JWP form

Roger

No doubt the bloke has class but IMO he's been average at best since November since the hull game. Played better on the right infront of Clyne. Thought he was poor on sat tbh. I don't think he's worth a starting place at present. Am I being too harsh?

One of the best in the country for his age group but it's big boys football in the centre of the park in the Premier League and he needs to grow out a little to have the physical tools (or confidence) to impose himself on games a little.

I agree one of the best of his age group. Shone for england in his age category and quite frankly is the type of player we should be pleased to see in a Saints shirt. Will get my support all day long.

He's been told he'll be starting this season according to an ex academy player that is still good mates with him. RK rates him very highly, as do England who see him as a future Captain. Technically the best striker of the ball at SFC/ Eng U21's with a superb attitude and willingness to learn/ improve.

No doubt the bloke has class but IMO he's been average at best since November since the hull game. Played better on the right infront of Clyne. Thought he was poor on sat tbh. I don't think he's worth a starting place at present. Am I being too harsh?

Going by last season - No... we have better midfield options at the mo.

Very few players can command a regular starting place in central midfield until their 20s, its probably the hardest position on the pitch. I like JWP but I cant seem him being more than bit part player for a couple of seasons yet.

We really need him to step up this year. Shows a lot of promise but for me doesn't influence the game enough to justify a starting place at the moment.

JWP has to prove himself this season. I've been underwhelmed by his performances in the last two years, though his dead ball delivery has improved markedly. Sometimes I think if he wasn't white, articulate, good looking and the son of a barrister he would be less hyped. For example, at a similar age, Nathan Dyer (in my opinion) was a much better prospect, yet never got the widespread hype JWP has. Let's hope he really kicks on this year; he needs to.

JWP has to prove himself this season. I've been underwhelmed by his performances in the last two years, though his dead ball delivery has improved markedly. Sometimes I think if he wasn't white, articulate, good looking and the son of a barrister he would be less hyped. For example, at a similar age, Nathan Dyer (in my opinion) was a much better prospect, yet never got the widespread hype JWP has. Let's hope he really kicks on this year; he needs to.

Dyer and JWP are/ were completely different types of players. Comparing apples with oranges. Plenty of young black players get "hyped up" in JWP's position (CM), most recently Pogba. Mostly labelled as the next Viera/ Makelele/ Essien. Most don't cut it (see Obi Mikkel).

Anyway, he's been told he's going to get a run in the side so we'll see exactly what he can do. Love his corners BTW - best delivery I've ever seen from a footballer at corners (even better than Matty), seems to cause havoc every time, in or out swinging! Hope he starts taking free kicks/ shooting from distance. His finish at Brighton was superb.

Nope, I don't think your being too harsh. Technically he is superb, however he simply doesn't impose himself on games. In my eyes its because he doesn't know what his role is within the midfield. Is it a Lampard style breaking into the box from deep or more of a play-maker.

He's not a strong enough tackler so I think he would be better suited in a role just behind the striker.

Needs to baulk himself up a bit, gets bullied off the ball by the powerful CM's in this league. As other's have said, technically he's superb but lacks a real presence to stamp his authority on the game. Maybe that's confidence and a lack of physicality in his game, but it's something which you have to say is holding him back right now - if he could sort that out, he'd be the complete player and would be in Liverpool's team next season.

Dyer and JWP are/ were completely different types of players. Comparing apples with oranges. Plenty of young black players get "hyped up" in JWP's position (CM), most recently Pogba. Mostly labelled as the next Viera/ Makelele/ Essien. Most don't cut it (see Obi Mikkel).

Anyway, he's been told he's going to get a run in the side so we'll see exactly what he can do. Love his corners BTW - best delivery I've ever seen from a footballer at corners (even better than Matty), seems to cause havoc every time, in or out swinging! Hope he starts taking free kicks/ shooting from distance. His finish at Brighton was superb.

I take your point that Dyer and JWP are different types of players - my point is that at a similar age and amount of games for Saints you could clearly see Dyer's qualities - pace, good touch and an eye for an assist while with JWP I can only see a neat and tidy player with a good dead ball delivery.

I take your point that Dyer and JWP are different types of players - my point is that at a similar age and amount of games for Saints you could clearly see Dyer's qualities - pace, good touch and an eye for an assist while with JWP I can only see a neat and tidy player with a good dead ball delivery.

Dyer was horrifically inconsistent at 19 years of age. Remember the Mansfield game? That's just how young players are, with very few exceptions.