Cortese must have inserted release clauses in contracts of every player he signed?

trousers

Apologies if already been discussed elsewhere, but surely the only reason for the ease at which players are leaving is because Cortese must have made it easy for them to do so via release clauses in the player's contracts?

I know that its common practice to include such release clauses these days, and yes, we're getting top dollar for the departees, but there must be a simple explanation for why the Board seem powerless in stopping the exodus and I can't think of another viable reason other than the release clause scenario...

Edited by trousers

Apologies if already been discussed elsewhere, but surely the only reason for the ease at which players are leaving is because Cortese must have made it easy for them to do so via release clauses in the player's contracts?

I know that its common practice to include such release clauses these days but there must be a simple explanation for why the Board seem powerless in stopping the exodus?

It's possible but unlikely.

I suspect the ease at which players are leaving rests a little with the lure of the clubs wanting them and a little with the absolute farce of a state of our football club. You can't do much about the former, but the latter is under our control and is ****ing annoying.

its far to easy to blame cortese now, isnt it

I'm not trying to 'blame' anyone in particular - I've always been neutral as far as the Cortese vs K.Liebherr debate is concerned - just trying to understand why players are able to leave so easily despite the Board declaring that they want them to stay. An across the board release clause is the only logical answer IMO.

According to Ben Smith of the BBC - Southampton and Koeman are of the belief that players that want to go should be let go.

Makes sense, you don't want a dressing room full of people who don't want to play for you. Wouldn't be like that in any other profession of course, given that they have contracts... but I guess that football isn't like any other profession.

Edited by Saintandy666

I'm not trying to 'blame' anyone in particular - I've always been neutral as far as the Cortese vs K.Liebherr debateis concerned - just trying to understand why players are able to leave so easily despite the Board declaring that they want them to stay. An across the board release clause is the only logical answer IMO.

You don't think it could be because our current Board are not fit for purpose? An owner who has no football experience, a hockey guy, a smalltime Austrian agent, and a DoF who's only other DoF role led to him being sacked after 4 months because of the awful job he did at Fulham.

I'm not trying to 'blame' anyone in particular - I've always been neutral as far as the Cortese vs K.Liebherr debate is concerned - just trying to understand why players are able to leave so easily despite the Board declaring that they want them to stay. An across the board release clause is the only logical answer IMO.

if cortese was to blame for all the rumours (remember them days) how come not once, have we read/heard about ANY release clauses in any contract. surely that would be the easy thing to report by agents, press, nasty nic

if cortese was to blame for all the rumours (remember them days) how come not once, have we read/heard about ANY release clauses in any contract. surely that would be the easy thing to report by agents, press, nasty nic

Yep, that did occur to me too. I'm just thinking out loud and trying to make sense of the situation. Not looking to 'blame' anyone per se.

Yep, that did occur to me too. I'm just thinking out loud and trying to make sense of the situation. Not looking to 'blame' anyone per se.

its an utter cluster fuk by the board.

players come and go but this is insane

But it has been reported in the press. The Sunday Times published a piece yesterday that Shaw's contract was formulated in exactly the way the OP suggests.

Ben Smith @BenSmithBBC · 2m

Southampton and Ronald Koeman are of the belief that players who want to leave, should go. An admirable policy, but a risky one.

If true, sounds like a voluntary rather than enforced course of action.

Nothing to do with release clauses - fits none of the facts so far. If they existed, we'd be in no position to negotiate and push hard for fees.

How do we know that we've been "pushing hard for the highest possible fee" rather than Liverpool et al simply agreeing to pay whatever the release clause value is? Maybe these clubs have offered less than the release clause and we've turned them down, only for them to come back and offer the release value? Why else would these deals be happening relatively quickly?

Ben Smith @BenSmithBBC · 2m

Southampton and Ronald Koeman are of the belief that players who want to leave, should go. An admirable policy, but a risky one.

If true, sounds like a voluntary rather than enforced course of action.

Interesting. Another valid theory and would possibly explain the lack of 'honest' PR coming out of the club at the moment? If we openly declared that disgruntled players can go then wouldn't that weaken our negotiating position? Saying in public that we want to keep them (despite thinking or wanting the opposite) means we can get top dollar for them...

Edited by trousers

If there were release clauses. Saints could easily blame cortèse and say they wanted to keep the player but contractually couldn't. Instead they seem to be actively touting their willingness to sell anyone and everyone either through complete naïveté and weakness or deliberately to extract value.

I know that its common practice to include such release clauses these days, and yes, we're getting top dollar for the departees, but there must be a simple explanation for why the Board seem powerless in stopping the exodus and I can't think of another viable reason that the release clause scenario...

Yes he made it easy to do so if he had left/ been sacked, which is what has happened. Whether it was in writing or not, we all know this has contributed to Poch and Co leaving.

It's possible but unlikely.

I suspect the ease at which players are leaving rests a little with the lure of the clubs wanting them and a little with the absolute farce of a state of our football club. You can't do much about the former, but the latter is under our control and is ****ing annoying.

This really, I said that if you allow too many to leave the pack of cards will collapse and here we are, we seem to have no power in this situation and is worrying the number of players that are trying to get out of our club

I know that its common practice to include such release clauses these days, and yes, we're getting top dollar for the departees, but there must be a simple explanation for why the Board seem powerless in stopping the exodus and I can't think of another viable reason that the release clause scenario...

Probably about the least likely scenario one could possibly imagine. The fact is that we have a bunch of amateurs running the Club who have no idea what they are doing and how to operate in the PL, they have made mistake after mistake proving that they have no desire to match the ambition of Markus and Cortese and the players along with the departure of their liked manager have seen the writing on the wall as have many supporters and voted with their feet. It really is quite simple and was likely to happen when someone inherits a business they know nothing about and for which they have no real passion - though I think no-one really expected the level of incompetence being displayed right now.

According to Ben Smith of the BBC - Southampton and Koeman are of the belief that players that want to go should be let go.

Makes sense, you don't want a dressing room full of people who don't want to play for you. Wouldn't be like that in any other profession of course, given that they have contracts... but I guess that football isn't like any other profession.

And I don't have a problem with this, but it's just gutting to see the bulk of the team you've been watching (and enjoying) being flogged off. Although the money is very good, it'll still be annoying to see them at other clubs.

Perhaps (perhaps) the owners sat or spoke with the whole squad as a group or individuals and simply said... This is the new plan, are you in or out? Perhaps players that didnt feel committed to Saints are being given one chance to leave?

Perhaps agents were then given player fees and told, find a club to pay us that and he can go?

Perhaps RoKo approved this when he came in? Why would he want a squad full of want away players? This is a clean slate.

We just need some incoming players now :lol:

Then that is a completely untenable situation to be in, all that means is that any player that suddenly isnt happy with his situation can just turn around and suggest he isnt happy. Its just rediculous.

Id rather have a few unhappy players then the complete exodus we are in, there is no way a club can organise that bigger change in personel.

Perhaps (perhaps) the owners sat or spoke with the whole squad as a group or individuals and simply said... This is the new plan, are you in or out? Perhaps players that didnt feel committed to Saints are being given one chance to leave?

Perhaps agents were then given player fees and told, find a club to pay us that and he can go?

Perhaps RoKo approved this when he came in? Why would he want a squad full of want away players? This is a clean slate.

We just need some incoming players now :lol:

That's a valid theory sir. Obviously a risky strategy but perhaps no more risky than blocking player moves and ending up with a demoralised squad. Hopefully we'll look back at the forum at the beginning of the season with a wry smile on our faces and wonder what all the fuss was about....