Ron Davies

benali-shorts

Before my time, but my dearly departed dad told me more than enough stories about Ron to still make him hold a sentimental place for me. 

The club dinner referenced - wasn't that a fundraising event? I remember talk of a testimonial match taking place with all proceeds going to Ron but don't think that ever happened?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Before my time, but my dearly departed dad told me more than enough stories about Ron to still make him hold a sentimental place for me. 

The club dinner referenced - wasn't that a fundraising event? I remember talk of a testimonial match taking place with all proceeds going to Ron but don't think that ever happened?

It was the launch of Dell Diamond. We paid for his flight over from the States for him to attend. Later on we launched the Give It to Ron appeal which raised over 20,000 in a fortnight. We sorted out all Ron’s medical bills, paid off the loan on his trailer, bought him a car and even arranged to have a lot of dental work done. He was very grateful but then his partner died and he started mixing with some right Herbert’s in his trailer park and hit the booze big time. I am in touch with his sisters and brother in Wales still and they are very touched by what the Saints fans did for Ron. His brother Paul played for Arsenal and Charlton. 

• Like 12

8 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

It was the launch of Dell Diamond. We paid for his flight over from the States for him to attend. Later on we launched the Give It to Ron appeal which raised over 20,000 in a fortnight. We sorted out all Ron’s medical bills, paid off the loan on his trailer, bought him a car and even arranged to have a lot of dental work done. He was very grateful but then his partner died and he started mixing with some right Herbert’s in his trailer park and hit the booze big time. I am in touch with his sisters and brother in Wales still and they are very touched by what the Saints fans did for Ron. His brother Paul played for Arsenal and Charlton. 

That's a very sad way for his story to end. At least he's at peace now.

Ron was the best header of a ball ever in British football,any one lucky enough to have seen him play would agree.Of course he had the great Terry Paine and also John Sydenham to supply the crosses,but the man was a helluva player. If the likes of John Charles, Jackie Milburn and Nat Lofthouse were better in the air,they were truly world beaters. I believe the legendary Sir Matt Busby described Ron Davies as the best centre forward in Europe,when he scored all 4 Saints goals at Old Trafford in 1969.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Andrew Watson said:

Ron was the best header of a ball ever in British football,any one lucky enough to have seen him play would agree.Of course he had the great Terry Paine and also John Sydenham to supply the crosses,but the man was a helluva player. If the likes of John Charles, Jackie Milburn and Nat Lofthouse were better in the air,they were truly world beaters. I believe the legendary Sir Matt Busby described Ron Davies as the best centre forward in Europe,when he scored all 4 Saints goals at Old Trafford in 1969.

Absolutely, a true leaping salmon if ever I saw one.

• Like 2

What ordinary fans did for Ron was the best of the Southampton Way, magnificent - and well deserved.

Players and managers come and go, and some command respect through their achievements - the likes of Souness, Poch, Shearer, Koeman, Ings, even VVD.

But however much you might command respect, no amount of medals will make people love you, affection is not your decision.

Stokes had it, and Rodrigues, Ricky has it, Franny, Matt still does, and Ron definitely had it.

• Like 3

He really was the only player I've ever seen that could be classed as unplayable trying to defend crosses. None of this present crap, mill about in the goal area and grab a bit of shirt. Ron started his run from outside the box and had a tremendous leap. Most defenders would be giving penalties away or getting a mouth full of Ron's knees. It was my privilege to have watched him regularly. 

• Like 4

MY absolute hero. When we would wait in the car park at the Dell after training I used to be so star struck I couldn't speak to him. The amount of autographs I had from him! There used to be a stock image on the back of the echo Id always cut out and put it in my scrapbook for him to sign. Wonderful days when the cynical side of age was not there and I could believe Saints were the best in the world

• Like 5

2 hours ago, derry said:

He really was the only player I've ever seen that could be classed as unplayable trying to defend crosses. None of this present crap, mill about in the goal area and grab a bit of shirt. Ron started his run from outside the box and had a tremendous leap. Most defenders would be giving penalties away or getting a mouth full of Ron's knees. It was my privilege to have watched him regularly. 

I was a great fan of Ron Davies but to put things in perspective most centre halves were 6' tall not the 6'4"+ players of today.
That's not to say that Ron's leaping prowess would have not caused them problems.
I also think that Terry Paine's crossing ability was far superior than the current squad could provide (JWP apart (perhaps)

19 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

I was a great fan of Ron Davies but to put things in perspective most centre halves were 6' tall not the 6'4"+ players of today.
That's not to say that Ron's leaping prowess would have not caused them problems.
I also think that Terry Paine's crossing ability was far superior than the current squad could provide (JWP apart (perhaps)

And John Sydenham. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Badger said:

And John Sydenham. 

18 hours ago, Badger said:

And John Sydenham. 

19 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

....  talking of perspective ..the majority of players in the 1960's were shorter and  5'6 or 5'7 was a normal height, very few were over 6 foot.

Ron was quite tall for that era, but looking at some old pictures, he can clearly be seen jumping head and shoulders above defenders, 

and of course you are correct about Paine's  incredible crossing ability.   

In the famous England v. N.I. game in 1962 (?) at Wembley, (England won 8-3) with Paine scoring a hat-trick ...and then providing  4 assists. 

Ted Bates said (in interview) that TP could . ." see a train before it came out of the tunnel. "....... such was his excellent anticipation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Badger's reminder above ..about John Sydenham (who was just 5'6" in his socks) was also correct.     He was a  great partner for TP.

Sydie's best ever game (?) was surely supplying the crosses / assists when  Ron Davies  scored 4 goals at Old Trafford (1970)

There are some scratchy old b/w highlights to prove it - somewhere on YOU TUBE.  

20 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

Ian Ure, Jack Charlton spring to mind

On 31/05/2023 at 15:18, OldNick said:

Ian Ure, Jack Charlton spring to mind

Indeed.

Ironically enough, the only centre half I reckon played Big Ron out of a game was Billy Baxter of Ipswich Town and he was a lot shorter than Ron but he had a very impressive leap to head high balls,

Anyone else on here used to go up and wait for the players to come out after training and so try and get autographs? All of us milling around the players cars vying to get a picture signed.

Most were fantastic with us, Ted Bates always pleasant. Bobby Stokes always chirpy, Mick Channon as well, Big Ron was a bit more stand offish. The alehouse boys always very good.

I remember vividly us playing football in the car park and Gordon Honey (Chairman?) come out and tell us all to bugger off. Different attitude to young fans in those days. No doubt we were little sods, but my older brother , Tony Stacey ( now a steward) would walk from Shirley rec area to the Dell car park to wait for them. 

Edited by OldNick

12 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Anyone else on here used to go up and wait for the players to come out after training and so try and get autographs? All of us milling around the players cars vying to get a picture signed.

Most were fantastic with us, Ted Bates always pleasant. Bobby Stokes always chirpy, Mick Channon as well, Big Ron was a bit more stand offish. The alehouse boys always very good.

I remember vividly us playing football in the car park and Gordon Honey (Chairman?) come out and tell us all to bugger off. Different attitude to young fans in those days. No doubt we were little sods, but my older brother , Tony Stacey ( now a steward) would walk from Shirley rec area to the Dell car park to wait for them. 

Gordon Baker was the Secretary who was replaced by Keith Honey. 
the Chairman at the time was George Reader. You ve managed to mangle three into one 😀

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Gordon Baker was the Secretary who was replaced by Keith Honey. 
the Chairman at the time was George Reader. You ve managed to mangle three into one 😀

It was Keith Honey, Lol..........of course it could have been all 3

On 02/06/2023 at 09:09, OldNick said:

He was probably in a hurry to get to the Fitzhugh. He used to sit in the public bar there after training.

1 hour ago, Nordic Saint said:

He was probably in a hurry to get to the Fitzhugh. He used to sit in the public bar there after training.

Lol, ah yes the Fitzhugh, the haunt for many a Saints star. I have never visited it. I assume it is still there

On 31/05/2023 at 15:01, david in sweden said:

....  talking of perspective ..the majority of players in the 1960's were shorter and  5'6 or 5'7 was a normal height, very few were over 6 foot.

Ron was quite tall for that era, but looking at some old pictures, he can clearly be seen jumping head and shoulders above defenders, 

and of course you are correct about Paine's  incredible crossing ability.   

In the famous England v. N.I. game in 1962 (?) at Wembley, (England won 8-3) with Paine scoring a hat-trick ...and then providing  4 assists. 

Ted Bates said (in interview) that TP could . ." see a train before it came out of the tunnel. "....... such was his excellent anticipation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Badger's reminder above ..about John Sydenham (who was just 5'6" in his socks) was also correct.     He was a  great partner for TP.

Sydie's best ever game (?) was surely supplying the crosses / assists when  Ron Davies  scored 4 goals at Old Trafford (1970)

There are some scratchy old b/w highlights to prove it - somewhere on YOU TUBE.