Lewis Hamilton

Chapel End

On 14/11/2021 at 18:51, Chapel End said:

Incredible driver

Incredible race

Incredible championship 

I don't want to take too much away from him because he did really well to come back from starting last on the grid for the sprint qualifying race to winning the GP on Sunday to keep the title race wide open.

But...

Some in the media are describing Sunday's performance as one of the greatest ever, but I really don't think it's even close. He started 10th, made a good start and made up a few places in the first few laps because his car was blatantly faster than the midfielders around him, then there was a virtual saftey car which bunched them up again, meaning he was never more than a few seconds off the lead. 

When I think of the best F1 drives of all time, I think of Senna lapping everyone bar Damon Hill in the wet at Donnington in 1993, or Schumacher coming second at Catalunya in 1994 despite his car being stuck in 5th gear for virtually the entire race, or Damon Hill coming agonisingly close to winning in the dogshit Arrows at Budapest in 1997 only to suffer a technical failure on the penultimate lap and finish second, or even Jenson Button recovering from last after colliding with his own team-mate, and getting a penalty and a puncture to win at Montreal in 2011.

It was a very good drive from Hamilton on Sunday, but it wasn't even in the same league as any of those IMO.

I really don’t get the fuss over Sunday’s drive either. He just breezed past everyone on the straight, thanks to massively superior horsepower. Max made it interesting with some good battery deployment to defend but it only ever looked like a matter of time.

I’d say any of the six drivers who finished at Spa in ‘98 put in a far more impressive drive than that, just as one example.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I don't watch F1 but can someone explain what's going on with Hamilton?

Previously, the overwhelming feeling I got was that people were saying he was incredible, one of the best drivers ever and winning all those titles wasn't just down to having the best car.

Now I guess he doesn't have the best car, but if he was as good as people were saying then shouldn't he still be finishing high up in races because he's one of the best drivers of all time?

Is he one of the greatest, or did he just have the best car for quite a while? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Cat said:

I don't watch F1 but can someone explain what's going on with Hamilton?

Previously, the overwhelming feeling I got was that people were saying he was incredible, one of the best drivers ever and winning all those titles wasn't just down to having the best car.

Now I guess he doesn't have the best car, but if he was as good as people were saying then shouldn't he still be finishing high up in races because he's one of the best drivers of all time?

Is he one of the greatest, or did he just have the best car for quite a while? 

Even the greatest driver in the world would struggle in a race driving a 1980's Mini against a field of modern day Audis.

Hamilton has been consistently good for many years, beating some very good team mates in the same car.

Realistically, the only way to decide who is the 'greatest' would be to put them all in a race in identical cars.

53 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Even the greatest driver in the world would struggle in a race driving a 1980's Mini against a field of modern day Audis.

Hamilton has been consistently good for many years, beating some very good team mates in the same car.

Realistically, the only way to decide who is the 'greatest' would be to put them all in a race in identical cars.

So, in effect, if his team had the best cars until this season he was racing against 1 other person for the win?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Cat said:

So, in effect, if his team had the best cars until this season he was racing against 1 other person for the win?

Have you really got nothing better to do than rip on the achievements of the most successful F1 driver in history just because he’s not having a great season??  Lionel Messi was pretty shite for PSG last year wasn’t he.  Maybe is was the rest of the Barcelona team that were good not him?

You clearly don’t like the guy, so why bother posting about him in the first place?

2 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Have you really got nothing better to do than rip on the achievements of the most successful F1 driver in history just because he’s not having a great season??  Lionel Messi was pretty shite for PSG last year wasn’t he.  Maybe is was the rest of the Barcelona team that were good not him?

You clearly don’t like the guy, so why bother posting about him in the first place?

As I said I was just curious, I don't watch F1 so have no real knowledge of the reasons he's not winning races.

How come his team have gone from being the best to being out of the running for races? It's quite a turnaround.

26 minutes ago, The Cat said:

As I said I was just curious, I don't watch F1 so have no real knowledge of the reasons he's not winning races.

How come his team have gone from being the best to being out of the running for races? It's quite a turnaround.

I don’t think you’re as subtle as you think you are…  comments you’ve made asking if “he was only racing his teammate because he has the best car” and how “if he’s so good, why can’t he win in a shit car” are the typical tactic of people who have an agenda against Hamilton or any other of the greats.  

It should be obvious to anyone that the person with most wins, most poles and joint most world championships must be pretty damn good.   

48 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

I don’t think you’re as subtle as you think you are…  comments you’ve made asking if “he was only racing his teammate because he has the best car” and how “if he’s so good, why can’t he win in a shit car” are the typical tactic of people who have an agenda against Hamilton or any other of the greats.  

It should be obvious to anyone that the person with most wins, most poles and joint most world championships must be pretty damn good.   

I said "I guess he doesn't have the best car" which you've somehow twisted to me saying he "can't win in a shit car". 

You're obviously a fan, and must be quite passionate considering your defence of him here.

Why is his car suddenly "shit" though? How can a team that had the best cars one season go to being further behind so quickly? Just seems bizarre to me. Presumably they had the best engineers and mechanics before but now don't?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
15 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Not necessarily Hamilton related, but the FIA announced nearly 2 weeks ago that Red Bull broke the rules, yet for some reason seem very reluctant to communicate any sort of penalty for doing so.

They'll get away with a fine I reckon now, even teams like mercedes who say they’re going to overspend next year if RB are let off, they won’t. Teams like Mercedes have car reputations to uphold, whereas Red Bull have already shown they don’t care about their reputation as much (they’re hated in most other things they do) 

On 21/10/2022 at 20:50, Weston Super Saint said:

Not necessarily Hamilton related, but the FIA announced nearly 2 weeks ago that Red Bull broke the rules, yet for some reason seem very reluctant to communicate any sort of penalty for doing so.

Announced tomorrow apparently, slap on the wrist, fine, and a reduction in wind tunnel time for next season I’d expect, but basically encourages cheating, if you just want to win short term. 

Will be interesting to see what’s said, RB making a statement at 17:30 tomorrow evening supposedly…

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...