst. Maybe people like you, and those f*cking muppets trying to intimidate the camera crew, should wait and see what it actually is all about before getting worked up.

Funny really, after all that it's the natives that come out the worst. Maybe people like you, and those f*cking muppets trying to intimidate the camera crew, should wait and see what it actually is all about before getting worked up.

Good lad. Mission accomplished.

Good lad. Mission accomplished.

If the crew had been left to it they'd have put out a documentary showing perfectly why immigration and multiculturalism DOES work. Derby St would have come out of it looking like a fantastic place to live.

Well done, you uber tolerant brick-throwing morons.

If the crew had been left to it they'd have put out a documentary showing perfectly why immigration and multiculturalism DOES work. Derby St would have come out of it looking like a fantastic place to live.

Well done, you uber tolerant brick-throwing morons.

You mean like their balanced, incisive depiction of those on benefits?

:lol:

Edited by shurlock

You mean like their balanced and incisive investigation of the benefits system?

:lol:

I didn't watch that so can't comment, but from the way this documentary was heading up until those guys first accosted Delroy in his own front yard I don't think what I said was entirely unreasonable.

I didn't watch that so can't comment, but from the way this documentary was heading up until those guys first accosted Delroy in his own front yard I don't think what I said was entirely unreasonable.

Yep, the version they put together from the hours of footage at their disposal when they knew the show wouldnt be going ahead.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/benefits-street-channel-4-documentary-2994242

With such a track-record, can you blame people for being cagey?

Yep, the version they put together from the hours of footage at their disposal when they knew the show wouldnt be going ahead.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/benefits-street-channel-4-documentary-2994242

Cagey is understandable. Violent and completely refusing to listen to explanations? Pretty damn stupid.

Did you watch? Did you miss the group of lads that came up to Delroy and in their quest not to be seen as racist told him to go back to his own country if he didn't stop doing the interview?

Cagey is understandable. Violent and completely refusing to listen to explanations? Pretty damn stupid.

Did you watch? Did you miss the group of lads that came up to Delroy and in their quest not to be seen as racist told him to go back to his own country if he didn't stop doing the interview?

I saw that and nobody came out looking good. But explain why they felt that way in the first place and whether things escalated so quickly instead of being hoodwinked by Love Production's claims that they were somehow on a noble crusade to tell the truth about immigration and an uplifting story about community spirit. And if they were, they had already pîśsed away a lot of trust with Benefits Street.

Edited by shurlock

I saw that and nobody came out looking good. But explain why they felt that way in the first place and whether things escalated so quickly instead of being hoodwinked by Love Production's claims that they were somehow on a noble crusade to tell the truth about immigration and an uplifting story about community spirit.

I don't believe they intended to portray it that way at all. I think Love Production were expecting to find racial tension etc, but they just didn't find it. Probably got a bit lucky that it kicked off as a documentary about everyone getting on would bore most people after a while, certainly couldn't fill 6 episodes with it.

They might as well not have broadcasted it at all, just a bit of a non-show. At least St Mary's looked good on it. I think we saw parts which would suggest it would have made a decent series, some good characters. but whatever.

I bet some of the immigrants are furious. One of them could have been the next White Dee. Instead, loads of other people got offended on their behalf

Where was the real show? Instead, we got an hour of cutting-room floor filler in a self-serving attempt by Love Productions to portray itself as responsible film-makers who would have made a truthful, balanced and tantalisingly celebratory documentary if only it hadn't been thwarted by hysterical, bullying 'outsiders', whether other residents, the press or the liberal elite. In other words, nothing like Benefit Street's stitch up. Cross my heart and all that.

Nice try, fellas. Already see there are mugs buying the spin.

This

Seemed to me that they couldn't sensationalise immigration and it's impact on a community, so they turned and sensationalised the opposition to their filming.

Loads of non violent organised opposition to the programme, instead we're talking about a couple of incidents including eggs & flour and a throw away gunshot (when was the last Newtown drive by).

Love Productions have form in looking and portraying things in a sensational manner, with little regard for any long term impact.

Lol, you think they'd have made the documentary I'm that spirit had they been given free reign. Don't be so naive.

EVERYTHING THAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE IN THE UK, in one sentence. "Benefits street STARS" ... STARS? FFS.

Seemed to me that they couldn't sensationalise immigration and it's impact on a community, so they turned and sensationalised the opposition to their filming.

Loads of non violent organised opposition to the programme, instead we're talking about a couple of incidents including eggs & flour and a throw away gunshot (when was the last Newtown drive by).

Love Productions have form in looking and portraying things in a sensational manner, with little regard for any long term impact.

As well as someone getting beaten up, hospitalised as a result. Another people told he's was 'a dead man' as well as other people who agreed to contribute being so intimidated they pulled out.

A good opportunity to prove that multicultural communities can work has been wasted by those quick to shout racism. That's a fact regardless of if people like it or not.

I caught a bit about the programme on Radio Solent this morning. One of the female reporters who was covering the story last June was talking about the meeting where the documentary producer was shouted down and apparently prevented from putting his points across.

She said yes there was a lot of shouting at the beginning of the meeting...feelings were running high but then things quietened down and he was allowed to addressed the audience. If you watched the programme that definitely was not the way that indecent was depicted in the editing.:?

The producer said to the woman reporter at the end of the meeting that he felt harassed and intimidated...she said you haven't been to many of these kind of meetings have you. You should have been at the one about cycling events in the New Forest.:lol:

As well as someone getting beaten up, hospitalised as a result. Another people told he's was 'a dead man' as well as other people who agreed to contribute being so intimidated they pulled out.

A good opportunity to prove that multicultural communities can work has been wasted by those quick to shout racism. That's a fact regardless of if people like it or not.

The violence and threats did give the impression that the attackers had something else to hide. And levels of intimidation seemed absurdly high.

But there’s a problem with C4’s and Love Productions’ approach too, and it’s not really the fault of the production team on the ground, who were left to deal with the backlash (albeit with a small security presence as things got worse).

When Benefits Street came out, it was for the most part (title aside) quite a sympathetic portrayal of the people who lived on the street. If the series had been treated by the channel as an observational look at working class life on a street in Birmingham and the consequences of living with chronic unemployment, within the context of the city’s decimated blue-collar jobs, that would have been fine.

However, C4 and Love got two things badly wrong. One, they left out any contextualisation. And two, as is the way with the present C4 programme management, they saw the original series, after its ratings success, as the beginnings of a profitable and ratings-driven ‘franchise’, which you might call: [Moral Panic] Street. So you could have predicted that the next on the list would be Immigration Street.

What C4’s management and Love failed to factor in is that such moral panics can quickly become highly toxic, and the stakes were bound to be even higher for a series that is foolishly titled to suggest that the defining characteristic of Derby Road was that it was the quintessential Immigration Street.

Furthermore, it appeared to repeat an initial serious problem with Benefits Street – it failed (from the fragments last night) to contextualise the immigration issue, either in terms of the city or nationally.

As well as someone getting beaten up, hospitalised as a result..

No one seems to know who this person was. The Police and the local paper have no knowledge of him (or her). You would have thought that this person would have been interviewed.

Love Productions repeatedly refused to talk to the Police about any of their "difficulties".

It got 1.4 million viewers, according to the Echo. Benefits Street got 4.64m.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11816850.Immigration_Street___controversial_show_s_viewing_figures_released/?ref=mr

Benefits Street went out as a series at 9pm, right in the middle of the peak time schedule. Immigration Street went out as a one-off at 10pm. 1.4m is very good for 10pm; many shows and series on C4 earlier in peak time can struggle to get that rating. Immigration Street also got an 8.7% share. C4's share generally is around 5.5%-5.8%.

At least the advertisers will be happy.

Benefits Street went out as a series at 9pm, right in the middle of the peak time schedule. Immigration Street went out as a one-off at 10pm. 1.4m is very good for 10pm; many shows and series on C4 earlier in peak time can struggle to get that rating. Immigration Street also got an 8.7% share. C4's share generally is around 5.5%-5.8%.

At least the advertisers will be happy.

I was going to say that. I watched Benefits Street as nothing else was on and it was 9pm. I didn't (and probably won't ever) watch Immigration Street as it was 10pm and I was in bed.

Well, not before 10, but I was finishing off my wine, loading the dishwasher, ironing a top and doing various other old person things, before browsing the Saints forum in bed :lol:

Thank you for letting me know what you do before going to bed, did you take your false teeth out ? ;)

Just watched this - made me feel homesick for Southampton weirdly enough! It's a shame how the programme turned out, because it started with some great examples of people living in that area without tension, and it seemed like much more of a close community than i've seen in my time living in Southampton. Then obviously the controversy kicked off over the filming, and that made good copy for the production company to come across as victims.

In reality though it was an incendiary programme to make, and I can understand people's reservations about it being made because Benefits Street was very exploitative and caused a lot of people to sneer on the area it was filmed in. Not condoning the attacks and behaviour towards the crew, because the people that did it were clearly c*nts (especially the people who confronted the crew when they were filming the Jamaican guy outside his house) but it's an understandable reaction because people weren't sure how their community was going to be portrayed, and rightly so. The company would have far too much creative control to spin an unrepresentative narrative about the area and people were concerned about that.

Looking forward to "Incest Street" set in Fratton though, that should be good.