Pelle - great signing?

benjii

I've just watched last night's friendly and I was very impressed with Pelle.

He is very strong in one on one duels and looks to be a more effective outlet than Lambert. He received a lot of chest/thigh high balls back to goal and nearly always found a team mate. He also clearly has an eye for a pass. And he can run and has some agility, which is an improvement over Lambert. I reckon he could end up being an absolute bargain.

If Tadic and Ramirez also click I think we could be a more effective attacking force this season. The only real concern is centre back but if we sort that out I see no reason for gloom.

He was ridiculously strong and made good decisions.

I felt at times we were a bit too keen to just cross the ball looking for him every opportunity, but no doubt with the right service he will score goals in the area.

He plays a lot with back to goal so key is the movement off him. Tadic doesnt seem to want to run in behind so whoever is on the other side has to, as does the most advanced central midfielder. Otherwise its quite easy to defend against.

Nice try Benji, a positive thread today amongst a sea of hangover induced misery.

Sadly f*cked within 1 reply which was epically good going even for our lot.

Yes he looks very good and may well be a step up from Lambert who probably only had a season left in him, fantastic movement and obviously very intelligent, nice linkup with Tadic and excite to see how he plays with Ramirez

It's hard to read too much into it yet, but he has a good touch and moves around the field well - looks nice and mobile.

As above, he got no real service though. Tadic was the only bright spark in terms of a creative influence from the flanks. That cross he put in for Isgrove was a damn peach.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Good- often what we lacked under Poch was someone willing to have a dig! If you don't buy a ticket...

Too true. I don't want to belittle our season too much last year, as we were excellent (and there's a long way to go this season!)....but, it was a times a bit too tippy tappy for the sake of it. Lack of pot shots from outside of the area being one. Don't think we scored many outside the box at all under MP.

But Koeman seems to have released the shackles on the entire side. The midfield rotates, the front 3 interchange, the full backs bomb on....yet they all still press and get back into defensive positions without any problems, but it makes us so much more fluid to watch and so much more lethal up top.

In my opinion, I think Pelle is an upgrade on Lambert. His mobility is one of the main reasons, and his relationship with Tadic is just beautiful. You'd have thought we'd bought them both from the same club...

Good- often what we lacked under Poch was someone willing to have a dig! If you don't buy a ticket...

This is a really key point. Pelle is always looking to find that inch of space and get a shot away, and he'll pass if it's not there. There were times last season where Rickie Lambert was the other way round, particularly with his back to goal.

Too true. I don't want to belittle our season too much last year, as we were excellent (and there's a long way to go this season!)....but, it was a times a bit too tippy tappy for the sake of it. Lack of pot shots from outside of the area being one. Don't think we scored many outside the box at all under MP.

But Koeman seems to have released the shackles on the entire side. The midfield rotates, the front 3 interchange, the full backs bomb on....yet they all still press and get back into defensive positions without any problems, but it makes us so much more fluid to watch and so much more lethal up top.

In my opinion, I think Pelle is an upgrade on Lambert. His mobility is one of the main reasons, and his relationship with Tadic is just beautiful. You'd have thought we'd bought them both from the same club...

Last season there was a real lack of goals from the midfield, we really only had 3 players scoring. Since RoKo has come in, Cork, Morgan and Big Vic have all scored at least a couple of goals. Pelle is obviously providing most of them, but it doesn't feel like we need to be so reliant on him, and will still find goals if he hits a bad patch of form