Afghanistan

whelk

30 minutes ago, whelk said:

America look a lot weaker but Biden is happy. The news cycle will move on. 
I liked Biden before this but can’t stand him now - something about this I don’t know why really. Maybe all the emotional stories. Still fuck empathy let’s think about GDP.

There have been plenty of other emotional stories, especially in China Uighur Genocide

I guess it doesn't warrant any attention though as no-one is going to invade China and put a stop to it.

25 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

There have been plenty of other emotional stories, especially in China Uighur Genocide

I guess it doesn't warrant any attention though as no-one is going to invade China and put a stop to it.

Yeah why give a fuck about this as you haven’t solved that?
Don’t believe in charity either as all goes to warlords. Beggars in streets go home in a Porsches etc.

I think it is hugely hypocritical how western governments don’t hold countries like Saudi, Russia, China to account and wish we would do more.

6 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

How would you know that if you aren't also 'him' as clicking on a profile no longer tells you if a poster is banned?

I think you're mixing your multi accounts up as collinsthedick was b-anned.

I don’t know as I said I think. Think and know are two different concepts

10 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Ah, I see, other atrocities around the world simply aren't valid because of 'what about'.

Good news though, when 'another dirty bomb is set off in London' as you've claimed, it won't get a mention as it will be 'whataboutery'.

That was the whole  point. Isn’t this thread about Afganistan? 
My argument is summed up by Rory Stewart. I take his opinion above someone who has been as close to conflict as playing call of duty whilst eating more pizza Weston.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

That was the whole  point. Isn’t this thread about Afganistan? 
My argument is summed up by Rory Stewart. I take his opinion above someone who has been as close to conflict as playing call of duty whilst eating more pizza Weston.

Never played call of duty.

Have eaten pizza though.

Does your Rory Stewart opinion include :

"They took 16,000 contractors out of the the country overnight and no-one noticed until the morning!"

"They disabled ALL the planes before they left"

(what about) "the Afghan women teaching in schools that are expected to fight against the Taliban"

(what about) "there hasn't been a single casualty since 2018" - although we've already covered the 'ceasefire' since the withdrawal was agreed - "therefore there is zero risk"

"this has not been a costly mission since 2014"

And some whataboutery about North and South Korea thrown in for good measure.

Edited by Weston Super Saint

5 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

(what about) "there hasn't been a single casualty since 2018" - although we've already covered the 'ceasefire' since the withdrawal was agreed - "therefore there is zero risk"

This was where Rory Stewart was being disingenuous; there have been no casualties for 18 months because the Taliban haven't been firing at them. Some of the rest, such as the claims about Bagram airfield, are a serious indictment of the US.

Edited by badgerx16

12 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

This was where Rory Stewart was being disingenuous; there have been no casualties for 18 months because the Taliban haven't been firing at them. Some of the rest, such as the claims about Bagram airfield, are a serious indictment of the US.

TBF he said it has not been a costly mission since 2014. 

24 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

This guy knows stuff as he wrote a brilliant book on travelling through the country. One of the best books I have read. 

I've got a lot of time for Rory, speaks sense. He's given some good perspective on the withdrawal. 

Good to see Greece is spearheading the EU's response to the humanitarian crisis.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58289893

Greece has installed a 40km (25-mile) fence and surveillance system on its border with Turkey amid concern over a surge of migrants from Afghanistan.

spacer.png

Edited by Weston Super Saint
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, whelk said:

An intelligent and well presented summary I thought. Even though I voted for him back in the day, I'm no fan of the Butcher but he knows a shit load more about world politics than any cunt on here that's for sure (no offense).

Unsure what all the hand-wringing is all about? The US are withdrawing (totally) so what is everyone else supposed to do? No grand speaches or inquiries will change that.

Unless we build up our armed forces massively, so that we could stay on our own in situations like this in the fture  - which would cost un-told billions of £ and absolutely zero appetite to do so - then what else can we do? 

10 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Unsure what all the hand-wringing is all about? The US are withdrawing (totally) so what is everyone else supposed to do? No grand speaches or inquiries will change that.

Unless we build up our armed forces massively, so that we could stay on our own in situations like this in the fture  - which would cost un-told billions of £ and absolutely zero appetite to do so - then what else can we do? 

Don’t think anyone is saying stay there on our own but fact that withdrawal has been hugely mismanaged hence lead news story for over a week now.

5 hours ago, kyle04 said:

An intelligent and well presented summary I thought. Even though I voted for him back in the day, I'm no fan of the Butcher but he knows a shit load more about world politics than any cunt on here that's for sure (no offense).

I find it so stupid people constantly referring to him as a ‘war criminal’ like militant sixth form students as if these lot in power have scruples and principles so superior to those of the big bogey man Blair. You don’t have to be his biggest fan to recognise his wisdom. Compare it to many Labour MP responses which are often idiotic and idealistic hence don’t have resonance with ordinary voters.

Edited by whelk
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Yep. People keep whingeing about it, but they ignore the question of what we were actually expected to do after the US withdrew. "Managing it better" etc is just noise, it's not an actual answer.

8 hours ago, Noodles34 said:

And to link AQ with Iran is a fucking joke, Shia and Sunnis, working together, god, give me strength, surely even he knows that doesn’t happen. 

In the article you gave up reading?

32 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep. People keep whingeing about it, but they ignore the question of what we were actually expected to do after the US withdrew. "Managing it better" etc is just noise, it's not an actual answer.

Have you watched or read any news in the last week? Maybe you consider it all ‘noise’?

Just now, whelk said:

Have you watched or read any news in the last week? Maybe you consider it all ‘noise’?

Yep, plenty, it's appalling. I'm hearing lot's of people saying that the US should have stayed and us too if they did. The US didn't stay though so that doesn't get us anywhere - what do you say we should have done in the light of that?

1 hour ago, egg said:

Yep, plenty, it's appalling. I'm hearing lot's of people saying that the US should have stayed and us too if they did. The US didn't stay though so that doesn't get us anywhere - what do you say we should have done in the light of that?

This thread is about US withdrawing. Saying what else could we (UK) do is not the debate.

good analysis piece here: https://news.sky.com/story/a-stain-on-the-west-the-story-of-how-the-greatest-military-force-ever-assembled-abandoned-afghanistan-12386720

Edited by whelk

Listening to Obama’s memoirs audio book and just got to chapter on Afghanistan and interesting that felt wasted first 7 years of occupation by not having coherent strategy to overhaul infrastructure, equip army etc. Also Biden as VP very consistent in let’s get out of there approach and Pentagon loathed him

Edited by whelk

46 minutes ago, whelk said:

.,.. and interesting that felt wasted first 7 years of occupation by not having coherent strategy to overhaul infrastructure, equip army etc....

So, standard US foreign intervention policy.

" Also Biden as VP very consistent in let’s get out of there approach and Pentagon loathed him"

Of course they wanted to stay, they had plenty of big boy's toys that go "boom," to play with. What's the use of Reaper drones if you can't use them ?

Edited by badgerx16

3 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

It’s about to get messier! 

Just wondering what sort of resistance, as the government the Taliban just replaced had very little backbone! Also begs the question why they did not step in as the Taliban where sweeping through the country? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-58239156

They defended their local area - which they have successfully done since before the Russians got involved. But that is as far as they realistically can go, they are a local militia not a national movement.

According to the UK press the US has asked our special forces to stop rescue operations in and around Kabul as they are "making the US look bad". We are also bringing out hundreds of Afghan special forces troops that we have trained; they will be further mentored by the SAS and Paras "for future operations".

1 hour ago, Warriorsaint said:

See, IS back on the scene,...

They never went away. There were 2 attacks in Kabul in May, and a suicide bomber attacked a market in Iraq in July. The Afghan intervention was never about IS - they didn't exist when Nato went in.

• Like 1

Just now, badgerx16 said:

They never went away. There were 2 attacks in Kabul in May, and a suicide bomber attacked a market in Iraq in July. The Afghan intervention was never about IS - they didn't exist when Nato went in.

Absolutely, the intervention was about Al Quiada, Is, Isis,Isil, came after. They’re  all of the same club though. The west is the enemy. They are emboldened now the taliban have defeated the coalition. 

I agree the mission creep was a problem but kept the training camps at bay whilst we were ‘in country’ Now we are gone they have free reign to plan their foreign excursions.

2 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

Absolutely, the intervention was about Al Quiada, Is, Isis,Isil, came after. They’re  all of the same club though. The west is the enemy. They are emboldened now the taliban have defeated the coalition. 

I agree the mission creep was a problem but kept the training camps at bay whilst we were ‘in country’ Now we are gone they have free reign to plan their foreign excursions.

IS will not plan international actions in Afghanistan, they are targetting the Taliban directly, as they view them as Apostate. They will get zero support from the Taliban.

Edited by badgerx16

1 minute ago, Warriorsaint said:

So the explosion today was targeting the Taliban, ok 👌 

No, it was opportunistic. Do a bit of background reading. The Taliban and IS are sworn ideologically opposed enemies, both sides execute any of the other side on sight.

Edited by badgerx16