Help save Derby County

Bob76

Liverpool Echo are reporting that Everton have interviewed Rooney (as well as Lampard) for the vacant position, so there's a good chance Derby will be looking for a new manager soon as well. 

I was there in 2007 and, yes, it hurt. But I won't dismiss them completely because of the actions of a small minority of their fans. They are a similar sized club to us (the stadiums are virtually identical) and it would be very sad if they were to go out of existence completely. 

Best outcome would be if a points deduction sent them down and Wycombe get promoted (they are currently top of L1). Justice will have been served if that happens IMO. 

• Like 5

Well I don't want them to go out of existence, I wouldn't want that for any club (ok, except one). But I want "sleeping giant" clubs like them, Notts Forest, Sheff Wed etc. to remain sleeping forever, so that Saints have a better chance of remaining in the PL. Look at Leeds and Villa for example, not to mention NewSandCastle, if they get a good foothold in the PL we are pushed lower toward the dreaded drop zone.

23 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

I agree, and yob behaviour goes hand in hand with football, always has and probably always will.

It does, but that is not a good thing and it is not mandatory. In my experience most football supporters have been decent, generous people but unfortunately the sport does attract some extremists.

2 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Well I don't want them to go out of existence, I wouldn't want that for any club (ok, except one). But I want "sleeping giant" clubs like them, Notts Forest, Sheff Wed etc. to remain sleeping forever, so that Saints have a better chance of remaining in the PL. Look at Leeds and Villa for example, not to mention NewSandCastle, if they get a good foothold in the PL we are pushed lower toward the dreaded drop zone.

I don't really think it works like that any more. The difference in gate receipts between us and a club like Leeds, Sunderland or Wednesday probably buys Paul Pogba's watch these days. TV money just dwarfs everything and the League can only sustain a certain threshold of sugar daddies, trying to buy Champions League football. We've basically reached that now with about 12 clubs all after the top four places. You end up with situations like Everton have, spending half a billion and in the bottom third. 

• Like 1

If we look at this from a sporting perspective i am grudgingly coming round to the idea that Rayne Wooney might make a decent young manager. Maybe having to work with youngsters and loanees and getting rid of the senior player dead wood with a 'closed mindset' has given him the chance to build something good. He is getting top 6 results from a lower mid table team under a lot of pressure which is commendable. Pesonally I hope he stays at Derby and keeps them up as that would truly be a sporting achievement. I think he would do well at a lower/mid level Prem team like Villa or Brighton but maybe not at Everton who seem to think they should be in the top 4.

• Like 2

f**k them I say , only a few weeks ago on their forum they were discussing be takien over and signing players again . 

As others have said none were questioning where the money was comming from when they were gambling on promotion. None questioned the value of Pride Park or what ever it’s called when they sold it over what it was actually worth . 

I’ve allways found Derby fans to be quite gobby too . 

On 18/01/2022 at 17:51, Paul Chuckle said:

As someone who was at Pride Park in 2007 and the goading by their supporters after they beat us on Penalties I've not got any time for them. 

I seem to recall Billy Davies celebrating after the first leg like they were already in the final. Didn't they also injure Jones and Bale in the first leg? 

Yes they kicked the shit out of us all game in the play off first leg. Billy Davies and his pub team got what they deserved when they got promoted. Played off the park in nearly every game, the worst points total in the PL, and misery for their gobshite goading fans.

If Derby’s problems go way beyond Boro and Wycombe, they owe HMRC a small fortune the stadium ownership is a mess etc etc etc.  I lived in Derby for years, have friends who are fans and despite that play off game have a soft spot for them so I don’t want to see them liquidated but clearly it is going to take a big club or two being wiped out before chairmen start taking the job of balancing the books seriously!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...