Irish travellers

Raging Bull

There’s a load of Irish travellers in Nursling Rec who are on the hunt for anything they can get their hands on, especially dogs and caravans. 

if you live in the area I’m sure you’re already aware, but this lot are brazen as anything. 

5 minutes ago, Raging Bull said:

There’s a load of Irish travellers in Nursling Rec who are on the hunt for anything they can get their hands on, especially dogs and caravans. 

if you live in the area I’m sure you’re already aware, but this lot are brazen as anything. 

They were next to goals a few weeks ago. Dave Shields was on the case and he's cleaned up all the rubbish from there. If you want something done then he's the person to talk to as he's responsible for travellers. 

We’ve had them in Poole Park all last week. Council, who have closed all the toilets, shipped in port a loos for them. Frigging joke, rumours are the police were actually following them when they broke in and did sweet FA. They’re a bloody menace. The hopeless pinko council are trying to blame local residents because of their objections to a permanent site for them. 

2 hours ago, Raging Bull said:

They're causing no end of issues. Shitting on the paths in the woods, letting their dogs run at anyone going near the field, ditto driving vehicles towards anyone entering the field, entering peoples gardens, and all sorts else. There's not many reports of thefts, yet, but their presence and behaviour ain't making them any friends.

Off the back of this, Caroline Noakes is attempting to make entering spaces like this with vehicles a criminal act rather than a civil issue. 

if it’s successful they’ll be removed straight away, rather than having to wait for people like the ‘gypsy liaison office’ to carry out their assessments. 

Anyway, the parish council have now brought 6 x 1 ton concrete blocks to stop this happening again. 

top gear GIF

We had a group of Travellers over our way last year 

All the vehicles had foreign plates. Cant remember whether they were French or German)

Ok they parked illegally on public land but they left the land as they found it and there were no reports of unsocial behaviour.

This was a relatively bright spot in a regular catalogue of disruptive behaviour by largely Irish Travellers in our area.

I am from Irish stock so can't be accused of racial stereotyping.

Just now, RedWillie said:

New Forest Police actually moved them pretty swiftly out of Ringwood leisure centre within 24 hrs last week, guess they just go where they can leaving a pile of shit behind them.

It doesn't seem right in this day and age. I do wonder why they haven't passed reasonable legislation to prevent it before now. 

On 04/07/2020 at 13:42, Weston Super Saint said:

Depends of what race they are doesn't it?

I mean if they're of the same race as Lighthouse then him not liking them any too much isn't racist is it? It's just a seemingly burning dislike of a particular subset of people.

racist.

Edited by Window Cleaner

On 07/07/2020 at 13:36, spyinthesky said:

We had a group of Travellers over our way last year 

All the vehicles had foreign plates. Cant remember whether they were French or German)

Ok they parked illegally on public land but they left the land as they found it and there were no reports of unsocial behaviour.

This was a relatively bright spot in a regular catalogue of disruptive behaviour by largely Irish Travellers in our area.

I am from Irish stock so can't be accused of racial stereotyping.

Doesn't sound much like your average bunch of French "gens de voyage". They always leave mess and rarely engage in civilised behaviour. Then again that goes for about a third of the population of France anyway.

1 hour ago, Window Cleaner said:

Doesn't sound much like your average bunch of French "gens de voyage". They always leave mess and rarely engage in civilised behaviour. Then again that goes for about a third of the population of France anyway.

Most of them still crap in a hole in the ground and wouldn’t know a good days work if it grabbed them by the cahoonas. 

In this regard, I put the French on a par with the diddies. 

2 hours ago, Window Cleaner said:

Depends of what race they are doesn't it?

I mean if they're of the same race as Lighthouse then him not liking them any too much isn't racist is it? It's just a seemingly burning dislike of a particular subset of people.

I fail to see any criteria by which travelers count as a race; they're just people who live in caravans. As far as I'm concerned, they're white British people, who's ancestors just happen to come from the other side of the Irish Sea.

18 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I fail to see any criteria by which travelers count as a race; they're just people who live in caravans. As far as I'm concerned, they're white British people, who's ancestors just happen to come from the other side of the Irish Sea.

Sadly, you don't make the law!

The Equality Act 2010 covers this and declares that 'ethnic' groups are a 'race' http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/section/9

This has been tested numerous times in court and upheld that 'travellers' are indeed a race https://www.hospitalitylaw.co.uk/large-awards-for-travellers-refused-entry-to-pubs/

Equality Act 2010

It is race discrimination to refuse to serve a customer because they are a traveller or gypsy.  Romany and Irish Gypsies are protected by The Equality Act 2010.

In 1988 the case of Commission for Racial Equality v Dutton decided that a sign displayed in a pub saying “No Travellers” was discriminatory and that Romany Gypsies are a racial group and therefore protected by equality legislation.  In O’Leary & Others v Punch Retail & Others, Irish travellers challenged a “No Travellers” sign in a pub and it was decided that Irish travellers are also a distinct racial group and therefore protected by equality legislation.

As I stated earlier "incredibly racist", some people on this thread overtly so....

3 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Sadly, you don't make the law!

The Equality Act 2010 covers this and declares that 'ethnic' groups are a 'race' http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/section/9

This has been tested numerous times in court and upheld that 'travellers' are indeed a race https://www.hospitalitylaw.co.uk/large-awards-for-travellers-refused-entry-to-pubs/

As I stated earlier "incredibly racist", some people on this thread overtly so....

Personally I find it astonishing that someone can be considered a race based on the vehicle they happen to live in. Anyway, I live to become enlightened and as you say I don’t make the law, so on the basis of that I will retract my earlier racist statement and apologise.

I hold nothing against the race of gypsy people. I do however hold the utmost disdain for people of any race who used to break into my grandfathers business in the 90s, the industrial site my dad used to work on and who regularly break into public areas, cause damage, leave large amounts waste (some of it highly insanitary), steal people’s beloved pets to use as bait in fights, copper wiring, lead roofing and other materials... all at the expense of the taxpayer.

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

Personally I find it astonishing that someone can be considered a race based on the vehicle they happen to live in. Anyway, I live to become enlightened and as you say I don’t make the law, so on the basis of that I will retract my earlier racist statement and apologise.

I hold nothing against the race of gypsy people. I do however hold the utmost disdain for people of any race who used to break into my grandfathers business in the 90s, the industrial site my dad used to work on and who regularly break into public areas, cause damage, leave large amounts waste (some of it highly insanitary), steal people’s beloved pets to use as bait in fights, copper wiring, lead roofing and other materials... all at the expense of the taxpayer.

TBF that's not all travellers is it but I do agree that they should pass appropriate laws to prevent some of the antisocial behaviour. Like I said earlier, I'm not sure why they haven't put more in place to prevent them from just rocking up somewhere, pitching up illegally and then dumping rubbish and all manner of other things. You think they'd be able to move them on immediately rather than it taking weeks. 

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

TBF that's not all travellers is it but I do agree that they should pass appropriate laws to prevent some of the antisocial behaviour. Like I said earlier, I'm not sure why they haven't put more in place to prevent them from just rocking up somewhere, pitching up illegally and then dumping rubbish and all manner of other things. You think they'd be able to move them on immediately rather than it taking weeks. 

I completely understand both yours and Lighthouse's points, but frankly what you're suggesting is akin to Apartheid.  Imagine if 'they' were able to move black, brown or any other colour of person on just because they didn't like them being there.  Discrimination against a 'race' is the same no matter what the 'race' may be.

With respect to the antisocial behaviour, we already have laws that address this.  Again, it would smack of Apartheid to introduce more laws that discriminate against this one particular race.

The issue, from what I can see, is a reluctance from the police and local Governments to enforce the laws that we already have.  I understand why the police don't want to tie themselves up going round in circles trying to prove exactly who was responsible for the crimes being committed, but I don't feel that's a good enough reason for them to not bother at all.  It is undoubtedly easier for the police to 'ignore' the crimes / damage / theft and let individuals claim on their insurance than invest their time and effort putting together the proof required, only for the culprits to move on and never show up in court anyway.

17 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I completely understand both yours and Lighthouse's points, but frankly what you're suggesting is akin to Apartheid.  Imagine if 'they' were able to move black, brown or any other colour of person on just because they didn't like them being there.  Discrimination against a 'race' is the same no matter what the 'race' may be.

With respect to the antisocial behaviour, we already have laws that address this.  Again, it would smack of Apartheid to introduce more laws that discriminate against this one particular race.

The issue, from what I can see, is a reluctance from the police and local Governments to enforce the laws that we already have.  I understand why the police don't want to tie themselves up going round in circles trying to prove exactly who was responsible for the crimes being committed, but I don't feel that's a good enough reason for them to not bother at all.  It is undoubtedly easier for the police to 'ignore' the crimes / damage / theft and let individuals claim on their insurance than invest their time and effort putting together the proof required, only for the culprits to move on and never show up in court anyway.

Steady on! I just don't think anyone should be allowed to move caravans onto public land and then trash the place. I don't think you should discriminate against a race of people, it should be illegal regardless of who the people are. It's not discriminating against them if the law applies equally to everyone. Living in a caravan and trashing public spaces isn't a immutable characteristic of the traveller race. The travellers who the OP speaks about rocked up next to goals in Millbrook, stayed there for two weeks and trashed the place. They had lit fires, emptied their toilets into the bushes, left rubbish everywhere and broken bottles which is a major problem as that field is often used by dog walkers. The council then had to go and clean it all up at considerable expense and inconvenience and they will probably do it again eventually. Imo there should be consequences to that sort of thing. 

They already have laws in place that can move them on, it's just that the legal process currently takes much too long to sort out. No reason at all why they can't tighten up laws to ensure that they can move them on much quicker which would prevent a lot of the mess and antisocial behaviour or at least reduce it somewhat. 

Edited by hypochondriac

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Steady on! I just don't think anyone should be allowed to move caravans onto public land and then trash the place. I don't think you should discriminate against a race of people, it should be illegal regardless of who the people are. It's not discriminating against them if the law applies equally to everyone. Living in a caravan and trashing public spaces isn't a immutable characteristic of the traveller race. The travellers who the OP speaks about rocked up next to goals in Millbrook, stayed there for two weeks and trashed the place. They had lit fires, emptied their toilets into the bushes, left rubbish everywhere and broken bottles which is a major problem as that field is often used by dog walkers. The council then had to go and clean it all up at considerable expense and inconvenience and they will probably do it again eventually. Imo there should be consequences to that sort of thing. 

They already have laws in place that can move them on, it's just that the legal process currently takes much too long to sort out. No reason at all why they can't tighten up laws to ensure that they can move them on much quicker which would prevent a lot of the mess and antisocial behaviour or at least reduce it somewhat. 

Laws such as this?

What about the police?

The council or landowner can contact the police if a traveller site is trespassing and they can be immediately evicted from the site if there are two or more people, they have six or more vehicles parked on the land or one of them has caused damage or behaved in a threatening or abusive manner.

As I stated previously, the laws already exist.  Enforcing them is the issue that needs to be addressed....

Just now, Weston Super Saint said:

Laws such as this?

As I stated previously, the laws already exist.  Enforcing them is the issue that needs to be addressed....

I spoke to directly to the council about the issue two weeks ago and they confirmed that getting caravans removed from public land is not an immediate thing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/07/2020 at 11:29, Raging Bull said:

On 01/07/2020 at 14:14, egg said:

They're causing no end of issues. Shitting on the paths in the woods, letting their dogs run at anyone going near the field, ditto driving vehicles towards anyone entering the field, entering peoples gardens, and all sorts else. There's not many reports of thefts, yet, but their presence and behaviour ain't making them any friends.

On 04/07/2020 at 09:00, whelk said:

Water cannon the fckers

What Would The Jesus Do GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

He wouldn't need a water cannon!

Jesus Water GIF - Jesus Water Waves - Discover & Share GIFs

Edited by Matthew Le God

10 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

What Would The Jesus Do GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

He wouldn't need a water cannon!

Jesus Water GIF - Jesus Water Waves - Discover & Share GIFs

It’s clear you think about God more than anyone else on this forum. That’s ok and good luck on your spiritual journey but try not to make every thread about him. 

20 hours ago, Winnersaint said:

Resident in Burghfield/Sulhamstead from press reports. Short drive down to A4 from there.

They are fuckin everywhere around Tadley, surprising because its full of police due to AWE. Saw one in Subway in a dressing gown with a half eaten sandwich shouting for a refund because it 'all fell apart afore I cud eat it!'

The bunch that killed that poor copper are from round there also.

Edited by Plastic

• 7 months later...

Tut tut Pontins - although I imagine that if most of their parks were filled with Gypsies and Travellers they might actually be improved!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56246848

Pontins has agreed to change its working practices after disclosure it had a blacklist of Irish surnames used to screen out bookings for its holiday parks from Gypsies and Travellers.

It goes on every where. I know a travelling showman family booked for a huge gathering at a large local hotel a few years ago. When it was understood that they were showman, the event was pulled. Pure racism. 

Local travellers took over a pub near me, drove all the decent customers out getting pissed up and picking fights, until they ran into a group of off duty coppers and a massive brawl took place. The landlord nearly lost his license and had to hire security for six months as a condition and it took a while for trade to bounce back, both a big expense for a little village pub. Business as just wary.