Help save Derby County

Bob76

Hi,

I know some on here do not like Derby but my in laws are from Derby and the brother in law is a big rams fan and season ticket holder. I have been there numerous times and although they all know me as a Saint we always have a great time and some real good banter.

This season they have already had 21 points deducted and now the EFL are threatening more sanctions which could result in liquidation. They are a club very similar in size and history to us so I ask that you all look at the petition below and sign it, if a club this size can go under them we are all at risk.

Please sign to help fellow fans that are all part of the football family and a very nice bunch.

https://chng.it/mbrP5ss7

Thanks Bob

It seems that a couple of other clubs, particularly Middleborough and Wycombe have it in for then and keep moaning to the league.

Most rams fans I talk to accept the 21 points but every time they make progress they get threatened with more sanctions and it is now putting potential investors off. Now threatened if they do not have a plan by end of month could be liquidated.

3 minutes ago, Bob76 said:

It seems that a couple of other clubs, particularly Middleborough and Wycombe have it in for then and keep moaning to the league.

Most rams fans I talk to accept the 21 points but every time they make progress they get threatened with more sanctions and it is now putting potential investors off. Now threatened if they do not have a plan by end of month could be liquidated.

Clubs don't get points deducted just because other teams moan to the governing body about them, they must have done something.

25 minutes ago, Bob76 said:

Why don't you think Wycombe and Middlesbrough have a point? Derby's financial cheating potentially cost Boro a playoff spot and Wycombe a place in the Championship.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 2

Sorry last post so will try to answer.

They may have a point and all their fans that I know accept that the previous owner did things that were wrong, for that they got a points deduction them another for going into admin 21 in total.

I think the point is more punishment will not help to get them out of the financial situation they are in, which as usual is not the fault of the fans, the people responsible have left, Derby will be relegated, can't buy any players and having to lose players.

So is it fair to keep punishing or should the league be trying to make sure teams survive in some form.

Yeah, from an outsiders perspective, Derby bent a load of the flimsy FFP rules to spend more than they could afford, gambling for promotion. Something to do with their stadium/sponsorship. Mel Morris was hailed as a "genius" by the Derby fans, prompting images such as the one below, and despite never achieving promotion: 

r/Championship - Mel Morris is a genius

Obviously, Lampard, Cocu and Rooney won't have been cheap, despite their relatively inexperienced managerial careers and Rooney and Ashley Cole were there as players in recent years, again, will not have been cheap.

Now, Derby and fans are crying for sympathy from those in the Championship, despite lauding it over everyone over recent years and they aren't getting it from anywhere. They still have a player they signed for £10m in Bielik on their books, for example...

I also believe Derby appealed their initial points deduction and a decision wasn't made until the season was over. Had Derby received their points deduction when originally stated, they would have been relegated and Wycombe would have stayed up, rather than playing out this current "great comeback" storyline.

Now, I don't want Derby to liquidate, and I know Bury have in recent years, but I cannot see a club of Derby's size going under and believe this is just another one of those stories that usually gets put out for clubs in this situation to push a deal further forward.

Ask any other neutral Championship fan and they believe their punishments are fully deserved, as I mentioned, they were spending much more than everyone else, taking play-off spots, but not achieving promotion, Derby fans were lapping it up each season and it was clear to all that if they were to continue then it was going to go tits up, which it has...

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Bob76 said:

Sorry last post so will try to answer.

They may have a point and all their fans that I know accept that the previous owner did things that were wrong, for that they got a points deduction them another for going into admin 21 in total.

I think the point is more punishment will not help to get them out of the financial situation they are in, which as usual is not the fault of the fans, the people responsible have left, Derby will be relegated, can't buy any players and having to lose players.

So is it fair to keep punishing or should the league be trying to make sure teams survive in some form.

Middlesbrough's and Wycombe's point is that Derby screwed their promotion and survival chances, the punishments Derby got did not resolve that. If you think it is unfair on Derby... how about how fair it was for Middlesbrough and Wycombe and their fans?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Katalinic said:

I still remember their fans taunting us after the play off penalty shoot out in 2006-7. Not that I hold a grudge 😉.

Me too. I have a memory like an elephant and the physique to match. We had to stand there and take their taunts and insults when all we wanted to do was get on the coach and go home.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Me too. I have a memory like an elephant and the physique to match. We had to stand there and take their taunts and insults when all we wanted to do was get on the coach and go home.

They seemed more interested in that than celebrating the win. Weird lot.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Katalinic said:

I still remember their fans taunting us after the play off penalty shoot out in 2006-7. Not that I hold a grudge 😉.

Very fresh in my mind too. Celebrate victory or taunt the defeated opponent? Thuggish behaviour by fans of Billy Davies team of thugs at the time. It's tasteless to revel in the misery of others but I shed no tears for Derby.

Edited by Colinjb
  • Like 3

Signed. Dont like to see clubs potentially liqudated, especially based on the actions of previous owners. No such thing as the club being too big to go under. They've been punished enough as it is with the 21 points and transfer embargo. Its also good to see the job that Rooney is doing. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Katalinic said:

It was so sweet when we won there under Poortvleidt and completely outplayed their journeymen clogged with our kids.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Katalinic said:

Yep. Then walking out the ground into torrential rain just to further compound the misery. 

• Like 1

I remember back in 2009 when we went into administration, we tried to avoid the points deduction by saying it wasn't Saints that went into administration; it was the holding company Southampton Leisure holdings.  The football league were having none of it because a few years earlier, none other than Derby County had escaped the points deduction in exactly this way.  Have I got this right ?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bpsaint said:

Yep. Then walking out the ground into torrential rain just to further compound the misery. 

Boy did that rain, walking back to a pub where my car was parked to then have to drive home.

f**king soaked doesn’t come close, it’s a good job it was that wet or things would of got pwoppa nawty afterwards.

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Regardless of your feelings towards Derby, you have to feel bad for Bob76 who clearly misjudged this forum when starting the thread 😂

Not really that's why I added the opening bit.

I just don't want to see any club go out of business because of the actions of some dick of an owner. They will get relegated this season and I feel 21 points is enough.

As for that game I was there and it hurt, I was with the relatives and friends and never bought a drink for the next couple of days.

Not sure we would have been any different if we had won, also I think we have done better in the aftermath.

• Like 1

On 16/01/2022 at 18:50, Bob76 said:

They should just take their medicine and be demoted. They cheated the books and WW got relegated in their place - That should be put right.

They deserve no sympathy as a club until then.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bob76 said:

Not really that's why I added the opening bit.

I just don't want to see any club go out of business because of the actions of some dick of an owner. They will get relegated this season and I feel 21 points is enough.

As for that game I was there and it hurt, I was with the relatives and friends and never bought a drink for the next couple of days.

Not sure we would have been any different if we had won, also I think we have done better in the aftermath.

Not necessarily. They've closed the gap to only 8 points.

12 hours ago, bender said:

I remember back in 2009 when we went into administration, we tried to avoid the points deduction by saying it wasn't Saints that went into administration; it was the holding company Southampton Leisure holdings.  The football league were having none of it because a few years earlier, none other than Derby County had escaped the points deduction in exactly this way.  Have I got this right ?  

No think that was Leicester 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bpsaint said:

So that's their gobshite fans, the weather...I'll add the roadworks on the motorways, getting home at 6am, "running out" of beer in the visitors end, and them moaning that the reason they only bought a couple of thousand down to St Mary's for a Saturday game was the lunchtime kick-off. We took over 5,000 up there a few days later midweek...nah, let 'em sweat.

What a sad reaction all round.

A club best us in a match and their fans celebrated. We must hate all other clubs, apart from maybe Hartlepool?

I know the past owner broke the rules but so have many clubs, Middleborough, Bournemouth, Forest and many others, that does not mean I want those clubs to go out of existence. The fans of those clubs are innocent and Derby have had the points deducted, they will probably go down as cannot buy players are losing some they have and may lose the manager.

Thankfully a lot have signed the petition but it's a free world so understand is some don't. But then don't look for help if we end up needing help.

1 minute ago, Bob76 said:

What a sad reaction all round.

A club best us in a match and their fans celebrated. We must hate all other clubs, apart from maybe Hartlepool?

I know the past owner broke the rules but so have many clubs, Middleborough, Bournemouth, Forest and many others, that does not mean I want those clubs to go out of existence. The fans of those clubs are innocent and Derby have had the points deducted, they will probably go down as cannot buy players are losing some they have and may lose the manager.

Thankfully a lot have signed the petition but it's a free world so understand is some don't. But then don't look for help if we end up needing help.

I would imagine a lot of these posts are a tad tongue-in-cheek and some will have probably signed it anyway.

• Like 1

I don't want Derby to go out of existence but I'm quite happy that they get all the points deductions due to them !!

Football fans get all emotional about their clubs but if they clearly break the rules, then they have to be penalised !

I've seen nothing to mitigate in their favour, therefore , so be it....

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

It was the behaviour of their fans that I didn't like. What goes on at the upper levels is a different matter.

I'm not talking about the upper levels. A large amount of football fans are at the lower end of the evolutionary scale and behave accordingly, here included. If you don't like a bit of taunting and verbal abuse then maybe this isn't the sport for you.

Question that gets skirted around, is why football clubs as companies should be treated differently than any other that faces liquidation? We went through things, and while many think Rupes was an arse, at least he tried to do things properly, and the debt was what, £14m and IIRC (but stand to be corrected) not to HMRC. Our neighbours' troubles were discussed at length (is that thread still ongoing?) and really, the preferred creditors etc is a complete nonsense.

Question comes down to - Is it imperative for the community for clubs to survive, or can a phoenix club be acceptable? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

I'm not talking about the upper levels. A large amount of football fans are at the lower end of the evolutionary scale and behave accordingly, here included. If you don't like a bit of taunting and verbal abuse then maybe this isn't the sport for you.

I get the evolutionary / rivalry aspect to it - football is so exciting exactly because of that. Therefore, we take the taunts etc, but also give it too. Simple!

You know what I bet some of their fans are morons and acted in the wrong way after that play-off game. However I’ve seen enough of our lot to know we also have plenty who don’t act in the right way. Ultimately clubs are there for their community and the impact of them being liquidated would be catastrophic. Let’s live and let live, life’s too short. Good luck DCFC

• Like 3

If Everton went down the shitter financially after taking Koeman and their fans giving it large saying they were going to crack the top four, they had a glass ceiling, etc. I wouldn't feel any sympathy for them.

The same goes for Derby, their overspending/breaking of the rules just hasn't affected us directly, but it has a number of other clubs. There's a reason why they got a 21 point deduction, rather than the standard 10.

• Like 3

As someone who was at Pride Park in 2007 and the goading by their supporters after they beat us on Penalties I've not got any time for them. 

I seem to recall Billy Davies celebrating after the first leg like they were already in the final. Didn't they also injure Jones and Bale in the first leg? 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Good behaviour is the very definition of a sport. What you are describing is yob behaviour.