Anyone a vegan?

whelk

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Fan The Flames said:

But the point of meatless meat is to try and entice meateaters to try meatless products. That's where companies are trying to grow the market.

Why would a meat eater want to try a meat replacement that was made in a factory? Do you not understand how mental that is?

18 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Why would a meat eater want to try a meat replacement that was made in a factory? Do you not understand how mental that is?

Not for me, never tried them but plenty do, that's why there are products for sale. How long they will last is another thing, but at the moment they are bought by the veggiecurious, people wanting a perceived healthier option, people wanting a more sustainable option. It's just processed food, I can't see the mental in it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Not for me, never tried them but plenty do, that's why there are products for sale. How long they will last is another thing, but at the moment they are bought by the veggiecurious, people wanting a perceived healthier option, people wanting a more sustainable option. It's just processed food, I can't see the mental in it.

What could be more healthy than meat? Something made in a laboratory from a load of chemicals to look like meat. It’s like saying going on sunbeds is more healthy than being outside in the fresh air. Insane 🤣🤣

Edited by Turkish

11 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

My wife cooked non-chicken chicken a few weeks ago, just to try it out. I thought it was pretty poor, and to me more like the fish in fish fingers.

Never buy anything other than cod fillet fish fingers.  Has held me in good stead throughout life and will pass on to my grandchildren if/when they arrive

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

What could be more healthy than meat? Something made in a laboratory from a load of chemicals to look like meat. It’s like saying going on sunbeds is more healthy than being outside in the fresh air. Insane 🤣🤣

Your supposing being a healthy choice is the only consideration when buying food. I like beef with potato and a nice veg like turnip, but I much prefer them wrapped in shortcrust pastry, crimped at the top and made in a factory. Insane.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Your supposing being a healthy choice is the only consideration when buying food. I like beef with potato and a nice veg like turnip, but I much prefer them wrapped in shortcrust pastry, crimped at the top and made in a factory. 

Like anything “bad” now and again that won’t hurt enjoy a pasty once a month. That’s completely different. 

What reason could there Possibly be for anyone to swap a natural food like meat for a man made substitute? 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

I think you're missing the point. If you're bothered about 80 billion animals a year living miserable lives and being slaughtered so that most humans can eat meat, rather than some of the resources needed to feed those animals going to the 800+ milion humans who are hungry, meat substitutes seem like at least part of the solution. Obviously many of these products are just junk food, like the meat products that they seek to replace.

Also, if you believe/are bothered about climate change, eliminating animal products from your diet is the single most effective thing you can do to mitigate your personal impact. Animal agriculture causes more greenhouse gases than all the world's car/plane/shipping/train emissions put together. 

Meat consumption obviously has health benefits for humans, but none that can't also be found in a non-meat diet. Of course, meat also has well documented links to a number of serious health issues.

The vast majority of meat consumed is a cheap factory farmed product - very difficult to describe anything about that process as 'natural'. Dairy products too - milk production starts with a farmer sticking his/her fore-arm up a cow's arse. I wouldn't call that 'natural' myself.

1 hour ago, Golactico said:

I think you're missing the point. If you're bothered about 80 billion animals a year living miserable lives and being slaughtered so that most humans can eat meat, rather than some of the resources needed to feed those animals going to the 800+ milion humans who are hungry, meat substitutes seem like at least part of the solution. Obviously many of these products are just junk food, like the meat products that they seek to replace.

Also, if you believe/are bothered about climate change, eliminating animal products from your diet is the single most effective thing you can do to mitigate your personal impact. Animal agriculture causes more greenhouse gases than all the world's car/plane/shipping/train emissions put together. 

Meat consumption obviously has health benefits for humans, but none that can't also be found in a non-meat diet. Of course, meat also has well documented links to a number of serious health issues.

The vast majority of meat consumed is a cheap factory farmed product - very difficult to describe anything about that process as 'natural'. Dairy products too - milk production starts with a farmer sticking his/her fore-arm up a cow's arse. I wouldn't call that 'natural' myself.

You’re a vegan then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Golactico said:

Out of the mouth of a vegan, saving the planet one mouthful of tofu at a time

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The vegans cant type to give abuse as they are all too tired to do it.

Vegans are like people who have given up smoking, just preach.

Also I suspect they also are connected/same to Just stop oil, and the other madcap climate people.

They all think they are right and everyone should have to follow what they want.

IMO if you want to be a vegan, fair play but stop trying to stop everybody else.

On 31/10/2023 at 07:54, Turkish said:

Eating meat from an animal whose main diet is factory produced is pretty insane too.

6 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

I guess you could feed cattle with baked beans, not sure you’d want to hang about if you did. 

The environmental impact from here methane is an issue now. With beans?

In the future, aliens arrive in orbit to see how MLT is doing, only to find a planet that farted itself into extinction. 🙂

• 2 months later...

Interesting documentary on Netflix - you are what you eat. Simply puts lots of identical twins one on a vegan diet one on a “carnivore” diet for 8 weeks

starts off slowly but with each episode more and more pro vegan agenda with the second last being pretty much all how cruel and evil eating meat and fish is to animals. Then banging on about how great it is that people in factories can now make Stuff that looks and tastes like meat and cheese. (Make it make sense)

Results were frigging hilarious most lost weight, obviously because there were eating more healthily, but a lot of the vegans lost muscle too, one gained muscle who was a young lad who as most sensible people know a kid of his age can gain muscle by looking at a barbell. of course they were all raving about how amazing that was ignoring the fact the other three had lost muscle. Of course they also ignored any positives in the “carnivore diet” too and only focused on what postive there were for the vegans. There was no difference to their congnative function, because they said the experiment wasn’t long enough 🤣🤣, cholesterol did go down to be fair, by 10%. But again this can also be done by cutting right back on processed food and booze so no surprise 

im sure like the ridiculously biased game changers documentry the vegans will be high fiving each other as to how great this is but another example of pro vegan propaganda trying to fool the public. 

Edited by Turkish

I'm secretly vegan, because animal welfare, and health.

But being secret, I do have to eat meat sometimes to avoid people finding out.

Oh, and I do eat a lot of cheese, can't give that up. And milk is important for bone strength. And I do like a nice yoghurt.

Bit apart from those things, I'm 100% with the vegan philosophy and diet.

3 hours ago, pingpong said:

I'm secretly vegan, because animal welfare, and health.

But being secret, I do have to eat meat sometimes to avoid people finding out.

Oh, and I do eat a lot of cheese, can't give that up. And milk is important for bone strength. And I do like a nice yoghurt.

Bit apart from those things, I'm 100% with the vegan philosophy and diet.

I have the occasional vegan breakfast. And my coffee is always black and vegan friendly