Saints 3-0 Watford - Match Thread

goodymatt

Whilst the Bindippers won't be quaking in their boots at the prospect of facing us I am sure they'll have taken note of our unbeaten run and be aware this could be a potential banana skin for them. The bookies will rightly make them firm favourites but we can go to Anfield with nothing to lose and have a right good go at them because we have bigger fish to fry. Provided we start with a strong midfield including Downes and Smallbone we'll be more than capable of giving them plenty to think about and it will be very interesting to see how our risk reward strategy holds up against high quality opponents. Has the makings of a great game if we hold our nerve and play in a relaxed manner without fear. Let's get at them and give them a fright and spoil Klopp's leaving party.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, saintant said:

Whilst the Bindippers won't be quaking in their boots at the prospect of facing us I am sure they'll have taken note of our unbeaten run and be aware this could be a potential banana skin for them. The bookies will rightly make them firm favourites but we can go to Anfield with nothing to lose and have a right good go at them because we have bigger fish to fry. Provided we start with a strong midfield including Downes and Smallbone we'll be more than capable of giving them plenty to think about and it will be very interesting to see how our risk reward strategy holds up against high quality opponents. Has the makings of a great game if we hold our nerve and play in a relaxed manner without fear. Let's get at them and give them a fright and spoil Klopp's leaving party.

A tantalising prospect indeed. Is Russ ready to test his high flying side against the best the PL can offer and put out his very best team or will he still see us as a work in progress and not be quite ready yet to show his full hand.  

If Liverpool beat us and end our successful run he (and WE) can rightly say it took arguably the best team in the country (world?) to stop us. On that basis he might as well give last night's "B" team another run out to see what they can do.

Either way we should not feel too downbeat about a loss in the same way we would if a Championship side ended ur run. After all, all good things must come to an end.

We will be putting all of our best players and young talent in the shop window for the world to see and the greedy big clubs the world over will be alerted and maybe turn covetous eyes on our players. We must hope that SR are resolute in their determination to build a top class side and keep it in Southampton shirts.

A Southampton win could start a wild fire.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rallyboy said:

So that's you outside my house!

I wondered what was going on.

I'll look you out some clothes, what size are you, looks like XXXL from here but it might be that Yogi Bear costume making you look bigger.

Leave that Martin Out placard by the gatehouse and walk up the drive, I'll get one of the staff to let you in.

Not laughing at you, laughing at the comment as it is good to get a humourous response 👍

• Like 1

16 hours ago, whelk said:

Bs you cannot

You could watch the game at Watford but the Replay last night was not on Bet365 I did put a follow-up message saying that. I don't think any Sports channels in the world give a fuck about replays 

13 hours ago, Jack said:

Anyone got bet365 to work? 

Nice assist from Chele according to Tessem. And a smart instinctive finish 

Wasn't on the App last I assumed because the original game was on. I think it only works when it is being shown by a sport channel somewhere in the world!!

2 hours ago, musesaint said:

What a run for this team!

All this winning is starting to get very unSaintly! Keep thinking I’m going to wake up and it’s all been a crazy dream.

You're very unlikely to see the the like of it again. If you're young savor it and take it in because even if Saints go on to conquer Europe in the future  you will always remember the time when Saints went 24 (and counting) games undefeated. If you're old and grumpy like me just enjoy it because this could be as good as it gets for us.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Ekelund24 said:

Wasn't on the App last I assumed because the original game was on. I think it only works when it is being shown by a sport channel somewhere in the world!!

Yeah is weird why same stream rules didn’t apply to replays. Been spoiled with expectation that can see every game and was like being back in the old days

Dibling was very good and a threat every time he got the ball. Got his fullback hooked. Would be good to see that in league form. He got very wound up after getting booked for a dive (which did look a dive) but it encouraged him to pick up the ball and drive even more. Good to see some fire and grit if the Grealish comparisons are going to hold, and we were told he was a quiet and shy lad when he came back from Chelsea. Early shout for future captain and talisman like Grealish was at Villa.

Also a shout for Adam Armstrong when he came showing a lot of commitment when Watford just wanted to get on the bus home. Got a booking for sticking up for one of the kids which is a worthwhile booking as it sets the tone for being a team and one for all. Martin wasn't happy that the Watford player didnt get his (second?) booking.

Stuart Armstrong also good when he came on when I thought he had a shocker last game. Need to treat him carefully without Alcaraz now so I winced a little seeing him come on but a little cameo like that will do no harm.

Icing on the cake would have been Mara hatrick that i don't reckon was far wide, and goals for both Sam's that hit the post. 5 or 6 by the end of that game wouldn't have flattered.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, whelk said:

Yeah is weird why same stream rules didn’t apply to replays. Been spoiled with expectation that can see every game and was like being back in the old days

I know the original game was on ESPN + but the only replays on that channel are the ones shown on BBC and ITV. I noticed the game didn't have the symbol that means you can watch it on the app after I mentioned it would be on Bet365. I think I got to Albanian channel 15 before I gave up last night 🙂

1 hour ago, miserableoldgit said:

According to Adam and Jo, he had a good game......certainly up to the point where he was taken out by a Hornet.

He did have a good game that opinion is wrong and watching different player. 
He made lots of driving runs kept it neat and tidy and his pace on recovery got us out of jail a couple of times.

He looks a good loan signing for this squad.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

He did have a good game that opinion is wrong and watching different player. 
He made lots of driving runs kept it neat and tidy and his pace on recovery got us out of jail a couple of times.

He looks a good loan signing for this squad.

Strange how opinions vary so widely. 

1 hour ago, miserableoldgit said:

Strange how opinions vary so widely. 

So for first goal he played pass into Che went for return but Mara scored. He took great free kick for Adams goal.

As my above comments these were additions to his all round game yet one says shouldn’t be on pitch …I’ll stick with my opinion rather than his.

2 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Full view of that sekou wonder goal starting with lumleys  passing…https://x.com/saintssocialite/status/1755211491970515232?s=46&t=l5Q4mkKSxz5qdVtggXqogw

Love the fact that Dibling shows the confidence to play cooly at the back so is involved there and then finds a pocket of space to receive the ball before making his brilliant driving run. This lad could be some player.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

So for first goal he played pass into Che went for return but Mara scored. He took great free kick for Adams goal.

As my above comments these were additions to his all round game yet one says shouldn’t be on pitch …I’ll stick with my opinion rather than his.

Yours seem to be the consensus. May be it is because he is not a "big" name and he is taking CA.s place that people have these opinions....

30 minutes ago, saintant said:

Love the fact that Dibling shows the confidence to play cooly at the back so is involved there and then finds a pocket of space to receive the ball before making his brilliant driving run.

And then Jack Stephens goes over to Dibling to tell him how well he had done.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, saintant said:

Love the fact that Dibling shows the confidence to play cooly at the back so is involved there and then finds a pocket of space to receive the ball before making his brilliant driving run. This lad could be some player.

He could so easily have laid it off to Smallbone but decided to run instead. And it was a great decision

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ekelund24 said:

The BBC showed on youtube and their match  report a miserly 3 mins.  Has anyone here made a longer video of the game.  If  so please post it on this thread.

good  goals from Mars and Che.

15 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

He could so easily have laid it off to Smallbone but decided to run instead. And it was a great decision

He has a deceptive / languid looking change of pace that deceives defenders but more importantly he uses his body intelligently to get in front of players who have no choice but to let him go- or foul him- very MLT style- and he also seems physically strong.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

The BBC showed on youtube and their match  report a miserly 3 mins.  Has anyone here made a longer video of the game.  If  so please post it on this thread.

good  goals from Mars and Che.

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

Full view of that sekou wonder goal starting with lumleys  passing…https://x.com/saintssocialite/status/1755211491970515232?s=46&t=l5Q4mkKSxz5qdVtggXqogw

with credit to @saintssocialite and @southamptonfc

thanks

6 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

A tantalising prospect indeed. Is Russ ready to test his high flying side against the best the PL can offer and put out his very best team or will he still see us as a work in progress and not be quite ready yet to show his full hand.  

If Liverpool beat us and end our successful run he (and WE) can rightly say it took arguably the best team in the country (world?) to stop us. On that basis he might as well give last night's "B" team another run out to see what they can do.

Either way we should not feel too downbeat about a loss in the same way we would if a Championship side ended ur run. After all, all good things must come to an end.

We will be putting all of our best players and young talent in the shop window for the world to see and the greedy big clubs the world over will be alerted and maybe turn covetous eyes on our players. We must hope that SR are resolute in their determination to build a top class side and keep it in Southampton shirts.

A Southampton win could start a wild fire.

Agreed. Liverpool is a free hit. My lads were worried about beating Watford because we'll probably have the run ended by Liverpool, but we'd have had it ended by Watford otherwise, which I think definitely would have knocked the wheels out of a shape a bit. Playing and losing to Liverpool is no slight on us whatsoever, we have nothing to lose! If we get beat, it's expected and we can focus on the league having enjoyed a run out at a top PL club again, and if we beat them, even better!

Couldn't have gone better IMO.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gio1saints said:

The second Mara goal actually started with Lumley playing wall passes with his defenders on the rh side of the penalty areathree times under tight pressing by Watford - before a pass was made that you see from the tv clips set Dibling off on a strong run. Really spectacular PB goal. Best example I’ve ever seen live from saints - literally Lumley touched the ball three times in the build up of maybe ten eleven Total passes before the goal. Watford just chasing shadows . He should get the assist. 

https://x.com/JustSaints_/status/1755202340448096320?s=20

18 hours ago, trousers said:

How on earth was their number 5 not booked for that cynical foul on Dibling? (Assuming he wasn't)

Edit: just seen it from another angle and not as bad as I first thought,so ignore me

It's typical play by these big lumbering journeyman backs to try to physically intimidate raw young kids and leave their mask on them. He should have been shown a red straight away. Fortunately Tyler Dibling is a big lad and although only 17 he seems able to look after himself and wasn't phased at all by that incident. It was noticeable that he used his physical strength well in tussles with opponents.

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

It's typical play by these big lumbering journeyman backs to try to physically intimidate raw young kids and leave their mask on them. He should have been shown a red straight away. Fortunately Tyler Dibling is a big lad and although only 17 he seems able to look after himself and wasn't phased at all by that incident. It was noticeable that he used his physical strength well in tussles with opponents.

Same defender who sent Edozie flying by bodychecking him- which gave us the free kick we got the third from