Maya Yoshida wants a new deal at Saints

Saint-Armstrong

Yoshida is useless and not what we need as back up. I would rather recruit a decent young championship centre half to sit on the bench than Yoshida. Sadly he has never looked comfortable.

If you were paid for your opinions it would be a while before you could afford to replace that mouldy coat.

Not strictly relevant, but there would be something seriously wrong if Yoshida gets a new deal and Cork doesn't.

Why?

Similar age players, both useful squad members. Could be argued that Yoshida is closer to first team as played 90 minutes when all CBs were fit.

When Schneiderlin, Wanyama, JWP and Davis are fit they are ahead of Cork - possibly Harrison Reid as well now.

If we sign a midfielder before one departs it maybe that Cork is not required.

However, without any new signings I hope Cork stays as a very good level and reliable squad player.

Maya is in Garth Crooks's team of the week; we've got to keep him now (he was my MoTM on Saturday)! GC does not seem to have been aware of him before and is now promising to keep a look out for the "young lad" in future. Apparently Yoshida has more EPL appearances than all other Japanese players bar one. You learn something new every day.

i don't think anyone is suggesting that Yosh be first choice, he is however a great option as 3rd choice.

He is allot better than people give him credit for! He's not the most composed technically but he is a great out and out defender!

I think the fact he's from an unfashionable footballing country works against him, if he was Italian, Spanish or French I think people would be crying out for him to stay

He is allot better than people give him credit for! He's not the most composed technically but he is a great out and out defender!

I actually think the opposite. He is usually composed and despite the odd scary moment is comfortable with the ball at his feet (both feet).

What he isn't is a blood and thunder defender, more a thinker and an interceptor rather than tackler.

I am sure his worth will increase whilst absent in January. No doubt better centre backs around but I really like him and genuinely don't understand why so many seem to think he isn't up to PL back up standard. Well before the Everton game at least.

I think we can do better than Yoshida. He's been good, not great, but good.

I would rather spend the money on signing Toby permantly with either Turnbull or Stephens coming up.

I would rather we kept an international who was actually half decent and seemingly happy with his role

I think we can do better than Yoshida. He's been good, not great, but good.

I would rather spend the money on signing Toby permantly with either Turnbull or Stephens coming up.

I would rather we kept an international who was actually half decent and seemingly happy with his role
I hope Yoshida signs another contract with us, but it will be interesting to see what happens with Turnbull and Stephens, both getting pretty good reviews at Swindon, but a big jump from there. Edited by Sour Mash

It's a tough call - I think Maya has done enough to earn a new contract, but you don't want to freeze out Turnbull and Stephens. From what I've seen of Jack Stephens, he could be the one to step up. A lot will depend on what happens with Toby at seasons' end as well.

It's a tough call - I think Maya has done enough to earn a new contract, but you don't want to freeze out Turnbull and Stephens. From what I've seen of Jack Stephens, he could be the one to step up. A lot will depend on what happens with Toby at seasons' end as well.

We have to be sure that they're good enough, that's the thing. If they're not going to improve upon Yoshida then there's no point. We can't bring players through the academy for the sake of it. If they've performed well at that level we'll be able to let them go with hefty sell-on clauses, give Yoshida a new contract and then if we do get an opportunity to improve on him then we should be able to get a decent fee for him as well as he has performed at Prem level.