What tablet are you rocking?

pap

I left Apple behind a while back. My latest beast of choice is a Galaxy Tab S, rocking a 64Gb SD card and the proprietary keyboard. I absolutely love the setup. Sort of makes the laptop redundant for my purposes at least. I finally sent the iPad3 onto the hand-me-down Grey Havens. Juvenile Unit #2 is using that now.

What tablet are you using? Share the fondleslab love.

I've got an iPad from Apple. Can't fault it.

I very much enjoyed my Apple tablet when I had it, and it still has the best App Store by a distance. However, I got to the point where most of the Apps I really used were on Android, or were coming to Android. Hearthstone was the last one to fall.

The missus will never be torn from her iPad love.

iPad Air.

I got it last year as a belated Christmas present from my parents. (Who gave me the money and told me to buy what I wanted.) I never really wanted an Apple product, I've only had Android smart phones so hadn't been bitten by the Apple bug, but used my sister's just before Christmas 2013 and really liked it. My iPad and I are now inseperable. I'm largely a technophobe but it's so simple to use. I'm sure there are better tablets on the market but I'm used to this now.

Got a Galaxy Note 8 with work. Never use it for work purposes, and hardly ever use it full stop.

The battery life is amazingly poor… can go from fully charged to dead in about 2 hours.

I've had different mileage with different chargers on my Tab S. The official one is sound. Keeps a charge all day. Some of the others I've used have charged it quickly, but it has lost charge very quickly afterwards.

The only issue I've got with Samsung is that they prioritise their phones for OS upgrades. Tablets follow long after, which means the HTC M8 (phone) is rocking Android 5.0 while the Tab S isn't :(

I've had different mileage with different chargers on my Tab S. The official one is sound. Keeps a charge all day. Some of the others I've used have charged it quickly, but it has lost charge very quickly afterwards.

The only issue I've got with Samsung is that they prioritise their phones for OS upgrades. Tablets follow long after, which means the HTC M8 (phone) is rocking Android 5.0 while the Tab S isn't :(

yeah, you're right.

I've got the One M8 too, and that's pretty much made the tab redundant - that, and the chromecast.

Will take the tab on holiday with us - but while at home, it very rarely gets used... so much so that I couldnt find the bugger last week

10" Ipad 2 and a Linx 8" Windows Tablet for media, plays the old "pieces of 8 films" loverley. I keep the Ipad 2 going as it works with my iCade (see pic). The newer iPad Airs come with an OS that it doesnt like :(

icade.jpg

Interested in old skool games myself, which is one of the reasons I got an Android tablet. You can emulate anything instead of buying the few things that are available for selection.

Interested in old skool games myself, which is one of the reasons I got an Android tablet. You can emulate anything instead of buying the few things that are available for selection.

Got a pretty decent Gameboy emulator on my iPhone at the minute. Playing Pokémon has made my recent commutes infinitely more enjoyable, even if it does garner a few funny looks from the folks around me heading to their respectable jobs. Gonna crack on with Zelda now I've finished that :)

Will concede though that Android is most likely better for emulators.

as for emulators, would love to be able to play 2 games on my macbook/ipad

Frontier - Elite 2 (Amiga game)

Ghostbusters (C64 game)

Just get a PC and get Elite Dangerous, FFS.

And FWIW, the PC version of Frontier kicked the arse of the Amiga version.

The Atari ST version kicked both their arses.

Did it plums. I will grant you that the ST could kick the Amiga's arse in 3D graphics, but the PC version was beautifully smooth on good hardware. Alas, I only had a lowly 1200, which fell to bits anytime I tried to land on a planet. My mate's PC ran it beautifully.

Did it plums. I will grant you that the ST could kick the Amiga's arse in 3D graphics, but the PC version was beautifully smooth on good hardware. Alas, I only had a lowly 1200, which fell to bits anytime I tried to land on a planet. My mate's PC ran it beautifully.

Obvious troll was obvious *winks*

And good links for Android emulators?

All in the Play Store.

I've mostly been emulating Playstation One software lately FPse is very good, and supports controller input through the USB connection. Haven't really looked at any other stuff.

Met a very interesting chap in the US that was telling me that on PC, everything is emulatable, up to and including the latest consoles. Not really surprising, given that XBox One and PS4 are essentially chopped down PCs, with hardware that isn't a million miles away from replaceable PC components.

I can believe that, it makes sense.

Has the Yak done anything for Android yet?

I was unable to find anything under Llamasoft in the Play Store, so guessing not.

As I said before, the App Store still has the broadest range of apps.

I didn't actually miss Mr Minter's games not being on Droid, but I do now. Cheers :(

Not trying to speak over you pap, no doubt you are more knowledgable than me. But it's worth checking online, outside of app stores for stuff. Particularly with android (obviously check for security here).

I mention this as the emulator I mentioned above is not on the App Store, but downloadable via a browser.

Sorry if this is redundant, but thought it at least worth mentioning/checking.

Not trying to speak over you pap, no doubt you are more knowledgable than me. But it's worth checking online, outside of app stores for stuff. Particularly with android (obviously check for security here).

I mention this as the emulator I mentioned above is not on the App Store, but downloadable via a browser.

Sorry if this is redundant, but thought it at least worth mentioning/checking.

That's fair enough. I've downloaded a couple of apps that were not on the Play Store, but as you say, there can be security risks associated with downloading .apk's from outside the Play Store.

Did what you suggested and as it turns out, Gridrunner is actually available for Android, and not in the Play Store.

That's fair enough. I've downloaded a couple of apps that were not on the Play Store, but as you say, there can be security risks associated with downloading .apk's from outside the Play Store.

Did what you suggested and as it turns out, Gridrunner is actually available for Android, and not in the Play Store.

Result!