Les Reed and the PR machine at SFC

Saint86

What they need to do is sign all of our key targets before Ronald takes them to Everton with their mega bucks. That is seriously key.

Sounds like they will have different (more expensive) targets.

Besides why would we sign anyone before allowing our new Manager to have a say on it?

How much would we have to pay Everton to take Les Reed away?

I know he is revered by some on here almost as much as he wants to be but this Echo comment sums up my feelings about him:

Reed is a Machiavellian character. That can drive him to personal success but it can also mean that everyone around him is dispensable. He's done a remarkable job of promoting his own image. Everything good that happens at the club is his doing and anything that goes wrong is other people's fault. Anyone who falls out with him, and in the end everyone does, is labeled selfish and money-grabbing. As long as he’s here, we’ll not keep our managers, players or staff. In the case of the managers, I’m not sure he even wants them to stay long as he begins to see them as a threat when they take some of the credit for the team’s success away from him.

Who has said that?

Even simpletons like you can work out that there will be no 'closing the gap' when everybody is getting the same slice of the pie.

I've said it - there will be a "closing the gap" in terms of finances from bottom to top, because the difference between bottom and top will be reduced by the extra money the rest are getting in comparison to the top sides. Also, that money will be available for player wages because it's income recognised by FFP - so the limitations clubs have had on expenditure from investment (the ones Everton are ignoring for some reason) are set at a far higher level - we'd have to eat up the extra £100m or so before hitting the investment ceiling. What that basically means is that anyone can buy a decent enough side to try and challenge for the title, if they get their recruitment right.

It's how the rest choose to use it that will be the difference - you can build a side to challenge for the Premier League with a lot less than £100m, you just need sh111tloads of luck as well, as Leicester showed. But it is absolutely a fact that all Prem clubs can, at the moment, with a bunch of players under contract from the pre-new-tv deal era, pick and choose who and if they want to throw their extra cash at. If you want the player more than Man City do, you can, by all means chuck a pile of that £100m at them for a new deal - the problem is then what you do with the rest of the squad who will all want those kind of deals too.

The gap is closing, it still doesn't mean the top sides have lost the massive cash advantage they have overall - they're just not quite as significantly richer than the rest as they were - but they can still afford to do more of the massive money deals if they want to get players to leave their rivals. All that's happening there is the pretence of it being for trophies or Champions League is now out of the window - just look at Zlatan's opinion of the Europa League from his book (basically "Zlatan doesn't play on Thursdays"), and him signing for Man U for evidence of that.

Sounds like they will have different (more expensive) targets.

Besides why would we sign anyone before allowing our new Manager to have a say on it?

Because we have had a very successful recruitment programme over the past 2 seasons which hasn't necessarily involved the manager's opinion? Though it did get a bit more Netherlandy and Cuco-ish when Koeman took over...

I've said it - there will be a "closing the gap" in terms of finances from bottom to top, because the difference between bottom and top will be reduced by the extra money the rest are getting in comparison to the top sides. Also, that money will be available for player wages because it's income recognised by FFP - so the limitations clubs have had on expenditure from investment (the ones Everton are ignoring for some reason) are set at a far higher level - we'd have to eat up the extra £100m or so before hitting the investment ceiling. What that basically means is that anyone can buy a decent enough side to try and challenge for the title, if they get their recruitment right.

It's how the rest choose to use it that will be the difference - you can build a side to challenge for the Premier League with a lot less than £100m, you just need sh111tloads of luck as well, as Leicester showed. But it is absolutely a fact that all Prem clubs can, at the moment, with a bunch of players under contract from the pre-new-tv deal era, pick and choose who and if they want to throw their extra cash at. If you want the player more than Man City do, you can, by all means chuck a pile of that £100m at them for a new deal - the problem is then what you do with the rest of the squad who will all want those kind of deals too.

The gap is closing, it still doesn't mean the top sides have lost the massive cash advantage they have overall - they're just not quite as significantly richer than the rest as they were - but they can still afford to do more of the massive money deals if they want to get players to leave their rivals. All that's happening there is the pretence of it being for trophies or Champions League is now out of the window - just look at Zlatan's opinion of the Europa League from his book (basically "Zlatan doesn't play on Thursdays"), and him signing for Man U for evidence of that.

That all seems fair, but IMO what all this extra cash means is that the owner and her cohorts are considerably richer. We are unlikely to spend anywhere near the funds in.Her prerogative of course

That all seems fair, but IMO what all this extra cash means is that the owner and her cohorts are considerably richer. We are unlikely to spend anywhere near the funds in.Her prerogative of course

They haven't made any money out of us yet, six years on, but crack on.

I know he is revered by some on here almost as much as he wants to be but this Echo comment sums up my feelings about him:

Reed is a Machiavellian character. That can drive him to personal success but it can also mean that everyone around him is dispensable. He's done a remarkable job of promoting his own image. Everything good that happens at the club is his doing and anything that goes wrong is other people's fault. Anyone who falls out with him, and in the end everyone does, is labeled selfish and money-grabbing. As long as he’s here, we’ll not keep our managers, players or staff. In the case of the managers, I’m not sure he even wants them to stay long as he begins to see them as a threat when they take some of the credit for the team’s success away from him.

This all sounds very interesting. Where is your evidence? We have seemed to keep players and staff. Players and managers leave clubs all of the time yet the mighty Les has nothing to do with them, so what gives?

No other club our size and thus position in the football pyramid has had the kind of talent we have had. Pretty simple really.

That was superb and about sums him up.

Oh well, onto the next one.

I feel like I'm in a parallel universe here. We did just finish sixth didn't we? And qualify for Europe again? The board did manage to replace our last exciting, up and coming manager with another exciting up and coming manager who has been the only one to stay with us for two seasons since Dave Jones?

Now we are possibly losing our manager to a team with more prestige and more money and this means the board are useless? Okay.

If it wasnt for Les Reed we wouldnt be in the Premier league and seen promotions and top ten finishes. He is the only one at the club running the football operation and needs all the backing possible. Reed like everyone else has been totally dused by Koeman saying one thing and doing the other. What Les Reed said in the video about Koemans contract and talking for weeks about it all is all factually correct. Whats happened in the last 10 days is that Everton and Koemans agent went right up to near on £7M on wages. A crazy amount that Sanits would never pay and if they did, there is no guarantee's Koeman would leave after just 1 more season.

Pluto, your post is reassuring in that it is clear that some can see things using their head and not their heart. The sooner some realise that we are not able to compete financially the better. Life's not fair. We all know that yet some don't apply it to football.

Jesus Christ, what's wrong with some people on here. Cannot express an opinion without being belittled or someone making a sarcastic remark.

Perhaps it's because you're an utter cu_nt to is loving what's happening to justify you're own warped take on the situation after being shown up as a right cu_nt with your whinging and whining and make believe ITK bull when MP left.

Go back to sucking Cortese's **** your tw_at.

Les reed needs to go is a complete waste of space.

Looks like the asylum has left the computer unattended

Regardless of what's happened, having just seen the awards dinner video when Les was asked about how RK had done last season..and his deadpan "OK" reply, it just seemed an odd way to answer the question. At least the way he said it was. He either can't deliver a gag/amusing quip or he meant it. The response from the attendees was totally flat, and I'm pretty sure this wasn't down to editing as it was on the club YouTube site. If he was joking, I've not heard a joke fall quite so flat in a while. If he wasn't joking, probably not the time or place for that sort of reply. Makes you wonder if he's not the easiest to work with.

From the ITK snippets that have appeared, the glowing praise from Les about Poch and the non-praise given to RK after the season was done, I definitely think Les and the board were looking at another manager/coach/department head some time ago. Ron is going to move on and he will be the bad guy in it all when really, it has probably been on the cards anyway. Reed may, as someone suggest above, a Machiavellian character but football is a dirty business and to move upwards, we need dirty players at the top to compete. It will clearly be dressed up that we (SFC) are the victims and the large majority of fans are going to play ball and hate Ronald. Nothing wrong with that as football feeds itself on this sort of thing. The big bonus for the club is that they get to move on and make the decision they wanted to without having to fire anyone and make themselves look bad. A win win situation if ever there was one.

From the ITK snippets that have appeared I definitely think Les and the board were looking at another manager/coach/department head some time ago. Ron is going to move on and he will be the bad guy in it all when really, it has probably been on the cards anyway. Reed may, as someone suggest above, a Machiavellian character but football is a dirty business and to move upwards, we need dirty players at the top to compete. It will clearly be dressed up that we (SFC) are the victims and the large majority of fans are going to play ball and hate Ronald. Nothing wrong with that as football feeds itself on this sort of thing. The big bonus for the club is that they get to move on and make the decision they wanted to without having to fire anyone and make themselves look bad. A win win situation if ever there was one.

Very close to the truth here

From the ITK snippets that have appeared, the glowing praise from Les about Poch and the non-praise given to RK after the season was done, I definitely think Les and the board were looking at another manager/coach/department head some time ago. Ron is going to move on and he will be the bad guy in it all when really, it has probably been on the cards anyway. Reed may, as someone suggest above, a Machiavellian character but football is a dirty business and to move upwards, we need dirty players at the top to compete. It will clearly be dressed up that we (SFC) are the victims and the large majority of fans are going to play ball and hate Ronald. Nothing wrong with that as football feeds itself on this sort of thing. The big bonus for the club is that they get to move on and make the decision they wanted to without having to fire anyone and make themselves look bad. A win win situation if ever there was one.

We already know that the club monitors coaches constantly in case we need to go and get a new one. There's also a persistent rumour about personal tension between Reed and Koeman.

Regardless of what's happened, having just seen the awards dinner video when Les was asked about how RK had done last season..and his deadpan "OK" reply, it just seemed an odd way to answer the question. At least the way he said it was. He either can't deliver a gag/amusing quip or he meant it. The response from the attendees was totally flat, and I'm pretty sure this wasn't down to editing as it was on the club YouTube site. If he was joking, I've not heard a joke fall quite so flat in a while.

It was obviously an attempt at a joke that fell flat

Can't believe some people want Les Reed out... What planet are you on!!!

Planet Cortese.

Just a few saps who never got the "I told you so" moment they so desperately craved and just will not ever let go.

It might be next season, it might be five years time, but the year we will have a dud season they will be on here partying in the street like it was Charles and Di's wedding.

It's all gone wrong since the Cortese left, you know. We are failing we are we are we are we are. Why aren't we failing?

Does anyone know what the latest '5 year plan' actually is?

Does it involve getting managers in for one to two seasons only? If so the 'plan' is likely to fall on the ground at any time?

The 'Plan' seems to be half baked with little detail of how it will be achieved.

Everything we do should work around the plan, it it doesn't fit then it's not put in place.

We now need to learn lessons regarding being used.

I'm no expert on contracts of this nature (not that I believe it is a strength of Les Reed) however, buyout clauses would appear to need to be very robust... This policy would also serve as test of the expected loyalty from managers. If you want to jump ship there is a hefty cost to pay and in this day and age 3m would be derisory. 3m is small change, let's face it....

Planet Cortese.

Just a few saps who never got the "I told you so" moment they so desperately craved and just will not ever let go.

It might be next season, it might be five years time, but the year we will have a dud season they will be on here partying in the street like it was Charles and Di's wedding.

It's all gone wrong since the Cortese left, you know. We are failing we are we are we are we are. Why aren't we failing?

I think you're the one having trouble letting go of things.

#everysip

Must be lovely to be in always sfc and CB frys world where everything club does is wonderful. Just because we don't agree on everything club does doesn't mean we aren't saints fans. I think club could do more to keep people and I think Cortese for all his faults did a lot of good things that les reed struggles on. I also think that we will struggle to replace Koeman with someone as good. Sold so many players and got the league positions he did was a miracle imo. I hope I'm wrong and things get better but as someone who pays a lot of money to go to every game I'm very down about it at the moment and I think the club is developing more into a feeder club than it ever has.

With all this talk of ambition perhaps the club look back at the season and feel that Ron didn't live up to theirs. There was a clear chance at top four with many big teams not firing on all cylinders, that run of bad form really scuppered what was an ideal opportunity, look how close we actually got. Incredibly close! Combine that with the failed cup competitions, and the way we bombed out of the European Cup playing some truly, embarrassingly bad football - perhaps Les and co might feel Ron didn't deliver, despite a great finishing position in the end. I'm sure Les was joking when he said "ok", but perhaps deep down that's what he really means, "he did okay but not as well as he should have".

I wonder if he will wax Lyrical about Koeman's coaching ability in a season or two, the way he did with Poch recently?

Must be lovely to be in always sfc and CB frys world where everything club does is wonderful. Just because we don't agree on everything club does doesn't mean we aren't saints fans. I think club could do more to keep people and I think Cortese for all his faults did a lot of good things that les reed struggles on. I also think that we will struggle to replace Koeman with someone as good. Sold so many players and got the league positions he did was a miracle imo. I hope I'm wrong and things get better but as someone who pays a lot of money to go to every game I'm very down about it at the moment and I think the club is developing more into a feeder club than it ever has.

Would you rather our players and manager were poor enough that no one wanted them?

Doubt it , as you would be asking for us to get better ones..

They haven't made any money out of us yet, six years on, but crack on.

Lol, of course not. The club is still worth 30m and no assets then. It is not just about taking out 20k a year.

I admire loyalty in people but sometimes it can be too much.You would be the ideal chauffeur doffing your cap as you open the door to the boss. An questioning 'Firms man'

This is comedy gold. The old woman Old Nick reappears to roll out his same old tired sh**e that is based on nothing more than his own deluded parallel universe. Crab Lungs reappears with his sky is falling in sh**e. Ditto with the usual suspects who disappeared when things were going well. Even the great Saint Richmond has made a cameo appearance.

Some of you are utter dins.......trying to pass off Saints successes as 'luck' and in spite of the backroom team (including Les Reed). On the UI Patred is in his element ripping Reed a new one - conveniently forgetting the role that the whole team has made over the past few years that has resulted in our unprecedented success (7 years of continual improvement).

Gotta laugh - quite a few on these boards truly stretch the belief that they are really Saints fans - they seem to revel in it when things are tough.

Of course your approach of a never-ending flow of negativity is much better. Let's not lose track of how bad things are.

Not really. I love it when my football club does well.

You and others are in raptures whenever things go wrong.

#everysap

As do I. Though don't let that meddle with your weird agenda.

Never been in raptures about things going wrong, though like anyone else on here, I reserve the right to give an opinion.

Off you go now, back to your little club of Internet bullies :thumbup:

#everysip

This is comedy gold. The old woman Old Nick reappears to roll out his same old tired sh**e that is based on nothing more than his own deluded parallel universe. Crab Lungs reappears with his sky is falling in sh**e. Ditto with the usual suspects who disappeared when things were going well. Even the great Saint Richmond has made a cameo appearance.

Some of you are utter dins.......trying to pass off Saints successes as 'luck' and in spite of the backroom team (including Les Reed). On the UI Patred is in his element ripping Reed a new one - conveniently forgetting the role that the whole team has made over the past few years that has resulted in our unprecedented success (7 years of continual improvement).

Gotta laugh - quite a few on these boards truly stretch the belief that they are really Saints fans - they seem to revel in it when things are tough.

Who are you? Another 'Firms Man' lol

The owner and club can do no wrong blah blah blah.

I pointed out that the owner has done very well out of owning the football club I have invested 50 years in.

I was there in the bad days, turning up and paying to watch dross but supported the team.

Edited by OldNick

Does anyone know what the latest '5 year plan' actually is?

Does it involve getting managers in for one to two seasons only? If so the 'plan' is likely to fall on the ground at any time?

Longevity is not a recipe for success any more. Fergie/Wenger and all that one man runs a club crap is gone. It's a lovely thought but this is the Jose/Pep era now. Managers dont want to stay for longer than 3 years or so because they can get pay rises elsewhere if they are doing well and know full well they could stagnate and ruin their reputation. Clubs dont want them to stagnate and if they are doing well then a better calibre of manager becomes available. Short term managers and long term people overseeing them is most logical and successful formula. I imagine this 5 year plan realistically involves 2 different managers.

Longevity is not a recipe for success any more. Fergie/Wenger and all that one man runs a club crap is gone. It's a lovely thought but this is the Jose/Pep era now. Managers dont want to stay for longer than 3 years or so because they can get pay rises elsewhere if they are doing well and know full well they could stagnate and ruin their reputation. Clubs dont want them to stagnate and if they are doing well then a better calibre of manager becomes available. Short term managers and long term people overseeing them is most logical and successful formula. I imagine this 5 year plan realistically involves 2 different managers.

A cursory comparison of the trophy cabinets of Arsenal and Chelsea demonstrate this perfectly but still people utterly obsessed with tie him down tie him down tie him down.

It's like management strategy run by Miss Whiplash.

A cursory comparison of the trophy cabinets of Arsenal and Chelsea demonstrate this perfectly but still people utterly obsessed with tie him down tie him down tie him down.

It's like management strategy run by Miss Whiplash.

I think you are right, and your assessment of AVB joining was as I see it.

If and when Koeman goes, feel free to play Les Reed bingo in his next PR vid

sentences to this effect (full house)

'High calibre of candidate'

'More/larger volume of applicants than ever before'

'Right fit for the club'

'Buy into our ethos/strategy'

'Always planned for this eventuality'

'Attractive club/proposition'

Single words (one line)

'Structure'

'Applicants'

'Excited/exciting'

'Prospective'

'Plan'

Etc etc

So, basically, Koeman was a man of his word and wanted to see out his 3-year contract, but Les Reed has driven him out a year early with his 'negotiating skills'.

Not really - he was never going to be allowed just to run his contract down, and if we had done that you'd have been the first to moan, probably for an entire season.

When people, and plenty do, say about players and managers 'why didn't we tie him down earlier' - well this is what that can look like.

That said, no one is forcing him to sign for Everton - he had a contract on the table from us.