Les Reed and the PR machine at SFC

Saint86

If it wasnt for Les Reed we wouldnt be in the Premier league and seen promotions and top ten finishes. He is the only one at the club running the football operation and needs all the backing possible. Reed like everyone else has been totally dused by Koeman saying one thing and doing the other. What Les Reed said in the video about Koemans contract and talking for weeks about it all is all factually correct. Whats happened in the last 10 days is that Everton and Koemans agent went right up to near on £7M on wages. A crazy amount that Sanits would never pay and if they did, there is no guarantee's Koeman would leave after just 1 more season.

However, Reed has had all this time having all these wonderful long chats with. Koeman every day and still didn't manage to close the deal before he went on holiday!

Reed provaricates and fumbles at per Toby and to some extent MP too when he left. Snooze and you lose! This is what Reed does. He doesn't negotiate well and doesn't read the situation allowing others to swoop in and steel his chips....

There are some excellent industrial negotiators out there who would and are indeed making Les look stupid. We need them working for Saints. Les is not up to the business tasks these days and should be shunted sideways to look after recruitment alone....

I agree with Echo article.

Wasn't 'crab lungs' the weirdo who revelled in the meltdown a couple of years ago with the itk 'if you knew what I did it would make your eyes water" nonsense

Got to feel sorry for people like him, the last couple of years must have been really tough.

So, basically, Koeman was a man of his word and wanted to see out his 3-year contract, but Les Reed has driven him out a year early with his 'negotiating skills'.

Lol! Les Reed always reminds me of Gregg Wallace, he is to football what Gregg is to haute cuisine. By the same analogy I suppose Ralph is approaching Ainsley Harriot...

However, Reed has had all this time having all these wonderful long chats with. Koeman every day and still didn't manage to close the deal before he went on holiday!

Reed provaricates and fumbles at per Toby and to some extent MP too when he left. Snooze and you lose! This is what Reed does. He doesn't negotiate well and doesn't read the situation allowing others to swoop in and steel his chips....

There are some excellent industrial negotiators out there who would and are indeed making Les look stupid. We need them working for Saints. Les is not up to the business tasks these days and should be shunted sideways to look after recruitment alone....

I agree with Echo article.

How do you know he doesn't negotiate well - have you witnessed it take place? I am a professional negotiator and the best ones set their parameters so they know what they can go to and when to walk away. Truth is none of us know what is going on behind the scenes but one thing is certainly true - you can negotiate as brilliantly as you like but when another party simply walks in and throws stupid money at the situation then there is little you can do except maximise the situation for yourself.....which at £5m compensation seems like the club has done.

Wasn't 'crab lungs' the weirdo who revelled in the meltdown a couple of years ago with the itk 'if you knew what I did it would make your eyes water" nonsense

Got to feel sorry for people like him, the last couple of years must have been really tough.

I'd suggest you read my posts since. On the whole, I've been very happy with how things turned out and I suspect I wasn't the only one who was pleasantly surprised with how well we've done.

If it's any consolation, I feel sorry for people like yourself who still, after 2 years, feel obliged to judge my character on a few posts I made at the time (which was,for what it's worth, to the best of my knowledge). Oh well.

I'd suggest you read my posts since. On the whole, I've been very happy with how things turned out and I suspect I wasn't the only one who was pleasantly surprised with how well we've done.

If it's any consolation, I feel sorry for people like yourself who still, after 2 years, feel obliged to judge my character on a few posts I made at the time (which was,for what it's worth, to the best of my knowledge). Oh well.

But you don't seem to have learnt anything from past meltdowns, you're still doing it!

a lot of the posters critical of the club seem to advocate spending more money without giving any reasonable business model of how this can happen without asking Kat to dip into her pocket

I kind of wonder what you expect him to say? Nothing is that better.

Let's be honest RK himself said we wanted to stay and was happy for talks etc.

So they have talks, probably get good noises from RK and his agent, so Reed basically says that.

Then Everton come in and just keep throwing money at RK, he changes his mind and what then are the club expected to do?

Even if RK was worth £8 million a year (he's not BTW) and the club offered him that, they are quite right in saying that the Everton owner will just throw more money at him.

The Everton owner has come in with all the big talk and RK is part of him mouthing off, his only solution to their problems is throwing so much money at the wall until it sticks.

Hell, considering RK apparently fell out with several players like Tadic, Mane, Pelle etc. and we are getting names like Emery and De Boer linked the move is probably best all round.

I'm seriously doubting RK had any intention to stay beyond next year anyway so sorting this out now probably saves us having to look for a new manager for a few years.

I'm just wondering what he should say instead? That we don't want a high calibre of manager and one who doesn't fit into the structure and ethos of the club? That language is pretty normal for any executive recruitment scenario if you set aside the football connotations.

I think it is pretty obvious what the plan for the club is:

1. To continue to gradually improve year on year and to become a fixture of the European competition scene

2. To develop our own talent and scout for replacement players in order to achieve point 1 above

3. To become financially self-sufficient through a combination of 1 and 2 above.

That is going to mean that we need to be getting used to a shorter shelf life for both players and managers; yet for those used to MLT, Franny and Jason Dodd et al that is quite a departure. Last year when we failed to land Toby, I thought we had dropped a clanger but now do we hear much about that given the season VVD has had? I am now interested to see who we get in next given we scout managers and players by all accounts.

If and when Koeman goes, feel free to play Les Reed bingo in his next PR vid

sentences to this effect (full house)

'High calibre of candidate'

'More/larger volume of applicants than ever before'

'Right fit for the club'

'Buy into our ethos/strategy'

'Always planned for this eventuality'

'Attractive club/proposition'

Single words (one line)

'Structure'

'Applicants'

'Excited/exciting'

'Prospective'

'Plan'

Etc etc

Happily. He has a pretty decent track record.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk