Electric Cars...

Farmer Saint

So with the price of second hand petrol cars increasing, and electric cars plummeting, (2020 iPace for circa £20k, Model 3 £18k, Etron and EQC around £25k) is it now worth it to purchase these cars. We need a "local" car to replace our 150k mile Disco 4, and we also have solar panels, so was thinking about it now the prices have dropped so much. Any EV owners have any interesting insights into this? 

Edited by Farmer Saint

i've just bought a BMW 330e touring. Only had it a week but it's fantastic so far. Battery range is officially 40 but realistically is more like 25 this time of year but most of my mileage is round town or the occasional long journey for work or to see family so hybrid is right for me. Takes about 3 hours to charge, which is slower than i thought and costs a couple of quid. Car itself is great, it's the Msport pro model so really nice to drives and looks the part as well.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/01/2024 at 17:12, Farmer Saint said:

So with the price of second hand petrol cars increasing, and electric cars plummeting, (2020 iPace for circa £20k, Model 3 £18k, Etron and EQC around £25k) is it now worth it to purchase these cars. We need a "local" car to replace our 150k mile Disco 4, and we also have solar panels, so was thinking about it now the prices have dropped so much. Any EV owners have any interesting insights into this? 

if you have solar panels then its a no brainer, especially if you can stretch to a Powerwall battery as well. 

I have an electric car and it's a pleasure to drive. As well as the fuel savings, granted not as significant as they used to be (though with your panels etc. happy days), people forget the really low maintenance. I think most have regenerative braking, it's amazing. My car has done 62K, they are only 50% worn on the pads and 65% on the discs. They are a b it rusty however, through lack of use. No oil changes, a couple of cabin filters and that's about it. 

Th range is fine is you work with it, just know your limits and plan long journeys  

On 30/01/2024 at 11:58, Turkish said:

i've just bought a BMW 330e touring. Only had it a week but it's fantastic so far. Battery range is officially 40 but realistically is more like 25 this time of year but most of my mileage is round town or the occasional long journey for work or to see family so hybrid is right for me. Takes about 3 hours to charge, which is slower than i thought and costs a couple of quid. Car itself is great, it's the Msport pro model so really nice to drives and looks the part as well.

Is that the PHEV version? It's one of the models we can get through work, would you still say it was decent and any particular optionals you'd say are worth having?

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Is that the PHEV version? It's one of the models we can get through work, would you still say it was decent and any particular optionals you'd say are worth having?

Yes PHEV. I got 2 year old  the 330e M sport pro addition so lots of extras, looks the part nice trim, black alloys privacy glass at the back. was an ex company car so mileage a little higher than average but well looked after. really nice drive, very comfortable 

economically it’s great did a 340 mile round trip last week and probably cost about £40 in fuel, my last car was double that. 

11 hours ago, Turkish said:

Yes PHEV. I got 2 year old  the 330e M sport pro addition so lots of extras, looks the part nice trim, black alloys privacy glass at the back. was an ex company car so mileage a little higher than average but well looked after. really nice drive, very comfortable 

economically it’s great did a 340 mile round trip last week and probably cost about £40 in fuel, my last car was double that. 

Cheers. 👍

27 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Cheers. 👍

by the way I got the estate rather than the saloon, i thought it looked so much nicer plus extra boot space for footballs, golf clubs etc

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Turkish said:

Was that on one battery charge?

33 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Was that on one battery charge?

yes. The official range is about 40 miles, the real range is more like 20, but i did that trip with one charge plus petrol and even though it said the battery was empty coming back it still went to electric when i was at lights, in traffic etc 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Turkish said:

yes. The official range is about 40 miles, the real range is more like 20, but i did that trip with one charge plus petrol and even though it said the battery was empty coming back it still went to electric when i was at lights, in traffic etc 

Thanks, that’s interesting.

From what I had read about hybrids their consumption figures when not on battery power are not all that impressive.

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

From what I had read about hybrids their consumption figures when not on battery power are not all that impressive.

I've had it 6 weeks and probably put in about £100 worth of petrol, tank currently has about 150 miles left. Saving a fortune in fuel costs, think is costs about £1.50-2 to charge the battery up. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I also looked at the Qashqai e-power put was put off for that reason. Even though it's direct electric drive it only does a not too inspiring 45mpg.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We had two Genesis models over a couple of weeks and found the whole escapade a massive let down.

The cars are great and drive fantastically, the tech on them is amazing, but without a home charger we ended up paying the same price as petrol, taking ten times as long to fill up, while living with ludicrous planning ahead to get anywhere.

The thought of heading up country and trying to guess whether a charger would be available and how long it would take doesn't fit the way we are used to living our lives, and I'm not sure I want to add hours to journeys so I can drink shit coffee in service stations.

The no home charger bit is clearly the main issue here, but the infrastructure still seems to be no where near where it needs to be for a proper electric revolution.