Irish travellers

Raging Bull

22 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Local travellers took over a pub near me, drove all the decent customers out getting pissed up and picking fights, until they ran into a group of off duty coppers and a massive brawl took place. The landlord nearly lost his license and had to hire security for six months as a condition and it took a while for trade to bounce back, both a big expense for a little village pub. Business as just wary.

"Local black community took over a pub near me, drove all the decent customers out getting pissed up and picking fights, until they ran into a group of off duty coppers and a massive brawl took place. The landlord nearly lost his license and had to hire security for six months as a condition and it took a while for trade to bounce back, both a big expense for a little village pub. Business as just wary."

Which one sounds more racist - you decide.

Amazing how the overt racism is tolerated when it's aimed at certain communities.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

"Local black community took over a pub near me, drove all the decent customers out getting pissed up and picking fights, until they ran into a group of off duty coppers and a massive brawl took place. The landlord nearly lost his license and had to hire security for six months as a condition and it took a while for trade to bounce back, both a big expense for a little village pub. Business as just wary."

Which one sounds more racist - you decide.

Amazing how the overt racism is tolerated when it's aimed at certain communities.

You really are tiresome, what did I type that was racist.

Just now, Fan The Flames said:

To be fair to Weston, he made a good point. Travellers and Black people are both ethnic groups. You've singled one group out for attention. 

41 minutes ago, egg said:

To be fair to Weston, he made a good point. Travellers and Black people are both ethnic groups. You've singled one group out for attention. 

I singled out a group for attention, listen to yourself. I stated the facts of what happened and the consequences of it, as context to your post about banning the bearded lady and the lion tamers party. Unless stating someone ethnicity is now offensive. Weston rooting around looking for some gotcha equivalence is embarrassing.

4 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

I singled out a group for attention, listen to yourself. I stated the facts of what happened and the consequences of it, as context to your post about banning the bearded lady and the lion tamers party. Unless stating someone ethnicity is now offensive. Weston rooting around looking for some gotcha equivalence is embarrassing.

Yep, you singled them out in a negative way.

If the story was about black people being discriminated against by Pontins, and the ruck in your boozer was started by a group of black people, would have posted about it? 

The fact that you refer to travelling showmen as a "Bearded lady", "lion tamer" says it all pal. 

19 minutes ago, whelk said:

Lol at all the academics discussing racism. Sure all you tolerant enlightened souls would welcome the gypo cunts settling as your neighbours.

That’s what they used to say about blacks. 

E9BDB115-FC98-44CA-BBBD-0F1F5CAE4032.jpeg

Edited by Turkish

6 hours ago, egg said:

Yep, you singled them out in a negative way.

If the story was about black people being discriminated against by Pontins, and the ruck in your boozer was started by a group of black people, would have posted about it? 

The fact that you refer to travelling showmen as a "Bearded lady", "lion tamer" says it all pal. 

You are getting your leopard skin leotard in a twist. I love this using white gypsies to try and show that society pussyfoots around black people. Shouldn't it be Showpeople pal.

14 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

You are getting your leopard skin leotard in a twist. I love this using white gypsies to try and show that society pussyfoots around black people. Shouldn't it be Showpeople pal. 

Black people / Asian people / showmen / other travellers. All ethnic groups.  Showmen is what showmen are, and what they're known as - not lion tamer or bearded woman or whatever racist term you choose to use. 

So symptomatic of modern society for people to be keen to play ‘racism’ ‘irish’ victimhood angle. 
We all have bias in what we tolerate and their behaviour is generally at odds with our civilised society. I would have exactly same issue with some scummy family who had no respect for others from Millbrook or wherever. And yes we all generalise about groups even the most saintly on here.
I am sure travellers come up against prejudice daily and probably reinforces their behaviour of ‘fuck these guys who hate us’ mentality. Maybe up their welfare benefits to make us look less racist or give reparation payments for all those historic car park eviction notices that we should be ashamed of as a nation.

2 minutes ago, whelk said:

So symptomatic of modern society for people to be keen to play ‘racism’ ‘irish’ victimhood angle. 
We all have bias in what we tolerate and their behaviour is generally at odds with our civilised society. I would have exactly same issue with some scummy family who had no respect for others from Millbrook or wherever. And yes we all generalise about groups even the most saintly on here.
I am sure travellers come up against prejudice daily and probably reinforces their behaviour of ‘fuck these guys who hate us’ mentality. Maybe up their welfare benefits to make us look less racist or give reparation payments for all those historic car park eviction notices that we should be ashamed of as a nation.

You're doing a Pontins and lumping a group of people in the same box. At one end of the scale there's the actual travelling travellers who can leave a mess behind. Understandably people don't like the invasion and mess, but victimisation and name calling isn't necessary. At the other end of the scale there are settled travellers who work and contribute, but face the same victimisation and name calling. Its no better than assuming that all black people from a particular community are violent or drug dealers because some black people from that community are violent or drug dealers. Is referring to travelling showmen as a "bearded lady" any different or better than referring to a black person as a "golliwog"? 

However you cut, there is prejudice against travelling communities and sadly it's present on this thread. 

9 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

Really, you can't see what is racist?

10 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

Local travellers took over a pub near me, drove all the decent customers out getting pissed up and picking fights, until they ran into a group of off duty coppers and a massive brawl took place. The landlord nearly lost his license and had to hire security for six months as a condition and it took a while for trade to bounce back, both a big expense for a little village pub. Business as just wary.

Let's highlight in more detail for you :

Local travellers took over a pub near me - your opening gambit is to identify a distinct race of people.  In doing so, however, with the use of the word 'local' you show that you really don't understand what a 'traveller' is!

drove all the decent customers out getting pissed up and picking fights - you then add in some stereotypes associated to the race you previously identified and describe their behaviour (getting pissed and picking fights) as inferior, even though the same behaviour carries on in pubs up and down the country every weekend (when they are open).  You also claim they drove all the 'decent' customers away, again inferring that this race of people is 'inferior' to another.

until they ran into a group of off duty coppers and a massive brawl took place. - What's this coming over the hill, why it's a knight in shining armour that hath come to vanquish the evil inferior race!  Really?  You expect us to believe that a group of 'off duty coppers' just happened to 'stumble' across a quaint village pub that had been overrun by the villainous travellers.  Presumably the coppers were from the Serious organised crime unit in Basingstoke.  Any reason why they didn't use their 'lawfully' given powers to put an end to the alleged assualts and anti social behaviour whilst they were 'on duty'?

The landlord nearly lost his license and had to hire security for six months as a condition and it took a while for trade to bounce back, both a big expense for a little village pub. Business as just wary. - You then highlight the economic depravity caused by this inferior race of people and the effect it had on the local community, but don't worry, just like all good disney movies, the hero triumphed over the evil villain in the end and the inferior race was driven from the lands and peace was restored.

But, you're right, other than those little bits, absolutely nothing racist in what you typed at all.

There are none so blind as those that will not see.

Edited by Weston Super Saint

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Local travellers took over a pub near me - your opening gambit is to identify a distinct race of people.  In doing so, however, with the use of the word 'local' you show that you really don't understand what a 'traveller' is!

drove all the decent customers out getting pissed up and picking fights - you then add in some stereotypes associated to the race you previously identified and describe their behaviour (getting pissed and picking fights) as inferior, even though the same behaviour carries on in pubs up and down the country every weekend (when they are open).  You also claim they drove all the 'decent' customers away, again inferring that this race of people is 'inferior' to another.

until they ran into a group of off duty coppers and a massive brawl took place. - What's this coming over the hill, why it's a knight in shining armour that hath come to vanquish the evil inferior race!  Really?  You expect us to believe that a group of 'off duty coppers' just happened to 'stumble' across a quaint village pub that had been overrun by the villainous travellers.  Presumably the coppers were from the Serious organised crime unit in Basingstoke.  Any reason why they didn't use their 'lawfully' given powers to put an end to the alleged assualts and anti social behaviour whilst they were 'on duty'?

The landlord nearly lost his license and had to hire security for six months as a condition and it took a while for trade to bounce back, both a big expense for a little village pub. Business as just wary. - You then highlight the economic depravity caused by this inferior race of people and the effect it had on the local community, but don't worry, just like all good disney movies, the hero triumphed over the evil villain in the end and the inferior race was driven from the lands and peace was restored.

But, you're right, other than those little bits, absolutely nothing racist in what you typed at all.

If you were landlord you’d no doubt be scratching your head wondering where all your customers had gone unable to make the link.

Still the floor woudl be well swept😀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I didn't get past your confusion with 'local traveller'. What a waste of your time picking my post apart, which was all factual.

You wouldn't bother picking it apart if someone else posted it. But you jumped on mine because our views rarely align and you chose to defend a group that spent time in prison after the violent attack on a police stag do. Well done you.

You're a bit of a forum Redmond, you should take yourself out of the firing line and rest this log in for bit. Sort your head out and come back stronger.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

I didn't get past your confusion with 'local traveller'. What a waste of your time picking my post apart, which was all factual.

You wouldn't bother picking it apart if someone else posted it. But you jumped on mine because our views rarely align and you chose to defend a group that spent time in prison after the violent attack on a police stag do. Well done you.

You're a bit of a forum Redmond, you should take yourself out of the firing line and rest this log in for bit. Sort your head out and come back stronger.

"Local traveller"

3 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

"Local traveller"

FWIW, Blackpool has many 'local residents' who present themselves as part of the traveller community. They tend to live settled in one place for most of the year, working in the Tourism sector mostly, then wander up to Appleby for the Horse Fair. They drive their caravans through our village on the way.

Edited by badgerx16

Look at it this way, I’ve got a good mate who is a English traveler and he is an absolute gent, politest man I know. His family however, are mostly total wasters. As soon as he could he could his parents made him look after his severely disabled younger sister whilst they, in his words  stayed in bed all day. But he did this just out of his love for his sister.

My point is there are good and bad travellers but come on! Are there not good and bad people in any community?

• 3 months later...

Btw I have my own negative bias regarding travellers based on my upbringing. It’s something I recognise though and try to mitigate against. I think we can all agree we do have our prejudices .

However, some seem to revel in it to create division. Those are the people who need to be called out as not fit to claim the union flag 🇬🇧. They are liars, deceivers, dissenters and snake oil salesmen. They need to be carefully removed from their indoctrination as children, as it is truly not their fault, and reintegrated into the majority of right thinking humans.

You know who you are.