The modern day footballer

whelk

They’ve apparently apologised etc. However I bet that’s just come from their Corporate Communications Department and the players have no idea about any apology. As Simon Jordan said on TalkSPORT, these players need to remember where they came from.

• Like 1

Who remembers when our players turned up in the old Dell car park in their cars and signed autographs for ages.  Remember Bobby Stokes just after he'd broke into the first team getting worried about being late and getting a bollocking off Laurie if he spent any longer signing autographs. Then there was Terry Hurlock turning up in his old builders van happy to spend time signing once he'd managed to shut the doors that were falling off his clapped out old van. How times have changed !!!

Edited by 64saint
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, whelk said:

Look at these overpaid twats ignoring a little Leeds supporting kid. Oh the beautiful PL with all its relatable stars.

Can’t say I particularly have an issue with that. At the ground, after the game I’d expect the players to put a bit more of an effort into it but at their hotel I think they’re entitled to be left alone.

Similarly happened with Arsenal only a few days ago. Players go over to sign a shirt but not one player says anything to the poor girl they are signing it for. Just heads down with headphones in. These twats really are paid too much, and the captain should be giving them a bollocking if anything like this ever happens.

37 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Can’t say I particularly have an issue with that. At the ground, after the game I’d expect the players to put a bit more of an effort into it but at their hotel I think they’re entitled to be left alone.

I agree.  Generally teams for obvious reasons don't advertise where they are staying, and I think they have a right to some privacy.  As you say there are periods on match day when players will and should be available for autographs & photos.  Still, the players have made themselves an easy target with this

45 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Funny how so many seem to hate Grealish who is known for acknowledging and having time for fans. Obviously can’t be constant but FFS just a smile wouldn’t hurt 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, whelk said:

Funny how so many seem to hate Grealish who is known for acknowledging and having time for fans. Obviously can’t be constant but FFS just a smile wouldn’t hurt 

I don't really get the hate for him, he seems to absolutely love playing football, has time for all the fans, even though it was clear he would leave Villa he put his all into them and left with respect. He's clearly not a very bright individual but he seems to overall not be a bad guy.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

Similarly happened with Arsenal only a few days ago. Players go over to sign a shirt but not one player says anything to the poor girl they are signing it for. Just heads down with headphones in. These twats really are paid too much, and the captain should be giving them a bollocking if anything like this ever happens.

What are they supposed to say that would have any meaning in those situations? A good many of them are probably only semi-literate so probably best they keep their mouths shut. 

Edited by Charlie Wayman

Just now, Charlie Wayman said:

sWhat are they supposed to say that would have any meaning in those situation? A good many of them are probably only semi-literate so probably best they keep their mouths shut. 

a hello, or at least a smile, is not too much to ask

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Andrew Watson said:

A lot of premier league footballers are classless,egotistical, mercenary individuals,the worst part of that is that they are put there by the fans who worship them.Still detest most  of them,a real days work would finish most of them off.

I'm sure some are, but I'm equally sure a lot aren't. The problem is  they grow up in such a cosseted, artificial world and if they are even moderately successful get to lead a fantasy life. I don't fixate too much on what other people have and haven't got, but it really sticks in my throat when they start lecturing / signalling about  social issues they think are important, when for the most part, the people who pay their wages are  more concerned with just getting by. 

It always struck me that players that became successful later in life, having experience a bit of reality along the way,  are much more grounded and personable.  

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

a hello, or at least a smile, is not too much to ask

Exactly,  it is not expecting full on Tom Cruise and mix for hours but a nod of the head and smile at the kid is absolutely nothing they could not have done at zero cost to them in terms of time and effort.

Edited by whelk

Ignore the kid is obviously terrible, but I’ve absolutely no issue with them ignore full grown blokes who are waiting in a hotel lobby for them, the absolute dangers. 

• Haha 2

On 01/05/2023 at 17:23, 64saint said:

Who remembers when our players turned up in the old Dell car park in their cars and signed autographs for ages.  Remember Bobby Stokes just after he'd broke into the first team getting worried about being late and getting a bollocking off Laurie if he spent any longer signing autographs. Then there was Terry Hurlock turning up in his old builders van happy to spend time signing once he'd managed to shut the doors that were falling off his clapped out old van. How times have changed !!!

Our players still sign autographs before the game in the car park. It's organised with a barrier for the fans to stand behind and the players work their way along talking to the kids and signing stuff.

It's a nice thing for the club to allow, takes no more than 5-10 minutes for each player and is great for the kids. 

Not sure any of them are turning up in old vans now although I remember Matt Targett parking up in a decidedly average Golf or something when he was younger. No doubt he's upgraded that a little bit in recent times!

I think the Saints players have generally been very good with the fans, particularly the younger ones, even in recent times. In the lower leagues, most of them would stop for a chat and a pic but, when we arrived back in the Premier League, that still continued even as the quality and status of the players improved. Steven Davis and Rickie were both brilliant with my kids and we often had to stay behind after a game to meet them.

One time, Davo was working his way down the line when he reached my son and daughter. My son had his pic taken with him and when Davis went to have a pic with my then 5 year old daughter she looked him straight in the face and said "no thank you, I'm waiting for Rickie Lambert". He took it in good heart, "kids, eh?", and a couple of the other players were dying with laughter behind him. I suspect he might have heard about it a few times on the training ground the next day, from those players especially! But can you imagine the reaction she'd have got from some of the so-called superstars now? Although maybe they wouldn't have heard her with their headphones on anyway...

Edited by Ivan Katalinic's 'tache
  • Like 2

There is no substitute for basic ‘common courtesy’ and those Leeds guys with their heads in their phones (not even looking up!) was the lowest form of social behaviour IMHO !

So far up their own arses that they’ve virtually disappeared !

Sums up today’s Premier league I’m afraid 😧 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eurosaint said:

There is no substitute for basic ‘common courtesy’ and those Leeds guys with their heads in their phones (not even looking up!) was the lowest form of social behaviour IMHO !

I guess I’d have to put myself in that category as I have also walked through reception at a Travelodge, looking at my phone, several hours before work. 

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I guess I’d have to put myself in that category as I have also walked through reception at a Travelodge, looking at my phone, several hours before work. 

No doubt oblivious to the kids whispering - There’s a mod

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I would suggest they are at work walking through the travel lodge

3 hours ago, eurosaint said:

The clubs should put it in their contracts. They are are at work and those fans are 'customers'. £80 odd K a week and can't be bothered to make some kid's day with a selfie or autograph.