The Great Summer Exodus

EBS1980

I was initially Evolution over Revolution with our squad but now I'm thinking it should be vice versa or this losing mentality is going to follow us into next season.

Russell Martin has a fucker of job on his hands.

Edited by SNSUN
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I was initially Evolution over Revolution with our squad but now I'm thinking it should be vice versa or this losing mentality is going to follow us into next season.

Russell Martin has a fucker of job on his hands.

I thibk that’s the biggest challenge tbh, this mentality we have developed, the soft underbelly to our team. We need some leaders and a bit of grit in the squad. 

• Like 4

Wondering if Stu Armstrong might have a role to play under Martin, tend to think he’s one player the possession game might suit and he’d get space in that league. Amongst the ‘senior’ players would not be averse to SA staying on after the incoming cull. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Wondering if Stu Armstrong might have a role to play under Martin, tend to think he’s one player the possession game might suit and he’d get space in that league. Amongst the ‘senior’ players would not be averse to SA staying on after the incoming cull. 

I d keep theo too

• Like 1

20 hours ago, EBS1980 said:

I thibk that’s the biggest challenge tbh, this mentality we have developed, the soft underbelly to our team. We need some leaders and a bit of grit in the squad. 

And are there any leaders in the squad at present? Quoting S-Clarke: " I look back to 2011 and we had Kelvin, Fonte, Morgan, Hammond, Lambo down the spine. Now that's a spine, experience, leadership, guts and quality." Who have we got today? Yes, i'd like to keep Alcaraz, Sulemana, Tino, Edozie but that's not a leadership spine.

My concern is we have 2 months before the next season starts. That's hardly any time to find a completely new spine and get them to gel together, so then it goes back to what SNsun says about evolution or revolution. I can see the club taking the former approach and with our losing mentality, we slip in to mid Championship table mediocrity or worse very quickly. It's a real catch-22. I'd be looking for a striker (perhaps from the lower leagues), a forward thinking midfielder and given the centre backs seem to be imploding (wouldn't be surprised if ABK, Salisu, Bednerek, DCC & Lyanco all leave), another experienced centre back (Jack S. possibly?).

• 2 months later...
On 21/05/2023 at 08:33, Jimbo said:

Call me cynical, but all this talk of £150m sales meaning good budgets for this level…

I suspect the first £140m goes to recouping this season’s losses.

the next £50m or so to cover the delta in loss of tv income vs parachute payment receipts.

I don’t see us having a mega budget for players next season - more like make do with a lot of this squads dross and three or four key purchases.

Just bumping this for all those who question on various threads where the money has gone / talk of ‘asset stripping’ etc.

it was pretty obvious what was going to happen

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Just bumping this for all those who question on various threads where the money has gone / talk of ‘asset stripping’ etc.

Yes, I agree - when I said we were one of the top seven wealthiest Championship sides in history I was taking account of the fact we would have to spend a huge chunk settling up.

All sides relegated from the PL would find themselves in this situation, with very few exceptions. My suggestion was based on the huge size of our squad, their low average age, and huge potential (which had not been realised due to no striker & crap management decisions). Selling a good chunk of the squad, as nearly all relegated sides have to do would raise far more money than is usually the case.

This year is our best chance for a reset. Every later year will be more costly, more compromised, or have a smaller purse to buy players with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Yes it was obvious so not sure why you are positioning yourself as some kind of visionary.

I don't remember anyone thinking or saying we would be spending something like a hundred million pounds on players this season.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Yes it was obvious so not sure why you are positioning yourself as some kind of visionary.

I don't remember anyone thinking or saying we would be spending something like a hundred million pounds on players this season.

There’s plenty on this thread and the transfers thread.

not least the hysterical “where’s the money gone?” posts

10 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

There’s plenty on this thread and the transfers thread.

not least the hysterical “where’s the money gone?” posts

Just flicked through this thread and honestly no idea what you're talking about.

A few nutcases talked about asset stripping but written off as nut jobs at the time. 

Still bewildered why you are requoting your own obvious posts to give yourself an open top bus celebration over a loads of stuff no one disagreed with in the first place.

@trousers give him a medal

• Haha 1