Greg Gilbert RIP

Turkish

Singer from Southampton band the delays passed away this afternoon after a long battle with cancer. Such a young age too, leaving behind 2 young kids. I knew Greg at school and was a top lad. RIP Greg. 

Edited by Turkish

Shit news on a miserable day - was a few years above me at Bitterne Park and was nice to see a few local lads doing well for themselves.

Condolences to his friends and family, especially his two children. At least he has left behind a legacy for them to be proud of.

Very sad. I was in college when the first few singles and album came out and they became one of the first bands I really got invested in - it was so exciting to have a local band make it. Later, Colin from Delays joined my friends band Dead Rabbits and I hung out with Greg a few times. Always a charming, articulate guy. Such an incredible and unique voice in pop too. Valentine deserved to be massive. RIP Greg. 

Edited by percy windham

13 hours ago, percy windham said:

Very sad. I was in college when the first few singles and album came out and they became one of the first bands I really got invested in - it was so exciting to have a local band make it. Later, Colin from Delays joined my friends band Dead Rabbits and I hung out with Greg a few times. Always a charming, articulate guy. Such an incredible and unique voice in pop too. Valentine deserved to be massive. RIP Greg. 

Really sad news. Never really knew him but had friends who did and chatted with him a few times in the concourse at St Mary's and seen a few gigs. 

Dead Rabbits are a great band by the way. Should be much bigger than they are.

• Like 1

For my sins I was aware the Delays but never really recall hearing any of their work until this evening, great sound, great voice. Feel for his loved ones, I too am helping my wife navigate the stormy waters and uncertainty of stage 4 bowel cancer. Her treatment stopped yesterday, now in hands of palliative care team and second and third opinions. We’re making late substitutions atm, not quite reached sending the keeper up for an injury time corner yet. It’s shit. RIP Greg.

2 hours ago, Winnersaint said:

For my sins I was aware the Delays but never really recall hearing any of their work until this evening, great sound, great voice. Feel for his loved ones, I too am helping my wife navigate the stormy waters and uncertainty of stage 4 bowel cancer. Her treatment stopped yesterday, now in hands of palliative care team and second and third opinions. We’re making late substitutions atm, not quite reached sending the keeper up for an injury time corner yet. It’s shit. RIP Greg.

So sorry to hear that Winnersaint. It’s such an awful disease and I wish you and your wife some better news.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Winnersaint said:

God bless you mate that’s horrendous. So sorry to hear this. Let’s hope the 2nd opinions bring some more positive news 🤞

3 hours ago, Winnersaint said:

Feel for you and your wife at this awful time. Your family and all the positive relationships you make in the short time you have on this planet is all that really matters. Take care mush.

11 hours ago, Winnersaint said:

That's so grim. Best of luck to you all. 

15 hours ago, Winnersaint said:

That's really shit.  All the best to you and your wife, hope you hear good news soon and a late winner.

• 1 month later...