Hampshire CCC 2021 Season

Window Cleaner

1 minute ago, Dark Munster said:

Wow! Incredible! That was a microcosm of the season: they looked dead and buried for most of the match, and then made a miraculous comeback!

Throw in the 8-0 and it's been a great day!

I agree not only both results

Went out to lunch for the first time with my three week old grandson and had a beer with my brother for the first time for ages

• Like 2

I had the misfortune of witnessing Yorkshire batting yesterday, it went on forever, way beyond what was required as everyone knew they needed 300 maximum to win the game.

Delaying that declaration cost them a simple victory, it was bonkers.

That picture in reality is the fielders gathering around the captain to ask him how on earth he converted total dominance into a draw.

Oh dear, how sad, never mind. 🤡

1 hour ago, Weston Saint said:

Update – Abbott has an ankle problem and definitely out next game. Wheal having scan believed to be muscle problem behind his knee. Abbas definitely in for next game.

They won't want to risk Wheal with the T20 finals day approaching.

One Hampshire player tested positive just before game so ECB had to decide if others had been in contact. Decided not so game went ahead with positive player isolating.  Not saying which player but you will see we had a change of Wicket Keeper. Spinner also left out but I suspect that was tactical

Surprised there haven't been more comments about the match in progress. It's on a knife edge, with the tail enders doing a good job of setting up semi-decent total. Assuming the weather holds this will almost certainly end in a win for one team or the other. If Hants win and they are still in with a chance of winning the title. Lose and it's all but over.

Agree - they have something about them, seem to get better results than their quality suggests they should. The bowlers have got them out of trouble so many times and ironically not just with the ball !. If they had a decent couple of openers they’d be a top outfit - see we lost early wickets again today, no wonder Vince can play opener, he basically often does anyway…

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hodgey said:

Agree - they have something about them, seem to get better results than their quality suggests they should. The bowlers have got them out of trouble so many times and ironically not just with the ball !. If they had a decent couple of openers they’d be a top outfit - see we lost early wickets again today, no wonder Vince can play opener, he basically often does anyway…

We are well aware of Hants lack of quality but do other teams have much more? Each team has 1 or 2 good players but apart fro that it's pretty average.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Devastating new ball spell by Keith Barker, Notts were 39/5 but Slater 50 and Patterson-White have got them to 102/5. This partnership - and breaking it - critical in the game. Abbas’s next spell could make the game. 

Last time I looked we were nearly 100 with no wickets down after bowling Notts out for 155

Must have a decent chance of winning I would have thought

2 hours ago, John B said:

Last time I looked we were nearly 100 with no wickets down after bowling Notts out for 155

Must have a decent chance of winning I would have thought

Latest is 70/4, 141 ahead. Another key stand building between Vince and Dawson after Hants went from 26/0 to 28/4 earlier. Getting through the new ball is hard. Lights are on for last hour or so. Vince just dropped by Moores off an inside edge, haven’t seen if it’s one that should have been taken or not. Need another 50-60 stand from these two if possible.

Update - now 104/4, better for batting when ball older although still sideways movement with the cloud cover. Been some 50s in the match and Vince nearing his. 

Update - drat. Vince and Dawson out in quick succession. 116/6, 187 ahead. Notts still in thus although anything over 230 to chase will be hard. Vince gone for 52 just moments before the end of play. Gutting.

Edited by saint1977

6 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Somebody needs to straighten up the camera at the hotel end.

6 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Somebody needs to straighten up the camera at the hotel end.

Before or after we win

Notts 105-8

Next week at Lancs will be interesting 

Any News on Abbott?

Spinners doing all the damage now. Having 8 players who all seem to get similar averages with the bat seems to confuse the opposition - that short tail has worked wonders. Funny thing is that it was a similar story with Southern Brave - seems like Vince captains best with a lot of all rounders. Either way it’s been an excellent season from Hampshire led by a talisman captain.

• Like 3

Excellent result. Duckett may consider himself unlucky to be given out when he actually was but as he should have been given out when plumb in front a couple of balls earlier I guess that's Nemesis at work.

Pitch looked difficult most of the time, especially when Nott's lower order started trying to reverse sweep every other ball.  

Edited by Window Cleaner

13 minutes ago, Window Cleaner said:

Excellent result. Duckett may consider himself unlucky to be given out when he actually was but as he should have been given out when plumb in front a couple of balls earlier I guess that's Nemesis at work.

Pitch looked difficult most of the time, especially when Nott's lower order started trying to reverse sweep every other ball.  

Any idea why Crane was not picked on a Spinner friendly pitch

2 minutes ago, Window Cleaner said:

Not really. Didn't hear the commentators talk about it either. During the Warks match they seemed to think he'd been sub-par against Yorks though and Organ is obviously a better batting option.

Why not drop Weatherley for Crane, and have Organ open? He couldn't do any worse as an opener.

Top of Div 1 with an opening batsman who's averaging 18 for the season! 😀

Assuming Yorks vs Warks isn't washed out tomorrow, there will be 4 teams separated by a handful of points. If Warks are one of them they have Somerset in their final match, who are rock bottom and seem to have lost all interest. So Yorks winning tomorrow may be better in that regard, as they have Notts in their final match.

Whatever happens, I wonder if this new format becomes permanent? It's a bit American, divisions followed by a playoff type set up to decide the champion. It's good that all teams have a chance of become champions each season, but of course the Div 2 and 3 matches that follow are meaningless.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Window Cleaner said:

I see that some rain is forecast around the Midlands and North West next week. Two days of rain between  Tuesday and Friday at Nottingham, Liverpool and Birmingham could make us champions without too much effort. 

Enough time for Lancs to get 5 more bonus points than Hants.

7 hours ago, Picard said:

Enough time for Lancs to get 5 more bonus points than Hants.

Really? They'd need to  either make 400/2 and take 3 Hants wickets or 350/2 and 6. I mean it's possible but I don't see them getting the runs for just 2 down. 

I'd be more concerned about Warks tonking Somerset in 2 days. Why are Somerset so depleted just now? Have they all gone off to play gig cricket somewhere or other?

On 15/09/2021 at 08:37, Window Cleaner said:

I see that some rain is forecast around the Midlands and North West next week. Two days of rain between  Tuesday and Friday at Nottingham, Liverpool and Birmingham could make us champions without too much effort. 

Did it not rain for about 5 days at the end of the 1974 season to rob us of the Championship

I remember going to Portsmouth in that season and we comprehensively beat Worcestershire the eventual champions making us odds on to be champions

2 minutes ago, John B said:

Did it not rain for about 5 days at the end of the 1974 season to rob us of the Championship

I remember going to Portsmouth in that season and we comprehensively beat Worcestershire the eventual champions making us odds on to be champions

Yes we wuz robbed.  Somewhere along the line Worcs had a dodgy one innings bash that they won because it was in the rules at that time. Can't remember the exact conditions needed for such a match (no play on the first two days or something like that). We didn't match the conditions for a game like that so they got 10 free points or similar and we sat around in the pavilion somewhere or other.

Do we have any idea who'll be available for Hants on finals day? Is Short still around and available?

13 hours ago, Window Cleaner said:

Really? They'd need to  either make 400/2 and take 3 Hants wickets or 350/2 and 6. I mean it's possible but I don't see them getting the runs for just 2 down. 

I'd be more concerned about Warks tonking Somerset in 2 days. Why are Somerset so depleted just now? Have they all gone off to play gig cricket somewhere or other?

My calculations are not the same as yours - we need arbitration!

Lancs bowl out Hants for under 200 - 3 pts

Lancs score 250 for 2 or less - 2 pts. Then they can declare to stop Hants getting more bowling pts.

Unlikely I know but Lancs have 10 batting pts and Hants have 2.5 in the current table.