Happy Mauricio Pellegrino Day (23 June)

AlexLaw76

2 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Please don’t. I thought I’d got over his tenure but apparently not.

To be honest after Jones and Selles his stock has risen and he's fallen a couple of places in the Worst Saints Manager of all time list !

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I prefer him to Jones. As inept as Pellegrino was, he did at least seem like a very nice bloke who did a really nice "goodbye" considering he hadn't been with us long.

Jones is not only a dreadful manager but a complete dick of a person as well.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I prefer him to Jones. As inept as Pellegrino was, he did at least seem like a very nice bloke who did a really nice "goodbye" considering he hadn't been with us long.

Jones is not only a dreadful manager but a complete dick of a person as well.

Also very unlucky. But for cheating at Watford seen by everyone but the officials he would have come away with a morale-boosting 3 points

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

What a wonderful day this was in 2023.  We hired a manager who was more front-footed than a front-footed thing....

Amazing day in 2017, one that will stay with us all.

image.png.d00b8b1a64b9870a5701fe4e5e624207.png

The quote about his style of play is so magnificently inaccurate.  But what's weird is, anyone who had a quick google on his work at Alaves could tell you that.

• Like 2

For me our worst manager, ahead of Jones. At least Jones came into a team that was struggling and way too bloated. Pellegrino took over a team that had just come 8th and lost a cup final by fine margins. Then add to it the fact he spunked a load of money on his mate when he should’ve been sacked weeks before, and benefitted from that by taking him on loan at his next club. Complete shambles from start to finish. 

• Like 1

On 23/06/2023 at 12:17, Kenilworthy said:

Also very unlucky. But for cheating at Watford seen by everyone but the officials he would have come away with a morale-boosting 3 points

Was that the one with Austin's park life style rant that saw VAR introduced?

19 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Was that the one with Austin's park life style rant that saw VAR introduced?

no wasn’t that under hughes and was at home? yoshida in the firing line leading to a dubious offside call

The cheating at watford was away and was the doucoure obvious handball. 

On 24/06/2023 at 14:57, SotonianWill said:

no wasn’t that under hughes and was at home? yoshida in the firing line leading to a dubious offside call

The cheating at watford was away and was the doucoure obvious handball. 

Oh yes, you're right. Both Watford though I think!

On 23/06/2023 at 12:17, Kenilworthy said:

I remember thinking that he seemed to be continuously unlucky, we'd often play quite well but never win.  But after a while I realised it had nothing to do with luck - he just had no idea how to win games of football at that level.

Mauricio believes with the quality we have we can play exciting, attacking football, taking the game to our opponents by playing a high-intensity game. He will continue to develop and introduce young players whilst building on the core of experience that we have in the squad. During the recruitment process Mauricio quickly became our first choice and, while he had other options, we are delighted he feels that St Mary’s is the right place for him and we believe he is the right fit for us.

Nice one, Les.

Can anyone find the thread that originally announced Pellegrino's appointment? I seem to recall those who knew his style at Alaves were suggesting from the get-go we were unlikely to do very well.

3 hours ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Nice one, Les.

Can anyone find the thread that originally announced Pellegrino's appointment? I seem to recall those who knew his style at Alaves were suggesting from the get-go we were unlikely to do very well.

🤣

Les Reed was just winging it by then

Edited by AlexLaw76