Analysis Article: How does Southampton's start to this season compare to last season?

Saint-Armstrong

An interesting analysis that demonstrates that under Pochettino's one trick pony, we were all fart and no sh*t..

It doesn't though, does it?

How has Pochettino gone from being someone who you (and many others, myself included) were gutted to lose to useless over night? He's a good manager, that did a good job here. Yeah the way he left didn't exactly endear himself to us, but stop being petty and re-writing history ffs.

It doesn't though, does it?

How has Pochettino gone from being someone who you (and many others, myself included) were gutted to lose to useless over night? He's a good manager, that did a good job here. Yeah the way he left didn't exactly endear himself to us, but stop being petty and re-writing history ffs.

to be fair to alpine. he probably was one of the people banging on about how **** we were last season..

although that probably says more about him then the reality of the situation

Trying to get my head round how we have approx 15% more accurate passes whilst having around 10% less possession. Must have spent a lot of time last season with defenders aimlessly wandering about the edge of our own area with the ball at their feet. Or a lot of Lallana dribbles running into dead ends.

Exactly. It is quite possible to analyze the same facts and come to completely different conclusions. This weeks game offers more opportunity for that. If we beat Swansea everything is good. If we lose we are five points behind the same fixtures from last year. Of course, Swansea looks like they are a better team this year, but that would just confuse the issue with more facts that can be looked at either way.

How about this way of looking at things? This year we have 7 points out of games against teams that have 10 points out of 36 in games against other teams. Last year we had 5 points out of games against teams that had 7 points out of 36 in games against other teams. CLEARLY WE ARE BETTER.

Exactly. It is quite possible to analyze the same facts and come to completely different conclusions. This weeks game offers more opportunity for that. If we beat Swansea everything is good. If we lose we are five points behind the same fixtures from last year. Of course, Swansea looks like they are a better team this year, but that would just confuse the issue with more facts that can be looked at either way.

How about this way of looking at things? This year we have 7 points out of games against teams that have 10 points out of 36 in games against other teams. Last year we had 5 points out of games against teams that had 7 points out of 36 in games against other teams. CLEARLY WE ARE BETTER.

Now I'm really confusificatified.

I look at it this way

Liverpool (a) l/y W. t/y L

WBA (h) l/y W. t/y D

WHU (a) l/y L. t/y W

Newcastle (h) l/y W. t/y W

9 points from those 4 fixtures last season.

7 point from the same fixtures this season. Therefore we're slightly behind where we were last term.

But we didn't start away to Liverpool this year??? We can all be selective with comparative fixtures, the only thing that means anything is the total at the end of the season.

But we didn't start away to Liverpool this year??? We can all be selective with comparative fixtures, the only thing that means anything is the total at the end of the season.

I think that the moment we are mathematically safe from relegation or the moment we are actually relegated are the most important moments.