First half performances generally decent, second half performances usually poor. Why?

trousers

Fitness, mentality. Combination of both.

We usually coast around in the first half, looking good on the ball but failing to do anything with it.

Start the second half, oppo comes out a bit better and puts us under more pressure and we crumble under it. Game over.

Because opposition managers suss out our weaknesses and make a tactical change at HT to exploit them.

Combined with the fact our intensity in the first half can't be sustained over 90 minutes and we are usually knackered and chasing the game by 60-70 minutes, we start getting desperate and inevitably make mistakes up front and at the back.

Not really that new to us though is it ? Seem to remember this happening under previous managers. Didn't we go from 0-2 at HT to 3-2 away at Hull a few seasons ago, possibly under Koeman.

That said it is now the norm for us to have a good first half, not make it count, then collapse in the second appearing cluless in the process.

• Like 1

It’s happening for one simple reason - our squad depth isn’t compatible with our style, and it was very predictable from Day One.

In the micro context of an individual game, we can sustain our style for 30 minutes or so, but then we’re left with decent forward possession but no real penetration because there are no early balls and - often - nobody in the box to aim for. We fart around trying to keep possession – hanging onto our style even though it’s not getting us anywhere, and we become really vulnerable to counters. So, we’re crap at holding onto leads and crap at chasing a result. The lack of squad depth means that we can’t replace like-for-like – just throw on an inferior replacement or a square peg for a round hole.

In the macro context of an entire season, we can sustain it for 10 games or so, but then the high-energy style starts to take a heavy toll in accumulated tiredness and injuries. When we lose key players, our lacking depth means that our ability to play Ralph’s style goes with them. KWP was a vital cog in our system, and there is literally no back-up.

For me, this isn’t on Ralph – even though he has dropped his fair share of line-up and tactical clangers.

It’s down to the lack of support he’s getting from the club.

My hunch is that the “powers that be” are looking to hang on, with minimal investment (and even some disinvestment – loan-outs), until new ownership arrives. That's a hell of a gamble, because this isn’t going to get much better, and – unthinkably, given how we started the season – we have some relegation six-pointers coming up.

9 minutes ago, CanadaSaint said:

It’s happening for one simple reason - our squad depth isn’t compatible with our style, and it was very predictable from Day One.

That's a fair point, but I don't recall anyone stating in November, when we were flying high, that the wheels would inevitably come off the wagon. If Ralph's style/tactics was so obviously workable in the short term but would unravel in the medium-to-longer term, why did so few, if any, people forewarn us of the inevitable on here back in November...?

Edited by trousers

1 minute ago, trousers said:

That's a fair point, but I don't recall anyone stating in November that the wheels would inevitably come off the wagon. If Ralph's style/tactics was so obviously workable in the short term but would unravel in the medium-to-longer term, why did so few, if any, people forewarn us of the inevitable on here back in November...?

To be fair, I do remember some people being quite nervous about what would happen if we had injuries to key players. As looking around on the bench there was nothing. Sadly that's probably what's derailed us more than anything, getting those injures to Ings, Romeu, Vestergaard at key times in the season. When we needed to stop the rot, we had to play untried kids. It's really not a good situation to be in.

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I do remember some people being quite nervous about what would happen if we had injuries to key players

I don't recall (m)any posts about that in November, but quite likely my memory is playing tricks on me. Fair play to those that knew that things would go tits up whilst we were still making hay earlier in the season. 

Edited by trousers

9 minutes ago, trousers said:

That's a fair point, but I don't recall anyone stating in November, when we were flying high, that the wheels would inevitably come off the wagon. If Ralph's style/tactics was so obviously workable in the short term but would unravel in the medium-to-longer term, why did so few, if any, people forewarn us of the inevitable on here back in November...?

I posted pretty much the same comment after we we surrendered a two goal lead to lose 3-2 at home to United in November:

"It's an extremely demanding style - especially if (like us) a club doesn't have the depth. It's a vulnerability in the micro context of an individual game, but it's also a vulnerability in the macro context of an entire season. The danger is that we'll have a really good first half of the season followed by a really bad second half. I'm not looking for high-priced signings in the window - just good players giving us more depth in key positions."

This isn't about tooting my own horn but about the utter ineptitude at the club. We didn't INCREASE our depth in the window - we REDUCED it, and now we're paying the price. We can only hope that t won't be the ultimate one.

8 minutes ago, CanadaSaint said:

I posted pretty much the same comment after we we surrendered a two goal lead to lose 3-2 at home to United in November:

"It's an extremely demanding style - especially if (like us) a club doesn't have the depth. It's a vulnerability in the micro context of an individual game, but it's also a vulnerability in the macro context of an entire season. The danger is that we'll have a really good first half of the season followed by a really bad second half. I'm not looking for high-priced signings in the window - just good players giving us more depth in key positions."

This isn't about tooting my own horn but about the utter ineptitude at the club. We didn't INCREASE our depth in the window - we REDUCED it, and now we're paying the price. We can only hope that t won't be the ultimate one.

Good post and very sound observations. I don't think any fans want us to go spending, spending, spending...we just need to stop being clever with our squad management. The ultimate dream for a club like us is that our academy/b team provides the depth, but it's clear to me that the quality isn't there...so we need to ditch that stupid idea for the next 5 years and actually build the squad out a tiny bit.

Edited by S-Clarke

10 minutes ago, trousers said:

I don't recall (m)any posts about that in November, but quite likely my memory is playing tricks on me. Fair play to those that knew that things would go tits up whilst we were still making hay earlier in the season. 

Not sure why you keep persisting with this idea that nobody thought our good form would stop.

Yes, there were people twatting on about us winning the league but at the same time plenty who knew it was fleeting good form and we were a mid table team only a couple of injuries away from crisis.

Plenty of posts along the lines of "if we didn't have (eg) Ings we'd be in trouble" and worries about our squad depth and so on.

Why do you need to pretend that everyone here all thought we would go on winning forever?

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Not sure why you keep persisting with this idea that nobody thought our good form would stop.

Yes, there were people twatting on about us winning the league but at the same time plenty who knew it was fleeting good form and we were a mid table team only a couple of injuries away from crisis.

Plenty of posts along the lines of "if we didn't have (eg) Ings we'd be in trouble" and worries about our squad depth and so on.

Why do you need to pretend that everyone here all thought we would go on winning forever?

Apologies your lordship. I shall hence forth desist with my thinking out loud on an internet football forum. Please forgive me sire. 

11 minutes ago, CanadaSaint said:

Fair points 👍

15 minutes ago, trousers said:

Apologies your lordship. I shall hence forth desist with my thinking out loud on an internet football forum. Please forgive me sire. 

Well, all you need to do is next time we're on a fucking great winning run like we had during the back end of 2020 is make sure you make your voice heard and ensure that this forum spends its entire time not enjoying those wins but discussing how weak and terrible the team is just to cover itself for situations such as now.

I guess really what we should be doing right now is all discussing how fantastically brilliant the team, players and manager is so you don't have to berate us as hypocrites when we do eventually start winning again.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Well, all you need to do is next time we're on a fucking great winning run like we had during the back end of 2020 is make sure you make your voice heard and ensure that this forum spends its entire time not enjoying those wins but discussing how weak and terrible the team is just to cover itself for situations such as now.

I guess really what we should be doing right now is all discussing how fantastically brilliant the team, players and manager is so you don't have to berate us as hypocrites when we do eventually start winning again.

You make reasonable points sir, and I bow to your insightfulness. I sometimes allow my lack of intelligence to get the better of me and for that I humbly apologise. 

Edited by trousers

41 minutes ago, egg said:

As others have said, other teams adapt to us, but Ralph seems unable to do anything about it. 

It's a bit chicken and egg (😁) though isn't it: what personnel options does he really have? Maybe with better squad depth/variety we might see more tactical variety?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Suhari said:

It's a bit chicken and egg (😁) though isn't it: what personnel options does he really have? Maybe with better squad depth/variety we might see more tactical variety?

Yep, but our chickens always come home to roost second half. 

You started it 😁