Les Reed and the PR machine at SFC

Saint86

Dear lord, life goes on: the club is not about one individual. All you people ready to jump off the ledge: is it pure coincidence that we have continued to improve despite the Board you are so quick to put the boot into?

Judging by people who are obviously in the know this is something that has been brewing for a while and I am absolutely certain the club have a successor lined up that can, hopefully, continue to move us upwards.

The Board are damned if they do and damned of they don't and surprise, surprise the same old suspects pop their heads above the bridge at this time of year every year and then disappear when things go well.

RK does not come out of this well and we'll see how he does at a club with much higher expectations.

Resulting to petty arguments. I hope I'm wrong but I think the board can do better and I'm worried as I love club. You think it's okay. That's fine.

Saying all of the success of the last two years is "in spite of" the management infrastructure and long term strategy of the club is pretty fu cking petty personally but carry on.

Not attractive enough to keep chambers, Clyne, Toby, Shaw, Lovren, Morgan, lallana, lambert, mark Radcliffe Physio, Paul Mitchell, poch and Koeman and it seems wanyama.

You seem to not understand that while we are a very attractive proposition, there are bigger clubs out there that can offer more money, which seems to be the driving factor with most people and therefore makes those clubs even more attractive than us. How many of those listed have gone to Crystal Palace or WBA for example? Actually I am sure you do understand but are just being obtuse.

I do I would love it to work out. I go to every game. Why would I want us to lose. I'm just gutted about Koeman.

Maybe you attach too much. What has club done wrong? We have been unbelievably successful in recent years and that attracts predators but you and others in cloud cuckoo land don't seem able to accept that and point finger at very people who have been instrumental in that success. Baffling.

You seem to not understand that while we are a very attractive proposition, there are bigger clubs out there that can offer more money, which seems to be the driving factor with most people and therefore makes those clubs even more attractive than us. How many of those listed have gone to Crystal Palace or WBA for example? Actually I am sure you do understand but are just being obtuse.

I agree people will leave but that many in 3 years is ridiculous.

Maybe you attach too much. What has club done wrong? We have been unbelievably successful in recent years and that attracts predators but you and others in cloud cuckoo land don't seem able to accept that and point finger at very people who have been instrumental in that success. Baffling.

Cortese was instrumental and Marcus. Les reed and board appointing Koeman did very well. The recruitment been very good. Cedric and Martina for Clyne, not so much or clasie for Morgan. I don't think anyone will sell as many players as Koeman and finish 6th hope I'm wrong.

Saying all of the success of the last two years is "in spite of" the management infrastructure and long term strategy of the club is pretty fu cking petty personally but carry on.

Don't think so. Koeman has lost all those players and finished 7th and 6th.

Yes, we all like Ron, and we all want Ron to stay, but there is another angle. Koeman has a year to run on his contract. As it stands he is a lame duck manager, leaving in twelve months time, moving on to the promised 'bigger job'. The club has to avoid this last twelve months running down, in the same way it does with a player, though for differing reasons. So, either sign him up for a longer term contract, to keep him longer term or at least make it look that way, and thereby eliminating the 'lame duck', or move him on now.

So, we've offered the apparently longer contract, but Everton have come along and gazumped us. We get some compensation if he goes, and we don't have a lame duck. We bring in a new manager when we are on the crest of the wave, sixth and Europe, whereas in twelve months we might be crashing and burning, with the manager, Koeman, moving out and players not committed.

A new manager in today's position is coming in when we can bargain high stakes, but in a year our hand might be so much weaker that we cannot attract the same level of candidate. So, has Les Reed played a good hand here? Only he and a few others really know the possibility of Ron staying on for more than another year, but if Les reckons Koeman would be gone this time next year, then maybe he is playing a blinder.

So, yes, he will come out with the PR speak, but, TBH, what else can he do or say?

J

Can people please stop buying the PR BS that the club put out. Seriously.

The warning signs were there for most surely when Les Reed spontaneously decided to put out a PR piece saying that, 'everyone was on board and that we'd stepped up and were looking to push on to europa etc.'

He does it every time... As soon as he made that video and released it surely people twigged by now that their was bad news coming?!?!! Its his pattern, big up the club, himself and how well things are going and that way he has his positive spin on it before the real stories get out there. Its a very subtle character assassination and then afterwards they use club sources like blackmore to force it home.

The truth is somewhere in the murky area of Koeman wasn't doing what Les wanted over the academy, there was trouble behind the scenes with a few players, mid season blip, we aren't paying Koeman what he feels he's worth and what Everton are paying him is ridiculous.

Now I am not saying that I want to club to spend irresponsibly to get things done. I am happy we don't. But what I hate is the way that man thinks he can undermine every edifice of the club that falls out of line with him. He does the same trick every time and sets them up to be the fall guys before the bad news gets out. It is his job to drive the club onwards which he has continued... but it also his job to get key players and staff on board for the long haul and he has repeatedly failed in this. Rather than play these games and undermine fan favourites he should just be bloody honest about it. It is a really shoddy way to treat both the players/staff involved and the fans.

Les did it immediately before Lambert (right before ST deadline), lallana, shaw, chambers etc all left. He did it with Clyne as a carbon copy of "poch's contract" saga... And he's done it again with Ronald. Its the same crap routine every time and frankly every time he speaks to the mass fanbase without need is a sign that there is bad news coming.

Most fans have cottoned on to this now at least, and you can even see it on the daily mail threads where saints fans are laying it at his feet and pointing to his interview as the sign. He is sadly a chronic liar and I can't stand it about him!

But when all is said and done, he is our Levy. A complete shiester and knife in the shadows, but he is continuously guiding the club onwards. I don't knock him for that, he has done a good job for us since Cortese left all in all. But I just wish the fans would see him for what he is rather than some fecking almighty "do no wrong" saviour. All these players and managers that leave us are not bad people, the club actively set them up as the fall guys to cover themselves from fan discontent at what the board see as our limits. The fans want more, the board can't deliver it, and therefore they blame everything they can rather than just accept it.

Very concise and evidently accurate .....

As I said before, Les Read is the problem and not the solution, he is consistently drifting from crisis to crisis and now his negotiating skills, man management or both must be called into question ....

Enough is enough ....

Having said that Koeman is a total let down and is culpable for blatantly going back on his word to the fans....

We need ultimately now need someone a lot smarter than Les Read in charge of contracts for he is obviously way out of his depth.....

Other clubs do not have this massive turmoil and loss of top members of staff like we do - not on our scale or regularity.....

J

As I said before, Les Read is the problem and not the solution, he is consistently drifting from crisis to crisis and now his negotiating skills, man management or both must be called into question ....

Enough is enough ....

Having said that Koeman is a total let down and is culpable for blatantly going back on his word to the fans....

We need ultimately now need someone a lot smarter than Les Read in charge of contracts for he is obviously way out of his depth.....

Other clubs do not have this massive turmoil and loss of top members of staff like we do - not on our scale or regularity.....

The man has point.

I can see both sides, likewise the 'lame duck' situation above, which isn't very appealing.

Cortese was instrumental and Marcus. Les reed and board appointing Koeman did very well. The recruitment been very good. Cedric and Martina for Clyne, not so much or clasie for Morgan. I don't think anyone will sell as many players as Koeman and finish 6th hope I'm wrong.

The Italian had us bimbling around in 9th place when he scarpered, the new regime have taken us stratospherically higher in comparison.

Leicester won the league in their second season after promotion, Cortese had us absolutely nowhere near in our second season, just West Brom/Stoke standard and saddled with fat contracts for layabouts and wastrels like Osvaldo and the Uruguayan, plus a commercial operation making less money than Championship clubs. The idea he was delivering some ambition is a myth.

Don't think so. Koeman has lost all those players and finished 7th and 6th.

It's just inconvenient to your argument that the current management team of the club has delivered success and growth year on year. You hate that. Fine. Doesn't stop it being deliciously true.

The warning signs were there for most surely when Les Reed spontaneously decided to put out a PR piece saying that, 'everyone was on board and that we'd stepped up and were looking to push on to europa etc.'

He does it every time... As soon as he made that video and released it surely people twigged by now that their was bad news coming?!?!! Its his pattern, big up the club, himself and how well things are going and that way he has his positive spin on it before the real stories get out there. Its a very subtle character assassination and then afterwards they use club sources like blackmore to force it home.

The truth is somewhere in the murky area of Koeman wasn't doing what Les wanted over the academy, there was trouble behind the scenes with a few players, mid season blip, we aren't paying Koeman what he feels he's worth and what Everton are paying him is ridiculous.

Now I am not saying that I want to club to spend irresponsibly to get things done. I am happy we don't. But what I hate is the way that man thinks he can undermine every edifice of the club that falls out of line with him. He does the same trick every time and sets them up to be the fall guys before the bad news gets out. It is his job to drive the club onwards which he has continued... but it also his job to get key players and staff on board for the long haul and he has repeatedly failed in this. Rather than play these games and undermine fan favourites he should just be bloody honest about it. It is a really shoddy way to treat both the players/staff involved and the fans.

Les did it immediately before Lambert (right before ST deadline), lallana, shaw, chambers etc all left. He did it with Clyne as a carbon copy of "poch's contract" saga... And he's done it again with Ronald. Its the same crap routine every time and frankly every time he speaks to the mass fanbase without need is a sign that there is bad news coming.

Most fans have cottoned on to this now at least, and you can even see it on the daily mail threads where saints fans are laying it at his feet and pointing to his interview as the sign. He is sadly a chronic liar and I can't stand it about him!

But when all is said and done, he is our Levy. A complete shiester and knife in the shadows, but he is continuously guiding the club onwards. I don't knock him for that, he has done a good job for us since Cortese left all in all. But I just wish the fans would see him for what he is rather than some fecking almighty "do no wrong" saviour. All these players and managers that leave us are not bad people, the club actively set them up as the fall guys to cover themselves from fan discontent at what the board see as our limits. The fans want more, the board can't deliver it, and therefore they blame everything they can rather than just accept it.

I stopped at spontaneuous. The rest of this thread is the usual mix of melts, look at me, and I told you so.

J

Enough is enough ....

What exactly is our current crisis? We do still have a manager yes?

I think the board on a whole have done a decent job, the framework LR has put in place is an excellent one for us. We have been improving every year despite all the drama.

Ideally we would spend a bit more but we have to cut our cloth.

I would say however is that they appear very naive their PR is ****ing appalling. Les and Ralph should never be allowed near a microphone again, they make themselves look like ****s 90% of the time.

I think the board on a whole have done a decent job, the framework LR has put in place is an excellent one for us. We have been improving every year despite all the drama.

Ideally we would spend a bit more but we have to cut our cloth.

I would say however is that they appear very naive their PR is ****ing appalling. Les and Ralph should never be allowed near a microphone again, they make themselves look like ****s 90% of the time.

Agree with this. Can't knock the structure and as painful as it is for some people, we have been extremely successful. Do wish they'd knock these ****y videos on the head though.

Also, if we get anyone good they will be gone as soon as someone comes in for them but I think under our conditions, it's almost impossible to match Koemans achievements here. Poch didn't have to sell under Cortese and had lots of investment.

It wasn't his money

Also, if we get anyone good they will be gone as soon as someone comes in for them but I think under our conditions, it's almost impossible to match Koemans achievements here. Poch didn't have to sell under Cortese and had lots of investment.

One club came in for one of our best players under Cortsese........ do you need me to finish off the sentence?

J

Enough is enough ....

If you are going to criticise Mr Reed's intelligence, at least spell his name right.

J

Enough is enough ....

Les Reed was appointed as Director of Football back in the Cortese days. Since then Cortese has gone, Pardew, Adkins (unfairly), Pochettino and now possibley Koeman has gone; a significant number of "crucial" players have gone. But in that time we have moved from League 1 to 6th in the Premiership. How exactly is Les Reed part of the problem?

Les Reed was appointed as Director of Football back in the Cortese days. Since then Cortese has gone, Pardew, Adkins (unfairly), Pochettino and now possibley Koeman has gone; a significant number of "crucial" players have gone. But in that time we have moved from League 1 to 6th in the Premiership. How exactly is Les Reed part of the problem?

No no. You see it's obvious that Reed has been lucky every time. Because it couldn't possibly have been good planning.

There is a growing confidence at Southampton that the old order so rudely shaken up by Leicester City is changing for them too. For instance, Everton’s interest in appointing Ronald Koeman was considered so unlikely to tempt the Southampton manager that key figures at the club cannot recall there even being a meeting about it. The polite answer being that they would not expect to lose a player to Everton, and certainly not their manager.

#drinkitin #everysip #meetingsarecheating

#drinkitin #everysip #meetingsarecheating

And what's wrong with the information in that piece? I think it was suitable for the club to consider an unlikely destination for manager or players. Why would they worry about it? What was it about Everton - before they started throwing out stupid money - that would make them at all desirable.

And don't tell me history and size. The fact is they finished 11th, they are almost certain to lose their best attacking player, and they are at best a remote chance of improving into a European place next season, even IF Koeman decides to go there.

Spurs, Chelsea, City, United, Arsenal, Liverpool will 99% finish ahead of them again. Obviously West Ham have a decent project going. Anyone of three or four other teams could push into the top six or seven, including us obviously. No guarantee Everton will be among them at all.

There was ZERO reason to think any move by the Toffees represented a threat, until they upped their money offer.

Edited by GarrettIvo

WARNING : Now you've let yourself in for it :scared: ...coming up with a sane and sensible argument like that ....

.........some of this lot will only be content when we're relegated and they can say .....I told you so.

You mean significantly over-achieving year on year, to the envy of much better resourced clubs?

yes. absolutely

would love to be in on a meeting which involves targets for the short to medium term for players and staff.

Hit the nail on the head.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Yes, we all like Ron, and we all want Ron to stay, but there is another angle. Koeman has a year to run on his contract. As it stands he is a lame duck manager, leaving in twelve months time, moving on to the promised 'bigger job'. The club has to avoid this last twelve months running down, in the same way it does with a player, though for differing reasons. So, either sign him up for a longer term contract, to keep him longer term or at least make it look that way, and thereby eliminating the 'lame duck', or move him on now.

So, we've offered the apparently longer contract, but Everton have come along and gazumped us. We get some compensation if he goes, and we don't have a lame duck. We bring in a new manager when we are on the crest of the wave, sixth and Europe, whereas in twelve months we might be crashing and burning, with the manager, Koeman, moving out and players not committed.

A new manager in today's position is coming in when we can bargain high stakes, but in a year our hand might be so much weaker that we cannot attract the same level of candidate. So, has Les Reed played a good hand here? Only he and a few others really know the possibility of Ron staying on for more than another year, but if Les reckons Koeman would be gone this time next year, then maybe he is playing a blinder.

So, yes, he will come out with the PR speak, but, TBH, what else can he do or say?

I don't think Les has 'played a good hand' as such, but I do agree with your very good post that Everton's interest this summer could actually be a very good for us as there was a chance that Koeman would see out his contract but not sign another creating the dead duck scenario you describe.

No other club consistently loses it key personnel like we now do

It just does not happen.

No other club our size and thus position in the football pyramid has had the kind of talent we have had. Pretty simple really.