Anyone a vegan?

whelk

2 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Getting nutrition, especially protein, from a plant based diet is more difficult and if someone is either not confident or uneducated when it comes to food/cooking then I can imagine they'd struggle to get what they need.  It is perfectly possible to have healthy, high protein diet from plant based foods if you know how.

Me and the Mrs tried and failed miserably, now we've just cut back on the amount of meat we eat which is something at least. Having a small amount of meat is probably the healthiest option anyway IMO.

You can eat well as a Vegan if you can put the effort in, the BOSH books by Henry Firth & Ian Theasby are excellent for anyone wanting to try.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Getting nutrition, especially protein, from a plant based diet is more difficult and if someone is either not confident or uneducated when it comes to food/cooking then I can imagine they'd struggle to get what they need.  It is perfectly possible to have healthy, high protein diet from plant based foods if you know how.

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

Me and the Mrs tried and failed miserably, now we've just cut back on the amount of meat we eat which is something at least. Having a small amount of meat is probably the healthiest option anyway IMO.

You can eat well as a Vegan if you can put the effort in, the BOSH books by Henry Firth & Ian Theasby are excellent for anyone wanting to try.

Don't dispute any of that. Trouble is many if not most people don't know how to eat well or can't be arsed. Meat is often an easy shortcut to getting nutrients whilst getting the same thing from plants takes thought and planning.  

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Whilst I find many vegans odious self righteous tossers you can’t deny there is something in it and more and more evidence seems to be appearing that certainly a highly plant based diet is the way to go. I listened to a pod cast recently where a doctor visited studies the 6 places in the world with the highest life expectancy and one thing they all had in common was a 90%+ plant based diet. I don’t think cutting out all meat is needed but reducing that and dairy eat more fish, more fruit, veg and try to avoid all vegetable oils and processed food is definitely the way forward. 

57 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Whilst I find many vegans odious self righteous tossers you can’t deny there is something in it and more and more evidence seems to be appearing that certainly a highly plant based diet is the way to go. I listened to a pod cast recently where a doctor visited studies the 6 places in the world with the highest life expectancy and one thing they all had in common was a 90%+ plant based diet. I don’t think cutting out all meat is needed but reducing that and dairy eat more fish, more fruit, veg and try to avoid all vegetable oils and processed food is definitely the way forward. 

Makes me laugh when people promote plant based burgers that are actual ultra  processed food so not very good for you. Make  your own burgers with mince. And yes fish, fruit, vegetables and nuts. Bleeding obvious really.

5 minutes ago, whelk said:

Makes me laugh when people promote plant based burgers that are actual ultra  processed food so not very good for you. Make  your own burgers with mince. And yes fish, fruit, vegetables and nuts. Bleeding obvious really.

Yep our local pub has started to do “vegan food”. A frigging veggie burger with batter on it and chips, probably one of the most unhealthy things they can do. Also all the meat free stuff that looks and tastes like meat. Laughable really. Like you say a lot of it is common sense but it’s amazing how lazy people are and will stick a pizza in the oven for 15 minutes rather than cook something healthy in the same time. 

The thing is though, you don't find many vegans who consider highly processed plant based burgers etc to be a major part of their diet. Those that do are undoubtedly headed down the road to malnutrition. These products are junk food that have their place, so long as they're only part of an overall balanced diet. Exactly the same as highly processed meat junk food.

All that meat free stuff that looks and tastes like meat is actually rather good (as part of an overall balanced diet) for those who don't deny that the meat equivalents taste good, but are not comfortable with getting someone else to torture and kill a sentient being in order to consume it. If you're not bothered how food gets to your plate, stick with animal flesh - objectively it probably does taste better.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2021 at 00:53, Golactico said:

The thing is though, you don't find many vegans who consider highly processed plant based burgers etc to be a major part of their diet. Those that do are undoubtedly headed down the road to malnutrition. These products are junk food that have their place, so long as they're only part of an overall balanced diet. Exactly the same as highly processed meat junk food.

All that meat free stuff that looks and tastes like meat is actually rather good (as part of an overall balanced diet) for those who don't deny that the meat equivalents taste good, but are not comfortable with getting someone else to torture and kill a sentient being in order to consume it. If you're not bothered how food gets to your plate, stick with animal flesh - objectively it probably does taste better.

Agree about meat substitute products, they are fine and certainly help if you wish to reduce meat consumption.  However you show your colours when you use the word torture in connection with meat production. I have more than a passing experience with livestock farming and have never experienced animals suffering "Torture", yes there are a tiny number of "farmers" who have been found to mistreat their livestock, these people are criminals and we have laws to deal with them.  It is this kind of language that undermines  a lot of the Vegan argument.

5 hours ago, moonraker said:

Agree about meat substitute products, they are fine and certainly help if you wish to reduce meat consumption.  However you show your colours when you use the word torture in connection with meat production. I have more than a passing experience with livestock farming and have never experienced animals suffering "Torture", yes there are a tiny number of "farmers" who have been found to mistreat their livestock, these people are criminals and we have laws to deal with them.  It is this kind of language that undermines  a lot of the Vegan argument.

Is it not legal practice for pigs to have their teeth removed and tails chopped off (without anesthetic), to stop them from harming eachother out of sheer frustration at their cramped conditions? Are pigs not routinely and legally kept in crates so small that they can't turn around or tend to their young? Do dairy cows not get impregnated by a farmer sticking his arm up their arses to deposit the bull semen? Is it not legally allowable to call eggs 'free range' with birds kept at a ratio of 9 hens to 1 square metre?

I do not not identify as a vegan, so am not presenting a 'vegan argument'.

2 hours ago, Golactico said:

Do dairy cows not get impregnated by a farmer sticking his arm up their arses to deposit the bull semen?

No, that's buggery, and it wouldn't get the job done.

As for the 'Free Range' definition, that figure is for housing the birds, ie where they roost overnight. They must also have at least 8 hours a day access to open pasture, which must not exceed 2500 birds per 10 thousand sqaure metres.

Edited by badgerx16

• 4 months later...

Best way to be a vegan? Have a burger and get over yourself

i was recently recommended a book by a vegan as the science backed proof as to why it’s the most healthy option. It’s called how not to die. Every chapter is basically the answer is become vegan, what’s the question. 

there is no doubt at all that a diet high in veg, cutting out all processed food and sugar in the healthy way to live but this cut out all animal products is just agenda driven nonsense. Meat, veg, nuts seed, some fruit little starch no sugar (that means added sugar) is all you need to know.

7 minutes ago, Golactico said:

Good to see that the art of reasoned, intelligent debate is alive and kicking.

See you ignored the rest of the post.

assume you were one of them all excited about nonsense like the game changers Netflix documentary. 

11 hours ago, Turkish said:

there is no doubt at all that a diet high in veg, cutting out all processed food and sugar in the healthy way to live but this cut out all animal products is just agenda driven nonsense. Meat, veg, nuts seed, some fruit little starch no sugar (that means added sugar) is all you need to know.

Amen.

Edited by badgerx16

• 5 months later...

I've just read a book called "in Defence of food" by Micheal Pollen. Its probably the most unbiased book i've read about diet and food.  It's a very interesting look at how western diets have changed over thelastg 100 years and how the mass production of processed food is killing us. The rule are very simple, real foods, not too much, mostly plants. No need for expensive plans, complex or fad diets or becoming a vegan, keto. everything he said made perfect sense. 

It would be hard to construct a serious argument for 'needing' to become a vegan from a nutritional perspective. The argument for an omnivorous diet being a nutritional necessity is equally flawed. However, nutrition is just one (and the least popular one according to the stats referenced earlier) of the three main reasons that people adopt an animal-free diet. Ethics and the environment are the main drivers.

As Pollan says himself:

'I have the ultimate respect for vegetarians and vegans. For they have actually done the work of thinking through the consequences of their eating decisions, something most of the rest of us have not done.'

10 hours ago, Golactico said:

It would be hard to construct a serious argument for 'needing' to become a vegan from a nutritional perspective. The argument for an omnivorous diet being a nutritional necessity is equally flawed. However, nutrition is just one (and the least popular one according to the stats referenced earlier) of the three main reasons that people adopt an animal-free diet. Ethics and the environment are the main drivers.

As Pollan says himself:

'I have the ultimate respect for vegetarians and vegans. For they have actually done the work of thinking through the consequences of their eating decisions, something most of the rest of us have not done.'

Yep, he doesn't have a problem with vegetarians or vegans, neither would most people if they didn't make it their sole topic of conversation. His point is more around the fact that most people stuff cheap, processed shit in their gobs without thinking about it, hence why chronic disease is so high in the western world. He references a few cases where previously healthy groups of people move to the western diet and quickly become sick. His point remains the same though, eat real food, not too much, mostly plants. Absolutely spot on, top fitness coaches will tell you exactly that as well. Anyone pushing anything other than this is probably trying to sell you something or had an agenda. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Anyone doing this veganuary bollocks? Surprised how many people are doing dry January although one person I know  who claimed they were doing it even though had a couple of beers before the Forest game. Making it to 5th Jan took some doing. I could probably do it 25 days out of the 31. might get a sponsor form going for others to recognise my discipline 

Edited by whelk

49 minutes ago, whelk said:

Anyone doing this veganuary bollocks? Surprised how many people are doing dry January although one person I know  who claimed they were doing it even though had a couple of beers before the Forest game. Making it to 5th Jan took some doing. I could probably do it 25 days out of the 31. might get a sponsor form going for others to recognise my discipline 

The people that do it are generally wankers. Dry January is a bit pointless if they just go and get back on it in February. 

In my many years of self education and a non bias view the secret to health limit booze 2-3 drinks a week is okay, nothing at all is best. don’t buy any food that advertises itself as being a heath food, low fat, high protein etc, if you can’t kill it or grow it don’t eat it. Eat real foods, not too much, mainly plants. Walk a lot, do some sort of resistance training 3-4 times week. 

the absence of illness doesn’t mean the presence of health. 

maybe I should do a Ted talk and I’ll get invited to join the saints board. Could do better than the cunts there now

Edited by Turkish

10 hours ago, Turkish said:

The people that do it are generally wankers. Dry January is a bit pointless if they just go and get back on it in February. 

In my many years of self education and a non bias view the secret to health limit booze 2-3 drinks a week is okay, nothing at all is best. don’t buy any food that advertises itself as being a heath food, low fat, high protein etc, if you can’t kill it or grow it don’t eat it. Eat real foods, not too much, mainly plants. Walk a lot, do some sort of resistance training 3-4 times week. 

the absence of illness doesn’t mean the presence of health. 

maybe I should do a Ted talk and I’ll get invited to join the saints board. Could do better than the cunts there now

The only thing I do sympathise is that it is a lot easier to eat healthier if you aren’t watching your money. I focus on eating, fresh salmon, quality steak and chicken, organic eggs and milk and bacon. But that isn’t easy if a single mum with kids. I know vegetable stews etc and does annoy me how people eat so badly then moan about their weight. 

10 hours ago, Turkish said:

Don’t buy any food that advertises itself as being a heath food, low fat, high protein etc, if you can’t kill it or grow it don’t eat it. Eat real foods, not too much, mainly plants. Walk a lot, do some sort of resistance training 3-4 times week. 

So, so true. 

A vegan that I know (wouldn't call him a friend - he's a complete Pompey cunt) will not eat honey. It is an animal product. Instead he puts Biscoff on his toast - a manufactured, full of sugar product clearly manufactured for Pompey cunts. 

He reckons that he is a vegan for health reasons. 😁

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, whelk said:

The only thing I do sympathise is that it is a lot easier to eat healthier if you aren’t watching your money. I focus on eating, fresh salmon, quality steak and chicken, organic eggs and milk and bacon. But that isn’t easy if a single mum with kids. I know vegetable stews etc and does annoy me how people eat so badly then moan about their weight. 

I do get that. Although you can still do it quite cheaply. Batch cooking stuff can work out quite cheap, you can batch cook a chilli and leave freeze the leftovers for a later on and get another two or three meals out of it, just adding rice on the day. Same with curries, lasagne, soups. You can knock all these things up for a less than a tenner and get 3 meals for family out of them, the trouble it people don’t want to cook anymore, it’s easier to shove a cheap pizza in the oven and sit down watching TV

15 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

So, so true. 

A vegan that I know (wouldn't call him a friend - he's a complete Pompey cunt) will not eat honey. It is an animal product. Instead he puts Biscoff on his toast - a manufactured, full of sugar product clearly manufactured for Pompey cunts. 

He reckons that he is a vegan for health reasons. 😁

all this stuff that markets itself as low fat for example is smashed full of additives to make it taste better. I personally think it’s criminal how the food companies are allowed to advertise their products as healthy when they are generally terrible for you. 

I have a friend who is doing Keto apparently in an attempt to lose weight. She met my wife for breakfast during the week and had a full English with no hash browns, 2 hot chocolates and a pint of full fat coke all okay no carbs apparently  🤣🤣

Edited by Turkish

On 07/01/2023 at 10:53, Turkish said:

all this stuff that markets itself as low fat for example is smashed full of additives to make it taste better. I personally think it’s criminal how the food companies are allowed to advertise their products as healthy when they are generally terrible for you. 

I have a friend who is doing Keto apparently in an attempt to lose weight. She met my wife for breakfast during the week and had a full English with no hash browns, 2 hot chocolates and a pint of full fat coke all okay no carbs apparently  🤣🤣

Keto definitely isn't healthy as it's excluding an essential food group.  Vegan can be healthy as you can get all the nutrition from plant based sources, it's just more difficult.  There's no doubt that people should eat more vegatables and less meat, the impact on your body of having meat with every meal isn't great.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Keto definitely isn't healthy as it's excluding an essential food group.  Vegan can be healthy as you can get all the nutrition from plant based sources, it's just more difficult.  There's no doubt that people should eat more vegatables and less meat, the impact on your body of having meat with every meal isn't great.

Not only is it not healthy its not sustainable and most people aren't really in Keto anyway, they're just doing low carb. 

Definitely right about eating less meat and also the crap quality meat. Sausages are not really meat for example, yes you can get good ones from proper local butchers, but the ones from supermarkets are generally crap quality. It's difficult unless you really look into it in detail because there is so much confusion out there. Are Eggs good for you for example? Depending on who you believe they are the devil which will give you high cholesterol or the one of the most nutritious things on the planet. 

It really shouldn't be difficult to grasp but so much confusion as companies with agendas trying to sell something. I generally avoid anything that calls itself a health food, low fat, or anything like that, they're usually packed full of shit to make it taste better and keep coming back

Edited by Turkish

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like we are about to appoint a new manager who is vegan. This is surely terrible news according to some on here? Obviously he will never stop telling everyone in press conferences and interviews about his diet, he'll be off sick all the time and when he does show up, he'll be too weak and feeble to take a training session?