Might as well play with 9 men, if Elynoussi and Diallo picked.

Andrew Watson

If it takes just two players in such a large squad to disrupt the first team that speaks volumes about how poor the quality overall is, including the coaching. Yes, Ely-no-usey was terrible and contributed little, but Diallo was actually no worse than JWP and at least showed more flair and ability to move and pass forward.  Diallo was definitely not the reason we lost that game…it was all about the non-existent goal threat, the lack of pace in attack waiting until all 11 opposing players were behind the ball, the lack of through balls, the lack of ideas in and around the box.

• Like 5

Probably 5 million plus a year wasted on these dreadful players wages, why did we not get rid of Diallo when there was interest last year and surely we cannot still be serious in wanting to extend the other jokers contract. There are others as well who are bleeding the club dry, for so little effort, how did it ever get to this?

Who would people have played in CM with Lavia not fully fit, AMN injured and Stu presumably not fit either? Diallo was okay the other night but looks like another player completely crippled by nerves and lack of confidence whenever he gets the ball.

The difference between all our players is greatly exaggerated. None are world class . They are all between international and slightly too good for the Championship class. Some are in form others out of form, some are inexperienced others slightly past their peek. Most are carrying knocks of some form so need not to start or be substituted.  Lavia would of course play every minute if fit enough. It shouldn't make a difference but the players you cheer are more likely to play better than those you boo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom & Gerry said:

The difference between all our players is greatly exaggerated. None are world class . They are all between international and slightly too good for the Championship class. Some are in form others out of form, some are inexperienced others slightly past their peek. Most are carrying knocks of some form so need not to start or be substituted.  Lavia would of course play every minute if fit enough. It shouldn't make a difference but the players you cheer are more likely to play better than those you boo.

Ely is not too good for the Championship.  He isn’t the only one.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, saintwbu said:

Who would people have played in CM with Lavia not fully fit, AMN injured and Stu presumably not fit either? Diallo was okay the other night but looks like another player completely crippled by nerves and lack of confidence whenever he gets the ball.

Diallo is bad but nowhere near as much of a problem as Ely. 

I think Diallo will be OK in the championship to be honest. Ely is barely even championship level. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

Ely is not too good for the Championship.  He isn’t the only one.

You are entitled to your opinion but 49 caps and a good goalscoring record  for Norway,  in Europe and for Celtic would suggest he might be.  Managers don't pick him just to make up the numbers, but I recognise we have to have a scapegoat. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tom & Gerry said:

You are entitled to your opinion but 49 caps and a good goalscoring record  for Norway,  in Europe and for Celtic would suggest he might be.  Managers don't pick him just to make up the numbers, but I recognise we have to have a scapegoat. 

He is not a scapegoat, he is a very limited (poor) premier league player, who gets picked all the time.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Tom & Gerry said:

Been here 5 years, been shit for 5 years. That's not a scapegoat.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

He is not a scapegoat, he is a very limited (poor) premier league player, who gets picked all the time.

Maybe, but it's all relative. Perhaps the rest of the team aren't very good either. My point is that there is not much between all the players and when we lose it is more because the team as a whole hasn't functioned , than down to one or two players.

• Like 2

On 17/03/2023 at 16:55, Tom & Gerry said:

Maybe, but it's all relative. Perhaps the rest of the team aren't very good either. My point is that there is not much between all the players and when we lose it is more because the team as a whole hasn't functioned , than down to one or two players.

We know the team is poor but in a poor team he stands out as being exceptionally shite. He really doesn’t offer anything apart from apparently being very good when he doesn’t have the ball. I always thought it was kind of key to being a footballer that you’re good when you have the ball but I guess in this new hipster world we live in that’s the view of a dinosaur.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We know the team is poor but in a poor team he stands out as being exceptionally shite. He really doesn’t offer anything apart from apparently being very good when he doesn’t have the ball. I always thought it was kind of key to being a footballer that you’re good when you have the ball but I guess in this new hipster world we live in that’s the view of a dinosaur.

We have to recognise that some players are better when they don’t have the ball than when they do have it. This applies at all levels, in my long career in pub football all my team mates said it would be for the best if I didn’t touch the ball because I looked so much better when I was nowhere near it. I think this may have been why I was often sub and even more often out of the squad altogether.

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, stknowle said:

We have to recognise that some players are better when they don’t have the ball than when they do have it. This applies at all levels, in my long career in pub football all my team mates said it would be for the best if I didn’t touch the ball because I looked so much better when I was nowhere near it. I think this may have been why I was often sub and even more often out of the squad altogether.

Seems like you were ahead of your time you’d be a key player these days

On 15/03/2023 at 23:05, Whitey Grandad said:

Yes.

Why was that starting lineup out there?

Have we had any explanation yet?

Please don't join in the chorus of the brainless idiots who start threads like this and jump on any bandwagon that happens to slag off our players.

These johnny-come-lately so called Saints fans are probably skates sh*t stirring.

1 minute ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Please don't join in the chorus of the brainless idiots who start threads like this and jump on any bandwagon that happens to slag off our players.

These johnny-come-lately so called Saints fans are probably skates sh*t stirring.

Well I know I’m not one of those. Do you have any answer to my question?

• Like 1

On 17/03/2023 at 21:25, Tom & Gerry said:

It's been 15 EPL games since his last goal or assist. That assist against Arsenal came after 16 games without a goal or an assist. And is his last 38 matches (equivalent to a full season) he has 2 assists and 1 goal. As terrible as we are, that is just utterly diabolical from an attacking player. It's not coincidence that our attacking output collapsed from the moment we somehow decided he should be first name on the teamsheet. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Please please please, if there is any sanity left in this club, no more Elyounoussi. Did you see how easily the City defenders outpaced and outmuscled him?  I know it is Man City, but every club easily outmuscles and outpaces him. He wasn't good enough four years ago, and he's not good enough now. He may do okay in a slower pace league, but in this league he is so many miles off it. 

We need to win games. Draws are not gonna be much use now. We need to find a way to score some goals. We need more than a player who has registered a single assist in the league all season, despite having ridiculous amounts of playing time.  Djenepo now has more assists in the league this season than Moi! And he has played about a quarter of the playing time, plus lots of that was playing left back in a back 4 earlier in the season. It really shows just how poor Moi is. 

Edited by sydney_saint
  • Like 6