Hampshire CCC 2021 Season

Window Cleaner

This T20 team looks a long way short - once Vince and Short are removed you have a load of non-explosive players getting 10s (Fuller exception). The bowling line up seems OK but the batters are giving them impossible numbers to defend. 

1 hour ago, Hodgey said:

This T20 team looks a long way short - once Vince and Short are removed you have a load of non-explosive players getting 10s (Fuller exception). The bowling line up seems OK but the batters are giving them impossible numbers to defend. 

It certainly looks that way, then again apart from the first couple of championship games against pretty mediocre bowling our batting hasn't looked all that great this season at all. Don't really think that the bowling is up to the job either, not without Abbott or a wicket helping the spinners. Pity Barker doesn't play white ball cricket.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the Somerset game. We are really poor, without the 2 overseas players we would have been absolutely hammered. Weatherly isn’t a t20 player - just nurdles it around and doesn’t have many shots, Prest looked way out of his depth and McManus isn’t a batsman. Again felt bowling was ok - Currie decent, not trophy winning but at least competitive. Compare our youngsters with theirs - Banton and  Smeed looked a class above.

Very poor indeed, team selection totally incomprehensible unless there are a few injuries/illnesses. Vince looks completely out of touch, the two overseas players put on a good show and the rest just didn't look good enough. Still with 7 home games to come perhaps we'll pick up a bit. What's the position with Aneurin Donald nowadays ?

6 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

I'm old enough to remember the good old days when Hants were one of the best at T20, rather than the worst.

I remember the good old days when T20 hadn't been thought of, and Greenidge and Richards were opening the batting.

Played a bit better yesterday evening and got the win. Poor again from the 3 star batsmen but Prest, Weatherly and Fuller stepped up to compensate.

Real cricket again tomorrow, I wonder if they'll give Prest a go at 3 or resort to Alsop again. I see that Northeast has left the club, initially on loan at Yorkshire and that we've signed Nick Gubbins from Midddlesex. I see also that Abbas has lost his Pakistan central contact so might we see him back again ?

It’s all a bit odd - doesn’t seem that they have any real strategy or direction - what are they trying to be ? Clearly they didn’t take t20 seriously - so are they aiming to be genuine championship contenders?. One minute the likes of Soames, Stevenson and Northeast are the future the next they are gone. Are they going to stick with young players like Currie, Weatherly and Prest ?. They can’t keep relying on ageing players like Edwards and Barker and The Kolpak angle we relied on so much is not available. 

14 hours ago, Window Cleaner said:

Played a bit better yesterday evening and got the win. Poor again from the 3 star batsmen but Prest, Weatherly and Fuller stepped up to compensate.

Real cricket again tomorrow, I wonder if they'll give Prest a go at 3 or resort to Alsop again. I see that Northeast has left the club, initially on loan at Yorkshire and that we've signed Nick Gubbins from Midddlesex. I see also that Abbas has lost his Pakistan central contact so might we see him back again ?

Looks like Abbott and de Grandhomme will be the overseas players for the last 2 group games. After that I expect it depends on which final group Hants are in on who they get as an overseas player. Some good NZ players around for the next 2 championship games. Conway at Somerset and Jamieson at Surrey could be enough to get the top 2 places.

Superb knock by CDG this morning and good fifty by Organ. 412 and still going. Over to the bowlers if the pitch hasn’t flattened. In other news, a 16 year old has scored a 50 for Sussex in an innings of only 226 total. One to keep an eye on.

Finally a good batting performance, but it wasn’t really the batters who did it ! Like the looks of Organ - surprised he was batting so far down. Getting Amla out twice is going to be very tricky but they’re in a great position. What’s going on with Vince - confidence looks shot.

23 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

F What’s going on with Vince - confidence looks shot.

Too much cricket perhaps. Played Big Bash and then started the PSL until it was postponed. Looked good at the start of Hant's season but that was 3 months ago, been going downhill since.

3 hours ago, Barsiem said:

Anyone know why Northeast has gone?  Did he have the hump as he was dropped from the T20 games?  Or something else?

It was discussed a bit in the pre-match show, but they weren't giving much away. Just that it was more of a divorce than a friendly parting of the ways.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Window Cleaner said:

We are going to get shafted by the weather again . The Glosters have skittled Middlesex for 101 and might even win despite only making 248, won't be much play at the Aegeas today  

Southampton must be the wettest town in England over the last two months.

Amla boat anchor and the weather means another frustrating draw. Along with the previous Leicestershire and Gloucestershire draws that should've been wins.

Gloucestershire will probably win tomorrow, meaning Hants will probably need to beat them for a top 2 place.

19 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Amla boat anchor and the weather means another frustrating draw. Along with the previous Leicestershire and Gloucestershire draws that should've been wins.

Gloucestershire will probably win tomorrow, meaning Hants will probably need to beat them for a top 2 place.

Although  Middlesex are still holding up at tea at Cheltenham, only lost one wicket all day so far. That said, I don't think that their lower order batting is up to much so once the Glosters get amongst it a collapse is likely.

Much as expected Middlesex collapsed losing their last 6 wickets for about 15 runs. Strange how the filthy rich county that they obviously must be are just so poor at cricket just now. Doesn't change all that much for Hants, we'll need to beat Gloucestershire next week.

3 minutes ago, Window Cleaner said:

Much as expected Middlesex collapsed losing their last 6 wickets for about 15 runs. Strange how the filthy rich county that they obviously must be are just so poor at cricket just now. Doesn't change all that much for Hants, we'll need to beat Gloucestershire next week.

If they had drawn then Hants would still be second and likely qualify with a draw. But now they have to win. No doubt the weather will intervene if a win is possible!

2 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

If they had drawn then Hants would still be second and likely qualify with a draw. But now they have to win. No doubt the weather will intervene if a win is possible!

Forecast doesn't look great. Second division is more than likely.

2 hours ago, Window Cleaner said:

Really not looking any too hopeful today. Got a wicket in the first over but since then nada, been tonked about a bit as well. Lead down to about 50 and still 6 wickets to get.

17 ahead with just the tail left. Fingers crossed.

6 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Congratulations to them, I was expecting another frustrating draw. They go into the Div 1 group with a draw and a bad defeat (Somerset results carry over) so it won't be easy.

What's the formula there? Is it half of the total points from the 2 matches?

11 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Yes apparently. They only play the other 4 teams once, so Hants carry over 8.5 points and Somerset 18.5 points.

Felt a bit strange with two batsmen at the crease at the end with no real Hampshire pedigree but great to be in Div 1 

13 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Yes apparently. They only play the other 4 teams once, so Hants carry over 8.5 points and Somerset 18.5 points.

Ah well we'll still start ahead of Yorkshire because they only got a total of 9 points against Lancashire I think. Even then they might end up with less if they get vfned points for the flooding at Headingly. It used to be zero points for an unsafe pitch but I think that has changed now.

13 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

So are we currently bottom of the League as the other four teams involved got the same or more points than us

Is there relegation?

Just now, Window Cleaner said:

Well they've both made a big first class century for us already so I guess we can give them some slack.

I am not complaining just felt strange 

Good to see Gubbins score runs as he has had a pretty lean time recently

7 minutes ago, John B said:

So are we currently bottom of the League as the other four teams involved got the same or more points than us

Is there relegation?

Yorkshire will start below us I think, 4,5 points, half their total against Lancs. It's only the points against the other side from our group that count I think.So us and Somerset, Lancs and Yorks and Notts and Warks.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Here’s the new table then:

Warwicks: Played One match – Points 21 (half of their 42 points v Notts)

Somerset: Played One – Points 18.5 (half of their 37 v Hants)

Lancashire: Played One – Points 17 (half v Yorks)

Hampshire: Played One – Points 8.5 (half v Somerset)

Notts: Played One – Points 5 (half v Warwicks)

Yorks: Played One – Points 4.5 (half v Lancs)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Weston Saint said:

Here’s the new table then:

Warwicks: Played One match – Points 21 (half of their 42 points v Notts)

Somerset: Played One – Points 18.5 (half of their 37 v Hants)

Lancashire: Played One – Points 17 (half v Yorks)

Hampshire: Played One – Points 8.5 (half v Somerset)

Notts: Played One – Points 5 (half v Warwicks)

Yorks: Played One – Points 4.5 (half v Lancs)

So 5 out of the six qualifiers for Div 1 were part of the old first division as it was in 2019. Although Notts would have been relegated had 2020 proceeded as normal. Essex,Surrey and Kent missed out and Lancs got upgraded this time round although they would have been promoted in 2020 anyway.

• Like 1

Well done Hampshire - gubbins looks a good signing and we do seem competitive in 4 day cricket. Youngsters a bit hit and miss but good to see Crane in the wickets - we are very reliant on Abbot but great achievement for that squad to get 2nd.

• Like 1