Maya Yoshida wants a new deal at Saints

Saint-Armstrong

Maybe if we no alternative ready as 4th choice, and its at the right cost. Prefer Gardos as 3rd choice and its possible RK might be thinking the same, given how Yoshi has not featured in the league cup. The woeful turning his back bit on Sunday will not help his cause sadly.

If he gets a new deal I'm worried about our club. Absolutely useless. Heavily responsible for our drop off in results when he came into the side last season. A fraud of a player. Hides on the pitch. Loses the plot, I really don't rate him. 45 mins of Maya on the pitch Sunday and we'd conceded half as many goals as we have all season. I'm staggered he survived the summer tbh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If he gets a new deal I'm worried about our club. Absolutely useless. Heavily responsible for our drop off in results when he came into the side last season. A fraud of a player. Hides on the pitch. Loses the plot, I really don't rate him. 45 mins of Maya on the pitch Sunday and we'd conceded half as many goals as we have all season. I'm staggered he survived the summer tbh.

Not a fan?

Yoshida played well for us for the first few weeks of the season before Alderweireld came in. I wouldn't want him to start for us, but if you believe we can get much better to sit on our bench, you're wrong.

I thought that on Sunday and think it now. Have we really brought Gardos to be 2nd reserve CB?
I assume Koeman looked at the Man City attack and thought that a CB with a bit of pace (Yoshida) would be better to deal with their attacks than one who might be more suited to a team knocking it long (Gardos)? Plus Gardos struggled a bit at Stoke in the cup, whereas Yoshida has been quite good when he is has played so far this year.

To be fair to Gardos, while he made 2 errors at Stoke, these were late on and he was good prior to that with their physical attack. He was also very good against Sanchez, Poldolski etc at Arsenal. Yoshi has made plenty of errors, including on Sunday.

I agree that RK probably picked him at HT on Sunday for his better pace. But as I said, the fact that he has not featured in league or league cup since the new signings arrived says quite a lot

To be fair to Gardos, while he made 2 errors at Stoke, these were late on and he was good prior to that with their physical attack. He was also very good against Sanchez, Poldolski etc at Arsenal. Yoshi has made plenty of errors, including on Sunday.

I agree that RK probably picked him at HT on Sunday for his better pace. But as I said, the fact that he has not featured in league or league cup since the new signings arrived says quite a lot

He has featured though. He started at Swansea with Gardos on the bench for example.

He's OK , not as bad as some make out. What standard of player do people really expect to be 3rd or 4th centre half for Southampton?

The toughest position for a youngster to slot into , you'll always need experienced back ups .

As Ron was a world class centre half himself hes pretty qualified to make the right decision.

You do know who Yoshida is I take it? Your response would indicate otherwise. There is a picture of him on the Echo report if you need help with his identification. Blaming him for 3 goals on Sunday is just plain stupid.

He is just what we need in a squad where we need 4 good CBs with two able to come in seamlessly in case of a problem with either of our first choices. And if Toby does not sign on again who knows whether Yoshida may be first choice again next season. the question is though whether Turnbull and/or Stephens might be ready, the rest of this season in L1 with Swindon might mean one or both can make the step up, but difficult to judge. Yoshida is still a better option than Gardos from the evidence (of Gardos, admittedly very little) so far.

Maybe if we no alternative ready as 4th choice, and its at the right cost. Prefer Gardos as 3rd choice and its possible RK might be thinking the same, given how Yoshi has not featured in the league cup. The woeful turning his back bit on Sunday will not help his cause sadly.

I have reservations about his capabilities at PL level. It's not the first time he's turned his back on the incoming ball.

. Yoshida is still a better option than Gardos from the evidence (of Gardos, admittedly very little) so far.

Gardos was very good at Arsenal, dont recall a problem 2nd half at Swansea and was good at Stoke for most of the game. Yes he made two errors, one of which was a slip which nearly cost us, but didnt thanks to Fonte. Yoshi has made many errors in his previous games including a bad one which seems to be a trait on Sunday. Harsh for those to say Gardos "had a mare" at Stoke but think Yoshi did very well against City.

Incidentally, Davis made an error by switching off at Stoke which led to their 1st goal, and lost the ball against City which again led to a goal. He is a great player but even he makes mistakes

I don't know what his best position is? - don't say on the bench anyone :lol: , but he always seems to be put in when someone else is injured, and often ends up at full back....or " wrong-sided CB ".

I can't see him being re-signed as there must be other names on " The List " that would be a better bet. Pity because he seems a personable sort of guy and always does his best.

He is a full international player with lots of experience. He has had some great games for us and is a very useful squad player. At the beginning of this season he was excellent when playing. I remember many comments from posters saying he had improved so much since last season. I think we'd be stupid to let him go to be honest.

I'd thought Gardos was our 3rd choice CB but not so sure now because Koeman brought Yoshida on as sub against Man City despite having Gardos on the bench.

Brought him on for his pace. Gardos better suited to a big front man. Still think Gardos is 3rd choice personally but will use players for different situations.

Brought him on for his pace. Gardos better suited to a big front man. Still think Gardos is 3rd choice personally but will use players for different situations.

Gardos has not proven anything yet-whether he can deal with pace or physicality; whereas Yoshida has been a safe pair of hands whenever called upon. Cant ask for too much more a back-up.

At present, Koeman seems to prefer him to Gardos ???

Of course only being " an occasional player /sub " doesn't help with consistancy, but previously he hasn't over-impressed and has been caught out of position. Something he has in common with Jos H.

However, even if he does become the obvious sub. yet doesn't become " a regular" we may find that Koeman will keep him ...just for that reason. But still think we should try to find someone else, too.

Pointless having Gardos then if that's the case, how many teams have no pace in their attack? I think it's the easy option to say that. Not forgetting of course that it could be argued Welbeck/Giroud are both big men anyway, so Gardos WOULD be suited against them.

At present, Koeman seems to prefer him to Gardos ???

Of course only being " an occasional player /sub " doesn't help with consistancy, but previously he hasn't over-impressed and has been caught out of position. Something he has in common with Jos H.

However, even if he does become the obvious sub. yet doesn't become " a regular" we may find that Koeman will keep him ...just for that reason. But still think we should try to find someone else, too.

He was regularly failing to read high balls when he was in the team every week (notably when we played against Lukaku for West Brom). I think the reason he's getting a run at the moment is that we're not playing aerial-based teams. Will be interesting to see what happens against Everton, if Alderweireld isn't fit by then.

• 3 weeks later...